• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Do you like fakes/leaks season?

• I love it!

Votes: 227 52.2%
  • Yeah

Votes: 81 18.6%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 76 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters
I'm going through a bunch of official anime concept art for pokémon as we speak and the more I see the weirder they seem.
With the exception of Lugia, suicune(both movie sheets) & mankey for some weird reason, all the ones that have trainers drawn alonside the pokémon follow the same pattern:
They are VERY simple silhouettes of ash (all the "ash" in them are just his pointy hair, a small amount detail clothing a bit) or a random trainer, in a standing up, static pose to make a height comparison.
Furthermore, these only happen on gens 1 and 2 pokémon, as far as I can see, gen 3 foward there's no human in sight, the only exception in all the list being woobat with a simple quick jessie bust.
Of course, not all pokémon are in this list and this could simply be one of the exceptions, but still is quite interesting to analyze.

And most probably I'm just overthinking it- but what do you guys think?

Ps. Oh yeah, I forgot- I'm not counting the height comparison chart from BW which leaked Servine. That one is not a pokémon focused concept art, it's, well... a height chart.
I heard somebody once said in the design industry in terms of animation or gaming, if you want to show off concept sheets to the public like putting it in an art book or something, they purposefully clean it up or organize it. Since it seems like these are anime concepts that weren't supposed to be leaked to the public it would makes sense why it's so messy looking compared to other concepts we've seen. Then again it depends on how much the pokemon has going on with their designs with how much you draw on the concepts.

I'm going through a bunch of official anime concept art for pokémon as we speak and the more I see the weirder they seem.
With the exception of Lugia, suicune(both movie sheets) & mankey for some weird reason, all the ones that have trainers drawn alonside the pokémon follow the same pattern:
They are VERY simple silhouettes of ash (all the "ash" in them are just his pointy hair, a small amount detail clothing a bit) or a random trainer, in a standing up, static pose to make a height comparison.
Furthermore, these only happen on gens 1 and 2 pokémon, as far as I can see, gen 3 foward there's no human in sight, the only exception in all the list being woobat with a simple quick jessie bust.
Of course, not all pokémon are in this list and this could simply be one of the exceptions, but still is quite interesting to analyze.

I think you, as well as everyone else, should keep analyzing this leaked concept art. I'm rather surprised that I haven't seen translations of the text written down, and that few really have compared it to other concept arts they have done.

Either way, I think that if I heard right, the following things about the art can be applied:

-The one who leaked it was completely separate from the Chinese leaks that confirmed the text descriptions of other new Pokemon. The Chinese one only referenced the image as a possible design of their text leak of the starters being a Archer/Wrestler/Siren trio, but didn't leak the design imagery itself.

-There was no date printed on this image, so we can't be sure about what concept stage they were made.

I'm also wondering about how this image got leaked out in the open, and whether or not it was photoshopped. Finding out more about this leak will help us figure out whether or not these are actually their finalized artwork. I'm tired of people crying MALLOW as proof that these are the finalized forms.

I think you, as well as everyone else, should keep analyzing this leaked concept art. I'm rather surprised that I haven't seen translations of the text written down, and that few really have compared it to other concept arts they have done.

Either way, I think that if I heard right, the following things about the art can be applied:

-The one who leaked it was completely separate from the Chinese leaks that confirmed the text descriptions of other new Pokemon. The Chinese one only referenced the image as a possible design of their text leak of the starters being a Archer/Wrestler/Siren trio, but didn't leak the design imagery itself.

-There was no date printed on this image, so we can't be sure about what concept stage they were made.

I'm also wondering about how this image got leaked out in the open, and whether or not it was photoshopped. Finding out more about this leak will help us figure out whether or not these are actually their finalized artwork. I'm tired of people crying MALLOW as proof that these are the finalized forms.

that IS true, I haven't seen the translation on the little handwritting around the sheets other than the names+3 anywhere.
Also, despite being important designs, none of them have cut-outs or "this shape goes this way, not this way" or "this is the pattern", which they have been doing since gen 5. they do have see-throughs, but any artist with a minimum knowlege on animation character refs knows of their importance.
I wouldn't discard the possibility of being reject designs that one of the artists on GF liked a lot, drew and leaked to the public.

Well since these seem to be anime reference sheets, I suppose they are the finalized designs. If you want translations here you go.

Owl3
1. Has a calm\cool persona
2. Tightens its hood when its upset or irritated
3. Uses its quills as arrows and vines as the string.
4. Its difficult to notice which helps it ambush foes
5, Much like Ash's Sceptile it likes to chill on Tree branches.
Tiger3.
1. Has a wild and gusty persona
2. Fights dirty- spits ember in its opponents face, isn't above using unconventional items or means, uses Fire Spin from its belt.
4. Has a signature move called Beast\Tiger Swing
5. That Belt gets hotter the more "passionate" it is
Sea lion3
1. Uses its voice to charm and or lure opponents
2. Has a elegant and welcoming nature
3. Is very playful

that IS true, I haven't seen the translation on the little handwritting around the sheets other than the names+3 anywhere.

There are translations in the OP of this very thread.

Ps. Oh yeah, I forgot- I'm not counting the height comparison chart from BW which leaked Servine. That one is not a pokémon focused concept art, it's, well... a height chart.

This is interesting, thanks for looking through all of that concept art!!

I guess the issue I have with it is that there's no reason why they couldn't have gotten a new artist or changed the way they do the character sheets slightly. I've basically just accepted that those are the evolutions though; if it turns out that it's a fake I'll honestly probably just be excited to be surprised by new designs rather than being heartbroken over these ones, even though I have grown to like all of them.

There are translations in the OP of this very thread.
Well, now @Knightwolf09 posted them here xD
thanks anyway

Well since these seem to be anime reference sheets, I suppose they are the finalized designs. If you want translations here you go.

Owl3
1. Has a calm\cool persona
2. Tightens its hood when its upset or irritated
3. Uses its quills as arrows and vines as the string.
4. Its difficult to notice which helps it ambush foes
5, Much like Ash's Sceptile it likes to chill on Tree branches.
Tiger3.
1. Has a wild and gusty persona
2. Fights dirty- spits ember in its opponents face, isn't above using unconventional items or means, uses Fire Spin from its belt.
4. Has a signature move called Beast\Tiger Swing
5. That Belt gets hotter the more "passionate" it is
Sea lion3
1. Uses its voice to charm and or lure opponents
2. Has a elegant and welcoming nature
3. Is very playful

Why would they make a direct reference to a starter from 4 generations and I-won't-bother-counting-how-many-anime-seasons ago? The animation team most probably isn't the same as then, and I know some animation teams go back to search for references but it seems like an oddly specific detail. They could have simply said "It likes to chill on tree branches" and would have the same effect.

Yes, my picky mode is activated.

Why would they make a direct reference to a starter from 4 generations and I-won't-bother-counting-how-many-anime-seasons ago? The animation team most probably isn't the same as then, and I know some animation teams go back to search for references but it seems like an oddly specific detail. They could have simply said "It likes to chill on tree branches" and would have the same effect.

I'm not 100% certain but I recall it being said that the specific mention of Ash's Sceptile wasn't actually from the translation itself, but was rather just the translator making an additional comment.

Wait, what? How did he deconfirm it?

Allegedly Artleaka went on 4chan/a "friend of artleaka" and said that he mocked up the art first and then made descriptions around them.

Grain of salt etc. I just find this more likely as for the past couple of generations all of the correct leaks have been hard info with photo's (bar gen6's first espurr leak but most of its info was also fairly vague), and i'm also very much doubtful of most leaks.

Allegedly Artleaka went on 4chan/a "friend of artleaka" and said that he mocked up the art first and then made descriptions around them.

Grain of salt etc. I just find this more likely as for the past couple of generations all of the correct leaks have been hard info with photo's (bar gen6's first espurr leak but most of its info was also fairly vague), and i'm also very much doubtful of most leaks.
And you believed this guy? Why would his friend bust him like that? It could just be a guy trying to knock him down. I know some people don't like him already.

Well, now @Knightwolf09 posted them here xD
thanks anyway

Yes, my picky mode is activated.

It's just additional dialogue added from the translator. I think it just says "relaxes on tree branches."

Praise God, Rockaby is the most ugly Fakemon I've ever seen.

Once again, why should we believe him? He's just as fishy as Artaleaka, and could just be some guy indirectly messing with him.

Because that last part was thrown in as a causality as I don't remember the exact details and i'm covering the bases that way.

I'm not 100% certain but I recall it being said that the specific mention of Ash's Sceptile wasn't actually from the translation itself, but was rather just the translator making an additional comment.
It's just additional dialogue added from the translator. I think it just says "relaxes on tree branches."

Ooooh. Well, that's misleading- thanks guys

Because that last part was thrown in as a causality as I don't remember the exact details and i'm covering the bases that way.
I'm just saying. He's pretty much pulling a "I know someone at gamefreak" excuse except on a leaker (which is rather sad). Plus if he knew he put those pictues up and made descriptions, he was obviously okay with him putting them up, so there's no reason for him to tattle on him, especially if he's going to be proven false anyway next week. It's just a dude messing with people.

They were leaked a month before her official reveal plus an insider grabbing a copy of the art sheet isn't out of the question since companies tend to have one.

I believe the only scenarios in which the starter evo leaks could be wrong or fake are: 1) These are beta designs and have since been changed partially or entirely 2) the person who made them saw mallow somehow, and put her in the force fans to believe their leak or 3) gamefreak put these out as a red herring so people would believe them, and thus any accidentally leaked art of the 'real' evos would be taken as fake.

All seem pretty unlikely to me and I'm certain these are the starters finals we are getting.

I believe the only scenarios in which the starter evo leaks could be wrong or fake are: 1) These are beta designs and have since been changed partially or entirely 2) the person who made them saw mallow somehow, and put her in the force fans to believe their leak or 3) gamefreak put these out as a red herring so people would believe them, and thus any accidentally leaked art of the 'real' evos would be taken as fake.

All seem pretty unlikely to me and I'm certain these are the starters finals we are getting.

The 1st one is the point I've been trying make: They could just be beta designs and not the finalized artwork. Mallow appearing in the artwork does not prove that they are the finalized versions, as they could have designed her in conjunction with the starters.

Also, thank you all for pointing me to the translations - Those are good to know about.

Back
Top Bottom