• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S09 EP01: Fear Factor Phony ・ EP02: Sweet Baby James

Am I honestly the the only one who sees the pointlessness of having scribbles on signs? I mean, aren't signs supposed to read?

Actually, I don't know why Dogasu didn't mention the fact that in dub they silenced scene, in which originally played music, while next two scenes which are silenced in original were replaced with music in dub.
And, I'm sure they really cutted out that 1 sec in "To be continued" screen, which is ridiculous, while they do inverse in Sweet Baby James, when they stopped last shot in these episode and kept it static for next 2 seconds. Really ridiculous:thumbd:

Am I the only one who sees how much it is of a waste of money and time to erase scribbles, that as many people point out are barely noticeable?

Justin, not everyone uses the scribbles as an example of "bad dubbing", I just think it's inane.

Most other companies, if the sign is in Japanese, change it to English, or leave it in Japanese if it is the background.

Personally, to me it didn't matter. It's the people who use that on your site as examples of how the dub sucks.

His site is simply to point of the differences, and I think his comparison of this is unbiased (and true...)

There was one mistake in that comparison, and it was this:
"It's funny, really; I never knew that the word 'promise' meant 'an unidentified PUSA employee of unknown rank made what was probably an off-hand comment to a webmaster of a Pokémon fansite.' I guess Webster's has some revising to do."
It wasn't stated in private, despite what Pokebeach said; you can actually hear in the Comicon panel recording he posted that it was publicly stated by Lawrence Neves, who works with PUSA and is the editorial director of Pokemon.com.

- Shift from Serebii, Dogasu it was publically announced, not just some secret to WPM.

Isn't supposedly Lawrence was the guy who made the "Seviper/Arbok" thing?

(of course, so I've heard. I also heard that he started doing the Trainer Choices AFTER that mistake happened, and because of it.)

He also wrote that Pokemon.com article following the reaction to the first Mastermind dub.

I noticed that as well, you did that in your comparison of the "Pokemon Tower" episode as well...

What's up? Isn't Haunter Ghost in Japan, while Gengar is Gengar?

Another suggestion for comparions Dogasu if when Japanese music is kept can you tell us what pieces like you did for that one, I like reading them when their in depth. Because I always thought this one piece was Japanese made, but I found it was 4Kids, and was shocked O_O

Pokemaster Justin said:
There was one mistake in that comparison, and it was this:
"It's funny, really; I never knew that the word 'promise' meant 'an unidentified PUSA employee of unknown rank made what was probably an off-hand comment to a webmaster of a Pokémon fansite.' I guess Webster's has some revising to do."

It wasn't stated in private, despite what Pokebeach said; you can actually hear in the Comicon panel recording he posted that it was publicly stated by Lawrence Neves, who works with PUSA and is the editorial director of Pokemon.com.

- Shift from Serebii, Dogasu it was publically announced, not just some secret to WPM.

I had forgotten about that Comic Con conference, but I believe they just said that they'd keep the "original" music (I don't remember the exact wording, and WPM's taken the audio file off his site). Original doesn't necessarily mean "Japanese"...he could have been talking about the original dub music. Y'know, the stuff 4Kids produced.

Or, maybe in his mind, keeping three pieces of music per episode is the same thing as "keeping the Japanese music." They never said they'd keep ALL the Japanese music.

Carrieattheprom said:
Hey Dogasu you made a mistake in your comparison:

The giant ghost was a Haunter, not a Gengar.

Whoops ^^;; I'll have to edit that with my next update.

Unusual thing, they don't even kept Pokedex' sound. I hope we would get it... today.

I think what we have to remember is that they have already dubbed a bunch of episodes and have made edit to them, it won't be for another many episodes before we see PUSA taking our comments into account

Wow, I just rewatched this episode since I bought the Battle Frontier DVD boxset, and it was a really great episode.

I think "Fear Factor Phony" was one of this sagas best fillers. I loved seeing all those psychic and ghost pokemon, and Wobbufett falling in love with Kirlia was hilarious.

Its really interesting looking back at this season now that so much time has passed, I still think PUSA did a good job overall.

I can't wait to watch the rest of the boxset.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom