• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP17: Enter Galactic!

Um...:sweatlol:

Well, let me explain:
Although this epiosde was flawless, 9 or even 10 points are exclusively reserved for extraordinary, fantastic episodes, like for example "Top Down Training" with Cynthia :love: or highly epic ones.
Almost every Pokemon episode is great, especially since the D/P adventures started, but some of them even surpass the rest and I bet there will be many more of these excellent ones in the future

The thing that bothered me is that Shinji calls Reiji "aniki" which means big brother, but does nothing of the sort in the English dub. So, I think they're trying to make Paul more of a dick?

No, you're over-thinking it. There's no real equivalent to that in English anyway.

I think Reggie was only teasing Paul by calling Ash Paul's friend; that's what older siblings are supposed to do, isn't it: tease the younger ones.

I know, but I loved the teasing, Reggie I bet likes to tease Paul a lot. I wonder if he could get a smile in his face, or of course easily piss him off.

Pretty good episode. Good to see Galactic make a "formal" appearance. I wish they showed a silhouette of Cyrus, and/or maybe even his voice. I can't wait 'til they show him.

The Pokemon Center scene strongly reminded me of the same scene in the Wallace Cup episodes that'll come up in the future. I was expecting May to have a cameo before the scene ended. It probably started with that map, showing Pastoria City, and I was thinking Snowpoint City.

There were a couple of lines that I did not like hearing, mostly from Ash. There was this one "day" comment that I did not like. Ash, it's night. It's not that everytime you're outside, the sun is out and shining. The sun doesn't revolve around you, unfortunately.

The lore about Veilstone was interesting to hear. Reminded me of the northwestern part of Hoenn, Meteorite Falls and Fallarbor Town. Those crazy meteorites popping up everywhere...:p

Onto Team Galactic, nice to hear about that puzzle box and the Red Chain. But about those meteorites...couldn't they have got them sooner, like the very first thing to do on the road to getting Dialga and Palkia (via Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf)? And they're so close to them! Headquarters literally. Why would they tear it down though...unless they're moving to Eterna.

Was a little upset that Lucario couldn't handle Toxicroak alone, but then again, Maylene isn't all that tough yet. After all, she did contact Jenny first before jumping into the fray. However, I was still pleased seeing Maylene and Lucario give their DBZ performances.

Toxicroak itself is really awesome. Is it just Saturn's Toxicroak that's giant? It looked so huge! I never knew an average Toxicroak were that big. That confrontation with Croagunk was pretty cool too. Screwed up in concentration against one another like that. Toxicroak's was more intimidating.

I think there'll be something about Croagunk in the end, its history. After all, Veilstone was where it came from, right, like Paul? Something must have happened with Croagunk and that specific Toxicroak, like they have met several times in the past. I don't think it would behave like that with other Toxicroak, knowing it's personality.

Right before Croagunk "saved" Brock, I didn't like that. Yeah, how old are you, Brock? Are you a schoolgirl? Do you have legs? Or are they too skinny and weak to make them run for you?

I liked how the Golbat were giving a valiant effort to subdue their Pokemon. Especially that last one that sent out a Dark Pulse(?) towards Pikachu before Electabuzz stopped it. That last combo with Volt Tackle was pretty cool.

Galactic was so calm over the whole thing! When they failed to get all the meteorites, they just let it slip and left. Saturn is very cool and calm about things.

I like how Paul called his brother like that. I too think Reggie was joking about Ash being Paul's "friend". Imagine a Stewie impression of Paul calling Reggie for his Electabuzz. Flashbacks included of Electabuzz. Hilarious win. Paul is quite the guy. Even though he's such an asshole, you can tell those "owned" moments of him and his expressions. Like that time with Cynthia. And he was smart not to make a move with Reggie about Ash.

I rarely talk about this, but the music suprised me way in the beginning as too low. But later on I ignored it. The silence I noticed wasn't so bad.

Yeah, Ash sound like his typical annoying voicey self again. No improvement from last time. And the lines he was saying made it worse. Maylene really sounded like Misty this time. And Jessie's needs so much help. That one line when her head was overblown, I couldn't actually make out what she was trying to say.

"Big brother."
I wouldn't say that's always a proper translation, as "brother" suggests more of a blood relationship than "aniki." I recall FUNimation used it as a translation of "aniki" in Fullmetal Alchemist, resulting in Nina referring to Ed as "big brother" (even though the two were unrelated).

The thing that bothered me is that Shinji calls Reiji "aniki" which means big brother, but does nothing of the sort in the English dub. So, I think they're trying to make Paul more of a dick?
"Big brother."
Honestly, do someone who's total "Badass" Paul is, call his brother Big brother in english? I don't think so. As much as I am for faithfull translations, this time it would ruin Paul's characterization.

I wouldn't say that's always a proper translation, as "brother" suggests more of a blood relationship than "aniki." I recall FUNimation used it as a translation of "aniki" in Fullmetal Alchemist, resulting in Nina referring to Ed as "big brother" (even though the two were unrelated).
Aniki can have more meanings. It is usually used in Yakuza to call older member, or by gym student toward his/her trainer. But, if it is used toward older brother, the translation is usually "big brother", if there's not some secret meaning between those two.

Yash said:
I wouldn't say that's always a proper translation

But in this case, it would totally work.

I was merely trying to counteract the erroneous claim that there are no English equivalents of "aniki" when there most certainly are.

I'm just posting to say how badass Saturn is for not taking shit and just attacking things without saying anything.

Electabuzz looked GROSS in one of the scenes. He looked like a black and yellow ball...bad animating??

Good episode...but with such a dramatic episode, they need dramatic music...which PUSA does not have.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom