• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rotom-Pokedex

Ghurlag

Reaction score
From the Sun & Moon site:
>In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, your character receives a special Pokédex from Professor Kukui to support you in your travels. It's known as the Rotom Pokédex, and it's inhabited by Rotom, a Pokémon with the power to reside in various electronic appliances. It does much more than record Pokémon info—it sparkles with its own personality. The Rotom Pokédex shows your current location and your next destination, and it also gives you advice on where to go next, based on the conversations you have with others! It's likely to be of great help to you in many parts of your adventure.

So it seems like we have a new 'advice' mechanic based on a Rotom form. Speculation? Will it be annoying/ will it make the game too easy, or will it just make things more interesting?

I think it's interesting that through this, they seem to have finally implemented, to a small degree, the talking-to-Pokémon feature that they've been keen on for a while. Granted that it's only this one Rotom as far as we know, but I couldn't help but notice.

I hope they don't go the hand holding route with Rotomdex. Cause I love Rotomdex and I don't want them to screw it up. I want Rotomdex to be my best friend.

Also! Looks like the Rotomdex shows you the entire line of pokemon on the top screen at once. And we're getting 4 regional pokedexes. I'm guessing one for each island.

This is something I didn't even know I wanted, I like the idea of your dex having a personality.

As for the advice mechanic, that's obviously another mechanic included to help casuals, but this could actually be beneficial because it can open up the game to more exploration. Now the "kids getting lost" excuse doesn't hold up anymore, they know exactly where they're going.

I don't think anyone saw this coming, but I like the idea of it.

Also, I like that the 'dex is divided into sub-dexes for each island. And I'm guessing that the first island is called Mele-mele? I wonder what (if any) meaning that has in Hawaiian.

Definitely didn't see this one coming. The Pokedex now has a Navi feature in it, huh? =w=

I love RotomDex! Such a creative thing to do with the regular dex :) I hope it won't feel like constant hand-holding, though!

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

I wonder how the Rotomdex would react if it sees another Rotom. I think it would say, "You met another Rotom, I'm so happy!!!" XD

Question: Will it appear on the battle field as well? I mean, as Dex-Form and a new move?

I doubt it. The Rotom Dex doesn't seem to recognize itself as being seen, and in the trailer the Rotom seems to imply that its dex is delicate, so it's probably not suitable for battle.

I doubt it. The Rotom Dex doesn't seem to recognize itself as being seen, and in the trailer the Rotom seems to imply that its dex is delicate, so it's probably not suitable for battle.
Dang it, I wanted to use that thing in battle! At the very least, I hope we have an option to eventually get to use the Rotom itself in battle. I don't think that Rotom itself could possibly be obtained in a region such as Alola naturally anyways, so that could be a nice compensation.

As for the hand-holding part, I wouldn't worry too much about that. If anything, Rotomdex would probably have a GPS sort of thing that replaces the Town Map and marks plot advancing locations. Maybe it'll also act as a quirky siekick that makes snarky remarks about the situation. My greatest hope for this is that Rotomdex ends up being a fourth-wall breaker like Deadpool from the Marvel Comics or Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia. It could even lampshade the handholding!

Rotomdex: Why I am teaching this to someone who likely knows how to catch Pokémon? I swear, if I end up railroading you into being the new Alolo champion, Prof. Kukui should give me an award. Or maybe the Pokémon Company can give me my own spinoff!

EDIT:
Maybe post-game the Rotom joins the player's party, is level 50-100, and knows a unique moveset or attack?
That's a great idea!

Rotomdex is a neat idea. I'm almost inclined to speculate about whether S/M will have more side quests than previous games. Why else would it give advice about where to go? It's not like Pokemon regions have ever been overly complex, but that is probably wishful thinking.

This feature came out of nowhere. It's very interesting, and I'm curious to see how its going to function, but overall this just feels...really out of nowhere. But that's part of why I like it. I have no complaints about a Dex Form for Rotom either. I wonder what type/move it would get.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom