• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rocket Gachat: Good or Bad?

I think the Rocket Gachat would be fine if it was something they used in addition to having permanent Pokémon. I do like that we get art of the Pokémon they call, although I would prefer those Pokémon not be powerhouses, because seeing what is supposed to be a strong Pokémon lose every time is going to get old faster than Bewear did. The Gachat is not an inherently terrible idea, but it hasn't been used well thus far. Much like a lot of other things in this series...

It's great because it means they don't have to waste episodes showing Team Rocket bonding with their pokemon

Plus, it shows that Team Rocket actually captures pokemon for agents to use, which is nice

I don't see how showing Team Rocket bonding with their Pokemon is a waste. They are replaced at the end of their respective series, but with that same logic, then the episodes focused on any trainer bonding with their Pokemon in the anime is a waste of time too. Ash always starts off a fresh team and we're lucky if we see older characters pop back up after their respective series too.

The Rocket Gang bond with their Pokemon because they aren't actually that bad at heart unlike their evil organization. They often help the heroes when a bigger threat shows up as well as look out for the well being of Pokemon when that becomes a pressing issue. Sure, one could argue they look the other way to the cruelty of their organization, but that is not even brought up enough to matter in the context of the anime.

Making them out now to be heartless monsters who don't care about their Pokemon at all seems a little late to me in terms of completely reversing their entire characterization.

Last edited:
It honestly sucks. I prefer when Team Rocket catch Pokemon for themselves even if they're usually weak. Having them get random strong Pokemon from that gachat thing doesn't even matter if at the end of the day those Pokemon will get creamed by Ash & Go anyways.

It's a cool idea from a surface level, but it can potentially ruin their characters if you try to get a deeper look. As it stands, the gatcha is a mere plot device that removes any need for development for the TRio, which in turn, makes them feel like plot devices themselves, even more so than how they were in the earlier series.

If you had paid attention you would know they wouldn't have liked it at HQ, I'm like the others

I did. It was still an utterly shit reason, they don't need to leave their Pokemon at the HQ. I literally pointed out they only did it for an actual reason twice, there was no reason Inkay and Gourgeist couldn't have stuck around much like Mareanie and Mimikyu didn't need to get released or stuck at HQ.

There is no rule at all that says they have to leave their Pokemon

It's a cool idea from a surface level, but it can potentially ruin their characters if you try to get a deeper look. As it stands, the gatcha is a mere plot device that removes any need for development for the TRio, which in turn, makes them feel like plot devices themselves, even more so than how they were in the earlier series.

It makes TRio focused episodes completely pointless, we don't get to see Jessie or James get closer or show off their bond to their Pokemon when you know.... they don't own anything!

They should at least give James a Pokemon that sticks around permanently, not really fair he's got nothing. Even worse than when he went 10 episodes with nothing in both SM and BW!

I did. It was still an utterly shit reason, they don't need to leave their Pokemon at the HQ. I literally pointed out they only did it for an actual reason twice, there was no reason Inkay and Gourgeist couldn't have stuck around much like Mareanie and Mimikyu didn't need to get released or stuck at HQ.

There is no rule at all that says they have to leave their Pokemon
Every pokémon they captured actually belongs to Sakaki-sama. So no, there is a pretty good reason to leave them in Alola, because their boss might take their pokémon for himself, just like how he send them to Alola with only Sonansu.

The sequence of Pelliper dropping the Gachat -> Jessie and James putting Meowth's koban in the slot -> the Gachaballs coming out of the Gachat -> J&J sending out the pokemon -> both pokemon getting a still shot as they're identified drags on far too long for my liking. It really brings down what little excitment the TRio battles usually bring.

Honestly I hate it. I always loved team rocket bonding with their Pokémon. Now that they’re not allowed to catch Pokémon for themselves, they suck even more. It’s like the whole thing with Jessie’s mimikyu. Sure he was the strongest Pokémon team rocket ever owned, but his hatred of pikachu made him practically useless against other Pokémon. And he barely got to bond with Jessie. I always felt like he would just leave team rocket because of how violent he was.

Every pokémon they captured actually belongs to Sakaki-sama. So no, there is a pretty good reason to leave them in Alola, because their boss might take their pokémon for himself, just like how he send them to Alola with only Sonansu.

No they don't. lol
Otherwise Giovanni would have given them shit for releasing Arbok, Weezing, Victreebel, Cacnea, Chimecho, and Dustox.
And they wouldn't have taken Arbok/Weezing to Johto/Hoenn. Or Cacnea/Seviper to Kanto/Sinnoh along with Mime Jr leaving Kanto along with them.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom