• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Do you like fakes/leaks season?

• I love it!

Votes: 227 52.2%
  • Yeah

Votes: 81 18.6%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 76 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters
Mine, all for the Switch:
2017 - Stars
2018 - Break year
2019 - Gen 8
2020 - Primal Diamond + Supreme Pearl (Not actual names)
2021 - Kanto sequels for the 25th anniversary

I a little skeptical (and biased, since the Switch would be likely pricy at launch) of the Stars being on Switch thing. With that said I see the appeal and the possibility. With that said, I have to disagree that Stars on the switch is non-viable simply because its basically the same game. In fact I;d say that would actually be a good reason to place it there because it might get people who only have consoles or never owned a handheld into the core games.

In addition, Sun and Moon had proven that GF is going on an iconoclastic streak. Various precedents and traditions were eschewed such as Gyms and HMs that for all we know they might continue by changing platforms for the middle of the generation.

The last strong reason, Bank can also be circumvented by allowing people to import their NNIDs or Bank accounts (lol) to the Switch.

Overall this means that it could go either way whether or not 7 would stay on the 3DS. With this in mind, my predictions

1. 2017: Stars, D/P remakes And/Or break year (they also had a precedent albeit a short one of remakes and enhanced editions being mutually exclusive, but as I said this might also be broken. Its also possible that development for the switch should they move there would take longer even with per-existing assets or that they would want fans to enjoy SuMo for a bit longer, serving as a possible last hurrah for the 3DS)
  2. 2018: D/P remakes or break year (see above)
  3. 2019: Gen 8 (regardless of 7's status moving to switch is an inevitability. and they never let there be more than 1 generation on outdated hardware before moving on)
  4. 2020: more Gen 8

Last edited:
Because cutting a gen in half between handheld isn't a good strategy and testing a new gen on the Switch is much more sufficient as it gives you a whole new experience.
That's still not how test games work
Also YOU feel that cutting a gen in half isn't a good strategy. Nintendo and Gamefreak have another strategy in mind.
When the Switch launches they won't be trying to sell 3DSes and Wii Us. That install base growth has already slowed way down. Now it's onto the next product and to get people to move you don't give them reason to stay on the current old hardware by still releasing games on it. Trust me they say they'll support it until 2018 but believe me once Switch gets off the ground 3DS is done.

Also, Crystal WAS released exclusively for the GBC with Gold/Silver being playable on the vanilla Game Boy.
Yeah and they can always release Gen 1, 2 and 3 digitally. With some reworking they can even release Gen 4, 5 and 6.

Elaborate on this. It would get that system some more sales closer to launch.

Why would the developers want to have to create new models and scenery while practicing with the new hardware? Using an expanded port for experiments lets them test the waters without having to start from total scratch. How is this not more convenient for the developers?

You also did not answer my question. If a new game is better for testing waters, then why would TWW HD be specifically stated in its announcement direct a few years ago to be a tool to help the Zelda devs test out the Wii U (in addition to being a stop-gap, that is)? And why would Pokémon be different in this regard?
No it wouldn't. It screws gen 7 up by separation between two handheld. Switch could end up falling in sales.

That's still not how test games work
Also YOU feel that cutting a gen in half isn't a good strategy. Nintendo and Gamefreak have another strategy in mind.
When the Switch launches they won't be trying to sell 3DSes and Wii Us. That install base growth has already slowed way down. Now it's onto the next product and to get people to move you don't give them reason to stay on the current old hardware by still releasing games on it. Trust me they say they'll support it until 2018 but believe me once Switch gets off the ground 3DS is done.
The only way I see Stars on Switch is if it is advanced far more than Sun and Moon. It has to be bigger with more content, post game and so on. It has to be more than just the standard third version game otherwise it is has no place on the Switch if it is the standard third version. But I prefer all of gen 7 on one handheld.

The only way I see Stars on Switch is if it is advanced far more than Sun and Moon. It has to be bigger with more content, post game and so on. It has to be more than just the standard third version game otherwise it is has no place on the Switch if it is the standard third version. But I prefer all of gen 7 on one handheld.

As I have stated several times, there is no reason to assume that Nintendo Stars ISN'T just that. I doubt Gamefreak is going to bring back third versions just to make them the same as other third versions. This will likely be the biggest third version we'll ever have had so far, if the rumours are real. Plus, having Stars on 3DS will not offer many new features at all. They have already had to remove features and SM already reached the limits of the 3DS (and before you argue, this is confirmed so denying it again will not do you any favours). There is not much of a point in creating Pokémon Stars if it is for 3DS and not Switch.

Third versions typically add new content. Crystal got a new sidequest, Emerald got the Battle Frontier and an improved rematch system, and Platinum got a full Pokedex expansion as well as a new story involving the Distortion World, as well as the Battle Frontier. I'm just scraping the barrel as to what third versions have added. They are never straight ports of old games.

No it wouldn't. It screws gen 7 up by separation between two handheld. Switch could end up falling in sales.
How does more games = less sales?

Who said it wasn't bigger than a normal 3rd version?

As I have stated several times, there is no reason to assume that Nintendo Stars ISN'T just that. I doubt Gamefreak is going to bring back third versions just to make them the same as other third versions. This will likely be the biggest third version we'll ever have had so far, if the rumours are real. Plus, having Stars on 3DS will not offer many new features at all. They have already had to remove features and SM already reached the limits of the 3DS (and before you argue, this is confirmed so denying it again will not do you any favours). There is not much of a point in creating Pokémon Stars if it is for 3DS and not Switch.
Nope. 3DS has not reach it's limits so don't deny this. I am never in denial. Either make Stars better or keep it as 3DS game.

Who said it wasn't bigger than a normal 3rd version?
Because splitting a gen up when some want gen 7 to be their last gen would be disastrous in my opinion.

Well, he thinks that Stars will have low sales because it would alienate 3DS players, forcing them to shell $300 for a new console on top of the new game. They would have to do that anyway sometime in the future. Also, there would be major compatibility issues between Stars and SM.

Because splitting a gen up when some want gen 7 to be their last gen would be disastrous in my opinion.
But how does that affect the Switch's sales negatively? The thing you said would have sales fall was the Switch, not Stars. Are you saying people just won't be buying the console out of spite for this if they would have gotten it if there wasn't Stars on it?

Well, he thinks that Stars will have low sales because it would alienate 3DS players, forcing them to shell $300 for a new console on top of the new game. They would have to do that anyway sometime in the future. Also, there would be major compatibility issues between Stars and SM.
The quote was this:
Switch could end up falling in sales.
He was talking about the Switch's sales, not Star's.

That implies that putting Stars on Switch would somehow cause a net loss in potential Switch buyers, which makes no sense at all.

Oh. I thought he was talking about Stars. Stars, if it exists, will be more of a benefit for the Switch than a dentriment. If Stars exists, I want it on the Switch.

But how does that affect the Switch's sales negatively? The thing you said would have sales fall was the Switch, not Stars. Are you saying people just won't be buying the console out of spite for this if they would have gotten it if there wasn't Stars on it?

The quote was this:

He was talking about the Switch's sales, not Star's.

That implies that putting Stars on Switch would somehow cause a net loss in potential Switch buyers, which makes no sense at all.
It does because some might not buy any more games after gen 7. You cut gen 7 in half and those players would lose the chance to finish the whole gen 7. Not everyone would want to buy the Switch.

Why do these topics always need to be flooded by arguments that just go around in circles over what console the next games should be on. Has anyone seen any interesting new rumors we could talk about here? We saw that interview with Junichi Masuda yesterday.
I did. I think that it is against Stars.

Nope. 3DS has not reach it's limits so don't deny this. I am never in denial. Either make Stars better or keep it as 3DS game.

For the last time, it is already confirmed information. All you are doing is repeating my exact arguments against me. I tell you that this is confirmed and you are in denial, and all you do is spin it around and claim I am in denial. For the sake of your own credibility I suggest you stop what you're doing, or at least attempt a better argument.

Back
Top Bottom