• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Running Out of Type Combinations- What Will They Do?

Bolt Strike

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
So now that the SV spoiler policy is no longer in effect I can talk about this.

SV came and brought with it a lot of Pokemon with new type combinations. In fact, now there are only 9 left:

Normal/Rock
Normal/Bug
Normal/Ice
Normal/Steel
Fire/Fairy
Rock/Ghost
Ground/Fairy
Bug/Dragon
Poison/Ice

And with new Pokemon being introduced constantly, now even mid-gen, it doesn't seem like it'll take very long for these combos to see the light of day. Maybe even by next gen.

However that brings a potential problem with it. Having a Pokemon with a new type combo is good marketing. It draws attention to the Pokemon when it's something that's never been done before. But if they run out of type combos to introduce, that's going to reduce interest in new Pokemon. So how will they make up for this? Will they introduce a new type? Come up with some new type gimmick (I know we just got Terastal, but those are only single type and don't really do anything new, just let you change to whatever type you want)? Or will they just do nothing and keep churning out Pokemon without worrying about this?

I feel like this won't end up being that big of an issue in future generations. A lot of the popular Pokemon from this generation don't have unique type combos at all, so I doubt it'd be a big determining factor for marketability or popularity. I'd say actual design concepts + gameplay and memeability are the main contributors to that.

Tbh I feel like GameFreak just slapping Normal type on a bunch of new Pokemon for the sale of "ooh new type combos" would be more controversial than the fact that there are no more new combos to have.

I'd still like to see more moves that don't obey the conventional type chart, like Freeze-Dry or Flying Press. More abilities like Purifying Salt would also be neat since they would add resistances exclusive to specific Pokemon, independently of their actual type. Maybe these can make up for the lack of actual new type combinations?

It's inevitable that every possible typing combination will exist. In fact, I believe we'll also see repeats of rarer type combinations.
We've already seen that in these games, with the returns of Poison/Ground, Grass/Ground, Dragon/Fighting, Rock/Electric, Bug/Psychic, Poison/Fire, Fighting/Flying, and more.

Then they would probably make mons with typings done only few times previously, and give the new guys different stat distributions or battle roles from the old mons of that typing.

I can also imagine say, type combinations exclusive to legendaries or regional variants used in original mons too.

I can also imagine say, type combinations exclusive to legendaries or regional variants used in original mons too.
This already happened before as Palkia shares both of its typing with Kingdra, Reshiram shares both of its typing with Turtonator, and many more examples of legendaries sharing their exact typings with non-legendaries as more Pokemon get introduced. So I can say it's definite that more types previously exclusive to legendaries will be used on non-legendary Pokemon.

Last edited:
This already happened before as Palkia shares both of its typing with Kingdra, Reshiram shares both of its typing with Turtonator, and many more examples of legendaries sharing their exact typings with non-legendaries as more Pokemon get introduced. So I can say it's definite that more types previously exclusive to legendaries will be used on non-legendary Pokemon.
And it happened in Gen 9 with Dragon/Ice (which was formerly exclusive to Kindgra, but Baxcalibur got it) and Rock/Poison (which was previously exclusive to Nihilego, but Glimmora got it).

One would think that they would slow down on debuting the remaining combinations, but nope, it actually feels like they're speeding up, so I give it two generations at the maximum. Afterwards they'll just use unusual combinations, there are actually a lot whose only Pokemon or family resides in Gen 4 or earlier. Or they can always create the deserved Cosmic-type (please don't reply to this, you can't convince me it's not a good idea).

This really doesn't change much. There is not a thing that says they can't repeat a combo, and, personally? I'd prefer another Pokémon of the good Fire/Fighting combo than the hypothetical trash that is Normal/Steel. Sometimes the hype around new type combos comes off as grossly misplaced.

This really doesn't change much. There is not a thing that says they can't repeat a combo, and, personally? I'd prefer another Pokémon of the good Fire/Fighting combo than the hypothetical trash that is Normal/Steel. Sometimes the hype around new type combos comes off as grossly misplaced.
I agree but also couldn't prevent myself from thinking that Normal/Steel is actually a very good typing to have, in my opinion. Ghost immunity is always nice to have, that would be like a natural enemy to Mimikyu because while it is not so strong it can get sneaky. And in story mode gameplay where there is always a lot Flying types and so on part Steel comes in handy lots more. Maybe I am biased though because my own Fire/Fighting types were always so weak for some reason. I understand that it's not what you meant but the combo is good imo haha

Considering we have gotten Grass/Ghost in 3 generations since its introduction as a type in gen 6... i doubt them running out of type combinations is an issue.

Like... the type combinations we have most off, are either combined with Normal, Flying, Poison, Grass or Ghost.

We have 8 Grass/Ghost types (4 of which are introduced in Gen 6 and 2 in both gen 7 and gen 9).

We have 14 Grass/Poison types (9 of which were introduced in Gen 1)

We have 27 Normal/Flying types

Like whats noticeable in gen 9... is that type combo's that were previously very rare... have been revisited and now we have gotten multiple off.

Take for example Water/Fighting, which has been Poliwrath exclusive before 2 more Pokemon got the type in Paldea
The last Grass/Dark type we got before Zarude... was introduced in gen 3... as such also a rare typing...but in Paldea 3 more got them (Which makes the typing less rare).
Grass/Ground was Torterra exclusive... but then 3 more Pokemon got it in Paldea.

Other types that are still rare are Electric/Grass (While we have gotten 3, technically we have one cuz 2 are Hisui forms which don't exist in modern day), but we also only have 4 Grass/Psychic types... 1 of which is a legendary and one of which is a legendary. But we've also only gotten Grass/Ice once...

So there are a lot of type combinations that are rare and could use more mons off, while other types we can get less combinations off.

This is definitely a non-issue, if every type combo is used it won't stop them from being able to reuse existing ones. When they run out of type combos to use they can as other people have stated, reuse lesser used type combos, or type combos that have only been seen in megas, alt forms, and legendaries. And if they really need new type combos, they could always eventually turn to making new types down the road (not that that's needed either TBH, there are a couple types I could maybe see working, like a 'Digital/Cyber' type, but they've already covered basically everything with the existing system.)

All they need to do to keep people interesting in new Pokémon is keep making unique ideas and well executed design concepts.

Considering we have gotten Grass/Ghost in 3 generations since its introduction as a type in gen 6... i doubt them running out of type combinations is an issue.

Like... the type combinations we have most off, are either combined with Normal, Flying, Poison, Grass or Ghost.

We have 8 Grass/Ghost types (4 of which are introduced in Gen 6 and 2 in both gen 7 and gen 9).

We have 14 Grass/Poison types (9 of which were introduced in Gen 1)

We have 27 Normal/Flying types

Like whats noticeable in gen 9... is that type combo's that were previously very rare... have been revisited and now we have gotten multiple off.

Take for example Water/Fighting, which has been Poliwrath exclusive before 2 more Pokemon got the type in Paldea
The last Grass/Dark type we got before Zarude... was introduced in gen 3... as such also a rare typing...but in Paldea 3 more got them (Which makes the typing less rare).
Grass/Ground was Torterra exclusive... but then 3 more Pokemon got it in Paldea.

Other types that are still rare are Electric/Grass (While we have gotten 3, technically we have one cuz 2 are Hisui forms which don't exist in modern day), but we also only have 4 Grass/Psychic types... 1 of which is a legendary and one of which is a legendary. But we've also only gotten Grass/Ice once...

So there are a lot of type combinations that are rare and could use more mons off, while other types we can get less combinations off.
Water/Fighting stopped being Poliwrath exclusive in Gen 5 when Keldeo got it, and then Rapid Strike Urshifu got it in Gen 8.

Dexit almost kind of fixes it. Yeah we have a grass dragon type (alolan executor and Mega sceptile) but neither are in Swsh (base sceptile is and I think executor is through transfer) so here's Applin. And also all 3 share this type but are each very different concept and stat wise, same will be true of all reused type combos.

They probably won't do anything. Maybe there'll be a tiny celebration about it, or something. But, I cannot see us getting any new types in the future, so eventually every single type combination will be used up. Which, I'm kind of hoping happens this generation, honestly. I know we'll be getting new Pokemon and other main series games down the road before Gen X comes out. It would be nice if at least a few more get used this generation in particular.

But, yeah, I don't know, they probably will not do anything after we've run out.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom