• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Russia and Georgia (the country) at war

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few European nations muttered about it a bit, but you're right the Americans stayed mute on the subject. On the point of powerful nations doing what they want, it's been true through history. Especially America when it comes to organising coups in foreign nations (South America and the Middle East) and interfering in their business. The amount of governments that were overthrown with American support is staggering and it includes a number of democratically elected ones too.

The Soviets were just as active interfering in other countries. And if that didn't work, they sent in troops. That worked in Hungary and Czechoslovakia. Didn't work too well in Afghanistan.

I am not sure they were just as active, but they were doing pretty much the same things.

It is interesting, Gadfly, you comes with Czechoslovakia here, because today, it is exactly 40 years since that "friendly help" from Soviets. Some Czech politics and media take 1968's Soviet invasion to Czechoslovakia as parralel to what's going on in Georgia now. I don't think this is 100% valid, but somehow, as Czech, I can't deny I feel sore for Georgia. And then, all of a sudden, our president Klaus comes with exclamation that he is Russian supporter in this crisis. You know, Klaus love to go against the tide, but this time, he made really wrong decision IMO. Fortunately, the only political party in Czech who shares Klaus' opinion in this topic is Communist party. Which I found ammusing. Even party Klaus founded in 1992 and who is in lead of Czech Government now, is against him this time.
Anyway, what we need now is unity against Russia in NATO and European Union. But that is hard thing until most of European countries will be dependent on Russian oil and gas supplements. And Russia knows that and that's the biggest problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom