• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rocket: You.. You're not GIOVANNI's kid, are you?

Thats pretty cool... I love how the new games fill in the old plot holes.

Welcome back the the Giovanni's son debate. This round will be based on the Pokémon Special manga, FireRed/LeafGreen edition of course!

From the July issue of Sho4:
attachment.php

Sakaki's son!?

... It can't be, the boss's son!?

Chakura of Team Rocket, discovered in a mysterious photo. Depicted there is the Team Rocket Boss, Sakaki, and his son...!?

I'm posting the images where the Kamon/Silver references are said in the game. Maybe this will help a bit.

giovanniskid6uw.png
redhair3bw.png

BTW, the only big differences between characters are the anime vs. the game ones. The refered as "board" or TGC games are only slight redesigns of the original characters, and slightly changes in hair colours aren't that weird, as light sources can make those looks different.

Of course, that can't be applied to Lorelei, the anime Sabrina and anime Erika. In my opinion, the anime counterparts of Blaine and Surge don't match the game's not a bit. Surge's and Blaine's faces are completly different..that could be coz they based those characters on early sketches before Ken Sugimori redesigned them for the TCG Gym Sets (or maybe for Pokémon Yellow).

Awww! Widdle baby Silver! And Sneasel. I guess Giovanni gave it to him.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
And on the show, Giovanni was never defeated at all (well...y'know, besides MR)

And that's a pretty major development, ya know?

He'd have to have been at least once. Gary was in the Indigo League, right? (checks Serebii to make sure) Well, I'm at least guessing he was, given it says on the ep summary the cheerleaders were present. So he had to have had a rematch. Not to mention all the other people in the League. Obviously, eight badges are required to compete. So he had to have lost a bunch (most likely intentionally, to keep Lance happy, or else he's just handing those Earthbadges out...)
So we haven't really seen him defeated on the show then, technically. Except for what you said.

There are more than eight badges per region in the show. You don't have to defeat Giovanni in order to participate in the Pokemon League - you could beat another gym leader instead (after all, Gary had 10 Kanto badges).

Funny, I woulda thought different. Misty makes a big deal of Viridian being the only gym they haven't hit up yet after the Blaine eps, and don't forget the gym AJ ran and the Yas and Kas gyms- both are unofficial. So Gary could have beat those two (three?) and still had 10.
Logically, Giovanni would still have to let a few people by here and there in his gym, because I have a feeling that if he kept defeating/seriously injuring opponents and handing out, like, zero badges, Lance would get pretty damned suspicious, and his "legit" cover would be blown sky high.

EDIT: Blackjack makes a good point. Like I said...

Unofficial gyms can't have official League badges. I'm pretty sure they meant that Gary had 10 badges. Plus, that one guy that Jessie stole the badges from didn't have the 8 badges that Ash had, I'm pretty sure, yet he was still qualified to participate in the Pokemon League. But I guess Giovanni could have been defeated in a gym...

I'm not sure,but a long time ago I heard there was a part in the Pokemon manga where Red and Gio meet up in the Safari Zone and both have this "weird" feeling about each other.I think they also might've said to themselves that "he seems familiar" or "it feels like I've met him before".

*shrug*

I could've sworn I saw a pic about this too.

I'm not sure,but a long time ago I heard there was a part in the Pokemon manga where Red and Gio meet up in the Safari Zone and both have this "weird" feeling about each other.I think they also might've said to themselves that "he seems familiar" or "it feels like I've met him before".

I can assure you this never happened, at least in Pokemon Special. The only time Red was ever in the Safari Zone, he was accompanined by a Pidgey robot and had to capture a hoarde of Grass-type Pokemon that tried to eat him. That pretty much sums up everything. What you heard of may have been a fan comic, or perhaps an unrelated series?

so Silver *IS* Giovanni's son?
but the Sneasel...
didn't Silver steal it like he did in the game?

deja0entendu said:
so Silver *IS* Giovanni's son?
but the Sneasel...
didn't Silver steal it like he did in the game?
You may not be aware of this, but Pokemon Special is by no means a perfect adaptation of the games. One of the noticeable examples for this is the fact that the Pokemon with which the main characters begin their journey, are not the starter Pokemon. For instance, Sneasel has accompanied Silver since he was a young child under the wings of the Masked Man, and only later did Silver steal Totodile from Prof. Elm.

It was observant of you to note that in the games, Silver not only stole his starter from Prof. Elm, but also stole Sneasel later on in the story. The man in Cinawood City who asks the player to look after his Shuckle for him, does so out of fear of "the boy with piercing eyes" who has already taken a Pokemon from him. The boy is evidently Silver, and the Pokemon must be Sneasel (it is the only new Pokemon he will have obtained by the next encounter). That is to say, Pokemon Special directly contradicted the games by making Silver obtain Sneasel prior to becoming a trainer (presumably as a gift from Giovanni).

I was reading Special (In Serebii.net) but I remember it mentioned him stealing the Sneasel from the Mask of Ice
...my memory is sketchy so I'm not sure if I'm right

Zeta said:
It certainly points to Kamon/Silver being Giovanni's son. Their faces and personalities are similar enough.

And the only other redheaded male from the games I can think of is Green/Shigeru - and his parents are supposedly dead.

Well, in that case, I don't think they wouldn't even bring up Giovanni's kid due to the fact that the main character is the wrong gender - but if you think about it FR/LG lets you play as male or female.

*looks at Misty*

Hehe.

It'd be nice to have this resolved in Pokemon Special - considering that Blue has found her true parents, but Silver has not.

IT HAS BEEN RESOLVED! SILVER IS the son of Giovanni!!!

Hey, so wow, I am glad the games are given some credit for interesting character design cause they really have neat dialog and back story but the anime overshadows it.

But the game's famechecker makes plenty of cool references to the anime as well as to the later games.

And regions can have more than eight gyms in game canon at least,

May on the phone in Emerald, paraphrasing of course: "Weird how such small towns like "...forgot, doesn't matter anyway" have gyms when such a large city like Slateport doesn't. Maybe I can try out to be a gym leader once they build one."

Yeah, also, like Brock is described as completely unmovable and hard. But they say that once you make him laugh he can't stop. Explaining the more fun loving Brock in the anime. And I think Lorelei's secret in the games is that she collects dolls very very much.

But as for Silver being Gio's kid. Yeah, probably.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom