• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rocketshipping General Discussion

I just watched the sub version. I couldn't find it in English, so I watched it in my natal spanish.

The thing is... It wasn't thaaaat bad.(maybe It's just delusional me speaking, refusing to come to terms with how much dissapointing this episode was. So much potential wasted...). Yes, Musashi was portrayed as a brat -i'll admit I found funny that she forgot to send Dekijiro's introduction, not in spite, just by actually being so lost in her imagination, that she didn't even remember that-.
But she was driven to win. Yes, she did yell her teammates about her being the victor without complains... But I also got the feeling that she wanted an actual battle with Kojiro? Like winning -for sure-, but not so easily.

It was him who wasn't driven at all.
It kinda reminds me of that XY episode (i think it was XY 105) where they were having a Ball for the Performers. He came as Musavi's partner, but he was just... There xD Wishing he was ANYWHERE else.

That’s a very fair point actually. Musashi clearly wanted to put on a bit of a show given how irritated she was by Kojiro’s apathy. That at least is a saving grace.

Most of the issues in the episode stem from the fact that they just didn’t devote enough time to each battle. There was a lot more preamble and general dicking around compared to last episode which really honed in only on the battlers. If the writing had been more focused and exploratory of key questions (why did Musashi want to go through; how did Nyasu feel about his best friends fighting; what was Kojiro’s rationale to just let her win), even the way that battle went down could have been acceptable.

It’s Omode writing next week so I’m going to set my expectations at: Musashi’s cheering but we still see her pissed. I don’t trust Omode any more than that.

I agree, the two felt very OOC in this episode, despite all the development they're relationship has had throughout the years :bulbaFacepalm: On the bright side though, at least one of them is still in the league and we'll get to see Jessie cheering on James for a change :) I hope that in the next episode they touch on how the team has reacted to James' win.

Omgggggg, staying awake this time to watch the stream was actually worth it!

Haha, I'll take this episode as a late birthday gift. -giggles-

Musashi looked every bit as a nagging wife xD Hahaha.
Can't say anything else yet until you see the episode. I'm excited, but I don't wait to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
I am also looking forward for the sub version.

Well wasn't that so much bloody better?!
My fave bits were basically every scene:
  1. Musashi offering Kojiro the Z-ring after scolding him with that 'I'm serious!' look on her face
  2. I can't believe they took enough of an effort to have Musashi make up for last week's failure to send in Kojiro's profile, and she hyped him up in it so much as well!
  3. All of her reactions (excitement and tension) to his battle
  4. At one point when Musashi is very excited, Nyasu is giving her some suspicious side-eye
  5. That entire last scene... there's something so endearing about the fact that she just puts that can on his head instead of saying anything, and when he responds, all teary smiles(ish) and says 'You guys...' he is looking just at her.

:bulbaLove:

I'm sorry to Akemi Omode for ever doubting you. I'm glad you wrote this episode the way you did, here's to a more positive relationship between this ship and you!

Well wasn't that so much bloody better?!
My fave bits were basically every scene:
  1. Musashi offering Kojiro the Z-ring after scolding him with that 'I'm serious!' look on her face
  2. I can't believe they took enough of an effort to have Musashi make up for last week's failure to send in Kojiro's profile, and she hyped him up in it so much as well!
  3. All of her reactions (excitement and tension) to his battle
  4. At one point when Musashi is very excited, Nyasu is giving her some suspicious side-eye
  5. That entire last scene... there's something so endearing about the fact that she just puts that can on his head instead of saying anything, and when he responds, all teary smiles(ish) and says 'You guys...' he is looking just at her.
:bulbaLove:

I'm sorry to Akemi Omode for ever doubting you. I'm glad you wrote this episode the way you did, here's to a more positive relationship between this ship and you!

Oh God, yesss TwT Loved their interactions to bits! It was cute to see even Mimikyu invested in the match as well. That final scene was adorable! I like how Musashi (being the tough woman she Is) expresses her feelings through subtle actions like that time she bought malasadas to Bewear, watching worriedly over Kojiro and now giving him that can of coffee knowing that he was physically and emotionally tired from the match.

(Also props to the writers for not keeping her as a sore loser and a bad teammate. This was delightful!)

I just want to draw something about this episode but honestly I can't choose which moment!.

Ps. How does that spoiler thing works?

That final scene was adorable! I like how Musashi (being the tough woman she Is) expresses her feelings through subtle actions like that time she bought malasadas to Bewear, watching worriedly over Kojiro and now giving him that can of coffee knowing that he was physically and emotionally tired from the match.
Ugh yes. It was really good characterisation actually. Sometimes I forget that Musashi doesn’t really do heartfelt talk, and this episode reminded me that she doesn’t have to. Her little gestures of love are even more poignant <3

Bonus cap of Nyasu totally understanding:

I just want to draw something about this episode but honestly I can't choose which moment!.
Frankly any moment will do, each was so beautiful! If you want emotional inspiration I can recommend watching the ending theme from this week. They did a wonderful job of including aaaaall of the scenes and arranging it perfectly with the music and the TRio emotional impact look more important than the rest of the episode :p

Ps. How does that spoiler thing works?
[ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] without the spaces!

Yes! This episode handled my children a thousand times better than the last. Supporting each other no matter what; that's the team rocket way :')

Maybe it's better to leave it ambiguous, but who knows??

Ugh yes. It was really good characterisation actually. Sometimes I forget that Musashi doesn’t really do heartfelt talk, and this episode reminded me that she doesn’t have to. Her little gestures of love are even more poignant <3

It's SO sweet to see that she's just as enthusiastic when she cheers for him as when he cheers for her. My heart is full of love rn.

Bonus cap of Nyasu totally understanding:

UGH he HAS to know something's definitely up by now! Also, during Type:Wild when the music starts slowing down and shows the two during the drink moment, this is kind of a reach but, "hello, my dream...?" :bulbaLove::bulbaLove:

Guys, this interview is not going to fill you with joy. It is also not the end of the world, but set your expectations.

Google Translate it, read for yourselves and then open the spoilers below.

Many thanks to @Musajirou for her translation help as always.

All 3 seiyuu are very clear that there is no romance between Musashi and Kojiro.
Megumi: No way!
Miki: There's nothing suspicious going on.

They acknowledge that that is their viewpoint, and adults who have watched the anime since childhood may see it as romantic love or friendship.
Inuko says that if there is a romance between Musashi and Kojiro that the relationship between the Rockets wouldn't last long.

They laugh a lot during this portion of the interview. When the interviewer suggests that they can't show erotic relations on a children's tv show, the conversation gets completely derailed without the question being adressed.

RE the interview:
  • Japanese doesn't do future tense, and at no point do they say that it can never happen.
  • They state acceptance that shipping is valid interpretation of canon.
  • All that laughing could be a bit of a sign of trolling. And why did they hustle the interviewer away from further delving when she asked about sex in PokeAni?
  • Let's be honest, how else could they answer when directly asked this question? If they say yes or even maybe they are setting up expectations that are not in their hands to fulfil, and something they probably do not know the eventual outcome to.
RE the meta:
  • All this 'We are Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu' stuff really blurs the lines. If they truly consider themselves to be the characters then the question of romance becomes very awkward because Miki and Megumi are married to other people.
  • This is confirmed in this interview. Megumi and Inuko comment about how Musashi is not at all erotic (hmm :p) even though she is baring her midriff and wearing a tight mini-skirt. Miki pipes in with 'Isn't that the power of Mrs Hayashibara? Amazing!' The implication is that they are completely unable to extricate themselves and their relationship from Kojiro & Musashi's: Miki can't see Megumi in a sexual way, therefore neither can Kojiro see Musashi.
  • Miki already stated the same opinion once in and old interview conducted during OS. (If anyone still has a link to this please share it!)
  • And most of all, they don't write the damn show. If the seiyuus ARE the TRio then it means they are just as dense and, just like the real characters, just haven't realised what's so obvious to the rest of us yet ;-)

The newest episode moment was very sweet! Musashi supporting Kojiro is always cute.

That interview line doesn't really mess with my own viewpoint/headcanon of their relationship which is that they're only friends with Kojiro possibly having a small, unrequited crush on Musashi. And I agree that they're only talking about the present; it doesn't take away from the possibility of Kojimusa being an endgame pairing at the very end if the writers ever make an ending for them. And if Inuyama meant that the relationship between the trio wouldn't last with romance between M&K, I agree with her. Because of the way this series is and these particular characters are, imo it's best to leave stuff like that to the very end (if it happens during our lifetime).

In the meantime, give us more wholesome friendship moments like in the latest episode. ^^(y)

I know I’m extremely late to the party but OMG LAST EPISODE!!! :love::love::love::love:

Omode, I owe you a sincere apology for calling you Oohashi’s apprentice. You may write Musashi more catty than many of the other current writers and you’ve had some misstep episodes but between this and SM 114, you’ve proved to have a much better grasp on who Musashi is than Oohashi ever had and whatever happened with last week’s episode. Thank you very much for this episode! Here’s to hopefully a more positive characterization of Musashi and the TRio’s relationship from you in the future! (y)

:love:
Awww!!!

Spoiler: Objective facts Many thanks to @Musajirou for her translation help as always.

All 3 seiyuu are very clear that there is no romance between Musashi and Kojiro.
Megumi: No way!
Miki: There's nothing suspicious going on.

They acknowledge that that is their viewpoint, and adults who have watched the anime since childhood may see it as romantic love or friendship.
Inuko says that if there is a romance between Musashi and Kojiro that the relationship between the Rockets wouldn't last long.

They laugh a lot during this portion of the interview. When the interviewer suggests that they can't show erotic relations on a children's tv show, the conversation gets completely derailed without the question being adressed.
After reading the interview with the best Google Translations can offer, I’m not too saddened by this interview (although I'm even more disappointed SM 131 fell so flat). As ii kanji said, just because they said there’s no romance between Musashi and Kojiro currently, it doesn’t mean there can never be one. While I was saddened at first seeing Iyuma say a relationship between Musashi and Kojiro wouldn't last long in the translation provided by ii kanji, after reading the interview, it's pretty clear that she means within the Rocket Gang which I think is reasonable. Alongside that, from the way I'm reading the translation provided, the interviewer suggests something erotic which would make people doing an interview uncomfortable, especially when you view the characters as yourselves. Of course, they would shuffle the question aside (and the fact Miki and Inuko say there's nothing erotic about Musashi because of their close friendship with Megumi)! Besides, haven't they answered the question before during the Team Rocket radio show when someone asked if Kojiro and Musashi were in love and Kojiro answered "She's my eternal partner!"

In the meantime, give us more wholesome friendship moments like in the latest episode. ^^(y)
Yes please!!

Last edited:
That picture is absolutely precious. :bulbaLove:

Underrated Rocketshipping advantage; they have a ready babysitter/assistant on hand (maybe two, if you count Wobbufett). Meowth took care of Togepi's egg, so I think he'd be a pretty good surrogate third parent (assuming he never gets his own kid and is busy with them all the time).

Love your drawing, ii kanji. He’s so cute! And yes, Nyasu would definitely look after Musashi and Kojiro’s kid! He’d finally be an uncle!

The question of how Hidoide feels about Musashi is finally answered:
EIb92MYXUAEhrEE.jpg:large
... I mean, I guess it’s a good sign at telling of Musashi and Kojiro’s relationship but I’m sad our headcanon that Musashi and Hidoide are gal pals is no longer true. :(

Edit: Also I thought Hidoide was doing the Titanic pose with Kojiro.

Last edited:
... I mean, I guess it’s a good sign at telling of Musashi and Kojiro’s relationship but I’m sad our headcanon that Musashi and Hidoide are gal pals is no longer true. :(
I was feeling along similar lines earlier, but on reflection I think that is an overreaction. Hidoide wanting to keep Musashi away from Kojiro and her and Musashi being pals are not mutually exclusive items. Can this one look into Hidoide's psyche retcon Musashi standing up for her in SM 58, or Hidoide nudging Kojiro on how to save Musashi in SM 73, or Hidoide sitting on Musashi's shoulder in SM 111?

They are obviously fond of each other and have a good relationship. Just that... Hidoide has a tiny instinct to not let Musashi too near to her man, which she is on the money about really :p

Also, call me a fool but this
EIcC5R2WkAAE04h.jpg
gives me hope for this when the time comes
675px-RocketShipping.png

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom