• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rotom-Pokedex

From the looks of it, the Rotom Pokedex might also be functioning as the Pokegear type device.

You'd think that they'd use Porygon 2 for its interface considering that its actually an AI Pokemon whereas Rotom is supposed to wreak havoc on these devices.
Maybe Lilie planted a rotom in the dex so it could spy on Kukui for the evil team

One thing that I saw when looking in the Japanese videos was that when going over the pokémon, it shows how many pokémon are in their evolution family. There were two spaces that were shown after Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio

They
Even without the seizure incident, I'm fairly certain Rotom would have been chosen for its cuteness factor.
They could have taken the time to bump up porygon's cuteness. I mean it was pretty cute in the anime the first and last time it showed up as a main pokemon.

But I still think it's because of the incident that they chose rotom over porygon. Especially since the only reason why rotom has a cuteness factor is that it never was blacklisted and appeared more times outside the games than porygon did.

Porygon doesn't really look cute and is a bit of an obscure Pokemon among most of the fanbase which is quite young and certainly wouldn't had played any of the Kanto games

This is a very interesting and cool new feature. I wonder what kind of stuff it would have?

I hope RotomDex also means we can finally get some new dex entries for older pokemon. They've been recylcling the same entries for a while now, and Gen IV and V mons haven't gotten new entries past their debut games.

Imagine if all the dex entries are written from the point of view/personality of the Rotom in the machine :eek: When it gets to Rotom's dex entry it would just be stroking its ego about how cool it is I'm sure.

This is literally Whisper from Yo-Kai Watch.

whisper.jpg

Porygon doesn't really look cute and is a bit of an obscure Pokemon among most of the fanbase which is quite young and certainly wouldn't had played any of the Kanto games

Kanto has nothing to do with it? I mean Porygons could be caught in the wild in DP and ORAS. Some little kid out there might have seen it when they were looking in the backlot or one of the mirage spots. Or who knows even played the remakes on either emulators or because their older siblings had a GBA. There's always ways the kids could have found out about them.

Sure they're obscure, but they're really only obscure due to the controversy. All I'm saying is that things might have been different if Porygon wasn't blacklisted. It could have been one of those pokemon that had a small group of fans as well as a weird-cute factor but it was never allowed to after the incident. Having a Porydex would have been a great time for Porygon to make a comeback but they decided against it for some, very obvious, reason (no Porygons in the anime ever) and went with the other electronic related pokemon.

Porygon is pretty much the quintessential lost pokemon despite it still showing up in games.

The part that I bolded implies that you have to give your Rotom Pokédex a certain amount of info that you need to get by interacting with NPCs and other resources such as shelves. From what I can gather, it's basically encouraging you to interact with the environment of the cities and towns. It sounds like a reason to explore to me!
I smell sidequests...I like where this is going. Especially since the map looks less restrictive than the last few.

Last edited:
@pokestar93 It would be weird if there was only 1 space.

Imagine if all the dex entries are written from the point of view/personality of the Rotom in the machine :eek: When it gets to Rotom's dex entry it would just be stroking its ego about how cool it is I'm sure.
Rotom
The Plasma Pokémon
"The awesomest and cutest Pokémon there is. Rotom can inhabit household appliances and electronic gadgets. Fear me, humans! Wahaha~!"

Perhaps the reason Rotom does not show up as seen or owned is due to the different Pokedexes? There was something called a MeleMele dex so maybe different islands have different dexes? Like how Kalos has the different region dexes?

I only mentioned that to blind players so that if we see a new pokemon in the pokedex, we would know if they have any evolutions. I think that this would help prevent a situation when people want to evolve standalone pokemon. Not so much that the starters have two evolutions.

I think this is very cute and unexpected. I hope they can take advantage of Rotomdex's speaking ability without making it overbearing or irritating.

Sadly porygons are severely endangered due to how unstable their coding gets when they evolve. They are also too busy in space and being used as a part of pokemon SETI.

Seriously though. They probally didn't put a porygon in a lead "role" like this because they're still sullied by the electric solder porygon seizure debacle after all these years. Because of this, the only other option would be to use ghost that possesses electronics.

Maybe the rotom has a set personality that makes it less likely to damage the custom single screen 2DS.

Even without the seizure incident, I'm fairly certain Rotom would have been chosen for its cuteness factor.

Kanto has nothing to do with it? I mean Porygons could be caught in the wild in DP and ORAS. Some little kid out there might have seen it when they were looking in the backlot or one of the mirage spots. Or who knows even played the remakes on either emulators or because their older siblings had a GBA. There's always ways the kids could have found out about them.

Sure they're obscure, but they're really only obscure due to the controversy. All I'm saying is that things might have been different if Porygon wasn't blacklisted. It could have been one of those pokemon that had a small group of fans as well as a weird-cute factor but it was never allowed to after the incident. Having a Porydex would have been a great time for Porygon to make a comeback but they decided against it for some, very obvious, reason (no Porygons in the anime ever) and went with the other electronic related pokemon.

Porygon is pretty much the quintessential lost pokemon despite it still showing up in games.

Yeah, it's kinda dumb that it's been over 19 years since the seizure incident and TPCi still won't let go of the incident presumably in fear of further backlash even though it's been a long time since it's happened. Personally I think this is the reason why we have so few artificial/man-made Pokemon in the franchise that aren't based on "old" technology like the Klink family, Golurk, and Magearna because they're afraid of even acknowledge that Porygon even exists since they can't try and make a Pokemon based on modern present-day technology without having to address the elephant in the room.

I really wish TPCi just let go of what happened back then and moved on, even just a cameo of the species would do, but it won't happen since TPCi likes to play things too safe anymore.

This is literally Whisper from Yo-Kai Watch.

whisper.jpg

My thoughts exactly, I personally think Dex Rotom was created simply to compete with Yo-Kai Watch rather than try and distinguish the two franchises from each other.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom