• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S08 EP35: Shocks and Bonds ・ EP36: A Judgment Brawl

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 129: "To the Tournament Finals! The Daily Hot Battles"
American Episode 399: "Shocks and Bonds"

0512.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
The Hoenn League continues as our heroes advance through the final rounds! Can our heroes defeat Clark and Katie?

Then, immediately after:

Japanese Episode AG 130: "And...The Battle that Can't Be Lost Continues!!"
American Episode 400: "A Judgment Brawl"

0519.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:30am ET
The battles continue as Dogasu is too lazy to actually go back and look up what happens in this episode.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

Shocks and Bonds:
Ash's total battle time was 21 seconds, as was Tyson's. ....No way.

And I'm about to say Clark was voiced by Darren Dunstan. It certainly sounded like him most of the time, if not sounding like a child Pegasus (which existed, and I don't think sounded like that). And what? "The Destruction of Ash"? When did the writers get so passive agressive? Sheesh, how that's for poor melodrama. And the cheerleaders think that makes him cool. Harry Potter he may look like, he dun match up to the real thing....not that there's much to that.

Love the battle with Katie. Disable, Destiny Bond, the return of Dugtrio. Actual pokemon substituting!

And ooo, I heard it. Glalie = Dan Green. Not surprising.

Wait, did that commercial just call the Frontier Brains the ELITE FOUR?
"--and it all leads up to the Elite Four challange."

THERE ARE SEVEN OF THEM! CAN YOU TWITS NOT COUNT?

Edit: What the hell, this episode actually deserves a rating.
7.5/10

....Same are before. No second episode review.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that commercial for a long time. Perhaps not since Advanced Battle began. I thought I would never see it again. I guess they really are stupid.

Anyway, I have been waiting for this moment for a long time now...Sceptile's first anime appearance. It's voice is not what I expected. Also, they just can't resist making them run down to the last pokemon with each other, can they? I hope Ash gets Morrison to pull himself together. This is something that he has understood ever since he faced Richie in the Indigo Plateau. I thought Morrison was stronger than that.

4Kids really, really, really pushed the conducter thing. Or was that there in the original? o.o

When Katie sent out Walerin and Ash only had Swellow, Grovyle, and an exhausted Corphish left I said aloud "Ash is so screwed. Let's see how he'll overcome these impossible odds!" XD

Tricking Walerin into freezing the pool and Corphish Tarzan-ing the icicles was good creative thinking.

Yes, Clark was a conductor in the orginal, I don't know if they used as much puns though. He had a good voice (slightly british...hmm, I wonder) and is probably my second favorite Hoenn League Minor character, next to Jump!

I thought how May said "He's like a movie star!" was funny, as he does resemble a certain british actor...

Well, yeah, of course Ash would come up with a good way to win it.

He always does. ^^

And I love that about him. XD

Misty said:
Dogasu?

Hottest pic of Ash. EVER.
I agree with you, Misty!!

Ash was soooooo hot in that pic!!!! ^_^

*drools*

And by the way everyone, my reviews of these episodes will come a bit later (but not too late, like I was that one time, lol).

Err.. the Elite four challenge IS the Battle Frontier... o_O The elite four pick a trainer.. That's probably what Agatha says to ash.. *spoiler* o_O;; and Agatha's a memebr of the elite 4. XD

Anyways. I liked these episodes. Errr. *thinks of something to say* Ta da? XD

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
The pizza didn't look right. Was that added in, or was that in the original?
I know! I looked it up on both Serebii and Filb, but it really was there in the original! How odd.

The shop said 'Piz" in Tajirian, haha!

Yeah, it looked odd too me too.

LOL, Habunake. XD

Yeah, after taping that episode, I paused it there, and almost right away I noticed that the shop's sign said 'Piz' in Tajiran (lol).

Heh, my first thought was that they were trying to spell out pizza, but they ran out of space. XD

And yeah, I agree about the pizza though, it did look out of place. So for a while there, I wasn't sure if that was in the Japanese version or not.

But, anyway, it's interesting that it was indeed in the original version. ^^

And now that I'm done talking about that, here's my reviews. XD

"Shocks and Bonds"

This was a very good episode. And as the Hoenn League continues, it seems like each episode just keeps getting better and better. Oh, and Clark *does* look a lot like Harry Potter. Heh, I'm glad they didn't call him Harry. XD Anyway, I can't think of much else to say about this episode, other than Ash's battle was good and so were the other two battles that we got to see. And overall, this was a great episode, with some awesome battles in it.

Rating: 5 out of 5

"A Judgment Brawl"

Wow! This was a really good episode. Ash's battle with Katie was very exciting. And it was cool to see Destiny Bond in the anime. I was wondering how they'd pull that move off. Anyway, during the part where everyone was having a day off from battling, I loved all the cute little scenes with Ash and Morrison. They were great! And I also liked the song they used there, "You And Me And Pokemon". That's one of my favorite songs!! Oh, and of it course, when Morrison found out that he's gonna battle Ash next, that was really sad. I felt sorry for him. It's kinda weird though. I mean, in the Pokemon world, you can have a great friend and rival and stuff, but if you ever have to battle against them in a huge tournament, I guess that would take a lot out of you. It must be really hard for someone to do that. Anyway, I liked the way Brock explained that to Ash. That was cool. And as for the beginning of Ash and Morrison's battle, it started out great (well, for Ash, anyway). But, poor Morrison. I don't know how he's gonna be able to get through this battle. He likes being friends with Ash, and his rival. So it's gonna be really hard for him to get it together, and at least try to win this battle. Although, he has to put up some kinda fight, or else Ash will beat him really fast and Morrison won't stand a chance.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Last edited:
You have to wonder how much of a n00b Katie is when she gets defeated because the presence of Ice prevents her from continuing with her strategy for her Ice Break Pokémon.

ZoraJolteon said:
You have to wonder how much of a n00b Katie is when she gets defeated because the presence of Ice prevents her from continuing with her strategy for her Ice Break Pokémon.

I can't wait to see this ep so I can watch someone with the same name as a girl I liked at one time (except with a different spelling) get schooled by Ash. Even though I'd rather do it myself. Happy Ness vs. Walrein in a battle of Water and Ice types.

Just like to say that I'm not really impressed with the Hoenn League so far.Hell,the Silver Conference is looking better right now,and that IS NOT A GOOD THING.The only good battles so far have been in the inaugural Hoenn League episode,and the Katie/Ash episode.(which was good,but I wouldn't say it was 'great') And OMG,the way Morrison reacted when he found out he had to battle Ash felt WAY too contrived.I know this is Pokemon,but goddamn.

I really hope the Hoenn League gets better towards the end...

That's funny, because I think the Hoenn league is quite good.

Instead of only focusing on Ash, we're seeing full battles devoted to Morrison and Tyson. Instead of Ash relying on his reserves, he's using his Hoenn team the full way.

And instead of having generic rivals with no real personality to speak of (Richie/Harrison), Morrison and Tyson are actually fleshed out and interesting characters.

If the Hoenn league was only an episode or two longer, this would have been the perfect league.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom