• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rocketshipping General Discussion

I'm sorry that you got such a feeling, but it's not our intention. The thread is going fast and Rocketshipping is serious business, so it can't be helped.

If you don't know something, just ask - you won't be ignored for sure (and no one will eat you)! ;-)
I was a complete noob when I came here as well. It just takes some time to learn some things, but nothing is impossible to a willing mind ;-)

And you know, RG didn't make her site in vain. It takes an hour or two to read the content on her page and you know just everything what are we talking about. She spends a lot of time on various activities that help newbies (f.e. read her first post on this page...). You can't call that ignoring, really ^^; Especially if you didn't ask us about anything.

Yeah...thank you. Besides, I probably should have asked if I was confused about something. And I think the best thing to do to not be ignored would simply be to actively participate in the thread.
*Lawnmowergirl fails at life sometimes* I hate having ADHD. It makes it hard for me with the new shipping forums rules because I have trouble staying on topic.

But, yeah. Expect to see me around more often...but not to make dumb excuses.

....I'm going to draw some RocketShippy stuff in Paint now. If anything turns out unfailishly, I'll post it as soon as possible.

And I'm also going to look up the Japanese names of Rocketto-dan's Pokemon. That will probably make a world of difference to my understanding of the discussion.

Welcome to the thread, SilveryBeing!

I've also been sitting on this theory as to why Giovanni hasn't fired the team yet. It's not really rocketshippy so I'm not sure if I can talk about it here but I'd rather discuss it with like minded individuals.
You mean "not really rocketshippy" as in anti-rocketshippy or just not connected to Rocketshipping at all?

And well, I guess it's even harder to jump in, just because it's Rocketshipping. Since Musashi and Kojiro has been in the anime for 600+ episodes, much longer than any other main shipping... that gives quite a lot things to talk about. And as they're still in the anime... it means a possible new stuff every week that occassionally may change your point of view and affect all speculations. It's really demanding shipping, if you want to take a full advantage of it. Because really, Rocketshipping has so much potential and opportunities, that it would be a real waste if we couldn't speculate like this :( At least it feels like it to me... We love being creative! ^^

There's a reason we know and talk a lot about Rocketshipping; because we love it. Simple as that.
The simplest ways are always the best xD

Yeah...thank you. Besides, I probably should have asked if I was confused about something. And I think the best thing to do to not be ignored would simply be to actively participate in the thread.

And I'm also going to look up the Japanese names of Rocketto-dan's Pokemon. That will probably make a world of difference to my understanding of the discussion.
Believe me or not, but I wrote very similar post last summer when I got angry that everyone's using Japanese pokemon names I don't know and I was told to just ask. Everyone was a noob someday, so don't worry xD

Last edited:
I think we need a topic.

How do you think Musashi and Kojiro currently view their relationship with each other?

I think that as of right now, the two of them only see each other as best friends, who are really more like family. I don't think Kojiro is in love with her, but Musashi might have some repressed feelings of love for Kojiro. It all depends if Musashi's anger of Kojiro not wanting to marry her still counts as canon. I could easily see that whole scene being ignored in Tomioka's mind for obvious reasons. Now, there's been a few cases (8th movie, DP117) where it feels like she's flirting a little, but Musashi is so hard to read emotion wise that you could take that stuff a variety of ways.

How do you think Musashi and Kojiro currently view their relationship with each other?

I think Kojiro has a very small crush for Musa, but of course he denies his feelings (psychological defense) so deep he doesn't think about it. But he does feel uncomfortable when Musashi is flirting with other men, and makes excuses to himself why he shouldn't let Musashi run away with someone. But he feels he should take care of Musashi because she's way too unstable, even though she is the "boss" of the team.

Musashi might feel something strong for Kojiro, but as we know she hides her true emotions way too deep to accept any romantic thoughts about her friend. I don't think she ever talks about feelings with Kojiro, but she might give hints by being over-dramatic in some situations, hoping that Kojiro would make the starting move. I don't know how she views him as a friend... But Musashi is a tsundere stereotype as its best. DP153 says it all. xD

(Btw, we are probably getting a new trailer tomorrow; can't wait to see if the rocket's are in it, and maybe we can see the rocket promo too.)

I think we need a topic.

Very great topic. It made me realize that I don't really know what to respond ^^; For years, I've believed that they're arleady in love, it's just that they aren't aware of it yet. Now I'm gonna say pretty the same, only add that it must be some kind of weird love xD; But of course, they view each other as nothing but best friends now. Soulmates, I'd even say ;)

It all depends if Musashi's anger of Kojiro not wanting to marry her still counts as canon.
I think that Musashi's anger isn't canon anymore (at least to not that extent as it used to). She rarely bursts with anger now and really, even it happens, such sweet things like DP143 reunion scene or DP146 glomp scene make me forget about moments of her "weaknesses". But tbh, I love when she gets angry with Kojiro from time to time (aka DP142 or DP153 strangling scene xD). As long as it's from time to time, I don't mind it at all, I even enjoy it :3

And about Kojiro not wanting to marry her... I don't know, but I'm looking forward to Rumika's return so maybe we'd get some more info about it...

Now, there's been a few cases (8th movie, DP117) where it feels like she's flirting a little, but Musashi is so hard to read emotion wise that you could take that stuff a variety of ways.
Oh, I see we pay attention to totally different things, when looking for hints whether something is love or friendship ^^;

I think Kojiro has a very small crush for Musa, but of course he denies his feelings (psychological defense) so deep he doesn't think about it. But he does feel uncomfortable when Musashi is flirting with other men, and makes excuses to himself why he shouldn't let Musashi run away with someone. But he feels he should take care of Musashi because she's way too unstable, even though she is the "boss" of the team.

Musashi might feel something strong for Kojiro, but as we know she hides her true emotions way too deep to accept any romantic thoughts about her friend. I don't think she ever talks about feelings with Kojiro, but she might give hints by being over-dramatic in some situations, hoping that Kojiro would make the starting move. I don't know how she views him as a friend... But Musashi is a tsundere stereotype as its best. DP153 says it all. xD

QFT. I always felt that Kojiro always aspired to be Musashi's "prince charming" but kept on failing miserably, and while Musashi is openly looking for her prince charming, but she eitheir doesn't see that he's standing right next to her, or just denies it, because "it can't be him, just because".

(Btw, we are probably getting a new trailer tomorrow; can't wait to see if the rocket's are in it, and maybe we can see the rocket promo too.)
Hooray! ^^

Last edited:
You mean "not really rocketshippy" as in anti-rocketshippy or just not connected to Rocketshipping at all?

I mean it's not connected to rocketshipping at all, I'd rather trade away my Jirachi than entertain an anti-rocketshippy theory.

Best of best friends certainly. I think Kojiro has stronger feelings for her but considering what happened with the last red head in his life he's trying to ignore it. The success of this is varying and naturally won't hold up over time. Musashi I think has so many defenses up that she is rather scared to admit what she really feels for Kojiro and so tries to hide it. She also seems to have that "knight in shining armor" dream which blinds her to what is actually in front of her. They both have issues they need to get over before they can having something mature between them. Apparently TR doesn't have any therapists.

When I heard the lines in DP117, they felt like taken from classic shinjuu (double suicides of lovers) story just minus all that poetic-sounding crap. You know, with all that sacrifice, having no regrets about their lives, all that sacrifice and finally with "If there's a next world after we die, let's meet again" line (it also reminds me of red thread of fate beliefs). Especially, considering that writers just LOVE references to Japanese culture. Of course, it's not a direct reference, but it seems to me like it's hinting at shinjuu's stories and their form overall. Something like "Aishiteru" or "Daisuki/suki da" would feel out of place here and simply silly.

But really, the line like this, can be easily interpreted as a confession of love, no matter of time, culture or language. As for me, "I love you" are just the words that everyone can say nowadays and not mean it. But DP117 line is something that was really honest and sincere and it fully conveyed the message of how she feels about him and cares.

Awww, love is so complicated isn't it? When I first heard the lines in DP117 I thought it was sweet, but that's it. But now that we've analyzed the episode so much, it brings a whole new meaning to it. That episode is so full of stuff to analyze that every time we bring it up, there's even more to talk about!

Hey Paperhorse,

I don't know if I had ever greet you correctly but as I was stalking this thread for some time again (like back in the time before I was joining^^) and I read most of your posts it seems to me like I know you already very good XD So forgive me, if I never had welcome you in the thread properly =)

lol that's ok ;-)

Erm...well, anyways, in honor of the new thread...here's something I drew several years ago...halfway through drawing the hearts in the background I realized I didn't like the way they looked...so the background is sort of an epic fail. But otherwise I think it looks okay.

Cute drawing! I like how they look so happy.

I think we need a topic.

Oh, that's an interesting question. The other day, I was pondering whether Musashi would be the one to fall in love with Kojiro first, or Kojiro falling for Musashi first. I was going to bring it up here, but forgot.

But for their current relationship I agree with you RG, I think they only see each other as platonic friends right now, and really don't let themselves think about it. I think they might suppress their feelings because each are afraid of losing the other, and would rather keep it the way it is, then make things complicated.

But I also agree with Meron, Jeska, and Silvery, I think Kojiro might have a crush on Musashi and again, not letting himself think about it too much for fear of what might happen if he did.

Don't worry, I was confused at first too! XD

...AND I adore your new picture! <3 Are you on dA, btw?
Yeah, Luciyfer, but I don't really go on DA to be honest xD; I might when my portfolio is a little bigger and doesn't include only smut. I can't post that on DA from my knowledge.

He let Musashi start using his own Pokemon, and started showing more support after...
:

^THIS, I find this a nice turning point :'> agree agree agree!

And about Kojiro not wanting to marry her... I don't know, but I'm looking forward to Rumika's return so maybe we'd get some more info about it...
I don't think she will return soon but I'm waiting for this too :'C Jessie always seems to act like she doesn't care much but at the end of the first episode with Rumika she seemed quite depressed about him 'leaving'.

QFT. I always felt that Kojiro always aspired to be Musashi's "prince charming" but kept on failing miserably, and while Musashi is openly looking for her prince charming, but she eitheir doesn't see that he's standing right next to her, or just denies it, because "it can't be him, just because".

Hooray! ^^
That's adorable xD I get that feeling too sometimes! I also think his roses give him more of a prince-like appeal too, which is why I thought that aswell :'C <3

On another note, someone mentioned being confused about the animators, names and such.

Maybe someone can summarize some key things that come up in discussion so us newbies don't get so lost? like a few name translations that come in handy and what animator did what episode and why is that so '<3'.

Since to be honest I get confused about the animators too lol...

Also
Do you want the possible Grand Festival shippyness to be dialogue-heavy or an "action speaks louder than words" thing?
I think I would prefer dialogue, I don't know why dubs have such a stigma attached to them but I see it as a good and bad thing.

If the dubbers 'screw up' anyways there is always the Japanese version to look at so nothing is really lost you know :'Y?

I think I prefer dialogue though because actions might be a little far-fetched, I don't really expect anything like that until the Pokemon series in close to ending or it's a Pokemon movie, why? actions tend to be pretty obvious and from that point onward the animators would have to start building chemistry between the two more often, and I think it takes away from the main group of the story(sadly).

Then again I'm a little skeptical Pokemon even has a set storyline anymore.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can summarize some key things that come up in discussion so us newbies don't get so lost? like a few name translations that come in handy and what animator did what episode and why is that so '<3'.

This can be a little tricky to remember, but I'll do my best to keep things simple.

First of all, what matters the most is the writers. The big names you want to remember here are Atsuhiro Tomioka and Junki Takegami.

Tomioka is the head writer, so he more or less calls the shots on what happens in the show. When he writes an episode you can bet it'll be important, so we should all pay careful attention to how Musashi and Kojiro act.

Junki Takegami is the Rocketshippy writer. He's written Holy Matrimony, the good hoso, and DP117. There's always a good chance for shippyness when he writes.

For more detailed information on the writers, you can click here.

The role of the animator is a bit complicated at the moment. All they do is just animate what the storyborder (just read the definition. Don't bother with the names) draws, so they really don't have much or any control over what gets shown. However, there's still a correlation between who animates episodes with hints.

Izumi Shimura is by far the shippiest animator. It's almost a guarantee that when she animates there will be something cute.

For more detailed animator information, you can click here.

I hope to have a storyborder section on my site soon. But for the moment don't worry about remembering anything about that until I can sort through everything throughly.

Hope that helps all the newbies reading the thread. Feel free to ask more questions if you're confused on any of this.

Well in the beggining i thought they had a close relationship until Jessie screwed up with her contestes and stuff.In DP i think james is starting to get her or something.Through the series they more becoming best friends

Great job, Musashi! :-D Maybe you should update first post of the thread with this info? That way, we can just send confused newbies to read the first post, not to look around whole thread, once it becomes big again.

I've watched today's episodes. I loved how Kojiro showed his awesome side again (it's was a fail in the end, hut who cares XD)

Btw, it looks like Musashi being in charge of the team isn't canon anymore. Her place has been definitely taken but Kojiro. Not only that, is it just me or he's now the most evil person of the trio? ^^; He looks scary sometimes... Or maybe it's just that it's Musashi, whose character got soften...
But Musashi seems to like it and she looks up to him more and more :)

I don't think she will return soon but I'm waiting for this too :'C Jessie always seems to act like she doesn't care much but at the end of the first episode with Rumika she seemed quite depressed about him 'leaving'.
I don't think she will return soon either, but I have a hunch that she will someday (though it really depends on how the next gen is gonna be settled). And right, maybe Musashi is better at pretending she doesn't care than Kojiro, but still, sooner or later, it turns out that she truly cares deep in heart ;D

Then again I'm a little skeptical Pokemon even has a set storyline anymore.
That's funny, most of us here is convinced that it got decent storyline in the mid of DP xD At least when it comes to Rocketshipping.

Well in the beggining i thought they had a close relationship until Jessie screwed up with her contestes and stuff.In DP i think james is starting to get her or something.Through the series they more becoming best friends
I disagree. Not only I don't think that their relationship is any less closer than it used to be in Kanto, but I think that it's even more closer than it was.In original series, the could act all lovey-dovey in one episode and act like if they hated each other on other episode. It was so confusing and nothing had much sense. Now, you can see their relationship bulding up for better.

And Musashi didn't screw up with her contests, it's just their attitude towards each other overall. Her contests might not start off nicely, but there's one important thing about them... character development. The contests helped Musashi to change for better, and Kojiro seems to like that change in her. Now, he's supporting and helping her. He shows her that he cares a lot. Now, Musashi's contests are team effort and it really seems to drive them closer.

I've watched today's episodes. I loved how Kojiro showed his awesome side again (it's was a fail in the end, hut who cares XD)

Btw, it looks like Musashi being in charge of the team isn't canon anymore. Her place has been definitely taken but Kojiro. Not only that, is it just me or he's now the most evil person of the trio? ^^; He looks scary sometimes... Or maybe it's just that it's Musashi, whose character got soften...
I really like this Kojiro-in-charge continuity that has been around since... DP163 at least? If they decide to point this up in the anime, and if it relates to Musashi's contests, I wonder if it will lead to the "to leave or not to leave Rocket-dan" thing we discussed earlier. (I doubt it, she still seems very excited about stealing Pokémon as usual.) They better keep it up, I would love to see Kojiro being the hero like in that Miniryuu episode, even if he fails a lot. Today's Ranger episode felt like it would have been written by Oohashi, but it was Takegami after all... :D

Alas, no new trailer today.

No, I don't think it's because of Musashi's character softened a bit is making Kojiro look more, err, deviant. I think he is developing those traits on his own. And I think Musashi likes it just as much as we do :)

I really like this Kojiro-in-charge continuity that has been around since... DP163 at least? If they decide to point this up in the anime, and if it relates to Musashi's contests, I wonder if it will lead to the "to leave or not to leave Rocket-dan" thing we discussed earlier. (I doubt it, she still seems very excited about stealing Pokémon as usual.) They better keep it up, I would love to see Kojiro being the hero like in that Miniryuu episode, even if he fails a lot. Today's Ranger episode felt like it would have been written by Oohashi, but it was Takegami after all... :D

I hope they decide to focus on this point in the anime. I like Kojiro acting all hero like because it really pushes Kojiro's character development forward. (And it could lead to awesome rocketshipping, of course).

And maybe it will lead to a should we leave team rocket question, but even if they think about it, I don't think they want to leave anytime soon. But it would be interesting if one of them happened to bring it up, maybe after Musashi's 5th ribbon win. I think that would be the best time for them to speculate about it.

After all I red now about DP117 I'm really looking forward to it to watch it in German in a few weeks.

Sorry for my posts, maybe later I'll be able to discuss too in this thread.

Great job, Musashi! :-D Maybe you should update first post of the thread with this info? That way, we can just send confused newbies to read the first post, not to look around whole thread, once it becomes big again.

Yeah, I was thinking of putting something like that in there. Maybe not quite that long since the first post shouldn't be some extremely huge thing.

I was really surprised to see that in a Takegami episode. I wonder if they got complaints (I know, Japanese people don't really do that) that Musashi taking over the show too much, so they decided that since Musashi is good at Contests, they'll give Kojiro more spotlight during regular Rocket stuff to try and even things out.

But whatever the reason I like it. It's great to see him get some character development.

I really like this Kojiro-in-charge continuity that has been around since... DP163 at least?

I think we should count it at DP153. That's when Yonemura started his weird Rocket obsession.

If they decide to point this up in the anime, and if it relates to Musashi's contests, I wonder if it will lead to the "to leave or not to leave Rocket-dan" thing we discussed earlier. (I doubt it, she still seems very excited about stealing Pokémon as usual.)

That reminds me that we have a Contest episode in two weeks. It's written by Fujita, so once again I have no clue how the TRio will act. They'll probably get more screen time than her 4th ribbon at least.

We've ignore this Contest for so long that maybe it would make a good discussion topic since we have a long wait. What Pokemon will she use? How will Kojiro act if it's Manene? Will there be anything new from his side?

http://www.freewebs.com/rocketshipper/shinzofujita.htm

There's what he's been up to. He has a nice history in DP, albeit a short one.

But it would be interesting if one of them happened to bring it up, maybe after Musashi's 5th ribbon win. I think that would be the best time for them to speculate about it.

I think after the GF would be better. After the 5th ribbon the only thing on their minds should be GF preparation.

I'm really not good as being as "deep" on explaining and analyzing our ship, but this is exactly how I feel. :)

Btw, am I the only one who still thinks Kojiro isn't gametophobic? (sp.?)

I believe that the only reason he appears to be, is he doesn't want to be with someone he truely doesn't like, or know, like Rumika/ Himeka...

G

It was, it was! XD But the fail in the end of sometimes part of Kojiro's awesome, adorakable-ness. ;)

It's nice to see Takegami writing even when it's not a shippy episode,

I loved seeing them 'shush' Nyasu, and get happy together! It's the little things I adore...

Btw, am I the only one who still thinks Kojiro isn't gametophobic? (sp.?)

I believe that the only reason he appears to be, is he doesn't want to be with someone he truely doesn't like, or know, like Rumika/ Himeka...

I think the word you're looking for is "gynophobic" which is "fear of women" and no, I don't think he is. A phobia is not any normal fear, but an excessive fear that negatively impairs the person's life. If he really did have a phobia of women he wouldn't even be able to function at all around Musashi. And we all know that is not the case. A little uncomfortable due to past experiences, sure, but phobic, not at all.

I think the word you're looking for is "gynophobic" which is "fear of women"

No, we're referring to gamophobia, fear of marriage.

And to answer KojiMusa's question, no, I also believe he isn't afraid of that. He just has bad memories of Rumika that scare him, but once she's out of the picture/he falls in love with Musashi, i don't think he'll be scared of marrying her.

I personally can't see (or don't want to) Kojiro and Musashi married with children, so I don't mind thinking he is still gamophobic no matter what, haha. I think they will continue their adventures until they get really old, so they don't have time to settle down (I used to prefer them settling down, but I like this option too).

I was really surprised to see that in a Takegami episode. I wonder if they got complaints (I know, Japanese people don't really do that) that Musashi taking over the show too much, so they decided that since Musashi is good at Contests, they'll give Kojiro more spotlight during regular Rocket stuff to try and even things out.
Well, I don't know how it's working in anime industry, but in the manga one, authors get multiple suggestions/complaints from the fans, but they don't really pay attention to them and they just do as their editors told them to do.
But I believe it's the same in the anime.

It's kinda funny how they made some of our wishes happen unexpectedly last year though. Japanese fans are really no good... You know what most of them thought was the best about DP146? Kojiro crossdressing! *facepalms* So, if this is what makes Japanese fans happy why the anime won't show more fanservice like that? Because it'd kill the anime, simply.

But whatever the reason I like it. It's great to see him get some character development.
Yeah, he deserves some character development too :)

I think we should count it at DP153. That's when Yonemura started his weird Rocket obsession.
What about DP142? And he started being all awesome even before that...

That reminds me that we have a Contest episode in two weeks. It's written by Fujita, so once again I have no clue how the TRio will act. They'll probably get more screen time than her 4th ribbon at least.

We've ignore this Contest for so long that maybe it would make a good discussion topic since we have a long wait. What Pokemon will she use? How will Kojiro act if it's Manene? Will there be anything new from his side?

http://www.freewebs.com/rocketshipper/shinzofujita.htm

There's what he's been up to. He has a nice history in DP, albeit a short one.
But it isn't going to be Musashi's 5th ribbon, right? o.o

Kojiro didn't mind her using Manene before, moreover, he was all "I'm counting on you, Manene" so I think it's gonna be the same... The only reaction that may change it's his reaction after she actually wins... I want him to cry from joy and being all proud of her because SHE won, not because his pokemon suceeded.

I think after the GF would be better. After the 5th ribbon the only thing on their minds should be GF preparation.
The next thing that make me surprised about today's episodes were also how Kantoish they felt when it comes to Team Rocket. They were evil and menacing and TOTALLY concentrated about catching pokemon of the day. It's quite unusual since we know how many other activities distract them from their main job these days. It seems to me like the writers are aware now that TRio is going to care more on something else soon, so they're writing such episodes to make up in advance for lack of Team Rocket activity in future episodes... or something xD;

KojiMusa said:

No, we're referring to gamophobia, fear of marriage.

And to answer KojiMusa's question, no, I also believe he isn't afraid of that. He just has bad memories of Rumika that scare him, but once she's out of the picture/he falls in love with Musashi, i don't think he'll be scared of marrying her.
But how would you explain the infamous scene from Chirin episode, then? So he hates Musashi, too?

But tbh, I haven't seen any trace of gamophobia in DP153. Sure, he detested Rumika, but that's just it.

Maybe it's not the marriage he's afraid of, but rather, the lack of freedom. He's simply afraid of being controlled. It makes sense, since we all know how his childhood looked like.

Now that I think of it, it's funny how he started to hate Rumika he was in love with once she started to boss him around since Musashi didn't act any better at times (thankfully, she isn't like that anymore). Her orders sometimes really made him unhappy and yet, hewas still friends with her. I wonder why... Just don't tell me he was more assertive as a kid xD;

I personally can't see (or don't want to) Kojiro and Musashi married with children, so I don't mind thinking he is still gamophobic no matter what, haha. I think they will continue their adventures until they get really old, so they don't have time to settle down (I used to prefer them settling down, but I like this option too).
I feel the same. I don't mind them settling down a little (still being all adventurous), but as a married couple with kids? Can't see it. And I don't really want it either. And to think it comes from ex-R*cketshipper...

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom