• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S06 EP49: Jump for Joy! ・ EP50: A Different Kind of Misty!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 37: "Beauty and the Beast! Shiftry and Nurse Joy!"
American Episode 309: "Jump for Joy"

0807.jpg

It's the first new episode to premiere on Kids' WB! since May, so you know everyone was watching this. Can Ash and the gang save Nurse Joy from the Shiftry that's kidnapped her?

And then, later on...

Japanese Episode AG 38: "Plusle and Minun! The Mountain Lighthouse!"
American Episode 310: "A Different Kind of Misty!"

0814.jpg

Plusle and Minun make their first of many anime apperances as they help re-light a lighthouse. And no, everyone's favorite red-head doesn't have anything to do with this episode.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

Last edited:
Two great quotes from Jump for Joy:

Jessie: "Is that what I think it is?"
James: "Could be...but I don't know what you're thinking, and I don't know what it is!"

Brock: "I'm sure Nurse Joy won't soon be forgetting her hero, Brock!"
Ash: "Heh, yeah...but hopefully she WILL forget your girly scream."

-_X Do they have something against saying 'sleep powder', or are they that far removed from the game? If that /was/ stunspore, we'd instantly be thrown back to the Orange Island Vileplume epi with a deperate attempt for the cure. And they wouldn't have fallen asleep either. ...Not to mention, when was stunspore ever blue?

Right... And I was oddly intrigued that Plusle and Minun (so that's how you pronounce it) didn't say their entire names. Why, I'm not sure, since other pokemon don't always do that...or say their name at all.

Overall, they were alright, I suppose. -_-;; [size=-2]Though it's bad enough they cater to Ash's 'hero' status in the movies, they need to drag it back into the show. Grr.[/size]

Well Ash DID admit that he was no hero. And I think Plusle and Minun kept their Japanese voices.

Enjoy Plusle and Minun's novelty now. It will wear off after their 3rd starring role, I assure you. Annoying little Pikachu wannabes.

Jump for Joy was pretty awesome. I thought the animation in it was suprisingly good for Pokemon. I never noticed before that Shiftry/Datengu had those weird feet - two blocks on the underside of it.

Geodude said:
Well Ash DID admit that he was no hero.

Still. He may not except the title today, but the audience is aware that he's 'special', that he does things no other trainer gets to do constantly. But again, that's movie reference. What I'm saying is, why did /he/ have to be the specific trainer to catch Thatcher's attention? Aside from the reason that 'if he didn't do exciting things, the show would be boring'. Someone else in the group could've been it too, were the legend different.

And I think Plusle and Minun kept their Japanese voices.

That's what I thought when I heard them, but then I wasn't sure. I mean, it sounded like it, but that could easily be a shift in pokemon vocal style for the dub.

And was I the only one who predicted what Shiftry's voice would be beforehand? They could've done better on that.

I like Plusle and Minun. But they are no pikachu. :025:>:rs081::rs080: on the cuteness scale.
Annoying little Pikachu wannabes.
I thought Plusle sounded like Kirby.

NeoKuwa said:
Jump for Joy was pretty awesome. I thought the animation in it was suprisingly good for Pokemon. I never noticed before that Shiftry/Datengu had those weird feet - two blocks on the underside of it.

I think Dirteng is supposed to be based off some famous kabuki person. Its hair and its feet (which look like shoes worn in kabuki) bear a striking resemblence to those seen in kabuki, and the music in the Japanese version of the episode had a very kabuki feel to it.

"Jump For Joy" - This was a pretty good episode! And I think it's story was really interesting! Although, I also noticed that Stun Spore thing. And when Ash fell asleep from it, I was like "Isn't it supposed to paralyze him? Or did they make a mistake and call it Stun Spore instead of Sleep Powder?". Anyway, I thought it was weird when all of the wild Pokemon were attacking Ash and everyone, cause I didn't know about the sick Nuzleaf yet. And when I did find out about, I really felt sorry for it. And it looked sad with all those wild Pokemon around it. Anyway, I really don't have that much to say about this episode. And overall, I thought it was really interesting how the Shiftry actually took Nurse Joy, and did all that for the sick Nuzleaf!!! ^_^

Rating: 9 out of 10

"A Different Kind Of Misty" - This was a really good episode! And I loved every bit of it! Oh, and I thought it came on weird though, with Team Rocket trying stealing the light stone, which I couldn't even think of why they'd want that. Anyway, I liked getting to see Plusle and Minun in the anime for the first time! It was really cool! And I also liked the way Helping Hand works in the show too! Of course, after Ash put his jacket back on, I thought it was really funny how Thatcher thought he was "The Hero". LOL. And when they got to the village, I thought it was hilarious how Thatcher was inviting them in, and he called May, Brock, and Max Ash's followers! XD LOL. Of course, I think my favorite part of this episode, was when Ash was telling Thatcher how to be a hero! I loved that part! ^____^ And I also liked the part after Team Rocket took Pikachu and the light stone, and Ash was trying to get Pikachu to hear him when he said, "Pikachu, fire your Thunderbolt at the light stone!". That was really cool! And I loved how Pikachu heard him! Anyway, I also liked the part when Plusle and Minun used Helping Hand to help get Pikachu's energy back. That was awesome! And it was so cool when Plusle and Minun used Helping Hand on each other, and made that really powerful Spark attack! Oh, and it was really funny at the end when Thatcher called Ash master! LOL. It was also funny that Max actually pulled Brock away from the girl (sorry, I forgot her name)! Overall, I really loved this episode! And it's now one of my favorites! :-D

Rating: 10 out of 10

Last edited:
Oh, those were on this weekend? Whoops, I missed them. :\

I think Dirteng is supposed to be based off some famous kabuki person. Its hair and its feet (which look like shoes worn in kabuki) bear a striking resemblence to those seen in kabuki, and the music in the Japanese version of the episode had a very kabuki feel to it.

Datengu.

Dark Tengu.

Shiftry is a dark tengu - a Japanese crow goblin with a giant nose. ;) Yeah, I know it's not a Flying-Type, but still - Tengus have the ability to transform into large-nosed old men who live in the mountains. They can read their opponent's mind - just like Shiftry.

Last edited:
Ah, OK. I was just using the spelling GameFreak puts on all of its packaging which, in this case, seems to be wrong. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Jump For Joy was both interesting and amusing; for once it was up to Brock and everyone else to save Nurse Joy. I must admit that his girly scream was hilarious, and that is the core reason Nurse Joy chose not to pay attention to his adoration of her. I had this running joke about Shiftry kidnapping Nurse Joy because he needed a mom for his kids, just like Entei. ^_^

A Different Kind of Misty was good as well, and it was nice to see Plusle and Minun for once in the anime; they're cute! I'm pretty sure that Rachel Lillis plays Alyssa because she sounded very much like Misty herself.

~Roxy~

I haven't seen either, but hopefully YTV will have Jump for Joy at 11:30 and A Different Kind of Misty after that. I can't fall asleep until 1:00 if I want to watch Digimon Tamers at 12:30.

EDIT: So much for Jump for Joy. Knowing YTV, they showed it last week when I wasn't around. Kids WB could've shown it yesterday. Idiots.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom