• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Do you like fakes/leaks season?

• I love it!

Votes: 227 52.2%
  • Yeah

Votes: 81 18.6%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 76 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters
I'd honestly argue that Wartortle to Blastoise weren't that transitional. Granted, both are turtles, but nothing about Wartortle's design hinted at it getting cannons in the final evolution while Blastoise drops the fluffy ears and tail of the previous evolution(s). So starters dropping traits and gaining others rather suddenly has been an aspect of the starters since the beginning, it just wasn't as exaggerated as some other examples.

This. I may be a fan of generation one, but I'm really sick and tired of people always saying that Pokemon today look terrible and that gen 1 had better Pokemon designs that were simpler and "made more sense." I'll agree that many of the designs were generally a lot more simple than what we get now, but it's not like Gen 1 was devoid of any questionable or strange Pokemon. When people complain of Pokemon looking like objects rather than animals, they forget that Voltorb and Magnemite were a thing. They forget about huge evolution transitions like Wartortle to Blastoise. They forget that Jynx was a thing. It's incredibly annoying and a very poor argument.

Hey guys! I'm new here...

I was wondering about the leak that says about split evolutions for the starters is real. Since the e3 video of sun and moon shows a pikipek being caught, and it's dex number is 10. Shouldn't we then assume that the starters won't have another third evolution?

I was wondering about the leak that says about split evolutions for the starters is real. Since the e3 video of sun and moon shows a pikipek being caught, and it's dex number is 10. Shouldn't we then assume that the starters won't have another third evolution?

Counting all three evolutions of the starters, it would only go up to the dex number 9. There is definitely room for the starters to get third evolutions.

^^But wasn't Pikipek confirmed to be #10?

Exactly what I was thinking. There's no Pokedex slots for 3rd evolutions.

The one way to get around this is making the split evolutions different forms of the same species, contained within a single Pokedex slot (like the Alolan forms), which may happen. For example, say Litten3 has two different evolved forms. Same name/species, but could have different appearance or type. It's been done before, so it's possible.

The leak which claims they will have split evolutions also says that they still only have one Pokédex slot. Don't ask me how that works.

Don't ask me how that works.

Reading the 4chan post, I would assume both evolutions go under the same name but are a different version. Similar to, say, Rotom and its versions. Only this time, you can't change the version and you're stuck with your version depending on how you evolved it. That's the only way I see it occurring. Basically what @The_Doctor said.

The leak which claims they will have split evolutions also says that they still only have one Pokédex slot. Don't ask me how that works.

It's basically been done before. Different forms of the same species. Even if they have different types and designs, they could still occupy a single dex spot.

Alolan forms, Deoxys forms, Castform forms, Therian forms, Rotom forms, male and female differences, type changes... there's been all kinds of form differences, whether it be type, ability, stats, or appearance. And they've all occupied a single Pokedex slot. Nothing new.

So they'd have the same species name, but everything else could change (or very little).

EDIT: Greninja'd XD

It's basically been done before. Different forms of the same species. Even if they have different types and designs, they could still occupy a single dex spot.

Alolan forms, Deoxys forms, Castform forms, Therian forms, Rotom forms, male and female differences, type changes... there's been all kinds of form differences, whether it be type, ability, stats, or appearance. And they've all occupied a single Pokedex slot. Nothing new.

So they'd have the same species name, but everything else could change (or very little).

I had considered how forms work as a possibility, but the leak called them "evolutions," so I was thinking of those along the lines of actual, independent Pokémon.

But if I think of them as forms, I think that could work quite well. I did think it was a little odd to revive the concept of branch evolutions after not doing them for two whole generations, but forms are quite in-line with the kinds of things that we have going on now.

I am assuming that these forms would be fixed; that is to say, whether you evolve Litten2 at daytime or nighttime determines which form you get, but you cannot change it once it has evolved. Kind of like Wormadam. That would actually be pretty interesting.

I am assuming that these forms would be fixed; that is to say, whether you evolve Litten2 at daytime or nighttime determines which form you get, but you cannot change it once it has evolved. Kind of like Wormadam. That would actually be pretty interesting.
The time of evolution determines the form, so it should be fixed.

Wormadam is a better example than Rotom. Still, it's quite brave to make this move with the starter pokémon - you would have thought they would play it safe and go the tradition evolution chain with them. If this leak is correct, then it's another sign they want to try something different with Sun and Moon

Another thing to consider are the Pokedex screens that show the whole evolutionary line. There are only 3 slots for the starters.

6ecbaf1df90f8d7bd1d104abe263021267cb3eb78a36291aa5ac87060d19f4b7_1.jpg

So I guess if the starters do have dual evolutions only one would be displayed on the Pokedex at a time?

Another thing to consider are the Pokedex screens that show the whole evolutionary line. There are only 3 slots for the starters.

6ecbaf1df90f8d7bd1d104abe263021267cb3eb78a36291aa5ac87060d19f4b7_1.jpg

So I guess if the starters do have dual evolutions only one would be displayed on the Pokedex at a time?

More then likely it'd work the same way forms and Mega Evolutions do in the previous games. For instance, Kyurem has three forms, but only one is displayed at a time for both the model and icon, and to see the others you had to toggle between them.

It'd be a lot simpler to do that too since stuffing all of the forms onto one page would clutter the whole thing up too much.

Lots of forms have different typings and stats, so I think the evolutions will just work like those within the Pokedex.

I'm really interested to see how Rowlet's archer will be animated tbh. Thanks to Sky Battles they animated most (if not all?) fully evolved Flying types as flying, but of course if it needs to fire its bow that won't really work and it will need to land. Of course if Sky Battles aren't returning then they have no real need to have it in the air constantly.

edit: Actually the Alola forms are a good example. Most likely they will have the same dex number as their original selves, as they are still Ninetales, Sandslash etc but completely different designs, types and most likely stats and movepools too. No reason the starter evolutions can't work similarly.

This. I may be a fan of generation one, but I'm really sick and tired of people always saying that Pokemon today look terrible and that gen 1 had better Pokemon designs that were simpler and "made more sense." I'll agree that many of the designs were generally a lot more simple than what we get now, but it's not like Gen 1 was devoid of any questionable or strange Pokemon. When people complain of Pokemon looking like objects rather than animals, they forget that Voltorb and Magnemite were a thing. They forget about huge evolution transitions like Wartortle to Blastoise. They forget that Jynx was a thing. It's incredibly annoying and a very poor argument.

I'm not meaning any of this. It's easy for those of us who have been around since Generation 1, to think of the Pokemon from the originals as the basis and thus the ones that are most natural... However, that's not where I'm going here. Pokemon GO has really opened my eyes moreso than before as to how weird some of the Gen I Pokemon are, because they're forced on you constantly. Even still, I have so many top favorites from later generations, especially Generation V and VI which I really enjoyed more than anything post Gen II.

But although Blastoise's cannons were added in its last form, it doesn't feel overdesigned, and doesn't take on this full humanoid design that is completely inappropriate and feels like something from a cheesy 80s humanoid animal action cartoon.

If I still have some bias I absolutely don't mean it. I like to think I don't as Generation I is my second to last least favorite generation since almost everything has bettered it since. I will readily admit Pokemon like Magmar, Pinsir, etc. have this kind of design, and I don't much care for them either. Trust me I'm just as annoyed with genwunners are you are... But evolutions like Litten's alleged final evolution are a no to me. I want something less cheesy.

I just wanted a tiger litten on all fours not some wrestler tiger that's why I'm disappointed overall the design while eh you can see where it comes from its based on I'm just tired of the recent fire starters I loved all 4 of the fire starters until emboar. It was a cute little pig and it became an that thing... yeah. Then fenniken a cute fire fox how can they make a fox go bi... gamefreak come up atleast its not fire fighting then wr have a cute kitten cats generally always on all fours it should evolve into a tiger or lion or bobcat or a cat in general not a wrestler but no it did.

This is full of my own opinions emboar and delphox are fine pokemon and I've grown to think they're ok it helps that in both generations I never wanted to pick them in the first place (though quilidin was like an arrow to the knee atleast chesnaught was awesome) it hurts because I wanted to pick litten and it's design disappointed me which is why we should stop wanting to pick one before we know the evolution

I'll probably still use litten dont know if I'll evolve him though

Last edited:
Lots of forms have different typings and stats, so I think the evolutions will just work like those within the Pokedex.

I'm really interested to see how Rowlet's archer will be animated tbh. Thanks to Sky Battles they animated most (if not all?) fully evolved Flying types as flying, but of course if it needs to fire its bow that won't really work and it will need to land. Of course if Sky Battles aren't returning then they have no real need to have it in the air constantly.

edit: Actually the Alola forms are a good example. Most likely they will have the same dex number as their original selves, as they are still Ninetales, Sandslash etc but completely different designs, types and most likely stats and movepools too. No reason the starter evolutions can't work similarly.
Yeah, iirc all the leaks that mention the starter evos mention the same Dex Number. Personally, I like the idea of the starters working like Rockruff, with a different evo for each island.

I think the reason why Gen 1 pokemon were so simple looking is because they just lacked the technology before so there is limits when making sprites, now with the new technology and 3D pokemon they can now put details and make designs that they really wanted. Maybe that's why the new pokemon seemed "overdesigned" but i don't think thats a bad thing because i prefer a pokemon with details rather than a bland one to be honest <3

I don't think there's anything over designed about pokemon nowadays... to be honest, I think it's just the art direction changing naturally over the years. The first pokemon seem 'simple' because they were the first pokemon to be created. There was nothing for the creators to compare it to. Like how a new artist starts with less technique and later grows to add more and more detail to their work over time. At least that's how I look at it.

Back
Top Bottom