• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rocket Gachat: Good or Bad?

I'm getting tired of it but hey it's still better than some alternatives like TRio getting to keep that Chewtle from a few episodes ago. :sick:

Why it's exactly bad with that? they have Pokémon of their OWN. That helps them getting development, if they want to keep up with Ash Pokémon then let them catch Pokémon like Cramorant,Houndoom,Sandaconda,Mismagius IDK

This is a common trend in anime, the random enemy of the day, is like the Black Gear/Ring in Digimon, The Black Magic Enterprises in Legendz or the Eggman Robot Deck in Sonic X, but it does not fit Team Rocket who for 23 years had Pokemon of their own. And last year they had two really original Pokémon in their party.

Also Im more proud where Team Rocket Pokémon like Carnivin,Yammask,Mimmikyu,Marearnie,Yanmega... Put a good fight against the twerps, I miss that.

So in other words , If Team Rocket would have used this machine since 1997 I would probably not care for them now.

Edit: OMG Thank you for the likes to everybody.Makes me feel really confortable knowing that Im not alone with this...

Last edited:
Why it's exactly bad with that? they have Pokémon of their OWN. That helps them getting development, if they want to keep up with Ash Pokémon then let them catch Pokémon like Cramorant,Houndoom,Sandaconda,Mismagius IDK

This is a common trend in anime, the random enemy of the day, is like the Black Gear/Ring in Digimon, The Black Magic Enterprises in Legendz or the Eggman Robot Deck in Sonic X, but it does not fit Team Rocket who for 23 years had Pokemon of their own. And last year they had two really original Pokémon in their party.

Also Im more proud where Team Rocket Pokémon like Carnivin,Yammask,Mimmikyu,Marearnie,Yanmega... Put a good fight against the twerps, I miss that.

So in other words , If Team Rocket would have used this machine since 1997 I would probably not care for them now.

Edit: OMG Thank you for the likes to everybody.Makes me feel really confortable knowing that Im not alone with this...

I was mainly expressing my dislike of Chewtle. That was the crux of my post.

But since you're going for the whole 'TRio need development' angle - not that I disagree that they could use more episodes - but I'll just go ahead and say that even if they had their own teams I wouldn't for a second believe that the writers would suddenly care about TRio's development. They haven't cared in years unfortunately, and that doesn't seem like something that will change no matter how many people sign petitions or whatever the TRio's voice actors asked their fans to do. I like TRio, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that they'll ever have DP-levels of relevance and appearances again. :(

Last edited:
I was mainly expressing my dislike of Chewtle. That was the crux of my post.

But since you're going for the whole 'TRio need development' angle - not that I disagree that they could use more episodes - but I'll just go ahead and say that even if they had their own teams I wouldn't for a second believe that the writers would suddenly care about TRio's development. They haven't cared in years unfortunately, and that doesn't seem like something that will change no matter how many people sign petitions or whatever the TRio's voice actors asked their fans to do. I like TRio, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that they'll ever have DP-levels of relevance and appearances again. :(

I have a confession to do... I dislike Chewtle as a species, but I liked the moment where they catched it, It gave me hope. Also Mimmikyu to me was a meh Pokémon untill the anime aired,same with Marearnie or Yamask, Cacnea. I would love any Pokémon Team Rocket catches even if it is as ugly as Chewtle. The same happens with Ash I can assure to you that now I will give a different look now at Gengar and Dragonite. Shame...

I think you are not right saying that Team Rocket have not had any development sinde DP, BW gave us something different,not good but different for example a Meowth arc, XY gave us some good moments,Jessie and Wobuffet quest of love, James and Inkay, and Sun & Moon gave us the best Rockets since early OS. Also a Jessie vs James fight, and Bewear.

The problem I have with Team Rocket now is that they feel kinda empty, no original plans, no strategies. I remember how in DP they always made a anti-Pikachu strategy, specially those that made Pikachu thunderbolt hurt other Pokemon, did you see in what cage they put the Dragonite? Yeah not good...

Also I dont know but I liked DP Team Rocket cause they had balls, even knowing that they were going to lose they tried and tried again and again. I loved when they owned Ash or Dawn in DP. Putting Pikachu in a cage and seeing Ash raging face is one of those moments I have been missing lately. Maybe the balls they had are inside the gatcha machine...

I think the biggest problem with the Gachat might be that without Pokémon of their own Team Rocket are less likely to get episodes that focus only on them which is usually where they shine the brightest.

Team Rocket are good character with flaws and likeable qualities which we get to see in episodes like that. When the focus isn't on them, they end up becoming punching bags and the likeable parts of their personalities doesn't shine through.

I think SM Team Rocket was great because it gave them more episodes that focused only on them as characters. Another good thing about SM was that they were somewhat competent and even won against Satoshi sometimes which made them less predictable even when the focus wasn't solely on them.

They didn’t appear every episode, but every episode kept their characters and provided interesting plots with their Pokémon.

While I understand the need for Team Rocket to have their own Pokemon for bonding and development purposes.

The issue is keeping them viably as a threat, so much to the point given Ash's Pokemon team, probably would be better to retire them permanently.

But the Gatcha machine actually provides viably strong Pokemon for Team Rocket to use so that Ash doesn't constantly one shot them with their Cramorant for example. I wouldn't mind a combination of them having Pokemon for the sake of Pokemon while only using the Gatcha machine for battles against Ash, but I'm not entirely sure how that would work.

The issue is keeping them viably as a threat, so much to the point given Ash's Pokemon team, probably would be better to retire them permanently.
Let’s not pretend that they can’t give Team Rocket more powerful Pokémon- they already did in the last saga with Mimikyu, which I’m prepared to bet is stronger than all the main cast Pokémon bar Kiawe and Ash's. It can even give Ash's Rowlet a run for its money.

Anyways, the TRio isn’t even presented as a viable threat to Ash in the first place, and they don’t even battle him enough times for it to count.

TRio is only seen as a threat when they manage to take Pikachu out of the equation. In the next episode I see two options:

-They manage to subdue Pikachu and Dragonite, forcing Scorbunny to save the day.

-They kidnapp Scorbunny in order to exchange him for Pikachu.

Also Team Rocket always relied in mechas or traps, battling was always the last resort.

TRio is only seen as a threat when they manage to take Pikachu out of the equation. In the next episode I see two options:

-They manage to subdue Pikachu and Dragonite, forcing Scorbunny to save the day.

-They kidnapp Scorbunny in order to exchange him for Pikachu.

Also Team Rocket always relied in mechas or traps, battling was always the last resort.
Hmmm... But Ash could still use Mimey or Gengar. Maybe the Pokémon Trio get from their vending machine will scare Mimey away like in the tournament and Gengar will be busy teasing the lab assistent with his Magnemite. Or it happens outside of the institute and Mimey and Gengar are both at home. But even then, if Go just had one of his stronger Pokémon with him (former episodes die show he sometimes takes random Pokémon with him who turns out to be very usefull. Like Beedrill to cross the desert or Dewdong to dive into the cold water).

They'll need some very strong Pokémon and a good strategy to be a treat again. Can't they call the machine beforehand and work on a plan with the given Pokémon beforehand?

Also, TRio were always the most succesfull when they could sneak behind people back. They have a much better record in succeeding when they can sneak behind everyone than in direct confrontation.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom