• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S10 EP49: Tag! We're It...! ・ EP50: Glory Blaze! ・ EP51: Smells Like Team Spirit!

Though I've seen American cartoons with the pauses in the music. Why can't Pokemon? Though, those cartoons are pitched for towards the tweens/teens demographic and Pokemon is pitched to the little kid demographic.

TAJ no longer working on Pokemon won't affect the show that much, Dogasu even said so himself.
Dogasu said that the switch from 4Kids to PUSA wouldn't affect the show at all, yet it obviously has. His word isn't gospel.

There's nothing in the credits related to who actually composes the music, and I find it hard to believe that PUSA operates on a "replace this here but not there" double standard basis, if only because they aren't 4Kids.

The Big Al said:
Though, those cartoons are pitched for towards the tweens/teens demographic and Pokemon is pitched to the little kid demographic.
Ever watch Spongebob Squarepants? Plenty of silence in that show, and it's easily the most popular modern "little kid" show. Not only that, but most of the music is orchestrated, but that's another issue - plus I don't think the light rock music that PUSA often uses (not the synth orchestra 4Kids stuff) wouldn't benefit from it that much.

Though, you could argue that it's because it's an action series as opposed to a comedy. If you go see a typical American blockbuster, there's almost always music playing.

Last edited:
Trying not to get too off topic, but before I talk more about the episode, one more note on the current line of conversation:

I did some research, and it looks like (according to Sarah Natochenney's MySpace page) the current voice actors are staying.

As for the music, I really hope they keep the 4Kids BGM. I think that BGM really help makes the scenes exciting and emotional. For instance, in Episode 1, when Ash is being chased by the Spearows (when riding Misty's bike) 4Kids puts in some really exciting BGM. The Japanese version simply used the wild pokemon battle theme...

The PUSA BGM is not good. It all sounds the same: synthesizer strings. I think PUSA is doing a great job though with keeping Japanese BGM...

anyone know why they switch of with 4Kids music every other episode?

ok...anyhow back on topic:

These were really great episodes...but why does the season end here???? I think they should have Ash get all of the badges in the same season...and then do a separate season for the Elite 4 etc....well at least it must be confirmed that we will be seeing more seasons of pokemon!!

I never though of Zangoose as a scary pokemon until this episode. Also, that scene with Chimchar using Flamewheel to defend against the Zangoose paralleled:

1) Pikachu attacking the Spearows
2) Piplup attacking the Ariados (sp?)

Also, I don't really get the part where Dawn was talking to Kohei(not going to acknowledge the horrible dub name), after he said that the bond between Trainer and Pokemon strengthened the Pokemon, Dawn and Piplup blushed, and, Dawn said, 'We blushed'. I don't get it. Also, what's the ship between these two called?

The PUSA BGM is not good. It all sounds the same: synthesizer strings.
Most of the synth stuff is from 4Kids, actually. Several tunes I thought were PUSA (like that weird music that occasionally plays when Team Rocket is on-screen) I actually heard in 4Kids episodes that I'd watch later.

There's some 4Kids and PUSA bgm that I like - usually it's the longer pieces, like that track you mentioned during the Spearow chase scene in episode 1. On the PUSA side of things, there's that battle music that actually played during Glory Blaze, when Paul turned his back on the battle, leaving Ash to take charge of Chimchar. PUSA seems to slowly be making more tracks like those, so I hope there comes a point where there isn't a need for the obvious synth 5-second cues.

Hollie. <8

Awesome choice of name.
I know. But Conway was, meh. Personally, I liked the dub. But, I hated the Fried Dynamite commercials. Ughhh...

I still liked the episodes; my sister was kind of tearing up, and that scene when Ash and Chimchar is [insert aww.... noises]

I haven't seen all three episodes yet, just "Tag! We're It!" and the first ten minutes of "Glory Blaze!" , but I'm already very impressed with the episodes.

When Paul told Ash and the others he was only training Chimchar so hard because it was want Chimchar wanted, I thought, "Chimchar's only letting it happen because he wants to impress you and get praise, Paul; can't you see that?"

Man, Paul is an idiot. Sometimes, I just want to reach into the t.v. screen and punch him.

Though I've seen American cartoons with the pauses in the music. Why can't Pokemon? Though, those cartoons are pitched for towards the tweens/teens demographic and Pokemon is pitched to the little kid demographic.

Is that what the Maid Café episode is for?

Trainer Rachel said:
Well, last I heard the things that will change are the voice directors and those in charge of the music.

You heard wrong.

NoodleChefKyle said:
Is that what the Maid Café episode is for?

No.

How many times do I have to say this? The maid cafe episode isn't some attempt to appeal to the older demographics or test the waters to see how much they can get away with. It's just an episode that features the characters dressed up in "cute" costumes for all of 30 seconds. Nothing more, nothing less.

You don't necessarily need fanservice (at least not sexually-based fanservice) to appeal to the older audience. I was greatly amused when 4Kids dubbed the scientists in the original Sudowoodo episode as Marie and Pierre, and what 8 year old would get that?

And heck, how many times has Rose of Versaillias been referenced? And that series aired in what, the 70s?

Dude, this dub turned out awesome. This is probably some of the best that PUSA has done with episodes ever. They definitely showed how mean Paul is, but they also showed that Paul did have a humane side to him during that flashback. I could tell that Paul, at the time, was definitely concerned for Chimchar. Man those Zangoose were scary.

This arc was great. Too bad they didn't do more episodes like these.

Man, this has to be the very first time I've actually enjoyed an arc. I enjoyed it alot. In fact, these three episodes had alot of emotion and generally, this has to be the best three episodes under PUSA. Excellently done.

but they also showed that Paul did have a humane side to him during that flashback. I could tell that Paul, at the time, was definitely concerned for Chimchar. Man those Zangoose were scary.

What?! That stupid stood there and didn't do anything to help Chimchar! He didn't worry about it but just wanted to see if it's strong enough for him to catch it

What?! That stupid stood there and didn't do anything to help Chimchar! He didn't worry about it but just wanted to see if it's strong enough for him to catch it
Indeed. And Paul himself said that a weak Pokémon is not worth training; he only goes for strong Pokémon who have alot of power.

Since this aired in Japan I asked if I was right and Zoey told Ash to register Dawn to this tournament
Can someone finally give me the answer now that it's dubbed?

Yeah, you're right.

At the beginning of "Tag! We're It!", Ash hands Dawn a battle pass. And she asks him, "What's this for?". And then Ash responds by saying, "Zoey said it would be a good idea for you to compete in the tag battle tournament" (or something like that). ^^

Thanks! ^_^
Now I want Yumomi's episode to get dubbed already to know what she said about gyms... I'm almost sure she said she's challenging gyms like Ash but it's strange as it looks like she stays at her home...

Did anybody else think that Farfetch's sounded very similar to Maddie's Corphish? I find that very ironic considering the VA change and the voice that Corphish was ultimately given.

The Zangoose trainer sounded a lot like Professor Oak, and Conway sounded like Harley. Still, very nicely done.

Best. Arc. Ever.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom