• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S08 EP18: The Great Eight Fate! ・ EP19: Eight Ain't Enough

Swellow... Aerial-acing an electric type, and WINNING? That was awesome.

Corphish against the ice balls after taking a horn drill, pikachu against miltoic, grovyle hitting its head... All in all, a quite impressive battle, and excellent to watch. ^_^

I honestly haven't seen a battle this good in a VERY long time, though given my biases, the Winona fight came close...

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Man. The anime really ruined the unique setting of Sootopolis, didn't it? They didn't even have to go underwater to get to it! And I'm not even going to mention the gym...

Fortree City was hit worse than Sootopolis. Instead of getting a unique town where people live in the trees, we got one shot of the houses, and otherwise it was a generic town

Birdboy2000 said:
Swellow... Aerial-acing an electric type, and WINNING? That was awesome.
What the hell are you talking about? Whiscash is a Water/Ground type.

Ooops! Now it makes a LOT more sense. XP

(I think it's the vaguely lightning-ish W and the tendril-things that look good to send electricity from, along with mixing it up with lanturn... Gah, I was so confused there. x.x)

Dogasu said:
Weird. KTLA doesn't list the episode title for the 10:30am episode. While it does make sense that we'd get part two airing during the second slot, it isn't, as far as I know, confirmed to be airing yet.

KTLA is my WB affilate and they did show part two. I like those episodes they were some of the better gym battle ones. It was so cute when pikachu was riding corphish. Why didn't the think about the water conducting electricty? Ash should know that.

Okay, here's a gift for good ears: Before the final commercial of part 1, Corphish spoke like a Magikarp!

Did anyone but me notice this? When Milotic came out. It sounded like it was saying: Mirokro. It's Japanese name is Mirokaruso. o_o;

First ep: Boring-ish, but there was one (unintentionally) funny line when TR appeared near the beginning.

Brock: They're from an evil organization that uses Pokemon for evil called Team Rocket!

Good job, Brock! You get a cookie! Did he say the same thing in the Japanese? I know they want to keep the show friendly to newcomers (well, as friendly as Pokemon can be to newcomers), but must the writers feel the urge every episode to point out that TR is evil? Isn't it apparent enough, when they send down nets and talk about "the evils of truth and love"? Okay, end rant.
I'm also glad to see that the writers showed some self-restraint on the gay jokes this time around, since there were lots of opportunities. The only one that could have been a gay joke was James' "Don't I look fabulous" comment, and even then, that's not so much necessarily a gay joke as James being full of himself. Speaking of James, the TR dialogue made the second ep one of my favorites this season (other than the Claydol and Mawile ones). The comment from one of the Juan groupies about surrealism, Jessie's Don Juan comment (man, THAT one went over a lot of heads, including mine... I had to look it up on Wikipedia), and poor James losing his bottlecap colletion... pure James fangirl heaven. He makes a damn fine Juan too.

Anyone else, though, creeped out by Juan's fangirls?

nekusagi-chan said:
I know they want to keep the show friendly to newcomers (well, as friendly as Pokemon can be to newcomers), but must the writers feel the urge every episode to point out that TR is evil? Isn't it apparent enough, when they send down nets and talk about "the evils of truth and love"?

Not really. As far as we know, Jessie and James are the only two members of Team Rocket in the Hoenn region. The organization isn't well-known at all, so saying the name of the team without saying what they do (steal pokemon) wouldn't really be telling all these Hoenn people anything.

Plus, Juan probably would have thought that they were artists or something until they started trying to steal his pokemon. You know, because of their flashy entrance and all.

Anyway, I had a couple of random observations about the art in these two episodes:

-Notice how, on the way to the gym, Juan and May are the only ones drinking tea? Everyone else is drinking juice.

-Juan has a butt chin. There. I said it.

-Some of Juan's fangirls look REALLY odd. There's this one girl on the very right in one shot who has these broad man shoulders. Freaky.

-Notice how out of proportion Milotic is when Pikachu is performing its final attack? The thing just suddenly doubles in size!

Dogasu said:
Plus, Juan probably would have thought that they were artists or something until they started trying to steal his pokemon. You know, because of their flashy entrance and all.
He actually said something to suggest that he did think that, IIRC.

This has to be one of the best ever swellow, corphish and pikachu were really badass in this episode I didn't expect swellow to be able to swim (swellow's just full of surprises) and getting up after a close range hyperbeam. Then combine aerial ace with quick attack made me laugh that was so cool:loopy:. And pikachu flipping milotic over then frying it with full power thunder :loopy:, and corphish crab hammering the life out of luvdisc :loopy: can't wait for the league episodes.

My review of "The Great Eight Fate":

This was a very good episode! I thought they had a great introduction for Juan. And also, I liked the way his gym rules were different than all the the other Hoenn gyms. First, a double battle, followed up by a single battle. That's awesome! And speaking of the double battle between Ash and Juan, it was great! It first, it seemed to me that Ash was having a difficult time trying to defeat some of Juan's Pokemon there, but after a while, he really came out a winner. And as always, I love Ash's strategy that he used! It was awesome! Oh, and I also liked how this episode ended. It was very surprising with Luvdisc using Sweet Kiss on Grovyle like that. And overall, this was a very good episode, and it was an awesome double battle for Ash.

Rating: 5 out of 5

My review of "Eight Ain't Enough":

This episode was really good! First of all, I was a bit surprised that Ash didn't try to return Grovyle when it got confused. I guess he didn't know what Sweet Kiss does. Anyway, I think this second part of Ash's gym battle was amazing. Corphish was great, of course! Oh, and Ash had all kinds of great moves with Swellow! Although, I'd have to say the best battle in this episode was definitely the one between Milotic and Pikachu. That had to be one of the best battles ever, in my opinion! I mean, just that finishing move by Pikachu alone was enough to make this a great gym battle. And since Ash knew that water conducts electricity very well, it was so smart of him to think of that. Anyway, I'm so happy that he's earned his 8th badge. And he can finally go to the Hoenn League now!! Yay!!!! Oh, and also, Team Rocket was hilarious in this episode, whenever they appeared. And overall, this was a brilliant episode, and it was one of the best gym battles I've ever seen, and of course Ash did a fantastic job winning it.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Last edited:
Since this ep will be on tomorrow, I figured I'd share this. The cable summary for "Eight Ain't Enough" is as follows:

"In fierce battle Ash sends out his last Pokemon, Pikachu, to fight Adan's Milotic."

Hell, my cable guide said for one episode of Naruto that Ino and Sakura for fighting for the love of the same girl....XD

I think Juan is a cool Gym Leader with impressive skills from his Pokemon Coordinator experiences.
This gym battle was a nice one and I liked how Swallow didn't give up and liked it when Ash actually remembered how Ice Ball takes more time as it repeats itself from the battle at Muscle Island. Now that Ash has earned all of his eight Hoenn badges, I'm looking forward to May's contest at Pacifidlog Town~

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom