• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rotom-Pokedex

If there is a mute button I would like directions to it immediately.

I really was not fond of Navi or any navi-like companions in any game I've ever played. Let me mess around and explore and make mistakes and get lost. Don't try and point me in the right direction all the time. I want to discover the world, not travel it via google maps.

I hope this Rotomdex thing isnt annoying... I dread it will be. At the very least there needs to be a way to mute/turn it off. It will get annoying fast if it goes "NO stop thats the wrong way!
everytime you go the wrong way or in a different direction you're supposed to.

Here's a Japanese video I found showing a little more of the Rotom Pokédex in action!

It looks like it's a GPS after all.

What are the Rotom Pokedex functions for now? 1) The classic Pokedex, 2) the Map (similar to ORAS map) and 3) A "Teachy TV" kinda guide to know where you are going.

Is that all there is? Will it have more integrated apps or not... Also, you know how in the first trailer, we saw Kukui waving from an app screen? Will this app be in- game too? Will it also be part of Rotom´s apps, or a separate tablet kinda feature?

What are the Rotom Pokedex functions for now? 1) The classic Pokedex, 2) the Map (similar to ORAS map) and 3) A "Teachy TV" kinda guide to know where you are going.

Is that all there is? Will it have more integrated apps or not... Also, you know how in the first trailer, we saw Kukui waving from an app screen? Will this app be in- game too? Will it also be part of Rotom´s apps, or a separate tablet kinda feature?
I think it might give advice as to training up some of your 'mons based on how you've been training them, or maybe even inform you of swarms or if there's a chance you might find a Shiny.

Rotom Pokedex looks so cute! Even though the description gives off the idea it's not usable in battle, I hope it is.

This feature came out of nowhere. It's very interesting, and I'm curious to see how its going to function, but overall this just feels...really out of nowhere. But that's part of why I like it. I have no complaints about a Dex Form for Rotom either. I wonder what type/move it would get.

I'm thinking it'd be Electric/Steel. As for a move... How about a new move where it gives information of the Pokemon it's battling? Sort of like Goombario and Goombella in the Paper Mario games.

I mean it doesn't excite me or not excite me. I'm just "meh" about it right now tbh.

Imo it's too late to implement this feature especially in Sun/Moon... and into a Pokédex.......................... like why should a Rotom that's in a Pokédex not have some form of battle skill too? (Yes I get it's a Pokédex, but it kinda defeats the point of it). It's messy to me and it should have been done in Platinum if anything. Now is not the time for this kind of feature imo, I liked how the Kalos Pokédex was but I can't complain about this, it's not half as bad as the battle backgrounds looking even more pixelated than XY (I failed to see a "Game Footage not Final" in this trailer so I'll take the "what I saw" route.

I hope they don't go the hand holding route with Rotomdex. Cause I love Rotomdex and I don't want them to screw it up. I want Rotomdex to be my best friend.

Also! Looks like the Rotomdex shows you the entire line of pokemon on the top screen at once. And we're getting 4 regional pokedexes. I'm guessing one for each island.

Agree. Rotomdex seems like a very fun idea, to give your Pokédex a personality (as in the anime, but better!) and to have someone to interact with whenever you want. But given gaming standards, traveling companions equal handholders, so it's pretty much granted that Rotomdex will provide some handholding. As long as it's reasonable (or even better, optional), I'm fine, but if they go the Fi route, then it will turn from a beloved friend to just anorher nuisance.

Anyways, I wonder (though I doubt it TBH) if we will be able to actually use Rotom-Pokédex in battles. That would be hilarious and interesting. How about an ability that makes your Pokémon predict your oponent's next move, or something like that, if you own that Pokémon (based on the information Rotom acquired when it registered it on the Dex).

This was quite a surprise and I really like the Rotomdex. I don't think anyone saw this coming. I hope Game freak will know from other Nintendo games not to make it annoying like a certain fairy we know...

Also if we have the chance to name it I'm calling it Dexter. U know off the Kanto Dex from the anime.

From the looks of it, the Rotom Pokedex might also be functioning as the Pokegear type device.

You'd think that they'd use Porygon 2 for its interface considering that its actually an AI Pokemon whereas Rotom is supposed to wreak havoc on these devices.
Like Rotom screws around with the Pokedex because it thinks it's funny.

My dream of Rotom-Toilet is one step closer to reality.

I hope RotomDex also means we can finally get some new dex entries for older pokemon. They've been recylcling the same entries for a while now, and Gen IV and V mons haven't gotten new entries past their debut games.

I hope so. Game Freak's been working on this for a while now so they have no excuse for not writing new dex entries. Maybe not every Pokemon could get a new one but my god do we need some new dex entries.

From the looks of it, the Rotom Pokedex might also be functioning as the Pokegear type device.

You'd think that they'd use Porygon 2 for its interface considering that its actually an AI Pokemon whereas Rotom is supposed to wreak havoc on these devices.
You know what would be even better? If they used Porygon-Z for the interface.

I hope RotomDex also means we can finally get some new dex entries for older pokemon. They've been recylcling the same entries for a while now, and Gen IV and V mons haven't gotten new entries past their debut games.

Goddddddddddddddd yes, this please. And can we make them a bit longer, while we're at it? I got my wish for updated cries last time, maybe this one will pan out as well...

Honestly, I don't know why everyone's so worked up over this! The japanese footage that I posted clearly showed its navigation system to be akin to a GPS thing. This doesn't mean that it's gonna keep bugging you about where to go. After all, with most GPS systems, you usually have to specify a destination first. In fact, I'm going to show you the official website just to get my point across.

Pokémon Sun and Moon Website said:
The Pokédex is a convenient tool that records information about the Pokémon you see and catch during your adventure. In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, your character receives a special Pokédex from Professor Kukui to support you in your travels. It's known as the Rotom Pokédex, and it's inhabited by Rotom, a Pokémon with the power to reside in various electronic appliances. It does much more than record Pokémon info—it sparkles with its own personality. The Rotom Pokédex shows your current location and your next destination, and it also gives you advice on where to go next, based on the conversations you have with others! It's likely to be of great help to you in many parts of your adventure.

The part that I bolded implies that you have to give your Rotom Pokédex a certain amount of info that you need to get by interacting with NPCs and other resources such as shelves. From what I can gather, it's basically encouraging you to interact with the environment of the cities and towns. It sounds like a reason to explore to me!

Sadly porygons are severely endangered due to how unstable their coding gets when they evolve. They are also too busy in space and being used as a part of pokemon SETI.

Seriously though. They probally didn't put a porygon in a lead "role" like this because they're still sullied by the electric solder porygon seizure debacle after all these years. Because of this, the only other option would be to use ghost that possesses electronics.

Maybe the rotom has a set personality that makes it less likely to damage the custom single screen 2DS.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom