• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S08 EP33: Saved by the Beldum ・ EP34: From Brags to Riches

I could definately feel the energy of the pokemon involved in the battle...

and I really loved Jump's acting as well...

"okay okay okay..."

"aw man..."

he reminds me of a stoner or something...

Does anyone know who provided his voice, it sounded like Morrison's voice, drunk?

EDIT: I noticed Nurse Joy said three double battle rounds. I thought there were only two, Ash vs Dominic and Ash vs Harry Potter Clone.

Did anyone else notice that characters referred to the Hoenn league as a "Contest?"

When Morrison was late to register, Brock said he'd almost miss the Contest. Later on, another character also said "The Contest" will begin soon, or something like that.

Considering there are "real" Contests now (May's goal), it really is confusing to hear 4kids refer to the Hoenn league as a contest.

I'd almost consider it a slip up if "Contest" in the anime didn't have two meanings now. Just really odd to see Hoenn league matches referred to as "The Contest will begin soon!"

Guess 4kids still had the Grand Festival on the mind when dubbing these episodes eh?

Yes, Morrisson was from Verdanturf town in the original. I heard "Shidake". Glad they got that part.

Tyson's from Mauville, I believe... (they haven't said it yet, but next time we see him they will).

Also, what's with everyone's obsession with the guy in next week's episode looking like Harry Potter? He doesn't look a thing like him and it'd be silly if they made a reference.

Wonder what dub name they'll give Kaede... probably Katie since it hasn't been used yet.

~Zak

Yes, but 4kids might thing Hyuuga resembles Harry Potter, I know Hyuuga is a conductor, but these are the people who think Meowth in Boots is a cowboy.

And it isn't as though he is the only Harry Potter lookalike:
r8vv41.jpg

No offense, but that barely looks like Harry. Hyuuga, however, I'm convinced the animators must of been somewhat inspired by Harry Potter. I wonder what Pokemon Harry Potter would have....

(Gets idea for cross-over fic)

033.jpg

harry-potter-main.jpg

Last edited:
What are you talking about? He's got the hair and everything.

And come to think of it, how many other non-recurring characters wear glasses?

I guess he looks a little like Harry, but Hyuuga looks way closer.

But you got me their, I don't know anyone but Max and Professor. Elm who wears glasses.

I noticed Nurse Joy said three double battle rounds. I thought there were only two, Ash vs Dominic and Ash vs Harry Potter Clone.

Yep Ash does need to win three double battles in order to make it to the top 32. (256/2 = 128, 128/2 = 64, 64/2 = 32) It's just that the dumb japanese writers decided to totally skip over one of them without even a mention -_-. The only real big probem with the Hoenn league episodes, IMO.

FabuVinny said:
And it isn't as though he is the only Harry Potter lookalike:
r8vv41.jpg

Dude, none of them look anything like Harry Potter.

Anyway, I just saw the first episode, and the voice acting seemed really bad today for some reason. Morrison is basically King Kai (whose dubbed voice is one of the worst in DBZ), and Jump...God, I can't even describe it. Every line he delivered brought pain to my ears, and the dialogue he was given was the kind of crap you'd hear in a Chronicles episode. "Wow, this is sweeter than a candy cane!" Was that supposed to be funny?

I'll watch "Brags to Riches" tomorrow.

Scott85 said:
Did anyone else notice that characters referred to the Hoenn league as a "Contest?"

When Morrison was late to register, Brock said he'd almost miss the Contest. Later on, another character also said "The Contest" will begin soon, or something like that.

Considering there are "real" Contests now (May's goal), it really is confusing to hear 4kids refer to the Hoenn league as a contest.

I'd almost consider it a slip up if "Contest" in the anime didn't have two meanings now. Just really odd to see Hoenn league matches referred to as "The Contest will begin soon!"

Guess 4kids still had the Grand Festival on the mind when dubbing these episodes eh?

Hah, you should've seen the fourth Gym in the norwegian dub. The translator mut've gotten drunk or something, as the gym battle was constantly being referred to as a contest battle, and Flannery is apparantly a "Contest Leader". ...yeah. Bad dub.

Unregistered said:
It's best for it to be skipped rather than to see a rushed match.
Indeed, what's worse is that we didn't get to see Tyson's first double battle, nor did we see Morrison's second one. I actually wouldn't have minded rushed battles, it's always good to see what they face.

~Zak

Dogasu said:
Dude, none of them look anything like Harry Potter.
rbkyyu.jpg

Come on, am I the only one who sees a little resemblance?

On the issue of glasses, I have found two other characters so far, but both are significant enough to have their own character design: DJ Mary (Game character) and Hitomi (Movie character).

I'm about ready to *kill* Morrison... Seriously, I was watching it in the kitchen, and my mom's all, "who's that obnoxious redhead"?

And it was weird to see a Persian doing anything at first. Guess that's because most of the time we've seen Persian on the anime, he's busy licking himself. But it was still one of the coolest battles on the show, the one between Persian and Tyson's Meowth (I wonder if the writers realize that they're reusing names?)

I really LOVED both episodes this time around, but i had no idea that a Persian could learn Water Pulse. What is Metang supposed to be becuase thats bugging me now. Anyway I was dissappointed to not see Tyson's first 2-v-2 but I'd definately want to see what he went against. Anyway here's to hopeing The next two are as good as these two were.

FabuVinny said:
On the issue of glasses, I have found two other characters so far, but both are significant enough to have their own character design: DJ Mary (Game character) and Hitomi (Movie character).
Mmmm, Birch's-lab-assistant!Josh...Spectacled goodness.

Wait, what was the topic?

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom