• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RPG Character Class Upgrades

Do you like RPGs with class upgrades?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Yes, but why only five?

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No, all classes should be available from the start.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, class shouldn't change.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akamadoushi

Red Mage
Reaction score
The first example that comes to mind is the original Final Fantasy, where you select a fixed class at the beginning and later upgrade to a stronger version of that class (Red Mage --> Red Wizard). I'm working through rough notes for an RPG with 5 base classes, each with a completely different ability, and had the idea to introduce 5 Advanced classes as well. Each advanced class would be "between" two of the base classes, and would combine their talents, with each base class being able to select 1 of 2 different advanced classes (ie, Magician is bordered by Warrior and Hunter, Magician can upgrade to Sorcerer or Mystic, with Warrior having access to Sorcerer and Hunter having access to Mystic as well).

Off the top of my head, I can't think of other games that do something similar to use as example.

Last edited:
It might be a bit similar to Dungeons and Dragons, then? I've only ever played the computer games; but in things like Baldur's Gate 2 you can opt to Dual Class, picking up a new class. Say, going from a Fighter to a Fighter/Cleric or what have you. And obviously you can also go from a Cleric to a Cleric/Fighter.

Yeah, something like that, but without any disadvantages associated (don't know about BG2 but in Neverwinter Nights there were penalties for multiclassing). I imagine it as something that would happen far into the game, like in Final Fantasy and add powers without taking any away.

BG2 dual class penalty was having to start at the base level for the new class you dual-classed into. Resulting in having to grind up again.

Or something like that. I didn't tamper with Dual-classing :x

I like class upgrades. When I got them in FF1 I was really happy because I liked how the Warrior looked with the cape (in the PS1 version onwards... don't remember if he had it in the NES version)

I also like it when used in Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest VI, my favorite of that series had a class system that did allow for upgrades (or hybrid classes, more exactly).

However, Dragon Quest VII is an exception to the above statement... it got the system WRONG, and it required INSANE amounts of grinding. Too much.

Yeah, I like Job systems with Job trees if that is what you are asking. I don't want it to be overly complicated or random to unlock the class, and I like the structure to be related to the class before it... but yeah I like them if that is what you are asking. (Because I don't really get the question)

That said, a lot of RPG's have them, including pokemon as Evolutions or types can be seen as classes/jobs

Hmm...how off the top of my head, it'll be Windslayer (it's a Computer MMO)
Example, when you upgrade your class a second time... you'll get more skills, better weapons, and better armor... (i.e. Novice(Starting)-->Rogue(Upgrade choice 1)-->Assassin(Upgrade choice 2))
Then... it starts to get unfair to the n00bs still XD

Part of the challenge of Dragon Warrior (ha, my namesake again) III. I like them.

I'm more of a fan of jobs than class changes, mostly because I haven't played enough games with class changes to really know whether I like them or not, though I did enjoy them in FFI. For example, I loved FFV's job system because it allowed me to try out any kind of job I wanted and learn all sorts of different techniques instead of being limited to one type of class.

I'm more of a fan of jobs than class changes, mostly because I haven't played enough games with class changes to really know whether I like them or not, though I did enjoy them in FFI. For example, I loved FFV's job system because it allowed me to try out any kind of job I wanted and learn all sorts of different techniques instead of being limited to one type of class.

Yeah I love the job system of FFV and FFT, but the classes for this game would provide a constant passive bonus instead of active abilities. That's why I decided on set classes -- you pick your class at the beginning and you can do something better than other characters, and later you can upgrade your class by gaining a different class bonus while retaining your own. If that makes sense, I have a talent for confusing people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom