• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumor: Longtime Pokémon game translator let go

Quagbert

Bulbapædist
Reaction score
From GoNintendo...
At this time, I cannot confirm this story as 100% true. For now, we will run with it and see what happens. Word has it that Nob Ogasawara, the man behind the translation of nearly all the Pokemon titles available, has been let go. Nintendo says they will be taking on the translation task internally from here on out. The following is a posting from Nob Ogasawara himself.

So, after nearly a dozen years and nineteen Pokemon games later, I am out. I was told that my services were no longer needed because translation work will be handled internally hereafter. They assured me it’s not a quality issue, but because of some bureaucratic thing. OK, cool, whatever. As a career-long-and-not-about-to-change freelancer, I always expected this day to come, but not for this reason. But such is life.

I’ll always be grateful for the incredible opportunity the franchise gave me. I mean, sheesh, as the sole translator on those games, my words went out to tens of millions of people, perhaps even more, since all the Euro translations were based on the localized-by-me English text. Tens of millions? Maybe in the hundreds of millions? That’s mindboggling for an average shmoe of an immigrant kid who grew up in a Canadian suburb. It amazes me how many people its reached and how deep it has penetrated into the sociocultural fabric of… OK, enough of that grad paper horseshit. Still, whenever I see some little kid playing a Pokemon… gently caress, yeah, I still get a surge of pride.

I hope people enjoyed what I did. Or at least didn’t find it all that insufferable. As corny as it sounds, I really did pour all my love in to those games. If it helped brighten up some kid’s day, then yeah, go me. It was one gently caress of a great ride while it lasted. Thank you for being there and sharing it with me. Though, being here, I felt like a fraud since y’all’s knowledge run far, far deeper than mine. You deserve better than me.

So here’s to continued and greater success of the franchise in the decades to come. I remain a fan of Pokemon.

I read this news earlier today. I was surprised to learn that he was a freelance translator. I had only ever seen his name in the credits to the various Pokémon titles, so I had assumed that he was a Nintendo employee.

Assuming this is true, he will be missed.

This is truly sad news. Nob Ogasawara was a great translator, and he will be missed.

I don't know who he is D:

So does he translate main-series and spin-offs?

Sole translator? For all that text?

If this is true, that's too bad for him. It goes along with that "doing Pokémon things in-house" policy that's the norm these days, so it's not surprising.

Only one guy? Sheesh. Maybe we'll get the games closer to when Japan gets them now, though.

Shame there won't be any more gems like "I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear," or "We're just two buff guys standing next to each other. What's wrong with that?"

"We're just two buff guys standing next to each other. What's wrong with that?"
I've never heard that one. I liked the girl in Colo "Welcome to here!", lol.

It stinks he's out of the job however I can't yet decide whether or not I care about the upcoming change of translations. It depends on how the new person does. If it's about the same or better, good. If it's worse then bring this dude back.

That's a pity what's happened. I'll wait and see whether this was a good move or not though.=/

It appears that Nob Ogasawara, will be trying out for Nintendo's Treehouse Division, which is the group responsible for localizing all Nintendo games. So if he gets in this will not be the last time we see his name in the credits for a Nintendo game.

It appears that Nob Ogasawara, will be trying out for Nintendo's Treehouse Division, which is the group responsible for localizing all Nintendo games. So if he gets in this will not be the last time we see his name in the credits for a Nintendo game.

If that is true, I hope he gets in.

It's incredible that this one guy did all the translations for the Pokemon games. I will never forget playing the games for the first time an running into the youngster who says, "I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear."

Ogasawara was a really good translator. We'll miss him.

Now, only one thing makes me wonder, he's fired, so Platinum will be translated by someone else (probably a group of people, maybe Nintendo employees). Does this mean that we'll have completely different texts in Platinum? Or will they re-use Ogasawara's translations?

Be prepared for inconsistencies in future translations.

yes, he made the games good to play. now that means i may not get US platinum and get JP platinum.

Ogasawara was a really good translator. We'll miss him.

Now, only one thing makes me wonder, he's fired, so Platinum will be translated by someone else (probably a group of people, maybe Nintendo employees). Does this mean that we'll have completely different texts in Platinum? Or will they re-use Ogasawara's translations?

Be prepared for inconsistencies in future translations.

Probably cheaper if they reuse old text, atleast for minor characters. The major ones would probably have their text re-done. If I recall, some of the Gym Leader text was different in Emerald. I hope the funny stays :(

You know, its not like we didn't have inconsistancies like Janin and Charine anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom