• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Notice RP Tour Guide (As of February 27th 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score

THE RP TOUR GUIDE

Welcome to the Roleplaying Section my young (or old) friend. I would like ask you what brought you to this little corner of BMGF, but I’m sure you’ve probably visited us before or maybe you were hanging around the writer’s workshop and figured it wouldn’t hurt to check this section out, or you just passed through the forums and thought this was a neat place and wanted to see what it was about.

Regardless of that I am here to help guide you through this section of the Writer’s Workshop, as I am sure you were probably confused with some of the things that form part of this section (if you weren’t then that’s great, but I still have to explain it anyway) and that’s what this guide is about, to help you learn the ways of this section.

Now let’s get started shall we?

ROLEPLAYING GAMES FORUMS

A Roleplay is a game in which multiple people gather to take the roles of a specific character, this character/s explores the setting of the RP as the plot moves around them…think Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft, or any main game were you play a character that doesn’t speak if you will, or if you want to move away from the games then think back to when you were a little kid and used to play as your favorite cartoon or movie character with your friends.

Now to explain a bit more, the person that originally comes up with the idea for the RP as well as being the person behind the scenes (or in the scenes if he or she so wishes to) is called a Game Master (Manager, whatever rocks your boat) or GM for short. The GM is the person in charge of the RP and the one in charge of controlling the plot, setting and NPCs (this last one is optional as some people might allow others to create their own NPCs, NPC means Non Player Character by the way)

But anyways RPs in this section can vary, they can either be Pokemon RPs or RPs that aren’t about Pokemon, on that note they can also be RPs about other franchises or even original concepts or concepts inspired in other franchises.

The RPs in this section go through two phases.

The first phase is Sign Ups, which is basically where people can create their characters. Sign Ups usually follow a general scheme, such as putting up a character’s name, gender and appearance. Some others ask for your character’s personality or background as well. They can also ask for things that are unique to the RP you’re signing up to (a special ability of some sort or Pokemon if it’s a Pokemon RP for example)

Essentially this is the part where the GM allows people to come in and craft their own unique character, keep in mind though that the GM can create their own conditions and he or she can either accept or deny you depending on what he or she believes.

Now for the second phase of RPs.

The Start Up.

This is the part where the RP actually plays out; it’s here where the plot starts to move and where people finally get a chance to use the characters that they have come up with. The plot, as I mentioned before, is controlled by the GM; however people are in charge of their characters and of their growth and development, this is where RPs become a story as people are controlling and developing their characters as the plot develops and they collaborate. On that note the Start Up doesn’t necessarily have to be done in a separate thread from the RP section as you can easily turn the sign up into a Start Up once you stop accepting people.

Honestly there isn’t much I can describe about this, considering that it’s something that a person catches on to with experience. And I understand that there are a lot of things that might seem confusing but one of the keys here is to go into things with an open mind and have fun, after all you can’t get used to something if you don’t enjoy it right?

Private RPs

You won’t have to look too far to see our sections own subforums. The first one of this forums is the Private RPs, these RPs are done between a couple people or usually a small group that usually goes up to four. These RPs in itself are similar to normal ones, except that they don’t require sign ups as the people in them have usually already decided to participate beforehand.

Private RPs are interesting to me because it allows people to have more freedom in a way, of course this doesn’t mean you can’t step out of private RPs or else you’ll end up limiting yourself.

Story Archive

This part of the section is where old and finished stories come to die. Basically this is the place where completed RPs are stashed after they’re done, this applies to sign ups as well as Start Ups.

Metronome Forum
This Subforum is a bit more special than the ones I’ve mentioned before. The Metronome forum is the place where people can go to put up their ideas for any RPs that they might have in mind, this way they are able to gather people’s opinions on their ideas ahead of time.

This place also houses the very special Discussion RPs, this RPs are usually treated as a third thread for a specific RP (Meaning that instead of an RP that consists of only a Sign Up and Start Up you also get a Discussion thread for said RP) or it could be done in the Sign Up thread after it’s already closed.

Miscellanea.

Roleplaying Forums General Chat Thread: This is a thread where any users from the RPG section or out (we welcome anybody) can come in and talk about their RPs or really anything they want, it’s basically a place for people to come and mingle with each other and have fun doing something different.

Roleplaying Games Rules: This is the thread where you can find the rules of the section, it’s a quick read and it’ll help you know what can and can’t be done before you start, I recommend reading this as a first priority.

RPG Directory: This is the thread were we note down RPs as they are created, basically once you make an RP you can come to the directory and we’ll add it in there so that people can see and as thus consider joining said RP.

Terms and Buzzwords

RP-Acronym for Roleplay, it is also occasionally used as RPG but RP is shorter.

PRP: Stands for Private RP basically, as I said before this is usually used to talk about RPs that are done in the PRP forums

GM: The person in charge for the RP as well as the person that deals with the plot and setting of said RP

Co-GM: this person can be someone that either helps the GM or was specifically selected by him/her, the role of the Co-GM is to help out during the RP and substitute for when the GM isn’t around.

OOC: This is a very special acronym that stands for “Out of Character” this Is used in RPs for when a member or the GM himself wants to say something that goes outside of the RP, it’s equivalent to putting pause on a video game so that you can talk to people, though do keep in mind that you are able to write a post in character as well as using OOC in the same post.

NPC: Stands for Non Player Character, it’s a character that can be controlled by either the GM or one of the players, this character is essentially a character that doesn’t have a major role in the RP and is only there to further develop said RP, as mentioned before the subject of who can use NPCs is the decided by the GM and can either be used solely by the GM or by other players if they are given permission.

Godmodding: In general this word can define a given character who is doing, saying or performing something that would be illogical or unreasonable to do in said RP, this can vary to multiple things like the character being able to do something that he couldn’t do before or doing something that goes against the rules of the RP itself, this can also extend to a character hitting or inflicting damage on another character without giving the person controlling that character time to decide whether to let it happen or not.

Tennising: Tennising is applied when two or more people post continuously, these posts are particularly short maybe even one liners and don’t have anything to do with moving the plot along, as thus a lot of people might lose track due to all the posts they have to read up to.

Bunnying: Also known as the weirdest term ever. This term refers to when someone controls another person’s character without their permission beforehand.

And that is all you need to know about how this section works. I hope that this guide was of help to you and that you’ll be able to go into the RP section with an open mind and be ready to have fun and enjoy yourself. Hope to see you around and goodnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom