• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Do you like fakes/leaks season?

• I love it!

Votes: 227 52.2%
  • Yeah

Votes: 81 18.6%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 76 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters
@Zeb Honestly, I'm leaning for toweards "beware of leaks" being a happy coincidence on their part. The pun that is Fluffles the Bear is not exactly that complex and could easily be stumbled upon by someone who wasn't even trying.

Well no one in our contest guessed Beware/Bewear so can't be that easy ;)

(I'm only being half serious with this)

why retyping? maybe arcanine gets a fire/water mega and alakazams mega will become a psychic/fighting?

Uh, El? It seems more likely from that Litten's evo is gonna be Fire/Dark than Fire/Fighting. He fights dirty (spitting oil/embers in his opponent's face, slamming a folding chair on Pikachu), much like Tiger Mask (his design basis) and dirty fighting's what the Dark type is all about.

I realize that as I've commented on it before. My point then was that, technically Litten's evo might as well have been Fire/Fighting since that is exactly what the lore in that supposed evolution suggest. It fights dirty, sure, but it still fights in the vein of other typical fighting typed Pokemon. The dark typing doesn't really change the core purpose, just how that core purpose is done.

I honestly wouldn't mind a Pokemon line based upon Tiger mask (or Tekken's King) whatsoever; so long as said Pokemon wasn't a starter, but a normal wild Pokemon. I'm just very tired of Fire typed starters specifically being linked to fighting/martial arts/wrestling in some way, whether it be dirty dark typed fighting or not.

Well, to be fair, I think the leak wasn't saying that they would be permanently retyped in the way that Magnemite and the Fairy retcons were. Rather that they would introduce special new forms for them with different types. Which seems like a big stretch, but it's a little more believable, until you get things like Water-type Growlithe.

Is there anything within Growlithe's lore (Shisa Dog?) that suggest a water typing? Same for Fighting Abra if anyone has any ideas.

Even as just formes that you could possibly change on the islands, I'm just not seeing any believable reason for those typings, unless there is something within their basis that I'm not seeing.

Last edited:
I have a precognition:
the new grass type
Bounsweet pokemon look at its pants/diaper, could it become a grass/fighting Sumo fighter?
for a grass/fairy it kinda not fits.

I have a precognition:
the new grass type
Bounsweet pokemon look at its pants/diaper, could it become a grass/fighting Sumo fighter?
for a grass/fairy it kinda not fits.

That would be a really fun idea.

Though, I don't know about the Sumo fighter, but this Pokemon is definitely set up for some nice story for its evolution(s). It's literally the most unlucky lil thing.

Er, yeah, those leaked typings sound totally fake. Unless they're supposed to be the typings of those different forms mentioned earlier in the leak? That would make a lot more sense. Even though Ghost would fit Ninetales a lot more than Fairy. :/ (hello, a lot of Ghost type moves in its pool...)

Also, Bounsweet is based off of a mangosteen which has a white fleshy inside. That's why it has the white part on the bottom.

I dont know much of retyping old pokemon, with exception of our magnet pokemon from generation I to electric/steel, but if somebody would deserve retyping it would be Torkoal, fire/water comes in mind, it could create steam like Volcanion.
I dont know if they will be retyped or if they get mega evolutions with that typing.

Last edited:
I think the leak means only the Alola forms get retyped. Older forms don't.
While I don't think it's necessary, I think it would be kinda cool.

Water Arcanine though? We are shown a wild Arcanine in a trailer before, which looks nothing different from a regular Arcanine.
So that part of the leak is probably not true.

The Pokebip fansite interviewed Masuda, and one of the questions is about gyms. He basically said that they keep coming back to gyms since they're the "best way to motivate the player" and that fundamental element won't change until they can find a better idea.

This is pretty damning evidence against the Chinese leak, and I say that regrettably since the removal of gyms was the best part of the rumor in my opinion. I know that the rumor stipulates that the goal is to build a new league, but that seems too complicated if we take Masuda's words at face value.

Last edited:
I think the leak means only the Alola forms get retyped. Older forms don't.
While I don't think it's necessary, I think it would be kinda cool.

Water Arcanine though? We are shown a wild Arcanine in a trailer before, which looks nothing different from a regular Arcanine.
So that part of the leak is probably not true.

When it mentions Wormmadam, its quite clear that these proposed new Forms are optional split evolutions that change typing and appearance but not name or Pokedex Number.

So you'd have "Arcanine Classic Form" and "Arcanine Aqua Form". Basically something similar to if Slowking was called "Slowbro Crown Form". They'd obviously add new mechanics that allow you to select the form during the evolution process just like Burmy. I don't think it will happen, but I don't think it's a difficult concept to grasp.

The full quote in english

Have you ever thought of changing the frame of the main adventure, for example, remove the collection of badges and give another goal to the player?

JM: Actually, we ask every time the same question, we say: "If we continue on this frame, what is changing?". We made each time new testing possibilities, thinking that if we can find something that adds interest to the game, then in that case, yes, it's worth it to change the frame .

It turns out that always comes back to that frame because it is the best to motivate the player, so it remains on solid ground until we find a better idea.

We don't know what Island Trials are still, but if this is true, then we can expect to see 8 gyms in Sun and Moon. Its worth noting also that this was very recent.

Im sorta thinking Island Trials wont replace anything, but they might be an additional new challenge you have to do, perhaps before the E4.

I really dont see Game Freak straying too much from the core formula even though it would be really nice to see, they seem not to really want to.

The Pokebip fansite interviewed Masuda, and one of the questions is about gyms. He basically said that they keep coming back to gyms since they're the "best way to motivate the player" and that fundamental element won't change until they can find a better idea.

This is pretty damning evidence against the Chinese leak, and I say that regrettably since the removal of gyms was the best part of the rumor in my opinion. I know that the rumor stipulates that the goal is to build a new league, but that seems too complicated if we take Masuda's words at face value.
At the very least, they seem to be intent on finding something equally as interesting as gyms rather than replacing gyms with something lame and then regretting it later.

Or maybe he just said for the sake of saying it and they don't ever actually intend to drop the gym format.

At the very least, they seem to be intent on finding something equally as interesting as gyms rather than replacing gyms with something lame and then regretting it later.
I don't think it should take over 20 years to find that replacement. But maybe they want to make a gradual transition and the Island Trials are an experiment of some sort.

Honestly, I'm kind of glad that they're intent on keeping Gyms. I can understand why people might want something new and I wouldn't be against them trying something new, but it would also be incredibly risky for them to replace Gyms with something else at this point and it could feel too jarring to have a main series game without Gyms. The Island Trials could just be something new to make the Alola region more unique, which is fine and that kind of concept could be useful for other regions to make them stand out more. I think trying to add something new along side Gyms would probably be an easier process to go through than getting rid of them completely and expecting fans to go along with a new format.

I think that I would be less in favor of Gyms being replaced if they had bothered to retain the only bit of innovation that they had previously given Gyms/Gym Leaders, which was making them actual characters that get involved in the story (the individualized Gym themes from B2W2 were a really nice touch as well, so I would love to see those come back). But nope, neither XY nor ORAS kept on with that. They both retreated right back into the worn-out old formula.

I would hope that replacing the Gyms would force them to be a little more creative.

ORAS was a remake, they didn't change the gym leaders much for the remakes because they're remakes. So I don't think you can really use that against them. What I played of X on the other hand I'd have to agree, though. The gym leaders just feel there. They don't do much of anything.

I love gyms though. Just on the fact it creates a unique character who shows off typings. They really need to have the gym leaders do something in the world, though. Especially with villainous teams running around trying to take over the world. I've always pictured gym leaders as branches of the league and therefore should be someone people go to for help to solve issues with pokemon and the villains. They could easily make the leaders do something and on top of that add more to the game along with gyms.

Back
Top Bottom