• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Romhacks, fangames, randomizers, mods, and fan translations!

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
NO LINKING OF ANY SITES WHERE YOU CAN GET THE STUFF TALKED ABOUT HERE, IT IS AGAINST FORUM RULES AND ONLY DISCUSSION IS ALLOWED.

Does anyone here play anything like rom hacks or fan translations or the like? I’ve played a lot of fan translations for SNES such as shin megami tensei 1 and fire emblem mystery of the emblem, gba rom hacks like those for pokemon firered, and for fangames, mods, and randomizers I admittedly don’t do much beyond rpgmaker and pokemon randos

Last edited:
I did play Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: The Seventh Stand User and really liked it.

I used to play Pokémon hacks, but not much anymore.

Fan translations are something I tend to play, but are sometimes hit-or-miss. Mother 3 and Live-a-Live had good translations, but Jump Ultimate Stars (incomplete) and Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Tag Force Special ("I'm offensive, lol").

Randomizers... well technically I play them, but not in the traditional way, since I do a list randomizer with stages and characters and then fight them.

a great mod I always recommend to RTS fans is command and conquer generals: rise of the reds. it deals with the events of the original game leading to a return to communism and adds 3 new factions, one for the euorpeon union, one for russia, and one for a conglamorate of the koreas and vietnam.

I don't believe in using ROMs. They just don't feel right to me.

Modding, on the other hand, is fun. I've done some modding in The Sims. Which is legal and supported by the developers and won't brick my copy of the game or anything. I've had fun doing things such as adding a model of my namesake instrument into the game, editing plants so they work properly with seasons, changing the default terrains for the seasons, and some basic recolors. Basically doing a lot of things that only I would do. =P

I usually go for fan translations if I have to. I've played Mother 3 and Fire Emblem Binding Blade and New Mystery of the Emblem using fan translations since there are very few reasonable and legitimate ways to play them otherwise.

I've been considering buying copies of Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1 + 2 and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 in Japanese, but I'd still need to use the fan translation to play through it, which kind of sucks :confused_emoji:. I'd prefer just to buy the game itself.

But I don't particularly enjoy using ROMs other than for translations. Most of the games I'd want to play are available through legitimate means.

Just discovered Clone Hero, which means that I uninstalled GHIII, mostly because Clone Hero has that solo mechanic from Rock Band that I love.

It also means I have to re-chart every song I have to include that mechanic...

Why do I do this to myself?

Just discovered Clone Hero, which means that I uninstalled GHIII, mostly because Clone Hero has that solo mechanic from Rock Band that I love.

It also means I have to re-chart every song I have to include that mechanic...

Why do I do this to myself?
clone hero is good yeah.

as for me, I recently began to try my hand at a gen 7 randomizer, but the program is wonky and refused to work until the fourth time I tried it.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom