• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S09 EP01: Fear Factor Phony ・ EP02: Sweet Baby James

wow I'm such a loser I was comparing the fanfare to the old episode intro and even with the new title card the old music just has that "hit" to it that's awesome...blah it's only 4 seconds long, but I love that piece.

Before any more tagents go off Eric Stuart would have dubbed this episode good, give him some slack he's very talented and with a piece like this episode he would have proved some people wrong.

I do like PUSA's insert song though ^_^

I don't like the new opening song "Battle Frontier" at all. "Advanced Battle" may have not been on the level of Beethoven or Mozart, but its energy never failed to excite me for the show. "Battle Frontier" really has no life or vigor in it......it really sounds more like a background piece, not a title theme.

The butchering of "Spurt!" to accompany it made it even worse.

I haven't seen PUSA really do anything yet, but when they do I will catch them on it.

Hypocritical, but not surprising.

Gengar: "Go, ARBOK!!"

I've also made a rather interesting discovery. All the anti-4Kids people constantly whine about their precious Japanese culture not being in the dub. But think back a little----remember that Giovanni's Japanese VA passed away recently? I've discovered that it is apparently considered VERY poor business conduct in Japan to replace one voice actor with another. So there's a huge piece of Japanese culture, in fact one that actually affects the quality of show---respect for the original actors---that is absent. Where's the criticism of that part of Japanese culture being cut out?

People, if you want to debate about the episode, do so. If you want to debate about the state of culture in America, go to the debate forum. This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood admin.

People, if you want to debate about the episode, do so. If you want to debate about the state of culture in America, go to the debate forum. This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood admin.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't delete all of those completely irrelevant posts...

And Jonouchi, I'm hoping that you posted at the same time as Barb and therefore didn't see her post, judging by the one-minute time difference...otherwise my reaction to your post would be quite different.

I can't believe all of this popped up so quickly.

You're the mod here, Alex. Delete the posts as you see fit. I only posted because this discussion was getting way off-topic.

Wow it's a warzone in here. Anyway I saw half of the episode via Youtube, only cos the first half played the first few seconds and then claimed it was finished ¬_¬ I've heard enough to give my opinion.

Ash: Is ok, but like others said he lacks enthusiasm. Tolerable, I could live with it
Brock: Not much change from the special for me anyway, but I was ok with that voice.

May: At times sounded like Misty to me 0_0 I liked her, she's fine

Max: Changed from the special, not in a good way. Eh it's still Max, I hate him anyway

Jessie: I liked her, no problems here

Meowth: hmm I dunno, he's ok still kinda reminds me of the first few eps Meowth

James: This one I'm not sure. One second he's 100% perfect for me (when he yells at Jessie/Meowth before the battle | One line in the scene with May | another one line when he catches Jess with the Oddish..), the next I feel my ears starting to bleed like with the special.. can't this guy make up his mind with what he's doing? To me he 80% of the time sounds awful, somebody said he's like he has a headcold and that's the best comparison I've seen so far. Look Jimmy/Bill, whatever your name is, if you can't do the perfect Season 5-8 James (ahaha perfect) ok perfect imitation then don't try. Yes Eric Stuart for me would of butchered this up too, but at least I don't cringe almost everytime he spoke. Some of his lines were awful too, damn writers "oh I must be regressing to my childhood and wanted to play with the pokemon" - God it was only 5 min ago but I've already forgotten the specific line *shudder* "it's too late for a midnight snack" ok pusa so far for James you're not funny, Jessie/Meowth had some good lines though. I really hope he improves, I had high expectations for the Mime Jr capture scene after reading everyone elses comments and they were slaughtered to death with a pick axe in no time at all, and I was waiting most of the time for Youtube to stream it. I find it weird in the clips with TR in, James' voice was fine.. I feel like I've been tricked, I really do.

Mime Jr: Adorable but still I prefer Manene

Anyway..

Marill said:
can't this guy make up his mind with what he's doing? To me he 80% of the time sounds awful, somebody said he's like he has a headcold and that's the best comparison I've seen so far.
That's exactly what I thought on hearing James's voice as well as Ash's. I didn't mind their new voices so much, but as others have noted, there was so little emotion in their voices that it turned me off.

I think part of the reason for that is because they're still too new to the roles. If James' VA had had more time to get comfortable with the character he probably would have done a much better job.

Is anybody else dying with curiosity over how Butch is going to sound?(since he was the most hated of the 4kids voices)

I had seen the Japanesse version to the ending of this episode over on youtube. I think they song they used(Smile, right?) sounded better than the song PUSA used. It just seemed more "sad" to me for some reason. PUSA's song was okay, but I felt they could've done something a bit more emotional.

That, combined with the preformances of the actors, lessened the impact for me. With the Japanesse version I teared up a little. In this version, while I still felt sorry for James, I wasn't nearly as moved.

I always tear up at Kojiro losing Chirin (can't remember the Japanese name), one line from James almost made me but the voice once again switched the cringeworthy and ruined it.

That's exactly what I thought on hearing James's voice as well as Ash's. I didn't mind their new voices so much, but as others have noted, there was so little emotion in their voices that it turned me off.
I can see the uproar with Ash's I really can, with me I'm not so bothered as I'm not a fan. I just don't understand how anyone can like James' performance throughout the episode, he nailed it a few times but the rest, bleh.

Though I was very pleased when they kept the old "ready/your turn twerp - ok/you got it", I thought it was funny Ash responded to that :p

Has anyone mentioned that these two episodes were unedited? Like you could take the dub audio and match it to the JP video and it's mesh perfectly because nothing was cut. No? Well I think we can also start to see UNEDITED videos now as well as a tighter script to the original.
Though it's going to be many episodes before we see any change in the voices since they usually dub a few episodes at a time.

I honestly feel that all this uproar is because people have been fed garbage all this time and they don't know when they are being fed filet mingnon.

Has anyone mentioned that these two episodes were unedited? Like you could take the dub audio and match it to the JP video and it's mesh perfectly because nothing was cut. No? Well I think we can also start to see UNEDITED videos now as well as a tighter script to the original.
Though it's going to be many episodes before we see any change in the voices since they usually dub a few episodes at a time....

Man I wish I had all those 4 second time cuts in the old series...they really need to release unedited DVDs......

I honestly feel that all this uproar is because people have been fed garbage all this time and they don't know when they are being fed filet mingnon.

Calling the 4kids version "garbage" is being way too harsh. Now I admit you could say that about their other dubs(Yugioh and One Piece come to mind) but not Pokemon. Yes there were stupid paint edits and yes seconds were cut off. But other than that Pokemon got off easy.

PUSA seems to love stupid lines as much as 4kids anyway. What was with Jesse's "Head handed to you by a homie" line all about? Truth be told it made me cringe. Isn't it just as stupid as any of the lines 4kids has come up with?

That was Meowth's line.......

HEAD HANDED TO YOU BY A HOMIE MOTHA*****!

Has anyone mentioned that these two episodes were unedited? Like you could take the dub audio and match it to the JP video and it's mesh perfectly because nothing was cut.

I mentioned. But everyone was like "lat's wait until Dogasu confirms it".

And you know, Usotsuki already did it ^^

BTW, my friends who got dual-audio OGMs said "it's not we were looking for" and wanted "real" CN cap, due to lack of PUSA's opening... :banghead:

Dogasu's comparison is up. Like I knew it 4Kids lite, without the 8 year talent...but hey you get the scribbles, and 4 seconds here and there.

I knew I was going to leave that comparison either staisfied or fuming and I am quite happy. He missed the whole point of the Comic Con issue but other than that it was very reasonable. Well, there's calling removing the scribbles a ridiculous edit but that seems to be shared by a large portion of the fandom and I think it's ridiculous that it was left in so PUSA really can't win on that one.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom