• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S10 EP49: Tag! We're It...! ・ EP50: Glory Blaze! ・ EP51: Smells Like Team Spirit!

FANTASTIC episodes

WARNING: Spoilers dispersed throughout this review....

Ready for a loooong ARC review???!

In general, this was by a mile the best segment of DP so far. Lots of drama, emotions, superb BGM, and (I am not going into any more detail with this more than to say): great dubbing! It was great to see some original pokemon again (like Farfetch'd etc)

Ok, here is the run through:

Episode 1:

This episode was semi "emotional" as it brought back fond memories of watching the League battles back in season 1. Luckily, this was a 4Kids music episode, and they used all of their usual great "stadium" music.
The battle music was fantastic, but they did use the same piece twice at one point.

Anyone recognize the BGM they used at one point from season 1 battle with Blaine's Magmar? Although they cut out a segment of that "final battle" piece (ever since the switchover to PUSA, they have been dropping a particular part of that piece which they kept in during the first seasons).

Speaking of Blaine, did that not remind you of the Blaine gym battle?? Everything about it was similar. Pikachu battling Magmar, and also trying to attack Rhydon on the horn. I guess that move worked in season 1 but not in DP because of the updated abilities.

Lots of 4Kids BGM in the episode...YAY!!!! They also kept in a good amount of Japanese BGM as well.

I noticed, however, that typically in the "stadium" episodes there are lots of shots of audience applause...I did not notice this so much in these episodes.

Episode 2:

My first thought was "wow, Ash gets hit by flamethrower and not a single burn on his clothing??"

This was a really great episode. It was very emotional, comparable but not quite the same as episode 1 of Pokemon. We also got some back story on Paul which was nice. It reminded me of an episode of "Lost" (for any of you watch it).

However, as there were many sad moments in this episode, I was REALLY hoping to hear the sad music that was released on the first Japanese BGM pokemon CD. I think this is the music used when Pikachu saves Ash from the Spearows. Unfortunately they did not use this track.

Ok, I usually don't laugh during cartoons, but this was pretty funny:

Brock says something to Paul about Chimchar and then he says (not sure if I got the quote exactly right but):

“I’m not saying this because I’m Ash’s friend, but as Chimchar’s friend” ...and then you see Ash's expression in the background....

That scene was so funny because it really did seem like Brock was saying that he was not Ash's friend (and Ash responded accordingly).

and Team Rocket's eavesdropping (with one of each of their ears extended) was also funny

but what I was confused about was: Why did Paul want to give up Chimchar if he won the battle? Wouldn't that make it seem like Chimchar was stronger?

Episode 3:

I noticed when Ash was talking to Prof. Oak on the computer phone that professor Oak has gained a good deal of weight since season 1. His whole body looks bigger....anyone else notice this?

While I have never connected the two shows together before this post, there was another scene in this episode that seemed just like something in Lost:

After Nurse Joy returns Torterra to Paul, it then zooms out and Ash and Paul exchange glances- suddenly an interesting 1 second spurt of strange BGM that I hadn’t heard before plays and then immediately cuts to a commercial. It sounded just like the type of musical blurb that happens after something surprising takes place in LOST and then the episode suddenly ends—perfect place for commercial break.

Speaking of commercial breaks, what did you think of Fried Dynamite's pokemon costumes. I didn't think they were very good.

Anyhow, really good 4Kids BGM in this episode, but bad victory music. After that long series of battles, when Ash and Paul finally won, there should have been more dramatic music there and more shots of the crowd cheering. Also, when the prizes were being awarded, they chose really mysterious music, as opposed to cheerful music...that was strange.

Wow, Ash is really quick, and a good catcher. Right as Paul chucks the bell at Ash he catches it! Good camera angles there.

I was hoping Chimchar would evolve....but at least we got to see Electabuzz

I think this episode used all of the Spearow Battle BGM from episode 1!

Grade: A+ ....and I'm a strict grader of pokemon episodes...but these really "nailed it" as the best episodes of the season!!! Also, first time this season were I was even the slightest bit "emotionally affected"

According to the commercial, the pokemon movie is coming to theaters!!!

Last edited:
Great episodes, and for some reason I just love watching Pokemon in the primetime, it seems to give the show more of an edge. Other than the FD block sweeps, I liked how the episodes blended seamlessly to cut down on needless gaps.

Sure, Ash, Dawn, Brock and Paul take the spotlight, but I couldn't help be floored by Team Rocket's early lines which led a mother and child couple to rebuke them with a "Keep walking, don't look" comment XD.

So Paul decided to take in Chimchar for the Deus-Ex hellfire monkey ball, huh? Naruto-Fox-esque move much? I mean there's even an imprint of the trademark swirl. :/

But I don't mind, I think I'm just overreaching too much now.

I don't think there's much more to add, since I enjoyed nearly every part and everyone's mentioned most of the best parts anyway.

I have to say, i'm abit disapointed about the music alterations that were made although they did od the same music in the orgional episodes once per episode so i guess that was slightly alright.

Heh, and is it just me or other than Conway and the DBZ biker we've got alot of people using the same VA's heck, Sarah did holly's voice and Paul's VA was the referee.

Not much to say about the actual episodes. I notice that "Paul, you dick!" is becoming my most often thought phrase while watching this show (even when the episode doesn't involve him).

Dawn: "Don't worry, we'll win our next competition, right?" (lol, no)

Brock and Hollie need to hook up. Also, how weird of a name is Conway?

I like that Professor Oak is now aware of Paul.

I counted a good 10-12 pieces for each episode, but like always, I say that with uncertainty. Anyone else who can verify this?

poke07 said:
This episode was semi "emotional" as it brought back fond memories of watching the League battles back in season 1.
...you mean the ones that totally sucked? ;P

The battles were great. I loved how they included so many battling details from the games in this, particularaly the various double battle strategies. No complaints in that aspect what-so-ever.

Ha, I thought of you, Habunake, when Holly was introduced. :p

There was a lot of wonderful Japanese music left in this three-parter! The dramatic scenes involving Chimchar were almost tear-jerking, something the dub tends to ruin. Good job on that, dubbers. The dub music did rear its ugly head more than I would have liked, however... while I've never seen any original DP episodes, I got the feeling the scene where Conway first appeared was probably neutered by that happy-go-lucky introduction music. Conway and Slowking' weird expressions and Dawn and Piplup's reaction to them didn't fit with the music playing imo.

Hmm, so that Paul's abuse of Chimchar, eh? Yeah, the way everyone's been carrying on about it made it sound like Paul was outright beating Chimchar. It was definetly inappropriate for a trainer and some bits were rather risque (commanding Elekid to wake Chimchar up be shocking it, sending Chimchar out to battle after being explicitly told not to- which made me want to shout out "That bastard!") I still don't think it was anything too much for the production crew to ever avoiding introducing Paul out of fear out of it be dubbed. Although maybe I'm too stubborn to admit being wrong? ;P

I've gotta compliment the writers on this Ash/Paul rivalry. This arc is the best example so far as to why Paul and Chimchar's storylines are the best plot yet specificly about Ash's goal to be a master in my opinion. Paul is truly Pokémon's love-to-hate rival. It's giving Pokémon a dramatic edge like May's relationship with her rivals did. Bravo! Can't wait to see Chimchar as an Infernape fry Paul's Pokémon's asses in the Sinnoh League.

Oh, wow... We finally found the perfect girl for Brock! :D This girl fits Brock like a glove. Perhaps Brock could actual find use for the actual glove we all know he's keeping in his wallet with her! I really want to see Holly, as well as Conway, appear again. Perhaps Brock could have a fitting departure as a main cast member with her... it's the only one I'd truly except. Well, that or with some other girl, but I really doubt Brock has all that many soul mates floating around like that. Not that he'll ever stop looking for another one, though.

Did Conway remind anyone else of Uryu Ishida from Bleach? o.o Also, his Pokémon rock. Slowking and Heracross? Kickass! Oh, and seeing Heracross and Buizel as a team was cool.

Ugh, I'll never get used to Prof. Oak's new voice. But, hey, Dawn got to be cutely annoying about her hangup over the poetry like I wanted her to be in that scene!

I so wanted Nurse Joy to verbally assault Paul for using Chimchar in battle. I miss Nurse Joy being stern when need be.

Piplup was super cute! :D

I like the cosplay eyecatches... although the Ash outfit sucked. The Dawn one was much better.

I know there's a million more things I want to comment on that I'm forgetting. This is a great trilogy of episode and it was awesome to see them all for the first time in one sitting. Truly Pokémon at its finest.

So, Billy Regan as Conway, eh? Highly reminiscent of his role as Madarame in Genshiken.

But why, Zangoose? Why did you have to fall prey to Zoppi's all-too-distinctive tones? You were fine just the way you WERE!!! Honestly, it's all too apparent that Zoppi's becoming the new Stuart, but at least his James is still good.

Why was he visiting Rowen then? He's not the sort to make social calls. Admittedly it's been a while since I've seen it, but still.
I think he was just passing through. Isn't he on his second run through of the Sinnoh region or something?

Anyways, yeah, it was a great arc, and I really liked Holly, but I just can't forgive PUSA for the third episode's name. My honor as a Nirvana fan forbids it of me!

I saw the episodes and loved them. I am loving Ash/Paul rivalry, the writers are making it so awesome seriously. There team work was intresting, Ash had some great ideas to defeat people. Too bad Paul was such a jerk that he wouldn't work with Ash, I'm sure they would have defeated teams much faster if they did. I kept getting so angry at Paul for nearly attacking Ash Pokemon, he's on your team you jerk its not going to help any one if his Pokemon are taken out. I didn't mind the music that much and the voice actors were really top notch in these episodes. Chimchar and Ash are adorable together, he's one of my favorite Ash Pokemon. Also my first Brock ship I support is Brock and Hollie too bad she probaly won't return. But hey never say never after all D/P has been suprising. Any who I give this arc a 10.

Everyone else said all that could be said so I'm just going to add a few things of my own.

I have to say, those cosplay outfits? Totally hand made, really apparent with the Ash costume especially. At a con they would have been awesome, but on a popular cable station, they should have been a lot higher quality. Also the posing was weird.

I liked Hollie a lot, Brock is a great guy and that some girl sees that and likes him back, I just have to say finally! I hope she comes back.

Conway was pretty cool, I liked him. I thought it was cute that he looked so confused when Dawn started to fawn on him. Though his "Ash is the enemy" thing creeped me out, it sounded like there was more to it than the match.

I'm not a big fan of monkeys, but Chimchar was really hearttouching. And Paul is an awesome character. I think it was handled really well.

Holly - Could predict that, too.
Conway - Conway - Similar to the Polish slang word meaning Masturbator ("Koniował", similarly pronounced).

Last edited:
I think he had a thing for Dawn and saw Ash as competition. I'm not sure why that wasn't followed up on.

Hey he could come back some time. Wonder what would happen if he did, would he battle Ash? Guess that's for another topic. Funny how guy's who are intrested in Dawn is seeing Ash as there threat. If that's the case here, he could be some evil villain guy and sees Ash as a worthy person to be his enemy. Guess that's another debate, tell me was this in the Jappaness version too? Or was it dubed added?

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom