• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S10 EP44: Mass Hip-Po-Sis!

Trainer Lisa

LOVED IchibanCon
Reaction score
Ash saves a Hippopotas.

And that's all I know about this episode. XD

Last edited:
Oops...

You're right.

I made a typo, cause I was in a hurry. ^^;

I'll fix it.

I liked how they kept the joke that Jessie couldn't remember the name, because that's quite true of the fanbase as well.

But really? Is Hippopotas that hard to remember?

"Ash's challenge at the Hearthome City Gym will have to wait a bit longer"--NO SHIT IT WILL.

Ash introduces himself as being from Pallet Town. It's bad enough when he does that to humans, but really now, does he expect a random wild pokemon to know where the hell that is?

Hip-po-po-TAS eh?

Wait a second...aren't Hippopotas supposed to be quite heavy? *looks up* Yeah, it weighs over 100 lbs! And Ash is able to pick it up with one hand...and then Team Rocket's able to rope it in by the TAIL.

So, Meowth's insanity is rubbing off on James, isn't it? Although I notice that the Hawaiian Shirt from Evolution Solution hasn't been forgotten.

...wait, now Ash is wearing a hundred pound creature on his HEAD?

But then, that really scrawny guy is carrying Jack fireman style, so...

...wait what? A Life Alert commercial during POKEMON? A product marketed to SENIORS?

Hey! Japanese text!

"I hate sand in my boots!" ---ok, you all know what *my* mind summoned up. And that's really really scary.

When it's in the box, does Hippopotas look *smaller* to anyone else?

I always found it ironic that a pokemon based on a hippo--a creature that spends most of its time in water--can't stand water.

"Get ready for trouble!" "Make it double!" "HEEY NO FAIR!" lol

"I want a script change!" "Be careful what you wish for!" "Dere'll call Cassidy!"

What kind of desert is that? You can see a thick forest no matter how deep you go into it!

I always found it ironic that a pokemon based on a hippo--a creature that spends most of its time in water--can't stand water.
That's probably the whole point...

A very entertaining episode. Rhonda got revenge on the mike guy even if he was asleep.

I loved the twerps using the beginning of the old motto and I loved James making the comment of stealing their old lines. Speaking of mottoes, did anyone less laugh out loud as James not only imitated Jessie' lines but manipulated her unconscious body as well.

Yeah, I don't why they made a Ground-type out of a water creature either. And I don't get why Ash's head didn't snap off carrying it. And I've always pronounced it Hip-po-pot-os (wrong yet again).

So, Dawn dreams about contests. Perhaps she should put more waking hours into them.

This ep was awesome. The crazy Sinnoh Now crew, Jessie falling asleep during the motto, angry Ash and co. copying the old motto. I wonder how Dawn was able to tell Ash to be careful when she was still asleep. And stand on her own for that matter. Unchanged JP text. Bui diving into the water with its arms crossed. DP just keeps the awesomeness coming.

EDIT: Dawn was awake seconds later, so I guess she really wasn't asleep then.

Overall it was a fun episode, I liked Rhonda's scenes she is amusing to watch! I just can't understand how Ash was able to carry the hippo so easily... Another thing at the end of the episode Ash threw an Apple type fruit at it but where did he get it from?

This was an AWESOME episode! I loved it! ^_^

As for your question, beast, I'm guessing Ash took an extra fruit from that tree (near the beginning of the episode). And then he put it in his backpack or something.

I find it amazing too, that Ash was able to carry that Hippopotas on his head like that. Either Ash's head is pretty strong (lol), or that particular Hippopotas was a bit lighter than normal Hippopotas.

Anyway, this episode had everything. Ash saving a Pokemon twice (yay!), and making friends with it. Ash without his shirt on (he was really HOT in that scene!). :-D

Team Rocket blasted off multiple times.

Rhonda and the Sinnoh Now TV crew appeared.

The Japanese text was fully kept on that sign (wow! That surprised me!).

Also, Dawn, Brock, and Ash were each put to sleep by Hippopotas' Yawn attack (yay!).

And of course, I enjoyed the music, since it was mostly 4Kids BGM! ^^

So overall, this was a really good episode, indeed.

By the way, I've been pronouncing Hippopotas wrong as well, apparently. O.O

And I kinda wanted Ash to catch that Hippopotas, especially after he became so close with it. They were so cute together! I wonder why the writers wanted everyone to think Ash would catch it, only for Hippopotas to go back and stay with its friends.

Last edited:
So am I the only one who understands the whole point of creative-irony that Hippopotas is suppose to be? Is it really that odd they made a Ground Hippo? I mean, we saw a Turtle who shot leafs and an Electric Mouse in this episode. I'm sure a Hippo, which often spend time in mud, being a ground type isn't that crazy.

And beast...uh, you do realize that's a different Sarah in your sig link...right?

Then why not make it another Water-Ground Pokemon (which Pokemon based on mud dwelling creatures usually are) and why make it need DRY sand?

My only guess is that it's based on those those movable sandboxes shaped like animals.

Have some of you forgotten how Ash in late BF was capable of carrying, running with and throwing a goddamn tree log?
A hippo on his head is nothing in comparison =P

Hehe.

That's true, Chatsy. XD!!

Ash is amazing! And I love how he's able to do just about anything! :crush:

I wonder if that could be the writers' way of making up for all the bad main character abuse they've given him recently (like in "The Electrike Company"). ^^

I liked this episode, but it wasn't great. I was half expecting them to just cut out all Japanese BGM entirely and I began to get very worried . . ^^; But really, four pieces of music kept, and they were all within the last ten minutes . . weird.

Team Rocket's Motto was hilarious! While not actually laughing, I couldn't get a smile off my face . . I'd have to see the Japanese version, I want to see how Miki portrays Musashi's voice! x)

...wait what? A Life Alert commercial during POKEMON? A product marketed to SENIORS?

This is news to you?

I haven't seen the ep this morning due to a Kickoff session for my Robotics Team, so I'll review when I see it. Looks fun, though. =)

By the way, I've been pronouncing Hippopotas wrong as well, apparently. O.O

And I kinda wanted Ash to catch that Hippopotas, especially after he became so close with it. They were so cute together! I wonder why the writers wanted everyone to think Ash would catch it, only for Hippopotas to go back and stay with its friends.

Apparently, I've been pronouncing it wrong too.

I wanted Ash to catch Hippopotas too! This was a serious letdown.

My favorite part was when Jessie fell asleep during the motto and James had to hold her up like a puppet. Reminds me of the "Dead Bodies" game from Whose Line is it Anyway. You know the one.

Have some of you forgotten how Ash in late BF was capable of carrying, running with and throwing a goddamn tree log?
A hippo on his head is nothing in comparison =P

Especially since it's probably an infant.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom