• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: Roxanne

Cabaret

I feel so much spring...
Reaction score
Alrighty, so I'm starting a new story. One that isn't a poem or a song. It's about Roxanne the gym leader of Rustboro. It's quite dark and I may be cursing alot so it is rated "R". The first chapter is designed differently then the rest of it will be, in the first chapter we never actually hear what Roxanne is thinking, that's next chapter. Please, it's quite good, though I'm afraid the first chapter might throw some people off. It isn't like that, I've already written chapter 2. It's just exposition.

Prologue: People Live and Die.

Johnson Soul passed away November 28th. He was the Rustboro Gym Leader. He was survived by his daughter Roxanne. He was only 62.

A funeral was held the next day. A small gathering, a few people of the city, the Devon executives sent flowers, Steven Stone came fifteen minutes late, and left fifteen minutes early. Not a single tear was shed. Not a word was said. And Roxanne never stood next to the grave, she was always a distance away. After the honoring, everyone left. Roxanne stood, yards away from the stone, alone. She was alone.She wore a simple dress in black, and stared contently at the gravesite. The forgetting would be easy, but the living would not. No one felt deep sadness, and no one wept or groaned. A man forgotten, an empty position, and a career built on stones. Roxanne finally left the gravesite and a trickle of sweat slipped down her face. There are things needing tending. There is work.

What happens when a good man dies? Is his spirit brought to a land of greats? Or is he forgotten and swept away into history? Come right in, explore her world and follow the tale, we'll begin: this story needs remembering.

Chapter One: A Day in Roxannes Land.

Four Months Later...

"Sunlight. Shit."

Roxanne awoke with a pain in the head, though frightningly tired, she'd rather be dead. She moved her body as if it was a stunt to behold. Her lifeless frame flopping around like a fish out of water. She trudged across her bedroom and into the bathroom, where a long look in the mirror gave her chills and despair. She was only 21, why was this happening to her? Her face almost as pale as the cotten balls she wiped it with. Her hair stood in place, that never changed. It was always long, beautiful, and chocolate colored, but right now, it was the only thing about her that didn't look like a mess. Her eyes held bags and her nose pink and runny, she crept to the shower to transform. The jets of water soothed her skin and restored her looks, to normal appearence. She turned the shower off and stepped out to dry off and begin preperations for her lousy day.

Roxanne cut her finger slicing an apple today, but the feeling was hardly comparable to the state if her mind. She would always make breakfest for two people, though there was no one else to give the breakfest to, she would let it lie on the table until evening. Roxanne fixed her gym leader suit to her liking, making sure her appearence didn't cause attention. She put on a pair of black sunglasses to hide her lack of sleep. She would feed her pokemon, hug Nosepass tightly for comfort. Then, like on signal, Roxanne got her pokemon and a few other gym related items and left her house to go to the gym.

The gym was right next-door to Roxannes apartment complex, so she really could show up any time she wanted. But the only reason she showed up early was because that is what her father always did, She always thought it would be rude to not follow his rules. The gym was a rock temple, the floor, the walls, the ceiling, all made of types of rocks. Her father designed well, and it would always be on permanent display reminding her of him. Roxanne cursed herself every time she saw the rocks. Besides Roxanne, the only other person that ran the gym was Ron, the annoying, pudgy man who was hired to stand by the door and make sure that battles were coducted fairly.

"Roxanne, I have some paperwork for the next gyms leaders confrence regarding double battles. Also, I've been meaning to have a word with you on the windows on the far wall, they're looking kind of filthy, also-" Ron always tried to bombard Roxanne with tasks and questions with any chance he could get. His annoying nasally voice was like scratching on a chalkboard.

"Put it on my tab." she replied emotionless, as she marched to the back of the gym and slumped in her throne.

"Wait, that doesn't even make sense." Ron accused, but it was too late, she was already asleep.

Challengers swarmed in and out during the summertime, in the fall the trainers started to decline, and by winter the gym would close for a few weeks due to lack of trainer. But then springtime arrived and the gym would be bustling with activity. Roxanne hadn't had a springtime being the gym leader yet, so she dreaded the change of the seasons. Battling wasn't a bore, but it wasn't terribly interesting either. She was a natural, learned from the best. Her father would often demonstrate his tecniques to her when he wasn't working the granite cave. Roxanne was rarely allowed in the gym during the busy seasons as a child, but when the fall rolled around, she would sit in the gym every afternoon and do her home work. Some of the greatest battes Roxanne had ever seen happend at those times, and she didn't know at the time that it would be helping her in the future. Roxanne couldn't help but smirk at the trainer who brought out a torchic to challenge her rock-type gym:

"Torchic, use Peck!" the pip-squeak yelped, ready to be victorious.

Torchic darted up to Nosepass and landed a solid peck on his head. Nosepass hadn't moved an inch, and looked to be annoyed. Torchic quickly ran away from the angered Nosepass.

"Nosepass, use Rock Throw." Roxanne yawned, knowing she was the winner.

Nosepass threw a palm-sized rock at Torchic, and the match was won.

Roxanne would often converse with her pokemon in her spare time, understanding them from years of friendship and being a family.

"Nosepass, you did a good job with the dodging in the last battle." Roxanne lightly praised Nosepass.

"Nosepass-pass (Roxanne?)" Nosepass asked her.

"Now if we could just work a little bit more on the Rock Tomb, maybe we could-" Roxanne murmered on.

"Nosepass-pass (Roxanne)" Nosepass asked her again.

"If we could just focus on centering it more on the target, then-" Roxanne continued on.

"Nosepass-pass! (Roxanne!)" Nosepass asked bluntly.

Roxanne bit her lip.

"Yes." she replied.

"Nosepass Nosepass-pass, Nosepass. (Are you doing ok?)" Nosepass asked her, as serious as a pokemon could be.

"I-I'm fine. Really, I've just got alot of stuff to do, you know, with the gym leaders conference coming up and all, and the Rustboro Pokemon Parade appearence that I have to make and-" Roxanne tried to rush on.

"Nosepass Nosepass. (No, I mean, How are you doing.) Nosepass asked seriously, he was worried for Roxanne more then anything. A pause filled the room.

"I'm gonna be alright. I just need some time to think, but I can't find any." Roxanne managed to slip out, without managing to tear-up.

"Nosepass Nosepass, pass. (Ok, take a rest)" Nosepass lightly left it at that, he never told Roxanne, but he was really worried that she may be hurting herself permanently with this kind of depression. He loved her, and all she had was him.

The day faded out, and the gym closed up shop. She left Ron to clean it up, he wouldn't question it. She would get home and lock her bedroom door. And tears, everywhere tears.

A Day in Roxannes Land: The end.

Last edited:
Re: Roxanne (rated "R")

One question: Is Nosepass male or female.

I wonder how this will play out? It looks like a promising beginning, and it is quite dark. I predict either a suicide, or Roxanne having to protect something and regain her self confidence.

Well I've already given a fair amount of the plot away in the writers block forum. I'm not ashamed to give away the plot, I can say that there will be murder. I didn't want to have to rate is R, because aside from the language, everything generally will be appropreate. Expect Steven Stone in the next chapter, and character development. It's not really going to get "climaxy" for a few chapters. I plan on making a "Roxanne Trilogy" where this is the first story in the world of Roxannes. In the next two stories after this one, it will become someone elses story, so I'll just leave speculation at that.

Wow, I guess I expected this. I knew that writing something about Roxanne would be small on the readership, but this is just apauling. Anyways, this chapter was written a week ago, and it sucks, like chapter one. BUT, I have taken a different approach on the writing in the later chapters, and I guarantee something will actually happen in the next chapter, and all my foreshadowing will acutally make sense. TELL ME IT SUCKS, TELL ME I'M STUPID. I know, this'll be one of those stories where you read the first few chapters and your like "This sucks.", then the plot takes a crazy turn and everything is suspensful. If you say it's absract, thank you. The first part of the trilogy should have that feel by the time I'm done writing it.

Chapter 2: Roxanne Gives In

"No, no it's fine. No I understand," Roxanne spoke into the phone as she paced her living room. It was unavoidable, there was no way she was getting out of the Gym Leaders Conference. "I just thought that since...I had gone through some serious stuff lately that maybe you could cut me some slack...oh no, I may sound fine, but for all you know I could look like a complete mess." Roxanne tried to persuade the commitee, to no avail.

"We would let you Roxanne, but your father missed the last one. We need the reports from Rustboro Gym and see if everything is in tip-top shape. Are you okay Miss. Soul," the receptionist was getting nosy again, "You sound kinda out of it."

"I'm fine. Everythings great. Why wouldn't it be great, it's great" Roxanne lied as she masked her sigh.

"Roxanne, you need to slow down. Take some time for yourself. I'm going to put down that you are attending the confrence?" the receptionist asked Roxanne, the pause deafening.

"........Yes." Roxanne finally said, ending the conversation there, and hanging up the phone.

Roxanne clutched the railing to the flight of stairs that led down from her apartment to the first floor of the apartment building. She wasn't always so frail, but that's what comes from too much pain and liquor. Rustboro was having one of it's technology conventions, the Devon Corp. was going to be hosting it, and they asked her to attend. Being the gym leader means never saying no, and Roxanne would certainly have hell to pay if she didn't go. Roxanne made the quick walk to the Devon building, Rustboro wasn't as big of a city as people made it out to be.

The room was filled with pompous-ass technicians, millionaire buffoons, scientists that gloated and they swooned. All they ever talked about were the latest advances in technology or the new scientist on the scene. 'What the hell did this have to do with me', Roxanne thought. 'I would rather be...', Roxanne tried to finish the thought. Only finding that she didn't know the answer.

"Ah, you must be the gym leader,What a pleasent surprise, tell use about your pokemon, what do you think of my latest invention, will you go out with me?" was all that Roxanne ever heard from the losers. They never asked her about her father, and rightfully so, Roxanne was known to leave a conversation if the subject of her father was brought up. But she had matured and the hysterics were mellowed. She remembered to bring her black shades, so what if it made her look blind?

"Roxanne, darling," said a feminate voice from afar. "How have you been?" The voice was that of Steven Stone, finest lawyer and rock collector in all of Hoenn. He walked across the room just to give Roxanne an overexaggerated hug. Roxanne didn't give affection back.

"Steven, I'd like to leave." Roxanne persisted, serious as ever.

"Why, some of the smartest men of the region, of the world are here." Steven replied, his white hair staying in place no matter how much he swayed.

"I don't feel well." she said, staring into his aqua eyes, trying to show him that she was distraught.

"You never feel well," he finally said with an amount of sternness. "What's going on? How can I get you out of this groove?" he asked her, seeming to want to help.

Roxanne took Stevens arm and led him out of the expo room, swiftly walking as fast as she could. They walked all the way through the Devon building and out the front door. She stopped at a lamp-post that littered the courtyard of the Devon office. She slumped over, back against the pole. Steven stared at her puzzled, and Roxanne simply kept her eyes focused on early afternoon Rustboro. The streets were bustling with activity at such an early hour.

"So...." Steven tried to break the silence.

"You're starting! Please Steven, I don't need help. Everything is fine and the gym is fine and we're fine and everything is fine. Everything is-" Roxanne stopped there, her manic driving her ill.

"Roxanne, I'm going to ask the board if they can close the gym for a while. Maybe start a temporary one in Verdanturf?"

"No!....no, the trainers come to the gym to battle me. I can't close up shop."

"Well I'm sure for a while it wouldn't be that bad. You're under alot of stress, and I don't want you to break down farther then you already are."

"Steven," Roxanne started," You're wrong, you're fucking wrong!" Roxanne cried with tears. Steven simply put his hand on her shoulder.

All these events happened before the "incident", before the sadness, and before the happiness.

Boy, aren't moods just fluctuating in this tale?

I've decide to discontinue writing this. I cared about it alot, but it's clear that it wasn't going to get much viewership, and I think it sucked. I'll try reapproaching this topic and these characters later in my fanfic writing. I felt trying to convey the characters was a little bit beyond my abilities at the moment, and once I've had some success in the future, there is no doubt that I will try another go at this plot I've constructed. To be honest, the plot was depressing from start to finish, and I really don't need that kind of stuff in my life right now. I do have plenty of ideas though for new fics. I have so many songs...

So thank you if you even glanced at it.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom