• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP15: Crossing the Battle Line!

Trainer Lisa

LOVED IchibanCon
Reaction score
Dawn challenges Maylene to a gym battle, this being Dawn's first ever, attempt at earning a badge.

Heh, I'm interested to see how well Dawn does in this battle. Of course, I can't wait to see Ash's reaction either! XD

Ash always gets personally involved in his pokemon training. "I feel like I should stop him." XD Wow, Pika cheers for Buneary. Jedi Lucario. Maylene is intense. Pretty interesting.

Six pieces of music today.

- Route 3 (?) music
- Stadium-ish music after Buneary comes out
- Aaron's theme. THREE TIMES! (one when Lucario comes out, another version during the battle, and at the end of the episode)
- Some random battle music during Piplup vs. Lucario

The music average now is exactly six pieces of music kept (as it was last week), so there is an improvement over seasons 9 and 10.

Wow! This episode was AWESOME!

I really enjoyed watching it. ^_^

Also, despite the fact that Staravia kept missing him, I think Ash was incredibly brave to actually allow himself to be hit by Brave Bird. :crush:

And, now that Dawn has brought Maylene's confidence back, I can tell that Maylene is a really strong gym leader indeed. I also thought it was interesting how they said that Maylene moves along with her Pokemon, because she is "one" with them.

I remember Brawly said something similar. So I guess all the Fighting type gym leaders have that "become one with your Pokemon" theme going.

Anyway, my favorite scene in this episode, was when Ash and Dawn were outside on the balcony, talking about stuff.

LOL at Ash's line there, "Whenever I have a gym battle, I get all sweaty, my heart beats faster, and it feels like I'm getting hit by a train!"

Wow. Ash really DOES get excited when he has a gym battle! XD!! (by the way, can someone give me that exact line please?)

Needless to say, Rachael Lillis did a wonderful job as Maylene. And I really enjoyed her performance in today's episode! I can't wait for next Saturday's episode! ^_^
Anyway, I loved the music in this episode. Sir Aaron's theme is awesome, even though they played 3 different versions of it. XD Still, I love all the music from the 8th movie!! ^_^

Last edited:
Well at least they kept the important pieces today; Aaron's theme.
I really miss the 4kids dub music though.. this pusa music is monotonous.

This veilstone arc is so epic, the gym battle next week is really intense and good.

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved the battle, and I am really looking forward to Ash's battle. Can't wait until next week.

I'm glad PUSA didn't ruin that scene with Hapinny on Brock's lap. They kept her nice and quiet, like in the raw =)

I really miss the 4kids dub music though.. this pusa music is monotonous.
Yeah, I completely agree with you.

I miss the 4Kids BGM. In my opinion, it seemed like they put a lot of care into creating those BGM pieces. Some of those 4Kids tracks were very beautiful. And overall, I think Pokemon USA/DuArt needs to realize this and hire Manny Corallo to produce music for the dub again. He was a very good composer!! ^^

LOL at Ash's line there, "Whenever I have a gym battle, I get all sweaty, my heart beats faster, and it feels like I'm getting hit by a train!"

Wow. Ash really DOES get excited when he has a gym battle! XD!! (by the way, can someone give me that exact line please?)
Satoshi has a hard-on for gym battles. I actually said "Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more." out loud. I know. I have a dirty mind.

I miss the 4Kids BGM. In my opinion, it seemed like they put a lot of care into creating those BGM pieces. Some of those 4Kids tracks were very beautiful. And overall, I think Pokemon USA/DuArt needs to realize this and hire Manny Corallo to produce music for the dub again. He was a very good composer!! ^^
If you're talking about seasons before 3, I agree with you. 3-8, though...

Yeah, I completely agree with you.

To be fair, PUSA is totally new to dubbing anything, and before season 11 had a wealth of 4Kids music to draw back on. I'd argue that while the quality of the music itself is pretty garbage, their composition at least is better (this is especially notable when they use 4Kids music, and you get to hear the entire track as opposed to the 4Kids dub where it'd play for like five seconds before switching to something else).

I think the biggest factor working against PUSA right now is their phobia of silence. When they use a piece to replace Japanese music, it's usually better quality and fits the pace of the scene, whereas their filler music is just that - filler.

If you're talking about seasons before 3, I agree with you. 3-8, though...
Oh, I was referring to the 4Kids dub in general, so it would be seasons 1 through 8.

There are certain 4Kids tracks which I believe really fit each particular scene in the dub. Thing is, 4Kids had a good variety of music to choose from. They could select either, BGM they created for the anime themselves (like the two pieces from the first episode), or they could choose to use music from the Pikachu shorts and the first 2 movies.

For example, CN recently aired "Get The Show On The Road" from Pokemon Advanced. Some of my favorite 4Kids tracks played in that episode.

But anyway, we're getting offtopic here. So that's as far as I'm going, in regards to the 4Kids BGM. ^^;

the plort was good. i liked how dawn and maylene battled. it was a good episode.
Ash and James had bad voices. Maylene sounded great.

Last edited:
I didn't expect Ash to make Staravia chase him during its Brave Bird training.

I liked Electabuzz's expression. My guess is Paul never did something like this.

Conally cracks me up so bad!

By the way, Lisa, I think that exact quote is
"I start getting sweaty and my heart starts pounding and it feels like there's a train going through my head."

I think we can all agree that that spinning dodge move won't cut it all the time and I'm a bit upset that Ambipom got taken out so quick.

All in all, the whole episode was awesome.

Did 4kids ever dub Meditite? I don't understand why PUSA felt the need to. I prey they don't dub over Lishan (Chingling)

Did 4kids ever dub Meditite? I don't understand why PUSA felt the need to. I prey they don't dub over Lishan (Chingling)

I don't see why they wouldn't. The names sound completely different.

I couldn't stand Meditite's voice. That was just awful. If that's a voice that's never been dubbed before, I really gotta wonder what PUSA was thinking,

Piplup lasted WAY too long. It was getting ridiculous how many attacks that thing withstood. We also barely got to see Ambipom. :-(

The rest of the episode was great though. It was nice to see Buneary get some fighting time in, and it was hilarious to see Electabuzz's reacting to the Brave Bird training. :-D

I can't wait for next week. That gym battle is easily the best in Sinnoh so far. Though I'm not looking forward to the filler music that will replace Type: Wild.

Did you see DP070? The Lishan actually said "Sha-liin" which was pretty close to Chingling. I know whatever PUSA cooks up will be highly inferior.

Yes, I saw the episode. I just don't think it sounds similar enough for PUSA to keep them.

Yet another episode where we see Team Rocket down on their knees, listening like theives.

Kinda nice to see some flexibilty in the character's roles.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom