• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP19: Crossing Paths

I thought they were the same guy too! Austin seemed too short to be Jessie's age though. He should have recognized her as well.

English dubs use Japanese (and sometimes Latin) vocals all the time.

English dubs use Japanese (and sometimes Latin) vocals all the time.

Yeah, unless you're stuck with really, REALLY bad made-for-TV dubs. Heck, even the good made-for-tv dubs (Inuyasha and Naruto too, I'm pretty sure) leave 'em in, or at least translate them (Sumaru's song from the filler arc had to be translated due its relevence to the mini-arc and all).

It's a shame that Kaze to Isshoni was removed, but who didn't expect that, honestly?
I think what they used as a replacement was fine. Obviously doesn't have the same impact, but be glad it's not a bad English vocal song.

Anyway, I also think everybody sounded great in this episode, with slight exception of deep-voiced Joy. ^o^; The only problem I had was that Dustox was less emotional than Dokucale in the end. But that's it. Honestly, this was a really well done dub, for Pokemon.

Normally the voices don't bother me at all, so when I say that the voice acting in this episode was awful,I mean it. Really. Everyone sounded flat and like they were extremely doped up. Everyone. It was terrible. Never again.
I would have to agree. I'm really not one to care about the voices, but on an episode as emotional as this one it does kinda bug me that Jessie's acting was done so poorly. I just feel like whoever it is that voices her just had absolutely no emotion in her voice. When I watched the raw version of this episode it did have me crying, but the dub I really didn't feel much of anything.

I think what they used as a replacement was fine.
I thought so too. I didn't get what the big deal was when I heard the replacement music, sure it wasn't as emotional, but I still manage to see the same kind of emotion in that scene that got from the Japanese version - okay maybe not as much, but it was still sort of there.

Which reminds me, I forgot about something...

Fucking PUSA.

Two pieces of music kept.
Now come on, was there any need for that harsh statment? And I'm saying it to every time something similar to this is said. Especially if it's going to be like this most of the time?

Then again keeping only two music is different, but still... too harsh.

Now come on, was there any need for that harsh statment? And I'm saying it to every time something similar to this is said. Especially if it's going to be like this most of the time?

Then again keeping only two music is different, but still... too harsh.
They've disappointed me enough. I feel it's appropriate.

Well, undoubtedly an episode which stood out because of its plot.Frankly, I haven´t been used to such an emphasis of love and romance in Pokemon episodes yet. ( apart from the two great Anabel-episodes).

This episode once again showed Jessie in her correct light.
As James and Meowth have already shown over and over again that they actually aren´t bad guys, Jessie as well proved herself a loving, mature Pokemon trainer with emotions today and not a cold, domineering diva as she´s normally portrayed.
I´ve always had this feeling that Jessie some day would turn out to be an originally nice girl who´s just got off the straight and narrow because of some unhappy events. I´d be glad if we heard some more details about what exactly made her join Team Rocket sometime.

But I would have never expected that she has such an incredible willpower and determination. She didn´t even hesitate for one second to let Dustox go. All her thoughts were guided by the care for her beloved Pokemon and all she did, happend for its sake! Great!
Being an Ash-Fan I really envy Jessie today, because normally that´s Ash´s part ^^

What was remarkable furthermore and what I enjoy watching every time, was the fact that Team Rocket as well as Ash and Co. once again worked together without arguing or fighting.
Ok, frankly, the telepathic transport of the water by using Confusion and Whirlwind was a little bit exaggerated! Such things simply bother me! Why do the writers have to destroy this great mood by building in such an illogical element? I was feeling annoyed for a few seconds when I saw that... BUT it was really the one and only point of criticism in this episode.

Pikachu and Piplup walking side by side and singing a happy song, wasn´t that kinda cute ? ^^ You´ve just gotta love them!

By the way, a litte anecdote: After Jessie had been pushed aside by Dustox and had fainted, I was hoping that Ash or Brock would find and carry her to the Pokemon Center on their arms ^^...me and my tomfoolery XD

Indeed, a great episode which you can hardly have any objections against!

8 out of 10 points!

This was a very interesting episode for me. More of Jessie's past, I like that. The boy with the shiny Dustox was the same boy from Jessie's flashback, right? They looked the same, and the names sounded almost exactly the same. (The volume wasn't very high, so I couldn't really hear the difference.)

Also, what is the name of the shipping between Jessie and Austin? (I think that's his name, at least.)

No, the boy with the shiny Dustox just looked a lot like the boy from Jessie's past. The boy from the past is Astin, not Austin.

I think PUSA should have made their names a little more different... I don't blame people for getting confused.

This was a very interesting episode for me. More of Jessie's past, I like that. The boy with the shiny Dustox was the same boy from Jessie's flashback, right? They looked the same, and the names sounded almost exactly the same. (The volume wasn't very high, so I couldn't really hear the difference.)

Also, what is the name of the shipping between Jessie and Austin? (I think that's his name, at least.)
Nah, they were two differnet people. The boy in Jessie's flashbacks was named Astin, and the boy with the shiny Dustox was me named Austin.

EDIT: Beaten. By three minutes? o.o

Well, undoubtedly an episode which stood out because of its plot.Frankly, I haven´t been used to such an emphasis of love and romance in Pokemon episodes yet. ( apart from the two great Anabel-episodes).

This episode once again showed Jessie in her correct light.
As James and Meowth have already shown over and over again that they actually aren´t bad guys, Jessie as well proved herself a loving, mature Pokemon trainer with emotions today and not a cold, domineering diva as she´s normally portrayed.
I´ve always had this feeling that Jessie some day would turn out to be an originally nice girl who´s just got off the straight and narrow because of some unhappy events. I´d be glad if we heard some more details about what exactly made her join Team Rocket sometime.

But I would have never expected that she has such an incredible willpower and determination. She didn´t even hesitate for one second to let Dustox go. All her thoughts were guided by the care for her beloved Pokemon and all she did, happend for its sake! Great!
Being an Ash-Fan I really envy Jessie today, because normally that´s Ash´s part ^^

What was remarkable furthermore and what I enjoy watching every time, was the fact that Team Rocket as well as Ash and Co. once again worked together without arguing or fighting.
Ok, frankly, the telepathic transport of the water by using Confusion and Whirlwind was a little bit exaggerated! Such things simply bother me! Why do the writers have to destroy this great mood by building in such an illogical element? I was feeling annoyed for a few seconds when I saw that... BUT it was really the one and only point of criticism in this episode.

Pikachu and Piplup walking side by side and singing a happy song, wasn´t that kinda cute ? ^^ You´ve just gotta love them!

By the way, a litte anecdote: After Jessie had been pushed aside by Dustox and had fainted, I was hoping that Ash or Brock would find and carry her to the Pokemon Center on their arms ^^...me and my tomfoolery XD

Indeed, a great episode which you can hardly have any objections against!

8 out of 10 points!

I've always asumed that Jessie joined Team Rocket to lead the life of riches and luxary that she desired, but never even had a taste of as a kid. Even though she would have to sacrifice her morals by joining the team - she would come out leading a better life for herself *shrug*

This is my favorite D/P BD. episode. I actually liked the VA, and the story was good too.

I suppose it makes sense to show the Ranger 2 episodes later on. For one thing, not seeing Lucario's pre-evolved form, and Aura should take a break instead of being back-to-back.

This episode mimicked two things, one as Cacnea's departure, and this as a mirror episode when Ash's Butterfree left with the same "mating season" plotline. Weird to see James so happy and normal, when a similar instance happened to him not so long ago.

The beginning...what the fuck was that all about? No music, and the singing...sent shivers down my spine just listening to both Pikachu and Piplup.

I never knew Dustox was a female.

So is the kid's name Austin? To represent the Austin? XP It'd be funny if they did, with some humor added in.

When I saw those flashbacks, I was like wow, he had a deeper voice? But then I thought nah, they're just different people. Talk about ironic coincidences. If it was the same guy but older and all, then schnap! goes James...hehe

I liked how we learned a bit more about Jessie's past. So she used to be in dancing? And there was a little shippyness between her and that guy? In my opinion Jessie looked more attractive as a young girl, I don't think if they ever showed her like that before, when she was young. I can't think of any old episode showing her like that.

Why would you want the rocks frozen exactly? Would sortof make it more likely for the rocks to break.

I was also wondering that too. Wouldn't the ice melt and make things worse?

It didn't really help that one of the sections on Youtube was horridly out of sync, by about 40 seconds I beleive

I know exactly what you mean. I looked at another one and it was normal. I was afraid all sections were like that.

The whole collaboration thing was nice, saving the lake, etc. Brock's little parts with Croagunk was a little funny. Then it got awkward as he was dragged out when Austin came in. Sounded like he was dead, since there was no groaning coming from him.

When they were helping around with the rocks, I didn't really need to hear the humans make grunting noises. It just sounded wrong. The Pokemon are okay. And that Happiny...I just can't see Brock giving it away. Imagine the powerhouse it would be!

Jessie smashing that Poke Ball!?!? Kinda like smashing that scouter, eh? Talk about being rough. I wonder if that's the Rocket way of releasing their Pokemon.

I wish they had some music when Dustox was leaving. Did they do something with Cacnea? Don't remember.

The narrator's last line...you're telling me that the anime will later show Jessie finding the guy she liked years ago? Right...not in this lifetime, buddy.

Overall more emotion and drama from Jessie and Dustox. I think they only do this in "farewell" episodes, an extra oomph of character here and there. So that by the next episode it can all be forgotten.

So pretty much we have two "emotional dramatic" episodes. This one, and Ash & Pikachu are next as to what seems as a remake of the Vermilion City/Lt. Surge episode.

God, Jessie's past gets more and more deluded. This just adds more and more to TR's fucked up past. So now she's wanted to be a coordinator all her life and attended a dance school sometime between when her mother died and joined a bike gang?

Hah, yeah it sure convolutes things, doesn't it? I wonder if the writers have any idea...

But this episode made me actually feel sorry for Jessie, just because of this flashback. Maybe she wasn't what we thought of her to be? Or will the writers add a completely new flashback to confuse us more?

Wow, I must say the new voice for Jessie knew exactly what she had to do to make this episode dramatic and emotional. Stellar performance. I wish she was like this every time.

That's all the VAs for now (others not worth mentioning)!

That was beautiful. One of my favorite Pokemon songs of all time. I'm so disappointed that they took it out of the dub, especially since the actual version used in the Japanese episode was the karaoke one.

I almost cried during this now, actually. The English dub didn't cut it for me, really. But this was great, Yash. If only there was a way to strip the English dub music from the scene...

I'm so disappointed that they took it out of the dub, especially since the actual version used in the Japanese episode was the karaoke one.
Actually, they used the version with vocals, the karaoke piece was all I had on hand at the time.

If only there was a way to strip the English dub music from the scene...
I did a new version which you can find here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeGx2slGka4

It deletes the dub audio at certain points, mainly during part of Jessie's flashback to Astin, the whole flashback of her experiences with Dustox, and the final scene with the narrator, so you can't hear the dub music as much. I didn't really want to remove the audio there, but otherwise the dub music overlapped and it didn't really sound pleasant.

JB88 said:
I wish they had some music when Dustox was leaving. Did they do something with Cacnea? Don't remember.
They kept the Japanese piece when Cacnea was released. It was an instrumental of Make a Wish.

Actually, they used the version with vocals, the karaoke piece was all I had on hand at the time.

I did a new version which you can find here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeGx2slGka4

Ah, I see. Well, wish they coulda used the karaoke version for the dub though :/ That woulda been awesome...

Anyways, unfortunately it says your new video isnt working D=

EDIT: Nevermind, works now :p

Rants being 10000x more annoying to people than before, anyone?

Fixed.

Seriously, if you hate the music in the dub, STOP WATCHING IT!!! No one's forcing you to sit through it day after day if all you're going to do is bitch and moan about it each time it happens!!!

Jesus fucking christ! >_>

..and here's the original farewell scene subtitled, with the original background music and with a VA who puts a lot more emotion into it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unzNdJwrrmM&fmt=18'

10000x better than the dub, anyone?

The VA for Jessie put a lot of emotion into it too. Not to mention, why in the HELL would they keep a Japanes song, clearly sung in Japanese, in an English dub????? I mean I agree with Jnoo, if you don't like it than comment in the raw review threads.

..and here's the original farewell scene subtitled, with the original background music and with a VA who puts a lot more emotion into it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unzNdJwrrmM&fmt=18'

10000x better than the dub, anyone?

I'm gonna be a dick and say that both Michelle Knotz and Megumi Hayashibara showed about the same emotion in that scene. Megumi is a little better overall, but in that scene, they were about equal.

I see what people were saying about that scene though. Though the acting was the same, the music was excellent. But unless there was an instrumental version of that song, then there was no way it was going to make it into the dub.

The VA for Jessie put a lot of emotion into it too. Not to mention, why in the HELL would they keep a Japanes song, clearly sung in Japanese, in an English dub????? I mean I agree with Jnoo, if you don't like it than comment in the raw review threads.
I'm sorry Pokemon USA, a billion dollar company, can't afford to dub a song, something I could do in my basement. Seriously.

Besides, it's not like leaving songs in Japanese is some bizarre and new concept. Just look at movies 5 and 6.

Duckgon Z said:
But unless there was an instrumental version of that song, then there was no way it was going to make it into the dub.
There is an instrumental version of that song. All it would require on PUSA's part is a little extra money, but I guess that 12 billion dollars Nintendo makes in profit every year is going towards paying their music composers as it is.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom