• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP36: Me, Myself and TIme

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 76: "Baltoy & The Ruins in the Mist"
American Episode 348: "Me, Myself and Time"

0513.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
No known encore airing this week

Ash is traveling through a mist-filled area when he gets separated from the rest of his friends. He comes across a little girl named Calista who, with her Baltoy, is searching for a treasure in the ruins. Can Ash and the little girl, along with a mysterious stranger in a hood, be able to solve the enigma of the hidden ruins?

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

Last edited:
Loved this episode. Oh, and Ash/Callista = TimeShipping. For some reason I was reminded of the 'Tomb Raider' movie by this episode; I suppose it's the time travel bit and the ruins. Seeing both Baltoy and Xatu battle was great.

And I loved Callista's bit about parents who live vicariously through their kids and who insist that they learn a specific trade, skill, etc. I felt sorry for Callista having to deal with parents like that. There's no reason why anyone shouldn't be able to pursue their dream.

Ahh Temporal Anomolies...not just for Star Trek any more. Or for flying deloreans. Anyway, decent ep and probably the most unique method of time travel I've ever seen. Although it does make sense a bit. Baltoy spins like the hands of a clock. Clockwise into the future and maybe counterclockwise into the past.

Either way, they better hope no one like Team Magma find the time machine and alter the past somehow. Good ep but I am reminded of this quote from Star Trek: Voyager:

"Captain Janeway: Time travel. From my first day on the job as captain I promised myself I'd never let myself get caught up in one of these God-forsaken paradoxes. The future's the past, the past is the future. It all gives me a headache. "

L_X

Callista was a sweet addition to the episode and I was proud of her for being so ambitious. When I first saw the woman in the hood, I assumed that she was Callista's mother, using the phone call as an excuse to reconcile with her daughter. I turned out to be wrong, of course, and the plot twist was an unexpected one.

Now if only Ash will hurry to Fortree City...

Roxy's Rating: 10/10

~Roxy~

"Me, Myself, and Time" was a good episode, but why does 4Kids have to make those lame puns? I wanted those classic episodes that made sense, and some of the Japanese titles were better than the English ones, since they weren't puns, and showed what the episode really meant.

The plotline was good - Callista and Ash seeing a person from the future in which an ancient civilization created a time machine thousands of years ago. The old woman being Callista was unique, hence part of the lame pun "Me, Myself and Time", but nonetheless, the episode was good, and finally, they revolved the entire episode around Ash this time around - first May with Wurmple, then Max with Wailord, now it's Ash's turn this "season".

Pros:

+ The unique use of ancient civilization and time were very well done.
+ The plotline was pretty unique.
+ Baltoy is mentioned here, and Xatu is back. It's been a while.
+ The voice-acting for young Callista was pretty good - for a temporary character.
+ The same goes for the older Callista.

Cons

- Team Rocket...again...trying to steal the treasure. This reminds me of "Xatu the Future!" in "Johto League Champions".
- How they pronounced Baltoy - I call it Ball-toy. They called it Bau-toy, or something like that.
- The person who did the voice acting for older Callista mispronounced Xatu's name once. Zah-too, not Za-too.
- The title.

That's all I can think of.

~Cobalt~

I loved this episode. It was so clever, and I enjoyed the whole "follow your dreams thing". I thought it was nice how there was an episode about a girl who wanted to be an archeologist... I mean, not a Pokemon trainer, gym leader, master, etc., but an archeologist. The voice acting for the side character was especially good today as well. I think it was Amy Birnbaum, but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
Maybe it was just me, but I thought the best part of the episode was where Pikachu was poking at the Baltoy (which I think was pronounced fine) when Ash and Callista were discussing Callista's life and her book.

I definitely thought older Callista was Courtney. I was pretty much, 'Dude, Magma lady!' but then I kept seeing not so Magma-y clothing and kept thinking, 'um, she's not?'

Course, you know /exactly/ what's going on once mystery lady starts talking about how she spent years trying to convince her parents of her passion for archeology. The moment she said that, it went down hill from there: 'o_O it's an older Callista! Time travel! Why do I keep forgetting to keep the title of the episode in mind when these things happen?!'

Then there comes the one problem older!Calli forgets: if she spent X amount of years researching the Baltoy, and wants younger!Calli to finish it for her....what happens to the knowledge older!Calli acquired? Young!Calli's not going to have it, which means she's being plopped into the middle of an ongoing expedition with no knowledge to what older!Calli has already figured out, despite the one thing older!Calli spent so long searching for finaly being uncovered and leaving young!Calli to finish it for her. Yet...um...okay, basic summary: acquisition of a lifetime of knowledge is being skipped over, and young!Calli's going in blind.

Still. ^.^ Pikachu and Baltoy! Cute! And that song was groovy. Older!Calli/Kayzie Rogers' ain't such a bad singer.
6.5/10

- How they pronounced Baltoy - I call it Ball-toy. They called it Bau-toy, or something like that.

Since the name seems to come from Balance and Toy rather than Ball and Toy - their version seems to be more correct.

I enjoyed this episode very much. It's always interesting to see the different time travel storylines.
I don't mind the puns that 4Kids makes with the titles that much... It bugs me when they forget they've used them and reuse them again... as the case for "Love, Totodile Style" and "Love, Pokemon Style".
I wish they would have kept the Japanese music for this episode, which for me added a lot of whimsy to the whole episode. But they kept the moutain's name, which I enjoyed. ("Kiri" is the Japanese word for mist.) And Jessie's "woman's intuition joke".
Now that you mention it, it did kinda sound like Amy. But I think it was the new name that they put in the credits, Lisa Adams. It sounded kinda like Prima to me...
Am I talking too much? ^_^

Got to be one of the best fillers ever. A unique episode to say the least. The woman singing was quite haunting and added to the mysteriousness of her.

Other Sing Voices
Ash: meh
Young Callista: meh but not as much
Jessie: Wow she can actually sing. Why doesn't she quit TR and hit broadway?
James: meh
Meowth: meh
Wobbafett: triple meh
I see why Pokemon isn't a very musical show.

I like the music of this episode. The inserting of the music from the second movie was a nice touch.

I also liked that Xatu actually got to do some stuff this episode like fight. Rather than making faulty weather reports (it's an insult to us true atmospheric scienists who do it the hard way but are actually right 90% of the time :mad:).

*coughs* Where was I, ah yes. It's too bad we don't get episodes like this more often. This would have made a great movie but sadly this ingenious concept is restricted to a one shot filler :(.

The Big Al's rating
9.2 out of 10. THis is as good as it gets nearly.

Toraph Knight said:
Then there comes the one problem older!Calli forgets: if she spent X amount of years researching the Baltoy, and wants younger!Calli to finish it for her....what happens to the knowledge older!Calli acquired? Young!Calli's not going to have it, which means she's being plopped into the middle of an ongoing expedition with no knowledge to what older!Calli has already figured out, despite the one thing older!Calli spent so long searching for finaly being uncovered and leaving young!Calli to finish it for her. Yet...um...okay, basic summary: acquisition of a lifetime of knowledge is being skipped over, and young!Calli's going in blind.

6.5/10
You noticed that, too. It made no sense to me; it basically went, "I want you to finish what I started!" "But I don't have any clue what you started or where you left off!"

You didn't like the episode? Because you gave it a middle D.

I probably would have given it a better rating, had I not spoiled it for myself.... Probably a 8.9/10. It was fun, if a little odd. Everyone's said all the good things: music (including that Baltoy Path song), Xatu, Kirikiri, spending time with Ashy, Pikachu poking Baltoy and it rocking to and fro, uniqueness, kid escaping parents who don't give a crap about their kid's dreams. I liked the Baltoy Path song, but I didn't really like older!Calli's singing voice. And will Ash really take the "spend your time wisely" advice to heart?

Did the Baltoy Path song have the same tune in Japanese as in English, like Jigglypuff's and Britney's songs?

Poor The Big Al....

fruitsmoothierevenge said:
Am I talking too much? ^_^
Wait till PokemonTrainerLisa gets here. No offense, PTL! ^^; I like your... ornate reviews.

Last edited:
Wasn't it funny the way Pikachu was poking Baltoy and watching it wobble back and forth? XD

Kthleen said:
Did the Baltoy Path song have the same tune in Japanese as in English, like Jigglypuff's and Britney's songs?

Yeah, more or less. The dubbed version starts out with the same tune and then deviates slightly from the original tune as the song continues.

Kthleen said:
You didn't like the episode? Because you gave it a middle D.
*shrug* I base my rating on an overall personal impact for the episode. While it had its moments, and it's slightly unique spin, I didn't enjoy it so much. Thus, a low rating. ^^; Everyone has their preferences; this ep just wasn't for me.

o_O Oh yeah, I had noticed the Kirikiri thing too. 'Kiri' being 'mist', I mean.

Um, am I the only one who noticed this, but Callista was the name of the lady with the Xatu in "Xatu the Future!"

How come Xatu couldn't move those rocks with confusion?

Thanks, Dogasu.

I understand, Toraph Knight.

The girl in Xatu the Future was Callister. I heard Callista's name and thought it was horribly familiar, so I checked on Serebii.
And why didn't Xatu move the rocks with Psychic? (I know the show isn't the games, but it can't learn Confusion.) Hmm.... Perhaps hers didn't know it.

Last edited:
Here's my review of this episode:

I really loved this episode! And I liked the way it came on, with Ash looking for everyone else, and then falling like that. LOL. XD I also liked the part when Ash saved Callista's Baltoy from falling off the cliff by having Pikachu use Quick Attack on it. That was cool! And I thought it was kinda interesting how Callista's parents wanted her to be a doctor, but she wanted to be an archeologist. I loved the song that Callista and the older Callista sang about Baltoy's path! And I really loved the part when Ash sang it! That was cool! Oh, and I also thought that older Callista was part of Team Magma as well (before I found out who she really was). And I thought it was great that she turned out to be Callista from the future. Oh, and I think one of my favorite parts was when Callista said that her book was new, and she wondered why older Callista's book was really old, when they both had the same book. And I loved Ash's expression in that scene. It was really funny! And another part that I really liked was when Meowth accidentally told Ash that the machine was made out of steel, and then Ash told Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on it. That was hilarious! And when Callista's Baltoy used Rapid spin on that wheel, I liked how that scene looked with that time machine glowing like that. Although, when older Callista went on the platform, and said she was from the future, I didn't quite understand it for some reason (I guess I'm not very good with figuring out time travel, cause it confuses me sometimes). Anyway, I thought it was cool how older Callista said that Callista changed the future by answering that phone call and having courage. And I liked the part when they both sang the song about Baltoy's path again. That was cool! And I really liked the part when Ash said that one line that went something like, "I guess the most valuable treasure in the universe is time". Of course, I loved the part after Callista said something about her dream, and then Ash said that he wanted to become a Pokemon Master. That was really cool! And I think it's the first time Ash has said anything about wanting to become a Pokemon Master in a long time. Oh, and after Ash said goodbye to Callista, I thought it was great that Brock, May, and Max finally found him. And I loved the fact that Ash didn't wanna waste time and stop to eat lunch, he just wanted to get to his next gym battle in Fortree City. That was cool!!!! And overall, I really loved this episode, it was really cool, interesting, and it was a great filler episode.

Rating: 10 out of 10

Cobalt said:
- Team Rocket...again...trying to steal the treasure. This reminds me of "Xatu the Future!" in "Johto League Champions".
Actually, "Xatu The Future" is from Master Quest, Cobalt.

Kthleen said:
Wait till PokemonTrainerLisa gets here. No offense, PTL! ^^; I like your... ornate reviews.
LOL, Kthleen.

XD

OK, just saw it today. Adult Callista tells Young Callista that she can't stay because the same person can't exist outside their time for very long or something like that, but...Sammy didn't seem to have a problem.

Also, I got the distinct impression that Adult Callista was dying. All that stuff about how she didn't have the time left to study the Baltoy civilization, and how she didn't want her younger self to waste the precious time...

Like I said, a great movie idea forced into a filler.

Also, Sammie and Oak were dozens of kilometers apart. The Callistas were with each other.

I wish they had made this an arc. It deserved an arc.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom