• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S10 EP47: Sandshrew's Locker! ・ EP48: Dawn's Early Night!

Jnoo

WTF?
Reaction score
This isn't up?

Shame Dawn lost the appeal round. I thought something like that would get her through.

Meh, I know what goes on the next contest, but she really needs to win.

(deleted my thread and defaulted to this one)

The Mira ep didn't seem too eventful, other than hearing a BGM from the first season. The Contest ep was great, lots of emotion. Dawn shows lots of potential, but she wasn't ready for this level of competition yet. Zoey really got a taste of humble pie as well. I hope Dawn does well in whatever her next contest is in Japan.

yay I'm so glad I could finally understand the contest ep! *saw the japanese ep before*

I'm really happy to see that Zoey complimented Nando and even said that him doing both contests and battles was admireable! see? She get's better! :I

Mira the Conniving Little Bitch finally hits the states. Granted the episode wasn't too exciting (and come on, Gyarados) but her sneakiness more than made up for it.

As for the contest episode, it reminded me why I hate contests. While the appeals were well animated, it just didn't appeal to me (no pun intended).

The intrumental that played during the underwater viewing of the town o_O was probably the first time I ever /really/ took notice of, not only a BGM change, but the BGM itself. It was the right kind of soulful sorrow for a scene like that.

Otherwise, I'm kind of disappointed Mira's episode wasn't anything like her actual game situation. The Sandshrew could easily have been encorporated into it. In retrospect, seeing two Kanto pogeys the objects of the episode's attention really hit that nostalgic feeling.

....I didn't like the nostalgia. I'm such a downer. :D

Nando's costume is...his regular outfit with a golden spaulder and an upgraded lyre. Bard's much not make that much. D: And Zoey's outfit changed from the original very-very-male one. This one definitely had that "Laura from Little House of the Prairie" feel, while still keeping the pants and the tails. o_O

Other than that....eh. Nothing much else to say. I did, find it funny how people were saying the episode's title was 'Dawn's Early Light' and instead turned out to be 'Dawn's Early Night'. XD; Even the cable info said Light. ...Night does make more sense. I like it better.

haha, I thought that Nando was just fancy that way and ALWAYS dressed like he was in a contest! XD

..i thought nostalgia was ALWAYS a good feeling, wtf XD;;
I did notice that there were mainly kanto pokemon too, and I loved it |D good times good times~

It was interesting to see Dawn lose the appeal round. In AG, not only did May always make it through, but all her rivals ALWAYS made it through too. Jessie was the only person who used to fail the appeals back then, and that's because she used to cheat.

It got to the point where appeals just felt like eye candy rather than part of the competition in AG, so now they're making them "harder" to get through.

Eh, aside from that, both Zoey and Nando were rather meh as usual, they just don't play off each other well. Its like they both have one quirk going for them and aside from that the writers have no idea what to do with them.

Its a sad day when Kenny is the only Contest rival I kinda like this gen. :/

The second episode kept a lot of Japanese music - I counted 13 (which would be a record over "A Gruff Act to Follow" which kept 11) but I get the feeling I'm off by 1 or 2 pieces. And the instrumental that played during the first episode (when everyone was exploring the underwater town) was really nice sounding.

I liked seeing Sandshrew again, and while Dawn losing sucks, it definitely shows how many twists this series has taken.

Yeah, the only thing that really stood out to me in these two episodes was the amount of BGM kept, especially in the second episode. I also counted 13, but I feel I could be off by 1 piece, and I don't know if I should count Naoshi's lyre music.

I also counted 13, but I feel I could be off by 1 piece, and I don't know if I should count Naoshi's lyre music.
The lyre music seems like it'd be more of a sound effect than an actual background track. Though, 4Kids replaced similar music in the past (like Anzu's ringtone in Yu-Gi-Oh!).

At this point, I'm just really hoping that PUSA keeps two pieces of music in the future: the Make a Wish instrumental that plays in DP54, and the really dramatic piece that plays in DP61 after the results of the appeal round are posted (it was used in the Japanese version of Misty's goodbye).

I really hated the contest ep. i wanna know how electric whirlpool and bubbles with hearts inside lost to tickling pin missile.And how in the world does pin missile + pin missile = Fireworks?

i wanna know how electric whirlpool and bubbles with hearts inside lost to tickling pin missile.
I totally agree with you there. Jessie's appeal kind of sucked, and it was ridiculous how Nurse Joy was like "the Bubblebeam/Sweet Kiss combo is something I'll never forget!" and then Dawn gets the slip.

And how in the world does pin missile + pin missile = Fireworks?
This is the same show where bubbles = explosions.

Also, I thought it was amusing how Zoey was getting upset about Nando being involved in both contests and gym battles, and she ends up getting her butt kicked. I think someone's jealous.

I never did like zoey, but at least i have the tag team special to look foward to. doesn't ash get chimchar.

doesn't ash get chimchar.

He does.

I didn't expect Mira to be two timing. You can never trust those uber-cute ones. At least I got to see Abra again. If it knew any other moves, it would've been the coolest thing ever.

Yes, Jessie's appeal totally sucked. To tell the truth, I had a feeling that they wouldn't continue on to the second round when I saw there was only five or six minutes left in the episode (I checked my clock). I'm glad Nando won, though. I like that guy. There's just something about a harpist in a cape that screams "kickass". Don't ask me why.

Dammit, my internet wouldn't work earlier (and Bulba's *barely* loading now) so I had to write these all in notepad.

Sandshrew's Locker

There's a lot of stuff being captioned in the intro that isn't being said.

When Mira's standing behind the tree saying she could use them, she reminds me of Domino.

Team Rocket acts like they've never heard of Teleport before. Fortunately that doesn't last long.

Everything Mira says sounds like she's being intentionally bad. I thought it was just when she was roping them into helping her, since she was being so transparent, but I guess not.

So...the town got flooded, leaving things like schoolbags behind, and yet there's no sign of it above ground? I'm assuming this was planned because of the dam, but why would someone leave their bag behind in a school that was going to be flooded?

Abra sounds like someone hawking up a lung. I know it's always been raspy, but this is a lot more than I remember.

So there *was* advance notice...but really, there had to be several months time between the announcement and the flooding. So if she knows the pokeball's in their hiding place, why didn't she look there right away?

Meowth likes pirates?

This "Fried Dynamite" thing is fucking stupid. How do we bring in female viewers? No idea! We'll market a nice gender-neutral show on a mucho macho themed block!

Yeah, who leaves their SHOES at a school? Especually a school that's going to be flooded?

Oh dammit! They captioned it as "anchor's away"! Anchor's what? What belongs to the anchor?

Mira's a Rocket fan? That's fucking awesome. But I get the feeling she's either playing them for chumps or--yep, playing them for chumps. Damn. I'd totally love to see someone like Hitoshi on the show, who *really* wants to be a Rocket.

That's it? That's all it took? Looking in a desk? They couldn't have done that, y'know, before they moved or something?

Sandshrew sounds horrible.

Oh yeah, kidnap a TELEPORTING pokemon in a net it's already escaped from. Wait what? Did Team Rocket actually do something resourceful for once? And could this be used to capture a certain runaway psychic experiment? And of course we'll never hear about it in the hands of anyone who could use it as such.

Wait, Jesse's actually using Dustox in a battle?

Sandstorm must have a *very* limited range of effect if no one standing behind them is affected by it.

Hearthome City's a lot smaller than it should be. Most of the cities in the show are a lot *bigger* than in the games. Unless we're only seeing a veeeery small part of it.

Dawn's Early Night!

When Ash runs into the door...is that an edit? Those impact stars didn't seem right.

Kricketune trills, but it captions it as some musical notes.

Dawn doesn't think a Gym Leader should take off from the gym...damn, someone should tell her about Brock's dad...So I'm assuming he either doesn't talk about his family or he whitewashes everything.

Hey! They left in a bar! There is it, "Bar", in huge letters.

Wow, continuity--Dawn asks Zoey about her leg.

Oh yeah, it's not captioning when Nando sings.

Wait...did I just see Usopp in the croud? Because there's a guy with frizzy hair and the same kind of hat.

"We go together like a ball and chain!" "And I know which is which!" ...um...

When Zoey approaches them in the contest hall, she initially sounds *really* different.

Wow, Zoey says "You know you'll look great?" and manages to sound like she's *not* hitting on Dawn.

So, Nando doesn't get dressed up for contests? That's a shame, I'd like to see what sorts of costumes he'd have.

The music playing as he makes his appeal is nice, I guess, but it doesn't seem to fit what's going on.

Seals, dammit. I can't get mine to attach to my pokeballs! I access them but I don't get any options to do anything with them.

Shellos has lips like those "shoop da woop" vaguely racist pictures making the rounds (who started those anyway? So that I may smack them).

Dammit, we just HAD a commercial break! Like three minutes ago!

Going off my earlier rant about the stupid Fried Dynamite block, why is it no network has a *female-oriented* block? It's all either geared towards boys or not marketed to much of anyone.

It occurs to me that Marian doesn't have a beauty mark like the other hosts.

Why does Dawn say "huh?" after she snaps at Piplup? It doesn't make much sense since she's not reacting to anything.

Dawn's scream doesn't sound heartfelt, more like she saw a spider.

Johanna must be doing part of a love deprivation experiment. She doesn't even want to *talk* to Dawn after all that?

That's why I don't care much for you Blackjack.

"vaguely racist pictures".

The whole point of those are to poke fun at the wacky Minstrel shows they had back then, it's actually more of a joke at people who seriously drew their cartoon characters like that.

EDIT: Although, Shoop Da Woop is a old and tired meme. But not really offensive unless Cell having big lips and shooting lasers offends you.

The new one is "black person in locations they'd rather not be". That one's pretty funny.

Last edited:
Sandshrew's Locker:

Ooh, an underwater town! I'm reminded of The Electric Tale of Pikachu.

A ton of movie 9 music. Awesome. :D It fits the episode well, too.

I liked TR's Sharpedo thingy which had weapons based off various fish Pokémon.

Hmm, a story about three girls who raise a Pokémon together. Reminds me of that .hack//Sign OVA with the three girls who share a character.

I hate Mira's design, but I love the personality the anime has given her. Pretend to fangirl Team Rocket was hilarious. Having the twerps blindly follow her no matter how many times she lied was unintentionally funny. Brock being the only one to be suspicious was a nice moment for him. He seems to be getting a lot of those in this season.

Who else thought Abra was going to evolve to go along with the game? Perhaps Mira will return one day with a Kadabra? If she still an evil bitch, I hope she does.

Is it me or does Wobbuffet sound different? Maybe that's the other episode. Speaking of which...

Dawn's Early Night:

The Big Al said:
As for the contest episode, it reminded me why I hate contests.
That's funny ya say that Al, because this episode reminded me why I love Contests! ;P

I found the appeals enjoyable, the characters entertaining (yeah, I said that!), and the drama actually somewhat dramatic. Although, yeah, Jessie's appeal was pretty bad.

As somehow who has despised Nando since he was first introduced, I was shocked to find myself growing incredibly fond of him! Something about how sing-songy he was when in normal conversation (including introducing himself to someone!) and the calm attitude of him and his Pokémon during their appeal made me adore him.

That was cool how they're mentioning the tag battle tournament now. That and the reference to Zoey's leg having been injured.

What I'm most happy about is that Dawn lost. Huh? Why? Because I've been waiting for May or Dawn to not get through the appeals round ever since I started watching the series again during Advanced Challange! It's about freakin' time. So many no-name characters don't make it through it was just ridiculous one of our characters always did. I'm so glad she didn't.

It was a cute episode, but not a favorite of mine. Contests this year are just not entertaning to me. And gosh darn it I missed the first episode, didn't know there would be two new episodes this morning. Can't wait for Feb 1.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom