• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S08 EP27: The Ribbon Cup Caper ・ EP28: Hi Ho Silver Wind!

The Big Al said:
The Jynx made me want to break down and cry because means they skipped over the contest to make all the uninformed fans go WTF just to bring the fat slob in faster. I've only seen it for three episodes and I already want to shoot Munchlax. It's annoying I would have PREFERED watching Skitty take down a Houndoom.

I know I was all "WTF?! A Jynx????!!!!"

I hate Jenny's new voice I know her old VA left, but they really could've used somebody else like Liza Ortiz or Amanda Brown.

Last edited:
I'd say I definitely prefer Jenny's new voice. Although it's a bit jarring at first 'cause it's so different, at least it doesn't sound like she's got a pole jammed up her arse.

The original Jenny, while classic, does have a very grating voice. Episodes where she's a central character like the Kanto Growlithe ep show just how incapable the voice is of sustaining itself without melting your earlobes. I'm rather glad that this time round we get a much softer and easier to listen to Jenny.

Even if she does sound a bit like a man.

I like Jenny's new voice. And Harley rules: I laughed out loud when he said "You'll be sorry you ran into me again, girlfriend!" I'm now a believer in Contestshipping (May/Drew). His giving her the rose was my first clue (and a nice gesture on Drew's part) and May's blushing when Harley alludes to her and Drew as being a couple was the clincher. But why did Drew's Roselia seem depressed to me?

I'm surprised people seem to like a Jenny VA who simply cannot act. Not only is the voice too masculine, but it's so damn slow. It's almost as if it took her an hour to say a single word. The old Jenny used to speak quickly with her sultry accent, this Jenny sucks the life out of every scene she's in by sounding like she's reading off a script.

Why 4kids hires crap to do their characters I have no idea. Hopefully though this is just a temporary replacement until they find someone more competent, because I don't want to hear Jenny sound butch much longer.

Should have had either Rachel Lilis or Veronica Taylor attempt to do Jenny, because this replacement needs acting lessons, and also needs to know the difference between the voice of a man and a woman.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Dogasu said:
That's not Japanese, that's "Tajirin."
Tajirin is more block-like
Didn't we already go through this? Yeah, it does look much more Japanese that Tajirin, but what in the world does "kosufusuji" mean?

(Note: The picture BjG originally linked to is now found on this page, slightly more than halfway down.)

Wow, I need to pay more attention. I somehow totally missed Jynx. o_O
Anyway, I do miss Jenny's old voice. I also think canceling the contest would be over the top. And Harley looked stranger than usual.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Tajirin is more block-like

But isn't Tajirin the blanket term used to cover any made-up alphabet used in the anime?

Either way, the text you said was "unedited Japanese" isn't even close to being Japanese.

Well then what are people calling the more rounded script? Because, unless it's based on some ancient written language that nobody uses anymore, it's as made-up as Tajirin is.

And are these made-up languages even be decodable? I can't see the Pokemon anime producers going to the trouble of actually making up a functional, translatable language the way the creators of Futurama or Invader Zim did.

"Tajirese"? "Japanese-like Tajirin" ("J-Tajirin")?

Unless it creates something intelligible, I think that we should just refer to it as Tajirin.

Last edited:
"The Ribbon Cup Caper"

This was a pretty good episode. It was cool to see Brody again, after the Groudon and Kyogre incident. Anyway, on another note, I liked Officer Jenny's new voice. It wasn't quite as good as the original, but it was still good enough though. And as for the episode, well, I guess I'd have to say my favorite part was when everyone was saying different things about the Golden Pokeball to try and get Brody to steal it. That was pretty funny, with the way they were saying that stuff and everything. XD And I actually don't have much else to say about this episode. So, overall, it was an interesting and very funny episode.

Rating: 4 out of 5

"Hi Ho Silver Wind"

This was a very good episode! It was a nice way to start out the Grand Festival. And it was great to see Drew, Harley, and Caroline again (especially her, since we haven't seen her in a while). It was funny how James dressed up as Norman again, like he did back in "A Double Dilemma". XD Anyway, it seems that Harley's up to his old tricks again, and I was actually really surprised that May got through the preliminaries with just Silver Wind. Wow, that was amazing! And I'm gonna have to say that my favorite scene in this episode was when Harley looked at both May and Drew and said that they were a couple. Now that was hilarious! XD Oh, and of course I was surprised to find out that they actually kept Jynx in this episode (yay!). So, anyway, I was really glad about that. And speaking of Jynx, when Team Rocket first tried to steal all of those Pokemon in that one scene, they played a BGM that hasn't been played since Johto (Master Quest). I love that song, and I was really happy that they played it again. And overall, this was a really good episode, it was very exciting and also pretty funny too.

Rating: 5 out of 5

I agree with those who say Jenny's voice wasn't any good. At least with Joy's, it's somewhat reminiscent of the previous voice in pitch, if not quality. The difference is noticeable, but all right. Jenny didn't seem to convey her old character with the new voice.

I also agree with Al. Munchlax is annoying. But then, it's May's Pokemon, so I'm more inclined to be hard on it, and Skitty, and Torchic when she had it.

Brody wasn't too interesting, and I don't care for Harley.

The Ribbon Cup Caper

That's odd. Officer Jenny had a different new voice in The Legend of Thunder.

For an episode designed to set up May's tournament, Brock definately stole the show in this one. Besides his bad acting over the gold Pokéball - oh Eric Stuart, how we will miss ye - his identification abilities are even more of a plot point this time around.

Gotta love the battles that can't actually work in physics so the animators just stick in the anime backgrounds for all of it. Cacnea and Seviper are actually seen hanging in mid-air over the water at one point. :p

The news on Teams Aqua and Magma was good set-up for The Scheme Team but it would have been nice if we could have seen them disband. Though that is shadowed by the anticlimactic ending of this plot. After all that, he just gives back the real cup? Not a fake but the real one losing all his gains? (I'm not even going into how on earth he managed to hide that under the Officer Jenny costume.)

I half expected the cup he gave back to be another fake, especially when TR stole it, it would be just their luck and a typical running gag considering they stole the "golden" pokéball or at least tried to. Why on earth did he give it back, it seems to me like the same lazy writing style I used to use years ago:

Writer 1: Ok we're running out of screentime, how do we solve this in an "original" way
Writer 2: I dunno a new episode of Simpsons is on in a few minutes, just have him give it back as he doesn't like it anymore
Writer 1: Genius

Ok people, I did that in my first/second season.. this is your eight geeze and it's a proper program *eye roll* Seriously did I miss something?

Apart from that I did like most of the episode, and I'm probably the only one who welcomed James' doing a Boss fantasy for once. I dunno, I do hate those fantasies and he sounded much less enthusiased as Meowth when he does them.. I did lol at the line: "thanks to James and (in a quiet mumbly tone) the other two.."

Hi Ho Silver Wind

So 247 people have got through to the Grand Festival. That means that they have won 1235 ribbons between them! I'm going to guess that ribbons can be reused...

So May keeps in contact with all her old contest rivals? That's neat to know but I wonder if it will ever get more than just this reference.

Wasn't it already taken for granted that Caroline likes Beautiflys after the last time the group were in Petalburg City? Her description was all well and good but we already know there is a more simple explanation for her likeing it.

And as for Norman, I'm glad it was made clear that he was too busy because that fits with Misty's situation in AG and the writers are clearly sticking to that and I'm not now going to start going into the PokéShipping in the hosos honest. Actually, now I think of it, wasn't there a cameo of Misty watching the Hoenn League on TV that made everyone go crazy last year? Because this episode assures us that Norman is doing the same thing.

Notice that Robert gave the best appeal and Drew was third best. May and Harley... not so good. Was that Harley's plan and it just backfired? May can clearly appeal well with Silver Wind since what we saw was impressive. Harley was just confusing in this epsiode.

Anyone else notice the different judges in the appeals round?

Back to reviewing!

AG119-This episode was just pretty standard in my opinion, and should't the ribbon cup at least be put under super hard-core guarding in the first place? The outcome was pretty much what everyone expects, not too special of an episode. 7/10

AG121-First of all, I'm very happy that the Grand Festival started, with the return of Harley and Drew. Showcasing all the other coordinators May met along the journey was pretty cool too. One thing that made me wonder is that since there are 200-something people who have 5 ribbons, isn't that too much contests held in a single region? Anyway, this episode was a very nice pre-main event episode. 9/10

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom