• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S06 EP29: Stairway to Devon

Blackjack Gabbiani

Back due to popular demand!
Reaction score
Since Dogasu hasn't made a post for this yet, I think I will.

And so I shall! And am! And did I mention I got maybe three hours of sleep last night?

My big thing with this episode--who the heck was the other President? When the Prez was talking to Max behind the post, there was another guy who looked almost exactly like him (and with the same suit!) talking to Jenny just a few feet away!

Seriously, I want to know who that is.

And how *did* TR get in the building? Jenny said it wouldn't be possible without security cards...

Also, anyone wanna tell me why the Prez's eyes were changing color? They were purple in a few shots, but grey most of the time...(remember my thing about purple eyes)

"This machine lets you *become* a Pokémon!" Ooooh, the potental for abuse...And despite the fact that it would make a *really cool* episode, we will probably never hear about this again. Lousy writers.

And when he said that Devon creates Pokémon, I was expecting to see a few Porygon flying around...

It was a pretty cool ep. overall. Some parts were confusing me. Like, when he had to not get caught, but then in the building he got caught and didn't care. And at the end, when Pikachu saw the President hand Max the PokeNav, he questioned himself, but didn't mean anything in the end. Just some weird things in the ep. but still a pretty good ep. overall, and not a filler as much. :p

I liked the episode pretty much. I'm glad that they finally introduced Team Aqua into the show.

Originally posted by Mewtwo:
I liked the episode pretty much. I'm glad that they finally introduced Team Aqua into the show.
Agreed. Team Aqua can kick Team Magma's butt any day! XD (Well, mainly because I strongly prefer water over fire...)

And I think I know how Team Rocket got inside the Devon Corp.: Jessie probably flirted her way in. ^^;

I think since that guy was part of Team Aqua, he had done something to the security and JessieCo were just lucky enough to be there when it happened. But that comment about Max being like Stephen...I dunno, it seems to me that Max is destined for greatness.

I hadn't been reviewing episodes for a long time. Anyways, "Stairway to Devon" was a great episode. Not only that it is the funniest Pokemon Advanced episode so far in my opinion. It was pretty interesting. Team Rocket getting chased by Officer Jenny was the funniest part of all. We also find out that Steven is the Devon corp. president's son though people who played R/S probably already knew that. Overall a great episode.

Masato's rating: 10/10

Yeah, I also thought this was a great episode! I loved the beginning, and how Max spilled his drink on the PokeNavi and nobody noticed it, was funny. Oh, and I really loved the part where Max met the President, and the President commented on how big Max's sigh was. That was funny! And I also liked the part where Team Rocket took off their sunglasses and stuff, after they heard who the Devon employees were looking for, and then they got caught. That was so funny! And I also liked the part where the President was showing Max the different things they were making. And it was funny when he came to the machine that lets you understand Pokemon, and the machine that lets you become a Pokemon, because none of them worked. And, speaking of the machine that lets you become a Pokemon, I wonder what the President would think if he heard about what happened to Ash in "Hocus Pokemon"? LOL. Anyway, it was cool when the President noticed that the capsules were stolen, and the President and Max started following that guy from Team Aqua! And I loved the part when that one guy asked Ash, May, and Brock to come over there, and they heard that the capsules were stolen. That was cool! Oh, yeah, and I really loved how Ash and the guy from Team Aqua sorta had a battle. That was cool! But, anyway, it was really cool when he used that flying thing (does it have a name?) to get away and Team Rocket followed him! Oh, and the music that played then was so cool! But, is it the Team Magma/Team Aqua encounter song, or the song that plays when you battle them? Anyway, it was really funny Meowth asked what the capsules were. LOL. And it was cool that Max caught the capsules when they were falling. Oh, and I liked the ending, and when the President mentioned that his son, Steven, was in Dewford Town. The look on Ash's and Brock's face was funny! And I also liked the part when May asked Max if she could look something up about Dewford Town on the PokeNavi. Max was so nervous! LOL. And the part when he was giving the PokeNavi to May, and he said something like, "Here's the PokeNavi, and it's not broken or anything", was really funny. Overall, this was a very good episode, because, like the announcer said, Max had an adventure by himself and the rest learned about Team Magma and Team Aqua.

Rating: 8 out of 10

Sorry I didn't do the usual review thread this week, but the site wouldn't load for me on Friday night/Saturday morning, and I was at work all day Saturday, so I never got to post one.

*starts singing "Stairway to Heaven"* If they keep these bad puns up (we know they do) I'm going to sing very badly. :mad: And are they going to dub it PokéNav or PokéNavi? Sheesh.

*remembers Blackjack's thing about purple eyes* *thinks about Tsukasa, Cadamay, and Chick* O_O Yikes.

Isn't the president's name supposed to be Mr. Stone? I wonder why they didn't use it. I call him Mr. Tracey. I loved the whole concept of Max breaking the PokéNav. I wouldn've liked to see May's reaction if she found out. The guy opening to can was *so* funny!

And I knew they would buy more bathing suits! :p Yes, Ko-Haruka, there's all those things in Dewford, and Brawly. [/shipper-mode]

The TA member looked a little like Spencer Hale to me. It was hilarious how TR was confused with him. Poor TR. ^^; The TA guy was pretty cool, although I never remember any TA member using Crawdaunt in Sapphire Version. Hn. *dives away from obsessive fangirls then laughs* I wonder why he just left his box there after taking out the rocket thing.

And was Haruka May wanting the PokéNav to look up the gym leader...? :p *reenters shipping mode*

Rating: 8.10

Last edited:
Blackjack Gabbiani said:
My big thing with this episode--who the heck was the other President? When the Prez was talking to Max behind the post, there was another guy who looked almost exactly like him (and with the same suit!) talking to Jenny just a few feet away!
That was the President, you must have looked at the scene wrong. The President was with Kennedy and Jenny, he then noticed Max and quickly snuck up behind him. ^_^

My head hurts. Badly.

Remember how I said I got three hours of sleep last Saturday?

OK, so I see how it was only one guy now. However, he showed no reaction when Jenny told him about the infiltrater, AND he got over to where Max was in less than a second.

According to Dogasu, there wasn't anything cut from that part. So less than a second. I suppose Kennedy's comment about how he can run that fast at that age would go here, but that would be impossible.

Also notice Max didn't seem to notice him moving behind him.

I want to know why they changed the shot of Jesse. They've never had problems with cheesecake shots of her before, and it's not like you could see anything anyway...

*shrugs* Well, I guess they were just a little paranoid that they would receive negative comments from parents. Yes, that was a dumb edit, I'll agree with that. :p

Maybe this has something to do with what the critics said about movie five... like, weren't they saying that the skirts were too short or something? I guess they couldn't find anything else to bash about it. You know they're desperate when they start saying things like that.

Back to the episode. That part with May lying on the bench, and suddenly getting up... I think in Japanese, she said she felt sick, then grabbed some package of Brock's and ran out...? What's with that, I wonder.

Yeah, the part with the president confused me too! I saw the episode again today, and realized how I just didn't see that he was the same. It did look like there was some bit cut out, because it is like he's suddenly on the other side of the room. But, I guess not. Unless the Japanese cut it out, of course.

Yeah, it looked to me like something was cut out of that scene, too....

So, I guess the President must be a really fast runner. LOL.

Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom