• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Do you like fakes/leaks season?

• I love it!

Votes: 227 52.2%
  • Yeah

Votes: 81 18.6%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 76 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters
Just to point out something, the letters for "Rockaby" don't have a shadow inside them compared to all the other English trailers.

EDIT: The "K" looks off compared to Mimikyu's.
Yeah, going off of what you said, the letters in the Rockaby screenshot seem to be much closer to each other than in the official trailers. ;-;

Just to point out something, the letters for "Rockaby" don't have a shadow inside them compared to all the other English trailers.

EDIT: The "K" looks off compared to Mimikyu's.
Wait I see what you mean about the shadow (nice catch by the way that definitely makes it seem fishy), but what about the k seems off?

Also the outline/borders around the letters looks more faint and less thick compared to the other Pokemon reveals.

could/should Vikavolt , Turtonator and some more pokes get the move Lock-On?

Any idea when the next trailer is going to be out?

On the latest leak, it looks... Really convincing? I was 100% convinced until someone pointed out that the text is off
The R compared to Rowlet's looks fairly off too! There's supposed to be more of a point at the top and the right... leg... thing should be curved slightly.
On the K vs Mimikyu's, I think the problem is that it's thicker and bigger than it should be? Going by Mimikyu's it should not be lower/higher than the 'c' and 'ab' but it goes under those, as well as going higher than the 'ab'
Overall a bit too big? I'm being sorta nitpicky but hey

Nah, the fact that official art looks just like the drawing the leaker put up of Rockaby makes me think it's fake because it's an exact match, yet when he posted it he said...

I just remember the body being very small and the big sad face with bulging markings, just to be clear.

Yet he drew it 1:1 with the "official art".

A bit of an analysis on the text in the image:

jkXQlFj.jpg

First, take a look at the A and B in both the Crabrawler and Rockaby pictures. Note how in the first, they're separate, but in the latter they're together. From the other titles, you can see that the letters are (almost) always separate, no matter how well they'd fit together.
Then, look again at the other titles. See how all the letters are lined up. Then observe how the K in the leaked image leaks under the line that drawn from the R to the AB. So either the K is off, or the AB are off. Either way, something's off.
But you know how the text spins as it appears? Look at the mid-spin Crabrawler title. You'll see that there the A and B are indeed conjoined. The two are not on the same line like they are in the leak pic, but pausing on Youtube could only give me so many frame options to choose from, and this was the best, so I may have missed some in-between. Also note how the letters do not line up during the spin. This could explain the problem with the K, but then begs the question of why the other letters seem so non-twisted and normal.

My verdict is: either the image is fake, or the picture is taken at a very, very, very specific frame of the spin animation.

In any case, even if this is fake, it doesn't necessarily disprove the art leak. It just means someone thought it was neat and jumped on the leak bandwagon. Though in that case, I need to give props to the artist here for working so well so fast. Lastly though, the fact that the image is otherwise so high-quality but there are mistakes in the text that are relatively easy to spot... I don't know who'd go through all that trouble to make even the smaller details believable, and then mess up at something even someone like me can spot. In the end, it can be the mistakes themselves that prove it to be real.

A bit of an analysis on the text in the image:

jkXQlFj.jpg

First, take a look at the A and B in both the Crabrawler and Rockaby pictures. Note how in the first, they're separate, but in the latter they're together. From the other titles, you can see that the letters are (almost) always separate, no matter how well they'd fit together.
Then, look again at the other titles. See how all the letters are lined up. Then observe how the K in the leaked image leaks under the line that drawn from the R to the AB. So either the K is off, or the AB are off. Either way, something's off.
But you know how the text spins as it appears? Look at the mid-spin Crabrawler title. You'll see that there the A and B are indeed conjoined. The two are not on the same line like they are in the leak pic, but pausing on Youtube could only give me so many frame options to choose from, and this was the best, so I may have missed some in-between. Also note how the letters do not line up during the spin. This could explain the problem with the K, but then begs the question of why the other letters seem so non-twisted and normal.

My verdict is: either the image is fake, or the picture is taken at a very, very, very specific frame of the spin animation.

In any case, even if this is fake, it doesn't necessarily disprove the art leak. It just means someone thought it was neat and jumped on the leak bandwagon. Though in that case, I need to give props to the artist here for working so well so fast. Lastly though, the fact that the image is otherwise so high-quality but there are mistakes in the text that are relatively easy to spot... I don't know who'd go through all that trouble to make even the smaller details believable, and then mess up at something even someone like me can spot. In the end, it can be the mistakes themselves that prove it to be real.
Yeah I don't think this at all disproves anything artleaka did yet.

Nah, the fact that official art looks just like the drawing the leaker put up of Rockaby makes me think it's fake because it's an exact match, yet when he posted it he said...

Yet he drew it 1:1 with the "official art".

Well, not really. Here's the original leak:
FmA4edt.png

And here's the image:
http://i.********/vp/1472285424829.jpg

The markings are pretty different, as is the mouth area.

Although you are right in the sense that the color palette seems just a bit too similar. Whenever I draw a Pokemon, even if it's one I've seen a hundred times before, I still need to look up some reference for the design and especially the color. It's somewhat suspicious that this guy would remember the colors right, but the markings wrong, especially since these markings are so simple. (Granted, the purple is a different shade, but the purple in the leak already seemed a bit too saturated to be on a rock Pokemon.)

I'm starting to doubt the image more by the minute, but I think the Pokemon in question actually existing is still somewhat likely.

h you are right in the sense that the color palette seems just a bit too similar. Whenever I draw a Pokemon, even if it's one I've seen a hundred times before, I still need to look up some reference for the design and especially the color. It's somewhat suspicious that this guy would remember the colors right, but the markings wrong, especially since these markings are so simple. (Granted, the purple is a different shade, but the purple in the leak already seemed a bit too saturated to be on a rock Pokemon.)
I actually think that because the leaker's drawing isn't exactly like the "official" artwork makes it more likely to be true, in my opinion. I know the markings are rather simple to remember, but It's hard to draw something exactly how you saw it in the past, so the leaker could have just forgotten them since they were just trying to get a general idea of what the pokemon looked like. Sorry, it's kind of hard what i'm trying to say lmao, but I just think the minor inaccuracies the drawing has compared to the "official" art gives it slightly more credibility. But I still feel like there is a good chance it is fake.

Last edited:
Oi, I'm really hoping Rockaby is fake - I really dislike it. Sounds like it's fake though (or at least the trailer image). Top of the line sleuthing, guys!

Also, is it plausible we'll get two unrelated pokemon this gen (rockruff, rockaby) whose first syllable is "rock"?

I actually think that because the leaker's drawing isn't exactly like the "official" artwork makes it more likely to be true, in my opinion. I know the markings are rather simple to remember, but It's hard to draw something exactly how you saw it in the past, so the leaker could have just forgotten them since they were just trying to get a general idea of what the pokemon looked like. Sorry, it's kind of hard what i'm trying to say lmao, but I just think the minor inaccuracies the drawing has compared to the "official" art gives it slightly more credibility.

You may have misunderstood my post just a bit: this was the point I was trying to make. The inaccuracies do make it more believable, and the fact that the colors are so accurate is what makes me doubt it. The fact that their markings are different but the overall feel is the same gives the impression that the art leaker really did look at this Pokemon for a moment, and then sketched later what he saw, or what he thought he saw. But getting the colors so right seemed a bit strange to me.

You may have misunderstood my post just a bit: this was the point I was trying to make. The inaccuracies do make it more believable, and the fact that the colors are so accurate is what makes me doubt it. The fact that their markings are different but the overall feel is the same gives the impression that the art leaker really did look at this Pokemon for a moment, and then sketched later what he saw, or what he thought he saw. But getting the colors so right seemed a bit strange to me.
Oohh, ok. Sorry for misunderstanding what you were trying to say ;-;

Wait... something's also missing from the Rockaby text. In other Sun Moon Pokemon names, the white part of the text have a slight blue gloss on them, and this is missing from the Rockaby text. The white part of the Rockaby text is pure white, as in flat white instead of being shaded.

Now I think the particular Rockaby picture is fake.
But wow, it took me so long to find. It's a really high quality fake.

I don't really know whether to judge Rockaby just yet. Last time I thought leaked trailer pics were fake was Alolan Raichu cause the picture it was in made his outline too thick, which made me disbelieve it. Boy was I wrong.

I don't really know whether to judge Rockaby just yet. Last time I thought leaked trailer pics were fake was Alolan Raichu cause the picture it was in made his outline too thick, which made me disbelieve it. Boy was I wrong.
Well, if Rockaby turns out to be real after all, *shrugs*. It is real then, lol.
But for now from the image captured, it looks fake. Your hunch may be right, but as I said in my previous posts, only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom