• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RUMOUR: Pokemon Next Gen

Ugh, I'd hope that the main series wouldn't take to a console...I like my handhelds, thank you very much! I'd stop buying the games if THAT happened.
I really like the plot idea, though...The sacrificial thing is very cool (I'm kinda twisted, I know.), but it seems highly unlikely for it to become real, because of the nature of it. But, we never know. Two times we've had teams try to wipe the whole planet out, so maybe this isn't so Farfetch'd as it seems.
I really like the concept of Plus and Minus, except for it being based of South East Asia. I'd hope for it to be based of Germany! But eh, I'm open to it. :D
I honestly think it's fake and that somebody just slapped it together, but it's sure interesting. Guess we'll just have to keep our eyes out for any information on it after Pokemon Z or whatever next comes out.

If this is real, I'll be sad. Not because I don't like the games or anything, but because I'm not shelling out $250+ for a Wii U and a $50 game. Its even worse that the 3DS will never be able to reach that level of graphics without melting.... (PC edition anyone?!??!)

Since it's very early after the Gen. VI games out, plus how unrealistic it sounds; I definitely think everything about possible Generation VII information would be 100% fake. If anything regarding Generation VII is announced or leaked, I don't think it'll be until at least half a year after the third version and/or remakes in 2 1/2-3 years.

*facepalm* You guys don't understand what the rumor is saying about the new console, do you? All right, lemme try to explain it.

The game is supposed to launch for a new Nintendo console, NOT THE 3DS OR WII U. In order to prevent more confusion, I'm going to attach a name to this console. Let's call it the Nintendo WiiS. The WiiS, just like its name, combines the Wii brand with the DS brand to create a console that serves as both a home console and a handheld. In other words, it serves as a successor to both the 3DS and the Wii U.

Now how would the WiiS work? The rumor mentions both a "Handheld unit" and a "Terminal unit". The Handheld unit could work two ways, you can take it with you and play it independently, functioning like a normal handheld like the 3DS. Or you could connect it with the Terminal unit, and the Handheld unit and Terminal unit would function like the Wii U Gamepad and the Wii U console respectively. You would use the Handheld unit as a controller, and the game would display on your TV screen with upscaled graphics.

So with that in mind, let's look at the rumor again and re-analyze what this means. The game is one that is meant to be played either way, you can play it on both the WiiS Handheld or the WiiS Terminal. There's two areas in the game's region, a mainland area and island area, which are accessible on the WiiS Terminal and the WiiS Handheld respectively. The main gameplay takes place on the island area, with gyms and Elite 4 and everything. If you wanted, you could play the entire game on just the Handheld. You would play this much like you would in current Pokemon games, you can take your Handheld wherever you want, trade and battle with other people's WiiS Handhelds, and presumably use other existing communication features on 3DS like Streetpass and Spotpass. If you're connected to the Terminal unit, you can still play the island area, and the graphics are upscaled so you can play it on your TV. You also have access to the mainland area, which has MMO elements. Presumably, that would mean that you can enter someone else's game like you could with the Entralink or in Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, and complete an optional part of the game with a new storyline, catching Pokemon and battling trainers together. This would work very well locally, where you can invite friends over your house and they could bring their own WiiS handheld and connect to your WiiS Terminal and enter your game. Or you could complete it with friends online by sending out an invitation through the PSS (or equivalent feature). So to sum it all up:

Playing on the WiiS Handheld:
-You can complete the main gameplay on the island area with the usual Pokemon League quest.
-You can play the game on the go like you currently can in the main games.
-You can connect with people and play Handheld to Handheld, allowing you to trade and battle with people the way you do now.
-Presumably, you could use other connection features like Streetpass and Spotpass.
-You can connect to the internet and play people online in the same way that you do now.

Playing on the WiiS Terminal:
-You can complete the main gameplay on the island area with the usual Pokemon League quest, but you would play it on your TV with upscaled graphics.
-You can connect to the internet and play people online in the same way that you do now.
-You can access the mainland area which contains an optional area that you can complete cooperatively with friends (either locally by connecting individual Handheld units with one Terminal, or online through the PSS) catching Pokemon and battling trainers together.

So does everyone get how this is supposed to work? Can we stop saying "I don't think this game will be for 3DS or Wii U"?

Everyone is saying that it is a slapped on rumor, but there is a indication that this new region is possible. Remember the idol that you get from the backpack guy? This could serve as a teaser for the next game generation.

I highly doubt this is real, especially since there's already too many details about this, as well as the fact that it's too early to be considering Gen 7 since X/Y hasn't been out for a year, so let's enjoy Kalos while it lasts. I do like some of the ideas such as the names, which are very possible given we have titles like X and Y this generation, and given the idea for the region sounds like it would be based on Thailand and Malaysia, which sounds pretty cool, though I kind of want a region based on South Korea more since I feel South Korea has more potential. The legendary ideas sound rather cool too, such as the Ghost/Fairy hurricane which sounds like a Hindu god, which sounds cool since we have yet to have any Hindu-themed Pokemon yet, same for the multi-headed Lion Pokemon which goes with the fact that a lot of things in Hindu beliefs have multiple heads. The villain team idea sounds pretty cool too.

I do NOT like the ideas for the starters though, since usually the starters are often cute animals like otters (Oshawott) and foxes (Fennekin) and never strictly plants (like the implied grass starter) or inanimate objects (like the implied water starter), not to mention the type combinations sound too strange given the fire starter's Fire/Fairy combination sounds completely unlike how the final form is described, which seems more Fire/Dark or Fire/Steel to me. I also don't like the whole thing about how certain aspects are on a console and others are on the handheld, since I am pretty sure that Game Freak said they would not make a main-series Pokemon game for the console and would always be handheld, which I feel works perfectly for the franchise to be handheld exclusive since it goes well with the kind of compatibility and multiplayer that the franchise was built on.

Something interesting I have noticed is that these rumors came out on January 6th, exactly one year after X/Y was first announced, so I can say that this is likely a fake, even if Dual Pixels says that their sources have been proven in the past. I feel this rumor was started by someone who was unhappy with how X/Y turned out and wants Game Freak to go with his idea for a Pokemon game, especially when you consider the long history of "The next Pokemon game will be like this" rumors. For instance, back in January 2013 I heard a rumor that the Gen 6 games would have a single starter of a new type (called the "Virtual" type) that evolved into Pokemon of multiple types (like Eevee) and it would be an open world set in a space colony; the very next day Pokemon X/Y (the ACTUAL Gen 6) was announced and proved that rumor wrong, which I am personally glad it was because this rumor sounded very unlike a Pokemon game from what I read about it.

Well rumors are rumors. Nothing can be proven that this is real nor that it is fake. I'm gana do what i usually do and not expect a Gen VII.
Getting my hopes up for some fantasy is something stupid, but getting hyped for some big event such as a confirmed Gen VII is all the rage.

*facepalm* You guys don't understand what the rumor is saying about the new console, do you? All right, lemme try to explain it.

The game is supposed to launch for a new Nintendo console, NOT THE 3DS OR WII U. In order to prevent more confusion, I'm going to attach a name to this console. Let's call it the Nintendo WiiS. The WiiS, just like its name, combines the Wii brand with the DS brand to create a console that serves as both a home console and a handheld. In other words, it serves as a successor to both the 3DS and the Wii U.

Now how would the WiiS work? The rumor mentions both a "Handheld unit" and a "Terminal unit". The Handheld unit could work two ways, you can take it with you and play it independently, functioning like a normal handheld like the 3DS. Or you could connect it with the Terminal unit, and the Handheld unit and Terminal unit would function like the Wii U Gamepad and the Wii U console respectively. You would use the Handheld unit as a controller, and the game would display on your TV screen with upscaled graphics.

So with that in mind, let's look at the rumor again and re-analyze what this means. The game is one that is meant to be played either way, you can play it on both the WiiS Handheld or the WiiS Terminal. There's two areas in the game's region, a mainland area and island area, which are accessible on the WiiS Terminal and the WiiS Handheld respectively. The main gameplay takes place on the island area, with gyms and Elite 4 and everything. If you wanted, you could play the entire game on just the Handheld. You would play this much like you would in current Pokemon games, you can take your Handheld wherever you want, trade and battle with other people's WiiS Handhelds, and presumably use other existing communication features on 3DS like Streetpass and Spotpass. If you're connected to the Terminal unit, you can still play the island area, and the graphics are upscaled so you can play it on your TV. You also have access to the mainland area, which has MMO elements. Presumably, that would mean that you can enter someone else's game like you could with the Entralink or in Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, and complete an optional part of the game with a new storyline, catching Pokemon and battling trainers together. This would work very well locally, where you can invite friends over your house and they could bring their own WiiS handheld and connect to your WiiS Terminal and enter your game. Or you could complete it with friends online by sending out an invitation through the PSS (or equivalent feature). So to sum it all up:

Playing on the WiiS Handheld:
-You can complete the main gameplay on the island area with the usual Pokemon League quest.
-You can play the game on the go like you currently can in the main games.
-You can connect with people and play Handheld to Handheld, allowing you to trade and battle with people the way you do now.
-Presumably, you could use other connection features like Streetpass and Spotpass.

Playing on the WiiS Terminal:
-You can complete the main gameplay on the island area with the usual Pokemon League quest, but you would play it on your TV with upscaled graphics.
-You can access the mainland area which contains an optional area that you can complete cooperatively with friends (either locally by connecting individual Handheld units with one Terminal, or online through the PSS) catching Pokemon and battling trainers together.

So does everyone get how this is supposed to work? Can we stop saying "I don't think this game will be for 3DS or Wii U"?

That's a whole lot of words to write about for a made up rumor that someone pulled out of thin air.

That's a whole lot of words to write about for a made up rumor that someone pulled out of thin air.

This isn't the first time someone's suggested the idea of a hybrid console. The idea of such a console intrigues me.

For instance, back in January 2013 I heard a rumor that the Gen 6 games would have a single starter of a new type (called the "Virtual" type) that evolved into Pokemon of multiple types (like Eevee) and it would be an open world set in a space colony; the very next day Pokemon X/Y (the ACTUAL Gen 6) was announced and proved that rumor wrong, which I am personally glad it was because this rumor sounded very unlike a Pokemon game from what I read about it.

XD I remember that rumor, it was hilariously bad.

Last edited:
This isn't the first time someone's suggested the idea of a hybrid console. The idea of such a console intrigues me.

For instance, back in January 2013 I heard a rumor that the Gen 6 games would have a single starter of a new type (called the "Virtual" type) that evolved into Pokemon of multiple types (like Eevee) and it would be an open world set in a space colony; the very next day Pokemon X/Y (the ACTUAL Gen 6) was announced and proved that rumor wrong, which I am personally glad it was because this rumor sounded very unlike a Pokemon game from what I read about it.

XD I remember that rumor, it was hilariously bad.

It's the first time I've heard the idea of a hybrid console, and while there is the tablet controller for the Wii U, many games can still be played with a regular Wii remote from what I heard, though I don't have a Wii U so I wouldn't know. Either way, the main series games should always remain on a handheld, because I feel that's how the franchise works best, as well as the reason I think the games are successful because you can easily play the game on the go rather than constantly having to wait until you get home to play them, this combined with the franchises concept of multiplayer between two different handhelds that creates what is essentially a community of players before the internet existed, multiplayer always existed in video games, but the Pokemon franchise was the first to have multiplayer between two different cartridges (unless there was another Game Boy game before Pokemon R/B/Y that did so, correct me if I am right about this). It's worked in the past, and will continue to work for the future.

I wish I knew where the rumor was because it was a long time ago that I saw it, but it was really bad and sounded very unlike the Pokemon games have been for the previous 5 generations, the Pokemon franchise wouldn't make that big of a change to the formula of the franchise, the changes have to come slowly over the course of several generations.

It's the first time I've heard the idea of a hybrid console, and while there is the tablet controller for the Wii U, many games can still be played with a regular Wii remote from what I heard, though I don't have a Wii U so I wouldn't know. Either way, the main series games should always remain on a handheld, because I feel that's how the franchise works best, as well as the reason I think the games are successful because you can easily play the game on the go rather than constantly having to wait until you get home to play them, this combined with the franchises concept of multiplayer between two different handhelds that creates what is essentially a community of players before the internet existed, multiplayer always existed in video games, but the Pokemon franchise was the first to have multiplayer between two different cartridges (unless there was another Game Boy game before Pokemon R/B/Y that did so, correct me if I am right about this). It's worked in the past, and will continue to work for the future.

I wish I knew where the rumor was because it was a long time ago that I saw it, but it was really bad and sounded very unlike the Pokemon games have been for the previous 5 generations, the Pokemon franchise wouldn't make that big of a change to the formula of the franchise, the changes have to come slowly over the course of several generations.

That's the thing, you wouldn't lose any of what makes it a handheld, and connecting with the Terminal would be optional. What it basically amounts to is the same game we've played, but with an optional console based MMO mode (which would basically be like an adventure version of the Entralink). That's an appropriate level of change for next gen, IMO.

What really put me off on that other rumor was that it wasn't realistic at all. A space based region doesn't really fit the main series, which is primarily about exploring the WORLD of Pokemon. Maybe they'd do that for a spinoff, but certainly not the main series. Also, Virtual type would've been completely broken. So you get a starter with no weaknesses and anything that's dual type gets their existing weaknesses and resistances exaggerated? How is that remotely balanced?

I suspect its more likely we may see a remake this year, folowed by XY-2 or whatever they chose to call it the following year then "Gen 7" whenever they decide to do it.

As for Hybrid consoles thoes have been tinkered with for years, and nothing ever comes of the idea.

The basic problem is you cant stuff current gen console graphics into a smaller space than what they currently have them stuffed into, adding a screen to that eats up more power than you want it to(seriously is it realy a handheld if you have to plug it in to run it?) building controls is complicated by the fact that your trying to add controlers to a TV screen thats straped to a Console and and by the time you can actualy get a current gen console reduced to the size that it can be concidered a viable game sytem and not something that has everyone going "your kidding right?" because of how bulky the darn thing is.....its already time for the NEXT gen of consoles...and contradulations you just created the Nintendo DS.....

(never mind that you end up somehow suporting 2 resolution sets in the same system TV and Handheld monitor and the constraints thoes put on a game)

I just read an article on Yahoo about a Nintendo console that is code named "Fusion". It is the system that this article is talking about and again there are too many specifics in place that just dont fit. Some of the technology that is stated in the article is impressive and other parts are being choked by too little memory or by a Chip compatibility issue that needs to be resolved by manufacturers not by Nintendo/Sony/MS. My guess is the Pokemon article and this one for the "Fusion" are simply idea pooling for the next generation console. I do believe that dual mode devices are going to be the future of gaming, and being able to play on a handheld when away from home and then moving the progress to the home based console and continue on will be as normal as using a controller to move your character is today. IMHO the smart company is going to integrate the handheld part of the equasion to multiple devices such as a smart phone or tablet and even also be able to link to that company's hand held. So far only Sony and Nintendo have a linkable handheld device, this is a big step forward in the right direction, next would be iDevice, winDevice and Android compatibility. Unfortunatly I see a road block at this point. MS will be arrogant enough to only link their system to their device and not allow the others the premissions, Sony is most likely to develop linkability to iOS and Android which would give their system a huge lead and Nintendo while actually poineering this technology (Wii U has this ability right now with the DS/3DS and gamepad) will site online safety and not venture further. This is the future of gaming if the big 3 want to stay in the game.

Dom

I just read an article on Yahoo about a Nintendo console that is code named "Fusion". [snip]

Link, please? It would really be helpful if, in the future, you linked to any articles you're talking about that others here probably haven't seen.

im pretty sure that beta software already exists on the 3DS

Nintendo has more than Beta software in the 3DS. DSi and 3DS has download play which can take data, create a game file and play it just like it's a cart in the slot. The DS and DS Lite can do download play but have no method of storage but the DSi and 3DS can store games on the SD card and keep the games even after the system is shud down. Download Play software is very similar to how the Wii U and gamepad communicate. Dual mode technology is already here, it is just no one is taking advantage of it. The PSP/Vita and PS3 were supposed to be able to do this and once again developers didnt take advantage of it. Unfortunatly for the Wii U Nintendo has forced it's developers into making dual mode games as the Wii U will not function without the gamepad in the mix. Nintendo would be in smart to remove the "requirement" of the gamepad and make it an option, and by option I mean exclusive gamepad only abilities or features, and a normal style controler for those who do not want to use the gamepad. If developers could create games that didnt need the gamepad then I believe they would look into the Wii U system a little more. This would allow development of games alongside PS4 and XB1 at least to a point. PS4 and XB1 have much different software needs in the graphics department that are not at all compatible with the Wii U. I just hope we get the chance to see all of what the Wii U can do before it is replaced. Ninitendo said that the Gamecube's games at the end of it's life were only a portion of it's abilities and that further abilities were not fully utilized and work on a new console went full swing once the PS2 and XB stole the show.

Nintendo is going to have to make people "WANT" the Wii U, and if you ask me they are going to need to step up and show us what it can really do. The games are blu-ray based finally so why not have a blu-ray player installed in a future update? The Wii could play DVDs like a pro and people have hacked the Wii so it would play regular DVDs. Nintendo already has a few casual gamer games for the U on the market but nothing for the hardcore guys/gals out there with online play abilities and nothing like PSN or XBL to allow for the much needed cyber bragging and what have you. The U is capable and while I like the online safety features of Nintendo I do belive they need to leave that in the hands of the parents. Hell I'm a parent and my 8 yr old son has only limited online access, that is my choice as a parent to make. Some of his classmates already have facebook and twitter accounts, that is their parent's decision, I feel that stuff is too dangerous, hell I dont even have a FB account if you want to talk to me, call, if you want to know what I have been up to ask me durring that call. If you want to get to know me lets hang out and see if we get along and build a friendship based on companionship not on a digital persona. Anyway back to Nintendo... Many hardcore gamers are not buying the Wii family of systems because they have no online comminity like the PS3/4 and the XB family does. Nintendo would be smart to get on this train before it leaves them too far behind to catch up. Their system is modern enough but their business model is still a horse pulling a cart.

Nintendo made it's name back in 1985 when the NES came out. At that time the home video game industry was in shambles. The Atari 2600 was outdated but even worse the games had no QC process to pass, all you had to do was manufacture a cart that fit the Atari and publish it. No input from Atari was needed, in fact they didnt care. New gaming systems were not selling, the Atari 7600 had graphics near to the NES almost 2 years earlier but it didnt sell well due to the stigma that had developed over home gaming. Here comes this company that made upright and table top gaming machines for arcades bringing a home console out that was not a Game console but a Computer Entertainment System. It was simply a gaming console with a fancy name but when you read the box and looked at what you got there was no joy stick, the games looked just like the ones you dropped hundreds of quarters to play at the arcade, and the box also showed a Robot that was your game playing friend. This was a marketing genius, lets move the attention away from what made people associate game with and show them that games are fun, and this is an "entertainment system" not a game console. The NES made gaming history, and the company that created it has lost the vision that pulled the gaming industry out of a hole so deep many though that there was no recovery. The industry was in such poor favor Nintendo could not sell the NES at all when they first brought it to market. Nintendo had to go store to store and make a deal to move the NES. Basicly they said you give us some floor space, we will let you keep a precentage of each NES you sell and you dont have to buy a single one, we will supply them, the games and even buy some ad space in your catalog. So in another feat of marketing genious Nintendo puts their product on store shelves with no risk to the store, only profits and makes history. Where are the people who came up with these ideas back in 1985? If they still work for Nintendo they need to retire and get some new people and fresh ideas.

Ok enough ranting

Dom

Yahoo!

Linky as requested from post above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom