• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rocket Gachat: Good or Bad?

Predictions:

At one point they are going to get disobedient pokemon.
It seems like an obvious joke to do, yeah.
I mean, one could argue the gacha mon would be carefully trained to obey whomever comes out, but, mistakes happen and with the TRio's luck if there's any in there that are troublesome they'll draw them at some point.

No they don't. lol
Since when pokémon they catch doesn't belong to their boss?
Otherwise Giovanni would have given them shit for releasing Arbok, Weezing, Victreebel, Cacnea, Chimecho, and Dustox.
He doesn't know that they released them though? Same as their Alola pokémon.
And they wouldn't have taken Arbok/Weezing to Johto/Hoenn. Or Cacnea/Seviper to Kanto/Sinnoh along with Mime Jr leaving Kanto along with them.
Why? Back then they barely had communication with their boss and HQ, and Sakaki wasn't even remembering who they are in the beginning of DP. They, also, didn't have a visit to HQ between those regions. And they're leaving their pokémon since then

I don't like it. I really miss the Team Rocket trio having their own Pokemon, with their own quirks (other than Meowth and Wobbuffet, of course). And from a narrative perspective, it doesn't make sense to give them such powerful Pokemon, if they're just going to be defeated as easily as they were before.

I can't help but be reminded Grating Spaces, where they accidentally got a Charizard and an Aggron delivered to them that should have gone to Butch and Cassidy (speaking of which, I'd really like to see them again too). Jessie and James proceed to use these Pokemon to utterly destroy Ash and his friends, including Brock's newly evolved Steelix. It takes everyone working together to take them down.
Or, heck, in The Battle Of The Badge, where Giovanni loans them some of his own Pokemon to serve as substitute gym leaders. They have Ash on the ropes for most of the battle, and only some out-of-the-box thinking on Ash's part assures his victory.

In both of these cases,Jessie and James were given powerful Pokemon to control, and proceeded to kick Ash and co.'s asses with them. The implication, of course, is that the only thing stopping them from doing so on a regular basis is the fact that their own Pokemon aren't very strong. But now that they are getting strong Pokemon, why are they still as ineffectual and pathetic as ever? Either give them some Galar Pokemon of their own, or have the Rocket Gatchat make them a genuine threat!

Bad.
Them getting Pokemon they'll used just once and likely never again doesn't sit well with me. It helped develop them AND the Pokemon in question over the course of the saga. Now it's just them using a Pokemon only once and never again while using a gimmick even more worn out than their character-type. This is Pocket Monsters, not a Senten show.

Also, there's something depressing about them having otherwise formidable Pokemon that are defeated easily JUST because it's the TRio...
It's unfair to all involved :cry:

Last edited:
I think the machine could have an interesting story down the line, say Musashi or Kojiro capture or befriend a weak Pokemon themselves that wants to battle/jumps in, or maybe they befriend one of the Pokemon that come out of the Gachat?

I could see an upside of adding more variety of attacks to Rocket battles but if Musashi and Kojiro were each allowed to have more than one Pokemon (excluding Nyarth and Sonansu) that could achieve the same thing. Plus with only three appearances so far it would have been difficult to be redundant anyway.

Like many things with this series I hope it changes for the better in the future but as of right now my hopes aren't very high.

I have to question the logistics of this machine. Rather than letting Team Rocket pick Pokemon best suited for the job, Giovanni just makes them pick randomly and expect them to work with it?

I'm mixed on it, myself. I liked when Team Rocket bonded with their Pokemon, since those tended to be the better episodes of a saga. But most of the time, they're just memes or boring battle fodder, so they get stale. I'd much rather have new and random Pokemon each week, just to mix it up a little. But my ideal solution would be for J & J to have one mascot Pokemon each, while still relying on the Gacha for their heavy hitters. Or have Giovanni get so sick of the humans failing, Gacha privileges go exclusively to Meowth.

In short, bring back Mime Jr.

Now it started to only give out one ball.
I think, in a short period of time, it will stop giving out Pokéballs at all. And the TRIo will stop using the god forsaken machine and bringing their old mons back. And yes, we all want the episode that has the return of Arbok and Weezing!

I think, in a short period of time, it will stop giving out Pokéballs at all. And the TRIo will stop using the god forsaken machine and bringing their old mons back. And yes, we all want the episode that has the return of Arbok and Weezing!

Arbok and Weezing have been released with a great episode but they have many Pokémon that remain at headquarters that never received a proper separation...

Maybe that means Giovanni is starting to lose his trust in them.

Gachat reminds me of those Max Steel ads where Max Steel always has just the right weapon to counter Elementor's current power, it's an easy escape for the writers to give them whatever can cause the most trouble at the moment. But to be fair it also has proven to provide for some quite funny moments.

If Gachat doesn't mean Jessie and James won't try to catch Pokémon for themselves, I'm fine with it, minus the obvious fact that Pelipper could perfectly have been Delibird. Not that I expected more from this anime though.

I have to question the logistics of this machine. Rather than letting Team Rocket pick Pokemon best suited for the job, Giovanni just makes them pick randomly and expect them to work with it?
This. This right here is my main issue with the Rocket Gachat machine from the very beginning. I'm perfectly fine with the idea of giving the Rocket trio more diversity in terms of their choice of Pokemon, but why on earth must the choice be inherently random?

Yes, I'm aware that out-of-universe, the Pokemon that the Rocket trio get aren't random at all and are chosen by the writers of the show to fit the premise of each episode. Yes, I'm aware that out-of-universe, the Gachat machine itself is a reference to the fact that Pokeballs are based on capsule toys that can be obtained from gachapon machines. But in-universe, it just doesn't make sense at all. If the writers wanted to diversify the Pokemon that the Rocket trio can use, they could've just given the trio a sack of Pokeballs and let them choose for themselves which Pokemon they want to use to showcase their tactical abilities. Or maybe have some sort of advanced machine that analyzes the situation the Rocket trio are in and give them Pokemon best suited to tackling said situation. Both of these methods achieve the same goal in a believable way. But nope, let's just make it completely random, because gambling is fun.

I'm aware that a lot of the show's premise regarding the Rocket trio generally makes no sense (eg. How do they constantly pull giant mechas out of thin air? Why hasn't Giovanni fired them yet despite the Rocket Trio accomplishing nearly nothing in Alola?), but this just pushes my suspension of disbelief through the ceiling, completely shattering it. I simply can't picture Giovanni sitting in his office, thinking of ways to power up the Rocket trio and unironically concluding that a gachapon machine is the best way of accomplishing said task. Just... no, it's impossible.

As entertaining as it is to watch the Rocket trio get weird and wacky Pokemon from the machine (eg. Splash Wailord and Power Whip Bellsprout), it doesn't fix the underlying issue that the Rocket Gachat machine simply makes absolutely no sense from an in-universe perspective. There's plenty of ways to diversify the Rocket Trio's party without making them or their boss look like absolutely incompetent human beings, and that's not even including the obvious solution of letting the trio catch new Pokemon or use their previous Pokemon.

I hate this machine and his stupid smirk.

It's not fair, Ash catches Dragonite and Team Rocket cannot have anything of their own?

At least I have seen some light in the last episode (Dark Rotomdex, Drednaw)that maybe Team Rocket will get his own Pokemon, but come on if the twerp can use Mr Mime why cannot Jessie use Seviper or Yanmega, Or James can use Yamask and Mime Jr, Why they cannot have their own new Kanto Pokemon like Parasect for James and Seadra for Jessie for example or Houndoom and Octillery for Johto,Breelom and Bannette for Hoenn, Vesqpiquen and Drifblim for Sinnoh,Reuniculus and Bisharp for Unova,Pyroar and Dragalge for Kalos
and Shinotic and Aquaracnid for Alola appart from their old mons also getting a Galar capture like Cramorant,Sandaconda,Impdimp,Polteageist,Thievul...

Also I would like to see one scene in the future Alola episode. The Team Rocket summons the gatchat then a shadow appears and Wood Hammers the machine, the shadow is revealed to be non other than Mimmikyu and his evil aura.

Last edited:
Well we need to apreciate what is probably the first Rocket capture in Galar

THE CHEWSTER

EQ5WTTOUYAAj2jI.jpg

Last edited:
Its interesting that the latest episode saw Team Rocket use the Gachat and not one but two Dusclops were used instead of two seperate Pokemon.

One thing I liked about it is we haven't seen Dusclops since DP061 so who knows when we might have seen a Dusclops next

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom