• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S10 EP49: Tag! We're It...! ・ EP50: Glory Blaze! ・ EP51: Smells Like Team Spirit!

Wow! I must say, I'm impressed with these episodes!

Pokemon USA did a really great job, better than I expected!! :-D

And now, it's time for my reviews. XD

"Tag, We're it!"

Hah, I liked the way each character was introduced to their partners. I think they did that in a very clever way! ^^

It was funny when Ash got all excited, only to be surprised (then angry), upon finding out that Paul was going to be his partner. XD

I liked both Holly and Conway. But I liked Conway most of all. I thought he was very funny!! And he did seem to have a crush on Dawn. XD

The BGM in this episode was really good. Yay! They used lots of 4Kids BGM! ^_^

And oh yeah, I really enjoyed the battles in this episode.

"Glory Blaze"

Ah, so we actually get to find out why Paul gives Chimchar all this harsh training. About the flashback, I've gotta say, it was really awesome how Chimchar used Flamethrower to get rid of all those Zangoose!

When Paul was once again giving Chimchar harsh training, I was really glad that Ash stepped in and saved Chimchar when he did. If it wasn't for Ash taking Chimchar to the Pokemon Center, it could've been really badly injured!

Speaking of being injured, I see the writers aren't forgetting to have Ash get hurt by something, lol. First we see Main Character Abuse in "Tag! We're it!", when Ash is accidentally shocked by Pikachu. And in this episode, we see more Main Character Abuse for Ash when he's hit by Chimchar's Flamethrower attack (ouch! That must've hurt!). Poor Ash indeed! He sure takes a lot of abuse from the writers, doesn't he? XD

But anyway...poor Chimchar. I felt so bad for Chimchar, when Paul released it, even though they won the match. I know Chimchar must've been pretty close with Paul, because it had been working together with him for all that time. And that was a very sad scene. It really touched me! Though, I didn't care much for Pokemon USA's music which played during that scene.

Of course, Ash was very kind and he cares a lot about Chimchar. And I think Chimcar must've known that by the way Ash was acting, he would never treat his Pokemon the way Paul does. Also, they had a really nice close up of Ash's face at one point, and he was smiling at Chimchar. I liked that part! ^_^

And yes, I liked when Chimchar finally agreed to join Ash's team. Yay! Now Ash can show Paul that Chimchar really IS strong! ^^

Anyway, I guess that's all I have to say about this episode. XD

"Smells Like Team Spirit"

Oh, wow! This was a very good episode!

I have to say, it didn't surprise me at all, to see Ash use Chimchar in the last battle of the tournament. That was a very good call! ^^

And I think it's awesome how Conway has a Heracross! XD It worked great together with Dawn's Buizel, that's for sure! ^^

Also, the music that played during the battle was great. More 4Kids music! Yay! ^_^

They used one of my favorite songs near the end of the battle. It's the song which plays in Pokemon Puzzle League! That's one of my favorite pieces from 4Kids! :-D

I was surprised to see Paul's Elekid evolve during the match. I didn't know that was going to happen! Though, with all the intense training Paul gives his Pokemon, it makes perfect sense.

And of course, I was glad that Ash and Paul were able to win this tournament (despite the fact that the two of them hate each other, lol). XD

So, Ash gives his Soothe Bell to Dawn. Aww, that was so nice! ^^ But what's this? Paul apparently, doesn't want his Soothe Bell, so he just throws it over to Ash. Hah, that's so awesome! Way to go, Ash! :-D

Ah, so they're heading to Veilstone City next. Yay! XD But, it'll be another long time before Ash reaches that gym (apparently). ^^;

And overall, this was an excellent episode!!

In fact, all 3 episodes were pretty good. Heh, Paul really dislikes Ash. No doubt about that. And these 3 episodes really proved that. *states the obvious* XD I have to say, "Glory Blaze" has an incredible emotional value to it! And as for the VAs, I think all of them (for the most part) did a great job with these episodes! ^_^

However, as there were many sad moments in this episode, I was REALLY hoping to hear the sad music that was released on the first Japanese BGM pokemon CD. I think this is the music used when Pikachu saves Ash from the Spearows. Unfortunately they did not use this track.
I agree with you. I was expecting to hear that song as well!

So that was rather disappointing.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to comment on something. This doesn't have anything to do with the music. But I wanted to mention that I really liked how Holly seemed to be attracted to Brock. Yay! A girl actually likes him! That was awesome!! ^_^

It is a shame of course, that like most girls who do fall for Brock, the girl has to leave for some reason or another. And there you have poor Brock all alone, once again. ^^;

Brock says something to Paul about Chimchar and then he says (not sure if I got the quote exactly right but):

“I’m not saying this because I’m Ash’s friend, but as Chimchar’s friend” ...and then you see Ash's expression in the background....

That scene was so funny because it really did seem like Brock was saying that he was not Ash's friend (and Ash responded accordingly).
ROFL.

Haha! I loved that part! XD

After hearing that, I bet Ash was thinking to himself, "What, Brock? What do you mean you're not my friend!? O_O". Oh my, poor Ash.... LOL. XD

While I have never connected the two shows together before this post, there was another scene in this episode that seemed just like something in Lost:

After Nurse Joy returns Torterra to Paul, it then zooms out and Ash and Paul exchange glances- suddenly an interesting 1 second spurt of strange BGM that I hadn’t heard before plays and then immediately cuts to a commercial. It sounded just like the type of musical blurb that happens after something surprising takes place in LOST and then the episode suddenly ends—perfect place for commercial break.
OMG!

I know exactly what you're talking about, poke07!

And I'm a LOST fan as well. I think I made the exact same conclusion during that scene! XD

I mean, when they showed the facial expressions of both Ash and Paul, I thought "Wow, that was quite an intense moment!". And then, they play this interesting new song, and a commercial break comes afterwards.

I think the way Ash and Paul looked at each other reminded me of those scenes in Lost where they'll have two characters exchange glances. Although, I didn't make the connection with the music. But you're right! The way they used a song just before the commercial break was just like how they do the music in Lost. XD

Tag! We're It! kept 12 pieces of music.
Glory Blaze! kept 11 pieces.
Smells Like Team Spirit! kept 12 pieces.

This is INSANE for being the dub. Seriously im really glad for PUSA's sake.

Why was he visiting Rowen then? He's not the sort to make social calls. Admittedly it's been a while since I've seen it, but still.

"Professor Rowan right? I'm Paul from Veilstone City" he said that when he first saw Rowan at least in the Japanese version
Paul didn't met Rowan until this episode
you don't need a professor to get a starter... Ash got a lot of wild starters and Brock got a wild Mudkip...

What happened to the scene with Kouhei thinking to himself that "hikari isn´t their enemy" or something like that.

Yamato-san said that a line like this was in this episode ( I think episode 3).

I finally get my name used for a character, and it's Honoka! Cool!

Anyways, yeah, it was a great arc, and I really liked Holly, but I just can't forgive PUSA for the third episode's name. My honor as a Nirvana fan forbids it of me!

I was surprised too of that third episode title that how its so close to Nirvana song, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" I had a slightly eerie feeling since I'm a Nirvana fan too. And its funny how majority are teens except for Dawn and an exception for Ash.

BUt wow, I really loved all 3 episodes, I all ready seen this in Japanese, but I was astonished of how many Japanese BGM was kept. The ones that was silent had music from 4 Kids and PUSA uses.

"Tag! We're It!" was what started it all, and it was the expressions was just so priceless one after another. Dawn partnered with Conway (which is a weird name), and how Dawn and Piplup felt uncomfortable eerie feeling. Brock with Hollie (a much better name) the dialogue what she said, "I'm not interested in younger men", and the final part when Ash was partnered with Paul, I busted laughing when Ash turned around how happy he was to find his partner and soon it got so dark. And whats so funny of all Pikachu trying to show a good example of friendship and it turned into "oh its on!" Pikachu wanted to kill Elekid for a moment there instead Ash received the punishment.

Then "Glory Blaze" this is one of episodes where were not gonna have this kind of intense energy for a long while. I really liked we got to know Paul more and the background of how he witnessed Chimchar's power. I do gotta admit though, that was kinda cool, the flame wheel, and how Paul is trying to duplicate that power which is nothing a problem, but trying to get Chimchar health in peril and the stress, that could actually kill someone. What Paul put Chimchar in, I was slightly in tears and he just kept attacking his own Chimchar. I'm glad Pikachu saved it, he was like "La Angel del la Guardia" ("The Guardian Angel" what I called) it saved its life, well twice.

Then the part that upset me about Paul is when he gave up on Chimchar right when Chimchar couldn't do what he wanted to do, its like yeah I gave up on you. At least Ash stepping up and takin over Paul's part was heroic, which of course he saved Paul's ass twice. Then the releasing part happened.

"Smells Like Team (teen) Spirit", this episode shows why I love Ash so much, Ash seemed to be the better person of what he was doing. I know some people don't like he so goodie two shoes, but how he decided to adopt (or catch Chimchar), the moment was touching.

The battles in the episodes were good, its too bad Hollie left Brock, there looked liked to be a good match, I hope we see her again. Conway I hope we see that guy again, he was funny and creepy all the way through.

Everyone got what they want except for Brock. Dawn got the bell from Ash, Ash got Chimchar, and Paul got an Electabuzz going back to Cythina's saying which I forgot. And I hope Ash proves Paul wrong of how strong Chimchar will be. I just want see the look at Paul's face when Ash gets Chimchar get that power again.

The voices were really better than usual considering I think they used like 5 people, and this three episodes are my favorite arc, so this gets 10/10.

This whole thing just ruled. The timing was right, the moods where perfect! Me and my sister had a little "festival" down stairs to celebrate. I did my BEST impresions of Wingul and Chimchar. Anybody else think that Conway was going to be older then he was? I like how the writers aren't forgeting the old pokes even as we move into a new season. I mean, in one arc we got:

Wingul
Farfech'd
Nospass
Zangoose
Metagross
Slowking
Rhydon
Magmar
Scyther
Koffing

...and probably lots of others I can't remember.

Last edited:
Tournaments are good because it means TR is kept to a bare minimum. Not having to listen to their motto every once and a while always a treat. *Mauled by Team Rocket fans*

Paul finally shows the states what a big asshole he is. But he's a great asshole and foil for Ash. They're really building up their relationship, almost screaming that this league will come down to these two. In fact, I'll be disappoint if they don't at it for all the marbles.

Conway was great. PUSA did a great job keeping his creep factor. Holly...not as remarkable. However, Croagunk's looking between his Poison Jab and Brock after Holly said she didn't like younger men was worth a chuckle.

The LOL battle prize goes to Slowking versus Koffing. Koffing's eyes shifting while being held in Psychic was a riot.

A great three episode and yeah, there was a lot of the original Japanese score kept. At least PUSA is going in the right direction.

So they changed this:

I just read through seven pages, and apparently no one brought it up. Does anyone but me suspect that Kouhei might be involved with Ginga Dan? I mean, when he brought up Tobari City (where the base is located), he started looking all sinister again. The way he looked at his glasses in the previous episode certainly gives me the impression that he's hiding something, and I'd hate for him never to show up again without any explanation as to what the hell that scene was about.

OK, I just watched that scene again, and I have more reason to believe he may return. Listening closely, I think his line was "Dochira ni shite mo, karera wa boku-tachi no teki de wa arimasen no ne." (Whoever they may be, they don't seem to be our enemies.)

For "Ash is the enemy?".

What the fuck? o_O

This arc rocked!

Conway rules. I thought he'd be a real schemer when the episode started, but he turned out to be a likeable guy. I hope he comes back later.

I like how Holly had a crush on Brock, but it was disappointing when she let him off without even telling him face to face.

YAY! Paul's Electabuzz rules even more than Elekid! I wonder if he still has that Ninjask, though.

And yes, the Naruto spiral mark was too many cool.

What was up with that Metagross trainer? He reminds me of "the astounding Mandy!"

That Zangoose scared the crap outta me.

That was pretty cool when Chimchar high-fived the Pokéball.

All in all, the arc was great, but I think the third episode is the one I'm going to re-watch.

Edit: I wonder if P.USA is gonna take a break to let Japan churn out more episodes.

Last edited:
Conway rules. I thought he'd be a real schemer when the episode started, but he turned out to be a likeable guy. I hope he comes back later.
I agree!

Conway was awesome! ^_^

What a great character! And he kinda reminds me of Max, especially with his glasses and how they "shine" like that. He's like an older version of Max. Hehe. XD (actually, I half-expected him to pull Brock away from Holly, lol)

Last edited:
Edit: I wonder if P.USA is gonna take a break to let Japan churn out more episodes.

They are. These episodes were the last episodes of season 10, according to Pokemon.com.
Reruns are starting too, according to CN's schedule.

Now we will have to wait 1-5 months for season 11 and the next episode Chimchar's tears.
Luckily, Chimchar's tears is already out, subbed.

Likely they'll start airing season 11 at the start of June with the first 26 episodes and show the rest after Labor Day like they did with season 10.

I agree!

Conway was awesome! ^_^

What a great character! And he kinda reminds me of Max, especially with his glasses and how they "shine" like that. He's like an older version of Max. Hehe. XD (actually, I half-expected him to pull Brock away from Holly, lol)

Lol, I thought the same! =P

Wow, I really enjoyed these episodes! Just like everyone else, I thought PUSA did a very good job with these, and yes, that includes the voices of course! Very great. I think, once PUSA switches dubbing companies, we can expect even BETTER things to come!

TAJ no longer working on Pokemon won't affect the show that much, Dogasu even said so himself.

Anyway, good episodes overall.

TAJ no longer working on Pokemon won't affect the show that much, Dogasu even said so himself.

Anyway, good episodes overall.

Well, last I heard the things that will change are the voice directors and those in charge of the music. I say it could affect it a fair amount.

Yah gotta agree there Conway was a pretty cool character. One thing buged me about the episode though, did Dawn have to bring up that poem thing agian? LOL.

Well, last I heard the things that will change are the voice directors and those in charge of the music. I say it could affect it a fair amount.
Hopefully those in charge of the music will burning everything PUSA and 4Kids made and just go with the Japanese score. Already they're using a lot more pieces of the original score than they did when they started out, perhaps this change will take them all the way.

^ I sure hope so. it's annoying how PUSA must have music ALL the time, silence is apparently forbidden. However a good improvement the last few eps, 10+ pieces kept in every episode.

It was kinda annoying how they had to replace some of the BGM during the battles, especially the turtwig & chimchar vs zangoose and metagross battle. They replaced almost every BGM there, and since i've watched it many times RAW; I have to say it really was the music that made that battle epic.

- Kouhei had a great voice, as well as Honoka.
- Slowkings voice was one of the worst ones i've heard in a while
- Ash sounded too girly again
- Lots of 4kids bgm in this arc. Well, at least their BGMs are better than PUSA's.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom