• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread (V2)

Yes we do. Straight from Serebii:

During Nintendo's financial releases today, Nintendo relisted the newly announced Pokémon game for Nintendo Switch. In this listing, it gave a release date for the game, following on from Tsunekazu Ishihara's statement in the Nintendo Showcase at E3. It lists the game as coming out on Nintendo Switch in "2018 or later". No further details were given but none is expected until after Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon is released. We'll provide more as it comes
That translates to a pokemon RPG being released 2018 or later on Switch, it's not about USUM

I can see how one would get confused with this "the newly announced game" wording, since USUM are the newest announced titles, but it's about that E3 thing where they said a Pokemon RPG is in development for the Switch

Last edited:
Mmm,i got scared AHAHAH,but anyway,if this was true,this was going to be a dumb move :v

Also,gen 8 next year? Great!

Atleast i hope that we will see what happened to her :/

Yeah it would be foolish to release USUM for the Switch when originally they said it was 3DS family exclusively. Also a new generation in 2018 is way too soon IMO, but then again I have been a trainer since the begining so not only am I use to longer generations, but I also embrace. It seems that we are back to yearly releases. =/

Yeah it would be foolish to release USUM for the Switch when originally they said it was 3DS family exclusively. Also a new generation in 2018 is way too soon IMO, but then again I have been a trainer since the begining so not only am I use to longer generations, but I also embrace. It seems that we are back to yearly releases. =/
I doubt yearly releases will return. I think that if the Switch version is released in 2018, then 2019 will be a break. And if it's 2019 the release year, then 2018 will be a break.

I doubt yearly releases will return. I think that if the Switch version is released in 2018, then 2019 will be a break. And if it's 2019 the release year, then 2018 will be a break.
Well, technically, pokemon has largely always had yearly releases with some exceptions.. BW->bw2 being one of those, ORAS->SM another

EDIT: Well nevermind, it's been rather mixed

Japanese releases only:
RGB- 1996, Y- 1998, GS 1999, C 2000
RS- 2002, E and FRLG both 2004
DP 2006, Pt 2008, HGSS 2009
BW 2010,BW2 2012, XY 2013, ORAS 2014
SM 2016, USUM 2017

Last edited:
Where are you seeing this exactly? Only thing I can find on Serebii is info that the Pokémon Switch game is releasing in 2018 or later, but nothing about USUM being released on the Switch.
Plus TPCi already confirmed that it was clerical error, they had no intention of USUM being on Switch, just 3DS exclusive.
Everything indicates that they're aiming for 2018, but cannot guarantee it.
Tbh, I don't know what to expect for the next pokemon game, If they're aiming for 2018 for Switch, I don't think it's Gen VIII, because it'll be too soon. We got two choices for next year:
Kanto/Johto Sequels or Sinnoh Remake/Sequel/???
It's already confirmed a pokemon game for next year Nintendo Of America: Metroid Prime 4 And New Pokémon Are 2018 Games

I like that. Breaks are needed for the franchise so eveything can marinate and become what it's suppose to be. This has been my only disappointments, besides the lack of cross generational evolutions and excluding the eevee line, is that they are entirely rushing generations. I was finally loving XY and was excited for Z or whatever came next in Kalos, then we skipped and went straight to Alola. Zygarde was never originally intended to be sidelined unto the seventh generation IMO. I feel like Nintendo convinced them to produce faster games because of the poor sales of the WiiU, so the 3DS games and amiibos were definately the money makers until the Switch. I prefer four to five year long generations with the pair released first year, then a year break, remakes and/or sequels, another break, and then the final games of the generation. I believe GF will soon redefine the meaning of a pokemon generation.

TL;dR: I am terrified that GF will have yearly releases like COD, further reducing any true significant developments and quailty.

The exact wording is: "2018 and beyond". That doesn't confirmed a 2018 release. It reinforces the statement that they are aiming for a 2018 release, but it's not guaranteed like it was said above.

Well, technically, pokemon has largely always had yearly releases with some exceptions.. BW->bw2 being one of those, ORAS->SM another

Otherwise we have DP 2007, Pt 2008, HGSS 2009, BW 2010
BW2 2012, XY 2013, ORAS 2014
SM 2016,USUM 2017
Games are usually released in sets of three with the exception of Gen III which had RS in 2002, LGFR and E in 2004, and DP which released in 2006. So I am expecting 2018 for the Switch release and 2019 for a break.

The exact wording is: "2018 and beyond". That doesn't confirmed a 2018 release. It reinforces the statement that they are aiming for a 2018 release, but it's not guaranteed like it was said above.

Games are usually released in sets of three with the exception of Gen III which had RS in 2002, LGFR and E in 2004, and DP which released in 2006. So I am expecting 2018 for the Switch release and 2019 for a break.
Had to edit post again with all release dates in Japan and it seems that they really follow a mixed pattern(hardly a pattern). The only times they had no break before a new gen is released was BW and XY which were released 1 year apart from HGSS and BW2 respectively

At this point I don't think they even follow a pattern and just see what suits them better

Had to edit post again with all release dates in Japan and it seems that they really follow a mixed pattern(hardly a pattern). The only times they had no break before a new gen is released was BW and XY which were released 1 year apart from HGSS and BW2 respectively

At this point I don't think they even follow a pattern and just see what suits them better
True, it's unlikely for GF to follow the pattern of each game release and break year. TPCi and Nintendo are trying their best to aim a pokemon game for Switch in 2018, what game will it be? Highly unlikely it'll be Gen VIII, it could be Kanto/Johto Sequels or DP Remake/Sequel/??? Whatever game it is, at least TPCi will please the fans with a Pokemon Game on Switch.

Tbh, I don't know what to expect for the next pokemon game, If they're aiming for 2018 for Switch, I don't think it's Gen VIII, because it'll be too soon. We got two choices for next year:
Kanto/Johto Sequels or Sinnoh Remake/Sequel/???

It's most likely either Gen 8 or Kanto/Johto sequels.

Sinnoh games don't make much sense to be the first games. It'd make sense for Kanto/Johto sequels because of the older audience and bringing fans in from Go, but, personally, I can't see them breaking away from how they've handled working for a new handheld.

This has been my only disappointments, besides the lack of cross generational evolutions and excluding the eevee line, is that they are entirely rushing generations. I was finally loving XY and was excited for Z or whatever came next in Kalos, then we skipped and went straight to Alola. Zygarde was never originally intended to be sidelined unto the seventh generation IMO.

Or that was their plan all along? They hinted at Alola in X/Y, so I don't think it's too farfetched, especially since they knew 2016 would be the 20th anniversary. Zygarde would just be a repeat of Rayquaza. I don't really think they're "rushing" generations.

Though shouldn't we move this conversation to this thread? -> The Pokemon Switch Version

It's most likely either Gen 8 or Kanto/Johto sequels.

Sinnoh games don't make much sense to be the first games. It'd make sense for Kanto/Johto sequels because of the older audience and bringing fans in from Go, but, personally, I can't see them breaking away from how they've handled working for a new handheld.

Or that was their plan all along? They hinted at Alola in X/Y, so I don't think it's too farfetched, especially since they knew 2016 would be the 20th anniversary. Zygarde would just be a repeat of Rayquaza. I don't really think they're "rushing" generations.

Though shouldn't we move this conversation to this thread? -> The Pokemon Switch Version

Yeah, I seriously doubt that was their original plan. Could be wrong, but you're right because this is off topic.

I've got a couple of tweet from Joe Merrick that may regarding to USUM:

View: https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/890249581967159296

View: https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/890260118805385220

Why does VGC from EU happens on USUM launch event? What does it mean? Will it affect USUM?

EDIT: I've just got another tweet from Joe Merrick:

View: https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/890294178294489088

It is technically about the tournament and not about USUM.. seems they chose the worst timing in the universe to schedule the EU one. I don't think it means anything for USUM (some people immediately start saying the games will be delayed or the games are just cash grabs yada yada because of this)

Here are my predictions for USUM:

There will be 12 new Alola Forms, all of them from Johto (my personal hopes are the final evolutions of the starters and a Shuckle that has its offensive and defensive stats swapped).

The new Solgaleo and Lunala forms are those Pokémon being controlled by Necrozma, since Solgaleo and Lunala are basically light, which can't do anything to a prism, so Necrozma can easily take over.

The starters will have a different form as their final evolution (Like Lycanroc with the midday and midnight forms, since CoroCoro released that the starters and Rockruff will have something unique, but we still don't know what that is).

There will be new Z-Moves, like for the Pokémon revealed in the trailer (Mimikyu, Togedemaru, Lycanroc) and maybe one for Rotom (It could be called All-Appliance Atrocity, and would change type depending on the appliance that Rotom is in).

This next one isn't related to USUM, but it's a Pokémon prediction nonetheless:

The new mainstream Pokémon game will be released only on the Switch in 2018, then Gen 8 after that in 2019, then Sinnoh remakes in 2020.

That is all, hope this actually happens.

I honestly doubt that Gen 8 on switch is coming 2018. The reveal and treatment of the title is exactly like DP, just weirder. I always speculated DP was meant to be a GBA title in late 2005 but the DS' sudden success forced their hand and they probably were cocky enough to think that they can port the games over easily enough.
Here though it was always obvious that Gen 8 Switch was gonna happen, neved an if but a when. I can only assume GF was gonna take their time for the install base to expand somewhere beyond their acceptable baseline(I assume its somewhere between 25-30 million shipped consoles) and much like the rest of Nintendo had enough confidence that the 3DS can last em till 2018.
But yeah, switch demand is soaring, its ready to break 5 million by the start of its 5th month, and they probably want to start capitilizing on the idea of console pokemon early. Its a natural reaction, but I don't see them getting Pokemon out in 2018 if only because it would make sense to space out releases for bigger anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom