• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S10 EP38: One Big Happiny Family!

Trainer Lisa

LOVED IchibanCon
Reaction score
In this episode, Brock's Pokemon egg hatches into a Happiny.

Aww, how cute! ^^

And yes, that's really all I know about this episode, lol. XD!!

It also has a reference to a Johto Episode and Jessie's backstory.

Yeah, the same one no one remembered.

Oh, I love that episode!! ^_^

What do you mean no one remembered it? How could anyone forget "Ignorance is Blissey". LOL. XD!!

There was A LOT of main character abuse for Ash in that episode. Aww, the Poor guy. ^^;

Last edited:
Have I mentioned how much I despise that "Fall Is Just Something that Grownups Invented" song? Because it's horrible, not to mention furthering the stereotype that kids should hate school.

Happ-EE-nee? I've been saying it as HAPP-in-ee.

Boy, Cycling Road sure is deserted.

The violin piece seems to be set up badly. I'd have started it when Joy started talking rather than when Ash and Dawn introduce themselves. And is that scene parodying something? Or is it just general melodrama?

Dammit, stupid bumpers. If I wanted to see a fat Luchadore during Pokemon, I'd wait until Crasher Wake shows up.

"Doesn't look like there're any towels in here!" Oh yeah, like she really did a complete check of the room.

So...why do they *need* towels and hot water? It's not a live birth, and all the egg births they've ever seen have been completely dry. Sure he gives it a bath, but why did they need *hot* water for that?

Wait, did they actually just show a clip from a previous episode? Holy crap!

Wobby as Blissey! That's awesome.

Brock just happens to have a stone polisher with him? I'm reminded of Rescue Rangers... "Do you ALWAYS carry a glass cutter with you?" "No, just when I want to cut glass."

JAMES HAS A ROSE. He hasn't had one in ages, has he?

Wow, Wobby can jump pretty high. One would think it could only get a few inches off the ground.

LOL chin puppet Wobby.

So, will people complain about a newly-hatched Happiny pwning a Seviper and juggling Brock like they complained about May's Squirtle?

"Can't wait to see the Hearthome Gym!" YEAH, NO KIDDING.

XD Happiny. The part near the end is pretty good.

Meowth: This is a reality show.

Me likey "WOE IS MEEEE" Joy. <3

And for a moment when they said "I'll get the boiling water" I cried a bit inside until I realized that's to warm the baby.

Happiny proves it will NOT be Togepi round 2....thank goodness.

You can really see how everything they do nowadays tries to avoid past mistakes, Togepi became so boring because it never did anything, Happiny at least looks full of energy and is kept in a Pokeball to boot.

Nice to see Happiny avoid our fears of being another boring Togepi clone, god knows this show doesn't need another one of those.

Also nice to see Dawn not give a damn about Ash frying her bike, I'm glad that running gag is also good as dead.

And lol @ Dawn riding a bike. Just lol.

That violin scene was in the original, and it's played in quite a few episodes (usually in more joking scenes), so I think it's supposed to be melodramatic.

So, will people complain about a newly-hatched Happiny pwning a Seviper and juggling Brock like they complained about May's Squirtle?
Hey, but it's just for humour and it's not winning contests or anything. I do wonder if the writers have ever watched Flintstones though.

1. Well, this is my first time seeing an "emo" Nurse Joy, but I'm certainly glad she lightened up.
2. I remember that episode. "Ignorance is Blissey" right? Personally, I can't believe she still has that thing.
3. I've never seen everyone go to that much trouble for an egg. It used to just hatch right in the case, right?
4. I wonder where Brock got that grinder.
5. "When did Happiny learn to pump up?" When indeed. Just look at it go.

Happ-EE-nee? I've been saying it as HAPP-in-ee.

Me too. I always liked that way better!

Doesn't it get uncomfortable riding a bike with THAT short a skirt?

I could have sworn it was pronounced Happ short I Nee, not Hap bean ee, but I guess that's how it really sounds.

Have I mentioned how much I despise that "Fall Is Just Something that Grownups Invented" song? Because it's horrible, not to mention furthering the stereotype that kids should hate school.

heh, I agree. The last thing kids need these days is their favorite network telling them that school is a conspiracy by older people to imprison them...

Anyway, the episode...

Wobbublissey. I'm pretty sure hardcore pokemon wifi-ers heads exploded when they saw that. Two of the most annoying pokemon... TOGETHER? oh snap :O

and what the heck is Croagunk's problem? There was no reason for Brock to be jabbed this time. Nurse Joy practically welcomed Brock with her gratitude. I know it's a schtick, but jeez. I have a feeling Brock is going to snap one day, and start ripping people's ears off and jabbing them after coating his hand in some sort of toxin.

oh yeah, and Happiny is kinda adorable.

Aww!

This was a very cute episode!

Brock's Happiny is so adorable!! :kawaii:

And I liked how the writers showcased Cycling Road from the games, and allowed Ash, Brock, and Dawn to rent those bikes. Also, during the beginning scene, they used one of my favorite BGM pieces! ^_^

They also played some of my favorite 4Kids songs! That's awesome!

And now, Ash finally finds out that Pikachu accidentally destroyed Dawn's bike. He's probably thinking to himself, "Aww, not again! Not another bike having been fried!". XD

And wow, Ash's hand got burnt while he was boiling the water. Aww, poor Ash. ^^;

Woah, what was that BGM they played when Pikachu used Volt Tackle against Team Rocket's Pokemon? I've never heard it before. I've also never heard the song they used at the end of the episode....

And now for my review of the voices.

I have to say, Brock's VA did an excellent job in this episode! I thought Brock's voice sounded great!

And all the other voices were awesome too, except for Sarah....

I was really hoping Sarah's Ash voice would sound good in this episode, like it was in the previous 2 episodes. But nope, that wasn't the case this time. It seems Sarah's back to giving her usual, below average performance. She's also having that inconsistency problem again.

Also, I noticed another problem. It sounded to me like Sarah was simply reading the script with this episode. Seriously, she had like, only a few good lines and that was it. I mean, none of her lines had enough emotion! Ash sounded very dull and un-excited throughout the whole episode! This was especially obvious during the scene at the end, when Ash talked about how he "can't wait to get to the Hearthome Gym". That nearly killed me, how unemotional those lines were. X_X

Oh come on, Sarah! I know you could've done better than THAT!

Well anyway, I hope to god that Sarah improves and does an amazing, fantastic job with the next episode! I'm really looking forward to "Steamboat Willies"!

And I don't wanna be disappointed because Sarah yet again, couldn't be consistent, can't give Ash emotion, or make him seem like a real person. So for the next episode, I hope to see a major improvement in Sarah, with at least one of those areas (if not all three).

Last edited:
There were also a lot of goofy facial expressions in this episode. The animation team seemed to be having fun making TR look psychotic during most of the ep, James and Jessie had some seriously cartoony expressions going on.

Doesn't it get uncomfortable riding a bike with THAT short a skirt? .

Not to mention her skirt was basically riding up her whole leg in that scene. You would think D/P 1 was pushing it, but this ep showed the writers have no shame.

There were also a lot of goofy facial expressions in this episode. The animation team seemed to be having fun making TR look psychotic during most of the ep, James and Jessie had some seriously cartoony expressions going on.

Not to mention her skirt was basically riding up her whole leg in that scene. You would think D/P 1 was pushing it, but this ep showed the writers have no shame.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of the next episode. Dawn has a very breif pantyish shot that all the fanboys loved. It was breif and only for a second, but gifs popped up the next day with that scene for weeks.

Woah, what was that BGM they played when Pikachu used Volt Tackle against Team Rocket's Pokemon? I've never heard it before. I've also never heard the song they used at the end of the episode....

It's a piece from the Jiraachi movie, if I'm thinking of the right piece. I only caught the end of it, so I'm not entirely sure, but it's a short piece, so I'm just assuming.

I REALLY enjoyed this episode a lot. I thought everything was great about it, and the amount of BGM they keeped in the first half! Almost every piece! I know that they didn't do that great during the second half, but it was still cool. They keeped the last piece also.

I thought the voices were really awesome and I found the plot to be funny while being intriguing at the same time. I just got sucked into this episode for whatever reason. I also loved the animation, even though I rarely like the animation other than Iwane's episodes.

I loved it! :DDD

So as for Happiny, it seems we finally have Emily Jenness voicing a Pokemon (and no, she doesn't voice Staravia; she said so herself.) In some spots it didn't so too good, but she had her moments. Far better than Piplup's ever been...

I just wish they could spring for VAs other than the main cast members to voice some Pokemon. Sure, after Combusken and Bonsly, Bill Rogers has my vote, but even he can only do so many, and the others aren't exactly versatile (Jimmy Zoppi...) Even in the days of Eric Stuart voicing 2/3rds of every single Pokemon, and even while Lillis and Blaustine put in some voices too, they at least had other VAs who didn't necessarily have a main character to play at the time; Kayzie Rogers (those clips can't quite capture Wobbuffet's spirit...), and Cacnea and Seviper had unique VAs. But just as a guess, they could probably just pull them in from doing another 4Kids show to get them say a Pokemon's name over and over real quick, while TAJ doesn't exactly have that luxery, so that might be a reason. In any case, it can get real old, real fast (again, Billy Beach...)

Oh, and Happiny's pronunciation sounds like Dratini.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I also liked the animation! It was so awesome in this episode! ^_^

It's a piece from the Jiraachi movie, if I'm thinking of the right piece. I only caught the end of it, so I'm not entirely sure, but it's a short piece, so I'm just assuming.
Ah, okay.

That sounds cool! ^^

And I'm glad they kept a lot of BGM this time! Yay! :-D

I just wish they could spring for VAs other than the main cast members to voice some Pokemon.
I agree with you, Pitch.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but personally, I don't think the new VAs have been doing that great a job with voicing the older Pokemon. Their versions of older Pokemon just don't sound the same.

Of course, everyone knows how I feel about the original cast, so I guess that was needless for me to say. XD

And by the way, I noticed Sarah pronounced Pokemon wrong in this episode. O.O

I thought that was really weird....

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom