• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumored Pokémon and Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What new "kinds" of Pokemon do you predict?

No squids, which I find surprising given their abundance around Japan, if i remember correctly...

I dunno, I always saw them as more like squids, what with the defined heads, weird beaks (on Tentacruel at least) and odd, Triangular details.

boxjellyfishlarge.jpg

I mean that looks more like a tentacool to me than a squid. Tentacruel it's understandable with the beak, but neither have fins on their mantles. It's just that having a pokemon with no face would be boring, so they improvised. They're really a combination of both, especially Tentacruel, with both of them having what appear to be stylized squid tentacles.

I just always considered them jellyfish cause of how overly abundant they are, which goes along with the prevalence of jellyfish down the shore.

Caught me there.

Animals are overdone, we need more machine Pokémon.

♫Pokemon, digital monsters...♫

we need some more Squirel type pokemon, Pachirisu definatley wont cut it. and we could use some more Fox pokemon

Am I remembering incorrectly when I think there was an episode where Dawn's Pachirisu looked at some bird pokemon longingly looking like it wanted to fly? I may be mixing that up with Bonsly watching Starly evolve that way. Yeah probably. But anyway flying squirrel pachirisu evolution.

I really feel like this generation could give us a lot of mythological and folklorical pokemon. Maybe I'm just assuming the silhouette is a werewolf and we're going to get a lot of pokemon like that. I'm sure we won't in the end.

A dolphin and a jellyfish would be awesome.

I'm liking the ideas in here. A quetzal would be awesome and a polar bear and peacock are all long overdo. A Sphinx would be interesting, and I'd love a Sperm Whale... although the naming would get a bit awkward there. I also love the dragon on the first page.

Keep em coming guys!

An electric sphinx with x-ray vision wasn't enough? We already have a whale(wailord) AND orca(kyorge) AND seal/dewgong.

An electric sphinx with x-ray vision wasn't enough? We already have a whale(wailord) AND orca(kyorge) AND seal/dewgong.

Wailord is a blue whale. I'm lookin' for a scrappier whale

I'm just agreeing with what has been said in the topic before. We HAVE a whale, I said a Sperm Whale, implying another... Wailord didn't quite do it for me.

Sphinx as in the Egyptian statue, dude.

Kyorge is not a dolphin o_o I neversaid Orca.

And... what the heck does Seel have to do with anything? Seel isn't a Polar Bear, I'm afraid.

I'm just agreeing with what has been said in the topic before. We HAVE a whale, I said a Sperm Whale, implying another... Wailord didn't quite do it for me.

Sphinx as in the Egyptian statue, dude.

Kyorge is not a dolphin o_o I neversaid Orca.

And... what the heck does Seel have to do with anything? Seel isn't a Polar Bear, I'm afraid.

An orca is a type of dolphin. Kyogre is clearly an orca. Sphinx = Shinx evo line. We already have sphinx pokemon and they're pretty cool. No need for more.

There were only like 10 bad ones. Get over it. They said they're working hard on this one. Gen 4 was rushed.

Who said I'm talking about 4th gen only? U MAD BRO!?

we need some more Squirel type pokemon, Pachirisu definatley wont cut it. and we could use some more Fox pokemon

Isn't Eevee a fox? And all his evolutions too?

Anyway, now that I think about it, were Ponyta and Rapidash the only horse Pokemon? There could be all kinds of different-typed horses. Ghost and Steel come to mind most readily...

An orca is a type of dolphin. Kyogre is clearly an orca. Sphinx = Shinx evo line. We already have sphinx pokemon and they're pretty cool. No need for more.

Luxray.png
=/=
mpl_3a.jpg

382.png
=/=
3EC_dolphin2.jpg

While I'm not opposed to the idea....do you mean like Metagross?

Well yes. More Pokémon that look less like animals and more like things, be it machines, living inanimate objects or even concepts given a physical form.

Far too often, people look at animals for inspiration, even though there's a ton of things that can be made into a Pokémon. For example: an animate Fighter Jet.

What about pokemon based off of cryptids(creatures we don't know exist or not)? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but it seems like an idea.

Reposting from that Ideas thread:

I'd love to see an accurate representation of the Shishin. You guys may know them best as the Four Guardians of the Four Cardinal Directions (steeped in Chinese Mythology, supplimented by the Shintenno [The Four Heavenly Kings]).

Tortoise (Black Warrior) = North, Winter, Black, Water (Chn: Xuan Wu 玄武, Jp: Genbu)
White Tiger (Kirin) = West, Fall, White, Metal (Chn: Baihu 白虎, Jp: Byakko)
Red Bird (Phoenix) = South, Summer, Red, Fire (Ch: Zhuque 朱雀, Jp: Suzaku)
Dragon = East, Spring, Blue/Green, Wood (Chn: Qinglong 青龍, Jp: Seiryuu)

The entire page is an interesting read and helps dive deeper into the mysteries and lore surrounding each guardian. Of course, you could base an entire game off of their mythos, starting with the Four Seasons or the directional points.

Fun fact: Originally there were 3 beings - The Phoenix, the Dragon, and the Unicorn
Fun fact: The Northern representation is said to come from the 'Black Warrior'.

There have been many allusions to these celestial beings in the games already if you take a certain point of view.

Legendary Bird Trio: Representing the Phoenix. Though not all based around Fire, they are do have the bird part down.
Legendary Beast Trio: Representing the White Tiger. The beasts themselves are a mixture of canine and feline, which leaves things open to interpretation.
Legendary Golems: Representing the Turtle. Again, they aren't so much resembling the turtle as they are the Warriors of the earth.
Legendary Dragons: Representing the Dragon. They may not be your typical trio (then again the 4th Gen isn't really typical of anything), but they do fit the image, despite some radical designs.

And certainly, there are some very obvious homages to these types of beings in other Pokemon: Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Regigigas, potentially even Arceus.

The best thing about using such ideas for Pokemon creation is that they come pre-packaged with their own types virtually guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom