• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S06 EP31: Sharpedo Attack!

It was also stated explicitly in the golden Noctowl episode that if you use a trap to catch a Pokemon instead of battling it then it won't respect you as a trainer.

And in the second movie, in the original language, Misty's initial verbal attack on Lawrence III concerned that he was using traps instead of Poke Balls and that a trainer shouldn't do that. Lawrence dismissed her with his remark that he wasn't a trainer but a collector.

Throughout the series nets and such have been condemned as ways to catch Pokemon. The only legitimate way is to battle one and capture it fairly or to gain its trust and friendship to where it chooses to be captured without a battle. And as we have seen with Bulbasaur, Treeko and others, most Pokemon prefer to have their masters prove themselves in a battle before being captured, even if they like the person.

No, I have the original version, and she didn't seem to have any problem with how he *caught* them. It was how he was *displaying* them that got her goat.

Kasumi: Why don't you put those in balls when you capture them?
Jirarudan: You can call it a collection when you can see it with your own eyes.

Nothing about how he caught them.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
No, I have the original version, and she didn't seem to have any problem with how he *caught* them. It was how he was *displaying* them that got her goat.

Kasumi: Why don't you put those in balls when you capture them?
Jirarudan: You can call it a collection when you can see it with your own eyes.

Nothing about how he caught them.
Context says otherwise I think. Zapdos and Moltres were confined in the same devices he had used to capture them. And when a trainer catches a Pokemon they use Poke Balls, I don't think Misty was seperating the capture from how he displayed them. She was against the forcefield cages that he had used to catch and contain them, plain and simple.

Last edited:
See, I don't think it really *was* context. If anything, she should have been pissed about how he had basically just kidnapped them ('basically' because it was, after all, accidental, but...)

And so...if the Trio got ahold of some Pokéballs and tried to go after critters, you're saying that the Twerps would just accept it? I really don't see that happening.

Besides, Delia didn't use a ball to catch Mimie, and no one questions that it's hers.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
See, I don't think it really *was* context. If anything, she should have been pissed about how he had basically just kidnapped them ('basically' because it was, after all, accidental, but...)
Good point, it wasn't exactly the most logical scene in the world. Even with his obsessively one-track mind one wonders *what* exactly Lawrence was thinking leaving a bunch of angry Pokemon trainers unsupervised with his collection.

And so...if the Trio got ahold of some Pokéballs and tried to go after critters, you're saying that the Twerps would just accept it? I really don't see that happening.
If they battled the Pokemon fairly then yes, I don't think they'd have a problem with it as they haven't in the past. They had no problem when Jessie caught Lickitung, Shellder, Wurmple or Seviper, they were just surprised she had done it.

Besides, Delia didn't use a ball to catch Mimie, and no one questions that it's hers.
Because it went with her willingly, we're talking captures not . Anyway, Mimie is more her pet as she isn't a trainer. The most important element in the justice of a Pokemon being with someone is that it is well-cared for and wants to be with said person. Obviously large groups caught in nets to be turned over to heartless criminal overlords do not apply. :flinch:

You need to watch the Hoso Specials, Pokemon Fan. :p

In one, Delia and Mimey help battle Butch and Cassidy, and Delia did command it in battle. Seeing Mimey use Doubleslap on Cassidy's Houndour was quite amusing. :) In a more recent one, after Tracey saved a starter Charmander from being completely submerged in the river, Delia tells Mimey to use Psychic to bring them back to shore.

I mean, c'mon, living right next door to the world's leading authority on Pokemon, and possibly having some off-screen question-and-answer sessions with her experienced trainer son, Delia's got to have picked up at least something about battling. :p

Anyway, that's kind of off-topic.

Pokemon Fan said:
The most important element in the justice of a Pokemon being with someone is that it is well-cared for and wants to be with said person.

Wants to be with? Pikachu *hated* Ash at the beginning. And how do we know what will happen to starters?

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Wants to be with? Pikachu *hated* Ash at the beginning. And how do we know what will happen to starters?
A portion of one day I don't think qualifies as justification for a trainer to not have a Pokemon. Anyway, it was under Oak's supervision and wisdom as well, he saw potential.

And as for other Starters, all beginning trainers recieve licenses by professors or other authorities who in turn check up on the trainers progress (as we saw Elm doing with Jackson at least two years after he began his journey) and would surely do something if they saw evidence that the Pokemon was not being cared for properly. Not just anyone can get a Pokemon license and if a Pokemon is abused or handled badly the punishments can be severe. As we saw in the Kanto episode where Ash battled for his seventh badge, if a trainer willingly keeps his or her Pokemon in a trainer battle situation where it could be killed, that trainer will have their training qualification taken away, most likely forever.

Of course not everyone follows this. Damien, Ash's Charmander's original trainer, clearly was not a licensed trainer given that he had more than six Pokemon with him.

I mean, c'mon, living right next door to the world's leading authority on Pokemon, and possibly having some off-screen question-and-answer sessions with her experienced trainer son, Delia's got to have picked up at least something about battling.
I know, and I've read summaries of all the Hoso episodes plus screenshots (can't download and watch episodes because I lack high-speed internet) and while I agree Delia knows something about battling by now (she certainly didn't in the past), I still don't know if I'd call her a trainer though I guess she is in the loosest sense of the word.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom