• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Rotation Battle vs Triple Battle

piplup15

Reaction score
they're both exclusive... Rotation for black and triple for white... but there is a huge difference between those two
in my opinion
Rotation battle Sucks cause every turn your opponent will switch anytime then attack... for example
mine: bulbasaur= B, charmander= C, squirtle= S
enemy: Pikachu= P, Poliwag= Po, Vulpix= V

..............P..Po..V.
.C..B..S...............
bulbasaur used vinewhip then the opponent will switch to vulpix then use flamethrower...
that sucks T.T

while Triple Battle is ok it's like double battle depending on the pokemon's location
like the right pokemon can't attack the left, and the left can't attack the right, and the center can attack all .

for me triple battle is the best ^.^

To be fair to rotation battles, you can use the same strategy. The opponent's Vulpix uses Flamethrower against your Bulbasaur but you switch to Squirtle and proceed to Surf it. It works both ways.

Anyway, I voted rotation, but that's mainly because it's a black exclusive and I like Pokemon Black over Pokemon White. In truth, I'm largely ambivalent to both of them. I like to play singles mostly, so doubles, ,triples and rotations don't mean much to me.

Rotation battles... rely far too much in mind games with a massive number of complex options at any time, and are a very harsh departure from the traditional battling.

To put it simply: most of the things you know about normal battles are basically useless in rotation battles. "Forced Switch"? "Revenge Kill"? Even the simple concept of countering is thrown out of the window.

They are a pretty unexplored type of battling, which IS a shame, at it seems it could have the most complexity the Pokémon metagame could offer. So they end up rendered as a pointless luck-guessing game.

I personally loved double battles and don't do anything else. Triple battles, I haven't tried much, but they seem pretty similar to double battles except there's a considerable ammount of deccisions made per turn that can screw you up if you make a wrong choice.

So I don't know which to say. I'd say Rotation is the more interesting, given how it could lead to some complex situations in the hands of advanced players.

Triple Battles are too focused on moves that hit everyone or hit far away opponents, and are basically complicated double battles. Rotation battles and their "inactiveness" for pokémon rotated out create a whole new (awesome) experience of mind games.

Definitely Rotation Battles, because those felt very different than the regular battles. Triple Battles were basically just double battles with one extra Pokemon on each side, which just seems pointless.

I prefer the rotation battle because it's different from all others and requires you to be a bit more quick on your feet for strategy and move choice. Triple battles aren't that interesting to me because it's just three against three instead of two, so not that different apart from making it a bit harder with an extra Pokemon on each side. Also in triple battles the screen gets a bit crowded with two many Pokemon animations all at once making them seem a bit out of place.

I prefer Rotation over Triple Battles, probably because I got Black before White and am more used to it. But, I still believe it's a bit better because it does take more thought to pull off. Triple Battles are very similar to Double Battles, and while I do enjoy the latter (I really wish there were more in-game Double Battles), it's really not that novel. I feel like with Rotation Battles, it's easier to level-up weaker Pokemon, since all 3 are out on the field but only 1 battles at a time. It also takes more strategy and thinking since you never know which of your opponent's Pokemon will attack. It is an interesting deviation from the normal battle conditions that we have become accustomed to since R/B/Y and that always makes for more interesting gameplay, especially for those of us who have been there since the beginning.

And, I like to think, it reminds me more of some of the battle strategies used/seen in the anime.

Triple battles, as I've always found the Rotation ones to be too tricky.

I suspect Rotation Battles might be more fun when battling against an actual person rather than an AI, but I've never really had the chance to test that theory. In-game, I've always found them to be more frustrating. Triples are a less-innovative concept, but I think they work well as an occasional punctuation mark between the game's long stretches of Singles and Doubles. Plus, it's kind of fun to see half your team working together out there all at once. (Or perhaps it may even be your entire team, if you're playing with a party limit.)

I prefer Triple Battles... when fighting against AI Trainers. Rotation Battles with AI Trainers just feel like a slightly-faster Single Battle where the AI is a little more likely to switch out than normal. Triple Battles are more appealing, especially in Generation V, where raising more than three Pokémon at once is a good way to need a LOT of #LevelGrinding; having all your viable combatants on the field at once is a high-risk high-reward situation that gets my blood pumping.

Against other players, I don't really prefer one or the other. They both have the appeal that they're more tactical than your standard battles, with the ability to relocate a Pokémon in danger of a one-hit knockout into a position where they can actually last a good deal, without removing them from the battlefield entirely and tangling with the danger that entry hazards can pose.
Triple Battles have more of an emphasis on immediate synergy among your teammates; you can't afford to have your center-position Pokémon use Earthquake or Surf unless you're sure that your flanking Pokémon can endure it with a significant portion of their HP intact. It's a higher-stakes situation than a Double Battle, with the added difficulty in that you can't have every Pokémon on your side attack every Pokémon on the other side unless you specialize their movesets for it.
Rotation Battles focus more on your Pokémon covering each others' weaknesses, predicting your opponents' course of action, and taking advantage of every opportunity. It allows for a battle of attrition that can be much more rewarding than the usual rushdown tactics. And learning the value of predicting your opponent pays off in other genres, like strategy games - training in Rotation Battles made Ransei and Ivalice a lot easier to approach by teaching me that a frontal assault doesn't ALWAYS pay off.

One thing's for sure: I miss them both in Alola and Galar.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom