• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RUMOUR: Pokemon Next Gen

The idea is that Nintendo will only release one system in the next generation, merging the handheld system with the console. So a game could have different features exclusive to each part of the system.

The merging of the system could have easily been done this generation. The Wii U Gamepad would have been a fantastic handheld.

So?

also may I remind you they kept releasing ds games after the 3ds release

Probably because they were still in development before the devs had access to the 3DS dev kits. If Game Freak was given the development kit for this as early as the rumor says, it's definitely possible for such a game to be released sooner than usual, possibly even within the launch window.

Wait....what? So not only is this a rumor that Pokemon is gonna have a home and handheld console version, but that the handheld and console are the same thing next gen? And we're what, at least 4-5 years away from the Wii U being replaced? How is this even possible to be in the beta stages already? HOW?

It probably isn't, that's why people are crying fake. The problem isn't as much that something like this isn't possible, it's that something like this isn't possible NOW. If this rumor was posted about a year or two later when they'd begin to think about next gen, it'd probably be more believable.
my point is, that there has been a game release for pokemon 2-3years straight around this time (just remembered PMI magnagates

my point is, that there has been a game release for pokemon 2-3years straight around this time (just remembered PMI magnagates

Side-games don't really count in this debate though, especially since Mystery Dungeon games are not made directly by the Game Freak team.

Side-games don't really count in this debate though, especially since Mystery Dungeon games are not made directly by the Game Freak team.

true, it was just worthwile to point out

It's obviously fake, though some of the ideas are certainly intriguing. I mean a region based on South Asia with an island motif sounds great. The story elements sound absolutely amazing but also quite mature (possibly a little too mature...we gotta remember it's still a kids game) it would easily be the most intricate story yet. The pokemon designs are certainly.......um unique. Gen VI will mostly have another region in it so idk maybe some of these ideas will come into fruition.

Did kids lose interest in Black/White? Because the suggested concept isn't much deeper than that of Pokémon liberation. In a nutshell, it's about forgoing Poké Balls and technology in favor of dedicating oneself to a single Pokémon as was done in the past.

I don't think "complex" is the issue as much as it's too dark for kids. The idea that the rival character is to be sacrificed to summon the legendary Pokemon is something that will probably not happen in a kids game like Pokemon.

The merging of the system could have easily been done this generation. The Wii U Gamepad would have been a fantastic handheld.

It's a shame we didn't, that would've been more innovative. But it's not too late for them to do it next gen.

Well, Game Freak typically releases games every 1-2 years, so with that in mind, we're probably going to have at least two more games before 7th gen. Which would take up all of Game Freak's development resources at this point, which is why people are saying it's too early for 7th gen. Maybe they'll start in a year or so.

It's obviously fake, though some of the ideas are certainly intriguing. I mean a region based on South Asia with an island motif sounds great. The story elements sound absolutely amazing but also quite mature (possibly a little too mature...we gotta remember it's still a kids game) it would easily be the most intricate story yet. The pokemon designs are certainly.......um unique. Gen VI will mostly have another region in it so idk maybe some of these ideas will come into fruition.

The Pokemon and the region, maybe. Everything else seems to be designed around the new console and wouldn't really be suitable for a 6th gen game.

I don't think "complex" is the issue as much as it's too dark for kids. The idea that the rival character is to be sacrificed to summon the legendary Pokemon is something that will probably not happen in a kids game like Pokemon.
If the character ended up being saved, it wouldn't be darker than Lysandre's ambition of annihilating most of humanity as well as all Pokémon. The difference is that it might be handled in a less halfhearted way than the Team Flare plot was. Either way, the sacrifice aspect isn't the crust of the suggested concept.

It's a shame we didn't, that would've been more innovative. But it's not too late for them to do it next gen.

Seemed like something Sony could've done with the PS4 and Vita. Hopefully Nintendo does that then Smash Bros on both platforms would actually work

Seemed like something Sony could've done with the PS4 and Vita. Hopefully Nintendo does that then Smash Bros on both platforms would actually work

That was Sony's plan with the Vita and also the PSP but neither system really took off that well and developers for the most part shyed away from designs that took advantage of the system's ability to link. I have the first gen PSP and I can control my PS3 with it over a wireless connection or even from somewhere else completely so long as my PSP knows the IP address of my home network and the PS3's addy.

Im My opinion the Wii U has a great idea with the game pad controller, I believe that gaming will eventually move to a combination of hand held devices and TV based devices. Nintendo may not have much developer support for the Wii U system but it is not because the system is not revolutionary, it is because the graphics power is not what Sony and MS have so to develop a game for the Wii U is not a simple task.

Games for the PS4 and X-1 can be written in the same language, and for the most part the development for both systems can happen at the same time, minus a couple of the things that make each system unique such as the botton icons and things with PSN and XBL. This speeds development for those 2 systems but with the Wii U being of a totally different architecutre, and different overall configurations the developers need to dedicate a team to create the same games with completely different core structures which will only cost more money with a much lower return in investment. This is why the Wii U is a failure, not because the hardware is no good. Similar thing happened to the GameCube.

Dom

The GameCube just had the unfortunate timing of going up against the mega console of the PS2, the most successful game console of all time with a huge library of games. However, it was still successful in its own right.

The WiiU would LOVE to be as successful as the Gamecube but it ain't happening.

Those starters make me puke blood. Tentaquil confirmed.

EDIT: Oh, and the whole thing about simplifying the battle system, when they LITERALLY just enhanced it via Super Training, Pokemon-Amie, etc, this is bull.

That was Sony's plan with the Vita and also the PSP but neither system really took off that well and developers for the most part shyed away from designs that took advantage of the system's ability to link. I have the first gen PSP and I can control my PS3 with it over a wireless connection or even from somewhere else completely so long as my PSP knows the IP address of my home network and the PS3's addy.

Im My opinion the Wii U has a great idea with the game pad controller, I believe that gaming will eventually move to a combination of hand held devices and TV based devices. Nintendo may not have much developer support for the Wii U system but it is not because the system is not revolutionary, it is because the graphics power is not what Sony and MS have so to develop a game for the Wii U is not a simple task.

Games for the PS4 and X-1 can be written in the same language, and for the most part the development for both systems can happen at the same time, minus a couple of the things that make each system unique such as the botton icons and things with PSN and XBL. This speeds development for those 2 systems but with the Wii U being of a totally different architecutre, and different overall configurations the developers need to dedicate a team to create the same games with completely different core structures which will only cost more money with a much lower return in investment. This is why the Wii U is a failure, not because the hardware is no good. Similar thing happened to the GameCube.

Dom

Nintendo doesn't really need third parties anyway, their first party franchises are what drive console sales anyway. They always tend to design their consoles in ways that benefit their franchises at the expense of third parties.

Without the 3rd party games to help push sales of the Wii U Nintendo will have to drop the price of the system to around $200 before it picks up in the sales department. The GC didnt have a great start and if it were not for the issues Sony and MS were having getting memory chips back in the day the GC may have been a total failure. Personally I like the GC and I still play mine regularly. Once the lawsuit over the chip design was over and production of the PS2 and XB resumed full tilt the GC kinda got left behind. I remember when all of that was going on and memory for a PC (same type used in the PS2 and XB) was going to around $5 per meg. Also the prices were fluxuating more than the stock market was. The GC used an older memory technology and the chips they used were not part of the lawsuit so they had no supply or pricing issues. All and all the Wii U is a good system, plenty powerful enough and IMHO I care more about how fun a game is over how real the graphics look. Honestly I am trying to get away from reality and relax a little when I play games, why do I want them to look real... Where is my flying pirate ship, that has cannons that shoot bullets with eyes and arms!!

Dom

Dom

Nintendo doesn't really need third parties anyway, their first party franchises are what drive console sales anyway. They always tend to design their consoles in ways that benefit their franchises at the expense of third parties.

But apparently the whole "buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games" is not enough of a push for people anymore. Especially since for many Nintendo games, they aren't out, are TBD, or are re-hashes of what was previously released. And not rehashes of "Mario saves the Princess" type, but literal re-hashes such as Wind Waker.

It isn't just the lack of games. But if a console isn't going to have the standard power that its competitiors will, it better have some amazing games to go along with it. And right now, according to the market, the Wii U doesn't have that.

Without the 3rd party games to help push sales of the Wii U Nintendo will have to drop the price of the system to around $200 before it picks up in the sales department. The GC didnt have a great start and if it were not for the issues Sony and MS were having getting memory chips back in the day the GC may have been a total failure. Personally I like the GC and I still play mine regularly. Once the lawsuit over the chip design was over and production of the PS2 and XB resumed full tilt the GC kinda got left behind. I remember when all of that was going on and memory for a PC (same type used in the PS2 and XB) was going to around $5 per meg. Also the prices were fluxuating more than the stock market was. The GC used an older memory technology and the chips they used were not part of the lawsuit so they had no supply or pricing issues. All and all the Wii U is a good system, plenty powerful enough and IMHO I care more about how fun a game is over how real the graphics look. Honestly I am trying to get away from reality and relax a little when I play games, why do I want them to look real... Where is my flying pirate ship, that has cannons that shoot bullets with eyes and arms!!

Dom

I understand that, but to lots of people, the Wii U isn't worth buying or many are opting for the 3DS for their Nintendo fix.

But apparently the whole "buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games" is not enough of a push for people anymore. Especially since for many Nintendo games, they aren't out, are TBD, or are re-hashes of what was previously released. And not rehashes of "Mario saves the Princess" type, but literal re-hashes such as Wind Waker.

Bit of an nitpick, but there's only really one Nintendo "rehash" on the Wii U, that being Wind Waker. The rest, while they may follow a previously established formula, have been new games on their own.

Anyway, to stick my head out of the console discussion, I will admit that I do like the idea of a cross-console gen as it could lend to some unique experiences for the games. Having said that, I'm not fond of the simplified battle system idea as I feel that goes against what was done with this generation as well as the improvements the others have done throughout the years.

Last edited:
It will more than likely turn out to be fake, but they are interesting ideas. I like the storyline details the most.

Plus a new region (not necessarily a new generation) instead of a third version or sequels would somewhat fall in line with the Strange Souvenir from X/Y, and what the guy was saying when you spoke to him prior to him giving you the Strange Souvenir.

What seems the most fake to me is the console bit.

This is way too detailed for it to be a real leak. Game Freak has always been pretty good at not leaking information early.

Pokemon Band is a new mechanic introduced to get people involved who do not battle, a co-operative experience where Pokemon dance and make music together to achieve the highest group score.

However, I like the idea of a Pokemon dance/rhythm game. Someone get James Turner on the phone!

If this is real, I'm expecting a 2016 release.

Yes, it'd make Gen VI be as long as Japanese Gen V, but 3 years is a decent run, keeping in mind the low amount of new Pokemon limiting the Games, Anime and Manga.

Reason? To hell are GF gonna settle for another trip through Hoenn or Kalos for such a big anniversary like their 20th. Pokemon will no longer be the child it was during the awkward, but awesome puberty years of Gens V and VI.

Plusle and Minun confirmed as version exclusives :p

Just wait for the legends to have Plus/Minus =_=

I hope Sinnoh is remade Gen VII if this is true. I need the goat in Sinnoh, like now.

Reason? To hell are GF gonna settle for another trip through Hoenn or Kalos for such a big anniversary like their 20th. Pokemon will no longer be the child it was during the awkward, but awesome puberty years of Gens V and VI.

Aside from the fact we can more or less dismiss the whole thing as being about as legit as a female Tauros...

...how is Gen V and VI the puberty years? Wouldn't gen III and IV be more fitting? I mean, it couldn't go back to its old ways (couldn't be a child any more) but couldn't be the same as the other cool kids (resisted the movement to 3D other games were taking at the time). Gen V was more like it struggling with its identity; is it a child or an adult, it's not ready to grow up, and finally Gen VI made it bloom into young adulthood.

Aside from the fact we can more or less dismiss the whole thing as being about as legit as a female Tauros...

...how is Gen V and VI the puberty years? Wouldn't gen III and IV be more fitting? I mean, it couldn't go back to its old ways (couldn't be a child any more) but couldn't be the same as the other cool kids (resisted the movement to 3D other games were taking at the time). Gen V was more like it struggling with its identity; is it a child or an adult, it's not ready to grow up, and finally Gen VI made it bloom into young adulthood.

Except the fact Pokemon Diamond and Pearl was released for Pokemon's 10th year, but not exact date. So it was ten. Gen V was 13, and Gen VI is 16.

God I am taking this so literal XD

Many said that about Pokemon X and Y's rumours. Especially Fairy.

And we all now that was fake as hell =_=

Back
Top Bottom