• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S08 EP15: Absol-ute Disaster

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
pab16.jpg

Picture credit to [HASHTAG]#poketmonsters[/HASHTAG]

JP: "Absol! The Shadow of Creeping Misfortune"
Dub: "Absol-ute Disaster!"

Discuss, plzthx. :O

Last edited:
Meh. This episode didn't do anything for me.

Team Rocket saved it by far.

Extremely boring, nothing exciting, basic pokemon hatred, random improbabilities. Spheres and cubes as peaks of the mountains?? Hello imagination, me thinks you strayed too far.

The only part of interest to me that Mickey = Luffy and Gordon = Usopp, and that's nothing to get excited about.

What did Absol sound like? People over at SPP seemed to like it's voice.

Unregistered said:
What did Absol sound like? People over at SPP seemed to like it's voice.

Over-used. The same VA is used for every other deep-throated pokemon that every walked on the dub, and Absol was no different. Poor and unoriginal.

I don't think I've heard it before. What other Pokémon have that VA?

Luna Tiger said:
Over-used. The same VA is used for every other deep-throated pokemon that every walked on the dub, and Absol was no different. Poor and unoriginal.
Ahh. So I'm to assume it was basically given the Shifty/Venusaur/Blastoise treatment then. Damn, and here I was getting my hopes up.

It's the same as the voice from the 6th movie.

This episode was pretty good, I liked seeing all the Pokemon shoot their elemental attacks at the rock. We've never seen anything like that before.

CyberCubed said it best: "Ash's voice sounded different in this episode, it seems like Veronica Taylor is experimenting by trying to give him a deeper voice."

Did anybody else notice that? I liked it when she knocked it down a notch the first time, but can't say I was too fond of it this time. (Sorry, Mrs. Taylor!)

Although I wouldn't call it extremely boring, I'll have to agree with Luna Tiger. Big white doggy-thing + rather nice-looking Characters of the Day + TR discovering they lost their disguises = love, but everything else just left me with a raised eyebrow.

Chosen of Mana said:
I agree. Team Rocket discovering they don't have their disguises = winnar. :O
Indeed. :D

Not that interesting of an ep to me, sadly. I don't think I'll remember these one-shot characters, the plot was predictable, and even TR wasn't too original this time around.

Unregistered said:
Ahh. So I'm to assume it was basically given the Shifty/Venusaur/Blastoise treatment then. Damn, and here I was getting my hopes up.
C'mon already! I thought this was discussed before.

Absol=Shiftry=/=Blastoise=Venusaur

I'm getting the feeling that I'm losing interest in the anime, and this episode really didn't help that much.

I mean, a long time ago, I liked the anime. After a while, I started to realize that the anime was falling apart for quite a while.

Hopefully, the episodes get a LOT more creative after this point.

Kthleen said:
CyberCubed said it best: "Ash's voice sounded different in this episode, it seems like Veronica Taylor is experimenting by trying to give him a deeper voice."

Mmm. Maybe she's trying to make Ash finally go through puberty?

Anyway, there were three good points about this episode, in my opinion:

1. The disguise bit.
2. Team Rocket's faked accents... because I found them amusing.
3. The idea of Absol merely trying to warn humans of disaster, not create it themselves.

Other than that, yes. It was a little hard to sit through.

The episodes stopped being creative after the Orange Islands.

I think it was Kanto.

It was an ok episode. It kind of threw me off with the new time slot. It was just a random filler. The Luffy voice was kind of annoying me.

Huh?

New time slot?

That's weird, cause Pokemon was on at the same time for me (10:00 AM EST).

As for this episode, I thought it was pretty good. Now, I've gotta admit, I am getting tired of all these filler episodes before Ash's 8th gym battle. But, they had a lot of filler episodes before his 8th gym battle in Johto too, so that doesn't surprise me. Anyway, I liked the beginning, and how it looked as though Absol did cause the bridge to break, making it seem as though it caused disasters. That was kind of dramatic, and for some reason I kinda thought that was the route this episode was gonna take. Of course, what I really liked was how this episode proved that theory wrong. That made it more interesting (for me, at least). And my favorite part in this episode was when Ash looked all tired from walking and he said, "How'd they get to the peak before us?". That was funny. And I also liked the part where all the Pokemon were using their attacks to push that big rock over, and get it out of the way. It was cool to see the attacks animated that way. And overall, this was a pretty good episode, it had some dramatic parts, and seeing Absol in the anime was cool.

Rating: 4 out of 5

MistyIRC said:
The episodes stopped being creative after the Orange Islands.
Well, I wouldn't say that, MistyIRC......

I mean, I don't know about you, but I liked the Master Quest season a lot. And in my opinion, that season had some very creative episodes (some of them were fillers too).

*needs to get the Master Quest DVD box sets*

Kthleen said:

Did anybody else notice that? I liked it when she knocked it down a notch the first time, but can't say I was too fond of it this time. (Sorry, Mrs. Taylor!)
Actually, Kthleen, with this episode, I didn't really seem to notice much of a difference in Ash's voice.

I mean, it seemed pretty much the same to me.

And I have to say that all of Ash's normal conversation lines were perfect (mainly his lines at the beginning, middle, and end, the usual talking lines).

But, later in the episode during some of the more dramatic parts, when Ash had a bit of an angrier tone to his voice, it did seem as though Veronica was probably trying to get lower than she usually does. And I don't know why she'd do that, cause Ash's voice is perfect the way it is (I love it!).

Of course, since those were just scenes where Ash was supposed to be kinda mad/determined anyway, I didn't mind the lower pitched voice that much.

I guess it kinda matched with the situation or something.

I'm not saying that there aren't GOOD episodes after Orange Islands, but after that point all the episodes basically had the same premise as some ep from the first two season. So it all really comes down to execution.

Last edited:
Clearly, your bias of the Pinkan Island episode blinds you to reason and logic, Misty!

Well the world isn't painted pink my friend. The world isn't painted pink...

Anyway, why has no one jumped on the opportunity to use the "Absol-ute Disaster!" pun to describe this lackluster episode? It seems a little too easy, doesn't it?! Dun~dun~dun...

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom