• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

rockets

cooper

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
does anyone know where the name 'team rocket' came from. I like to think that Giovanni's organization once had an aerospace front called team rocket.

I always assumed it was their weapon of choice and so perhaps they were labeled as such by the public, much like Team Aqua & Magma have themes and this is reflected in their name

how can a rocket be their weapon of choice?

Have you seen Team Rocket(Jessie, James and Meowth) always trying to capture pikachu and other pokemon with a rocket? maybe that answer your question of 'weapon of choice'

I think it has to do with the campy sixties vibe they've got. Really, TR to me has always seemed like a sort of homage to all the various villains from James Bond and other spy movies/shows.

Neku said:
I think it has to do with the campy sixties vibe they've got. Really, TR to me has always seemed like a sort of homage to all the various villains from James Bond and other spy movies/shows.
Really, you think so?

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but wasn't there a Team Jet that was a rival organization? I don't think it was in a manga. Was it the radio broadcast about Team Rocket and Madam Boss? If so, Team Rocket would be a matter of one-up-manship. (Rocket > Jet).

Of course, that would be an ex post facto explanation. Most likely Roketto Dan was chosen because it sounded more dynamic, cuttting edge and mysterious than Generic Evil Organization.

Neku said:

I'd never thought of it that way before, but I agree. I'd guess that makes Giovanni the equivalent of Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Hard to say Ash is the equivalent of James Bond, though.

I don't know where he got the name from but I have a theory for the symbol.Unlike the original M and A of Aqua and Magma it's just a simple red R that you could see anywhere.He's pretty smart making something that simple,it boosts security.And I noticed that Hun's uniform resembles a Team Magma one.Is that just a design Satoshi Tajiri likes or is that to put blame on Team Magma?

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Jet and Helicopter were both mentioned in "Dues and Don'ts"

Thank you, Blackjack. I thought I heard Team Jet being mentioned recently. Just wasn't sure about the context.

I saw somewhere I heard it stands for "Raid On City Knock out Evil Tusks". Which leaves me to believe Sakaki was on LSD when he came up with the name.

Somebody was on LSD when they came up with that acronym for the ENGLISH TRANSLATION of Roketto Dan.

Actually, that was the Japanese one as well. Which really speaks volumes about the writer's English skills, doesn't it?

But isn't that the code phrase and not what Rocket stands for?

Roketto is the way Japanese people pronounce the English word Rocket, so they're essentially the same word - like Safaia and Sapphire, Rubi and Ruby, Mari and Mary, etc.

One thing I don't get is why evil organizations in anime and such call themselves "evil." Don't organizations usually think they're justified in what they do or don't think what they're doing is wrong? Oh well...

Roses Ablaze said:
One thing I don't get is why evil organizations in anime and such call themselves "evil." Don't organizations usually think they're justified in what they do or don't think what they're doing is wrong? Oh well...
Do they ever call themselves evil in the games? Similarly, is this from Giovanni or just the grunts?

One thing that is important is that Team Rocket have no clear goals other than making money and possibly world domination. Team Aqua and Team Magma, on the other hand, know exactly what they want to gain and just do not think of opposing opinions. Evil for evils sake is attractive to some members.

FabuVinny said:
Do they ever call themselves evil in the games? Similarly, is this from Giovanni or just the grunts?

It's not from the games, but in "Dues and Don'ts", Giovanni has some line about how it would help for an evil organization to be hiring promising evildoers for his evil team, or something. Though Dues and Don'ts was basically the writers' chance to be as stupid as humanly possible, so I don't think that line would really count as evidence. Also, it could have just been a dub-only line.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom