• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rotom-Pokedex

Yeah, it's kinda dumb that it's been over 19 years since the seizure incident and TPCi still won't let go of the incident presumably in fear of further backlash even though it's been a long time since it's happened. Personally I think this is the reason why we have so few artificial/man-made Pokemon in the franchise that aren't based on "old" technology like the Klink family, Golurk, and Magearna because they're afraid of even acknowledge that Porygon even exists since they can't try and make a Pokemon based on modern present-day technology without having to address the elephant in the room.

I really wish TPCi just let go of what happened back then and moved on, even just a cameo of the species would do, but it won't happen since TPCi likes to play things too safe anymore.

My thoughts exactly, I personally think Dex Rotom was created simply to compete with Yo-Kai Watch rather than try and distinguish the two franchises from each other.
But rotom has been possessing random objects for years even before YW was even a thing, it's what he's known for. If anything this was just made to modernize the town map while making the dex unique from XY's. Killing two birds with one stone

I'd like to think that there's an explanation in-game for why Rotom was chosen over Porygon/Porygon2. From its dex entries, Porygon seems to be a basic AI that doesn't do much beyond what it is preprogrammed to do. Porygon2 on the otherhand can exhibit behavior that wasn't programmed, but that itself was limited. Taking the species further into Porygon-Z led to massive glitches that makes it an unreliable AI. Presumably there are limitations to improving Porygon's AI without evolving it.

In contrast, Rotom takes on the properties of the devices it possesses. Up until now, we've only seen it possess basic electronics, but now it is possessing a Pokedex which now not only stores vast encyclopedic information on Pokemon, but also a map of the region. Perhaps the Pokedex itself has basic AI so that when Rotom integrates with it, it takes the Pokedex's personality rather than being mischievous, while at the same time granting more flexibility on what it can do since Rotom is a natural Pokemon and not an artificial one with pre-programmed behavior. The plus side to this is that the Pokedex's software could probably get massive updates without having to trigger evolutions like Porygon does.

I'd like to think that there's an explanation in-game for why Rotom was chosen over Porygon/Porygon2. From its dex entries, Porygon seems to be a basic AI that doesn't do much beyond what it is preprogrammed to do. Porygon2 on the otherhand can exhibit behavior that wasn't programmed, but that itself was limited. Taking the species further into Porygon-Z led to massive glitches that makes it an unreliable AI. Presumably there are limitations to improving Porygon's AI without evolving it.

In contrast, Rotom takes on the properties of the devices it possesses. Up until now, we've only seen it possess basic electronics, but now it is possessing a Pokedex which now not only stores vast encyclopedic information on Pokemon, but also a map of the region. Perhaps the Pokedex itself has basic AI so that when Rotom integrates with it, it takes the Pokedex's personality rather than being mischievous, while at the same time granting more flexibility on what it can do since Rotom is a natural Pokemon and not an artificial one with pre-programmed behavior. The plus side to this is that the Pokedex's software could probably get massive updates without having to trigger evolutions like Porygon does.

To be fair, I can agree with this, even ignoring the unfortunate implications the Porygon family has. Rotom, despite being a ghost type, is more of a living organism, albeit an energy being. While Porygon would make more logical sense, Rotom gives off more personality and can be more flexible as to how it works.

But rotom has been possessing random objects for years even before YW was even a thing, it's what he's known for. If anything this was just made to modernize the town map while making the dex unique from XY's. Killing two birds with one stone

True, but it's still fundamentally a kooky ghost powering a computer tablet of monster information that gives advice and floats around. That's an awfully lot of specifics to be a "coincidence". Not that I'm complaining.

I'm more interested in how this will effect the marketing of the franchise at large. Namely - is Rotom going to be a huge marketing thing like Whisper? Will Ash have one (presumably Oak's)? Are we getting a bunch of toys and focus on it? It's a very anime-style idea, especially since some of the marketing implies Rotom PokeDex can facilitate communication with Pokemon. Which I can only take to mean the "Talking to Pokemon Feature" they've been kicking around since Ruby and Sapphire may finally be in play.

The Rotom PokeDex may be Team Rocket's Meowth in the player's pocket.

What are the Rotom Pokedex functions for now? 1) The classic Pokedex, 2) the Map (similar to ORAS map) and 3) A "Teachy TV" kinda guide to know where you are going.

Is that all there is? Will it have more integrated apps or not... Also, you know how in the first trailer, we saw Kukui waving from an app screen? Will this app be in- game too? Will it also be part of Rotom´s apps, or a separate tablet kinda feature?

Yeah, I'm guessing there's going to be more to the Rotom Dex and it's going to be both the Pokedex and the regional gadget. We already know that it functions as the Pokedex, the map, and a hint system, but it seems like they could do more with it. Dexnav functionality would be obvious for one (if Game Freak can be bothered to not make it ORAS exclusive). They also mention it being a new way to "communicate between people and Pokemon", so maybe it has a video communication feature (we do see Kukui trying to communicate through video in an earlier clip), a translator for Pokemon speech, and the usual combo of PSS/Super Training/Pokemon Amie. There's a lot of potential for this to be an extremely useful feature.

Last edited:
It's a very anime-style idea, especially since some of the marketing implies Rotom PokeDex can facilitate communication with Pokemon. Which I can only take to mean the "Talking to Pokemon Feature" they've been kicking around since Ruby and Sapphire may finally be in play.
I like their work-around--instead of actually developing technology that translates the Pokemon language, they have a Rotom possess a Pokedex, which presumably has speech capabilities, talk to you. So really, its Rotom translating speech, not the technology.

I think this little guy was a cool idea, just so long as they go about it right. That hand holding issue we've already discussed. I also hope it's a good character in its own right, rather than just a little "Go to city town" or "You find Solgaleo on Route 1" voice, but from the one line we could see in the trailer, that won't be an issue.
Also I'm not sure if this is the right pace for it, but it is about the Pokedex so, if you can now pull up the QR code for any Pokemon you've already caught so others can register them in their Pokedex, does that mean that Dex filling will now be nothing more than Googling for the QR codes? Seems kinda cheap to me.

^It may be cheap, but, for better or worse, it's a much more convenient method than going to a forum or the PSS and asking around for a certain Pokémon to trade for.
How about a new move where it gives information of the Pokemon it's battling? Sort of like Goombario and Goombella in the Paper Mario games.
Oh you know I am absolutely for this.

True, but it's still fundamentally a kooky ghost powering a computer tablet of monster information that gives advice and floats around. That's an awfully lot of specifics to be a "coincidence". Not that I'm complaining.

I'm more interested in how this will effect the marketing of the franchise at large. Namely - is Rotom going to be a huge marketing thing like Whisper? Will Ash have one (presumably Oak's)? Are we getting a bunch of toys and focus on it? It's a very anime-style idea, especially since some of the marketing implies Rotom PokeDex can facilitate communication with Pokemon. Which I can only take to mean the "Talking to Pokemon Feature" they've been kicking around since Ruby and Sapphire may finally be in play.

The Rotom PokeDex may be Team Rocket's Meowth in the player's pocket.
To me it seems more like an homage to the original Dexter from the anime if anything. Marketing wise I think this will make Rotom a star to many if they do it correctly because unlike Whisper Rotom is actually pretty well liked in his fandom

Also I'm not sure if this is the right pace for it, but it is about the Pokedex so, if you can now pull up the QR code for any Pokemon you've already caught so others can register them in their Pokedex, does that mean that Dex filling will now be nothing more than Googling for the QR codes? Seems kinda cheap to me.
It doesn't make sense that an encoyclopedia doesn't have that information in the first place. I'm guessing this is their closest approximation to actually "scanning" Pokemon.

Pokemon added via QR codes are only listed as seen, not obtained. So you still have to go out and actually catch the Pokemon to complete the Dex.

I actually think I realized why they picked Rotom for this. Y'see, Professor Oak has a Rotom in the anime, so they might have wanted to extend it to another Pokemon professor!

As we can see, older Pokemon species will make a return. The RotomDex video suggests we will have around 300 species in the regional Dex with a separation into 4 parts of about 75. The MeleMele Dex (MeleMele is the first Island while also being the word for Yellow)

Yellow Dex (MeleMele)
001 - 003 Rowlet + family
004 - 006 Litten + family
007 - 009 Popplio +family
??? - ??? Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu (confirmed in the QR code section on the first island)
??? - ??? Meowth/Persian (seen in the PC house)
??? Luvdisc (as seen in Kukuis aquarium)
??? Corsola (as seen in Kukuis aquarium)

Green Dex (Oma'oma'o) (North-Eastern island)
??? - ??? Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking (seen in the trailer on the beach with the white umbrellas)

Blue Dex (Uliuli is the word for blue, but can also stand for darker colors like a big mountain or the sea, which is why I think the most eastern island will be Uliuli)

Red Dex (Ula'Ula, red, is the sacred color of royalty and since the encounter with the legendaries will take place on the westernmost island, Ula'Ula for this one makes sense.
??? Solgaleo
??? Lunala
??? Magearna

I don't think we can count in Gengar and Salamance families yet, because in XY's promotional material there were plenty of random Pokemon targets used to show of the new Pokemon and their moves and iirc they weren't all in the Kalos Dex. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited:
I wouldn't count Meowth just yet since it seems likely the family brought it with them when they moved to Alola (if the Shohei trailer is meant to replicate the beginning and we've just moved there - which seems likely) and it might not be a native species. Imagine Kukui seeing it and wanting to get it to attack him...

Also where are people getting 300 from?

Also where are people getting 300 from?

The video showing off the Rotom Dex shows that the player has 3 seen, 1 obtained, and that the Dex is 1% complete. So naturally 100% of the Alola Dex should be about 100 times what's currently recorded in the Dex. Because of rounding it's hard to say for sure (they could easily have as many as XY, but round up to 1% just to show that you have some progress), so it's really just speculation at this point.

Last edited:
The video showing off the Rotom Dex shows that the player has 3 seen, 1 obtained, and that the Dex is 1% complete. So naturally 100% of the Alola Dex should be about 100 times what's currently recorded in the Dex. Because of rounding it's hard to say for sure (they could easily have as many as XY, but round up to 1% just to show that you have some progress), so it's really just speculation at this point.

Oh so that indicates at least 300 which is good imo. But yeah they aren't going to list 0% if you've seen 3 Pokemon because it would look silly. I think there will be more than 300, especially coming off Kalos' 450 (not saying they will outdo it, but I'd expect somewhere closer to that figure, especially with how dense and rich in enviroments the islands are looking).

As we can see, older Pokemon species will make a return. The RotomDex video suggests we will have around 300 species in the regional Dex with a separation into 4 parts of about 75. The MeleMele Dex (MeleMele is the first Island while also being the word for Yellow)

Yellow Dex (MeleMele)
001 - 003 Rowlet + family
004 - 006 Litten + family
007 - 009 Popplio +family
??? - ??? Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu (confirmed in the QR code section on the first island)
??? - ??? Meowth/Persian (seen in the PC house)

Green Dex (Oma'oma'o) (North-Eastern island)
??? - ??? Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking (seen in the trailer on the beach with the white umbrellas)

Blue Dex (Uliuli is the word for blue, but can also stand for darker colors like a big mountain or the sea, which is why I think the most eastern island will be Uliuli)

Red Dex (Ula'Ula, red, is the sacred color of royalty and since the encounter with the legendaries will take place on the westernmost island, Ula'Ula for this one makes sense.
??? Solgaleo
??? Lunala
??? Magearna

I don't think we can count in Gengar and Salamance families yet, because in XY's promotional material there were plenty of random Pokemon targets used to show of the new Pokemon and their moves and iirc they weren't all in the Kalos Dex. (correct me if I'm wrong)
We can also see Luvdisc and Corsola swimming in Kukui's aquarium. Also Slowpoke appears to be on a beach on the first island (North-Western) not the North-Eastern. However, that is only its overworld model that we see which is not recorded in the Pokedex as seen. So Slowpoke family could belong to any of the four Dexes.

Oh so that indicates at least 300 which is good imo. But yeah they aren't going to list 0% if you've seen 3 Pokemon because it would look silly. I think there will be more than 300, especially coming off Kalos' 450 (not saying they will outdo it, but I'd expect somewhere closer to that figure, especially with how dense and rich in enviroments the islands are looking).

I think they might tone things down because of the criticism towards XY having a ton of old Pokemon and not enough new ones, maybe trim it down to 300 or 400.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom