• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP26: The Thief That Keeps on Thieving!

*If PUSA dubs the ranger episodes, we won't be seeing Yanma for about 8 episodes. I remember how shocked I was to read about Yanmega's capture/evolution on these very boards.

I don't get how items can turn into that red energy and go into a pokeball.

I really liked the idea of the ball scanner, but I do wish to hear what Geovanni would say. Team Rocket was pretty funny as well.

Yanmega scared the crap out of me. I mean... can you say evil?

Heh, personally when I hear its voice, I keep thinking more of a robotic mastermind heh.

Let me repeat myself: YES, they kept the voice, eh heh heh.

And Casual Furi, more like around 4-5 episodes before we see Yanmega again.

I really liked this episode! I wonder who voiced Tyler's Piplup because it surely did not sound like Michele Knotz did it. Does anyone have any idea?

I'm also glad they kept Yanmega's voice. I don't see why they'd need to change it anyways. A very nice episode overall. :)

Like most people here, I too am glad they kept Yanmega's Japanese voice. I actually had high hopes that it would be kept, it isn't the kind of voice you expect to be changed (although that hasn't always been true).

And I don't even know the correct way to describe a voice like Yanmega's.

True, but you'd have to answer to Rukia Kuchiki for the rights to the name.
I'm glad you knew where I was coming from with that.

Jessie caught/evolved Yanmega in DP080. It won't appear aain till 084. Not too bad, but PUSA wll probably air the two ranger spcials before 84. Come to think of it, maybe I did exagurate. Still, why did the writers give her Yanmega if they don't ever showcase it?

Even now that we're on DP 99, Yanmega's only appeared in around 5 episodes. Is it even in High Touch?

The last song at the end was from movie 9 (Manaphy). Weird, it was played 3-4 times during Wallace Cup and they replaced every single one. But this time, they kept it.
The music that the Japanese producers use at the end of a lot of episodes? PUSA is weird with that piece. They'll keep it occasionally, but more often than not replace it, kind of like Satoshi's new theme.

Fairly good ep and nice to see the music guys have actually created a piece of music that's similar to Maemuki Rocket-Dan which I thought was just as catchy :)

Fairly good ep and nice to see the music guys have actually created a piece of music that's similar to Maemuki Rocket-Dan which I thought was just as catchy :)
Yeah, I was surprised when I heard it, I actually thought for a moment that they used an instrumental of it.

Also, PUSA actually kept eight pieces today.

I'd like to think that PUSA would create more alternative music based on the the Japanese themes that they would replace as it makes a refreshing change. As I said I found their style of a Maemuki Rocket-Dan type theme just as catchy as the original.

I'd like to think that PUSA would create more alternative music based on the the Japanese themes that they would replace as it makes a refreshing change. As I said I found their style of a Maemuki Rocket-Dan type theme just as catchy as the original.
They should make actual ending themes, too.

This episode was good because it combined elements of many different episodes. We had a "campfire" scene (which in my opinion could have lasted longer), a Giovanni scene (which we haven't seen in a while), a typical child "character of the day", and flashbacks!

What does everyone mean by "Maemuki Rocket-Dan type theme" PUSA BGM? When is this played during the episode?

I also had some other BGM questions:

1) Was the first piece in the episode dub or Japanese?
2) Was the "silly" sounding piece that played when they battled team rocket the first time PUSA or Japanese?

I still have problems with the sound mixing. I thought it had gotten better, but I just watched a dub under TAJ, and the sound was 100x better. They need to turn down the sound FX volume, and turn up the BGM volume, to start.

I thought it was REALLY funny when Jessie stuck out her tongue:

Jessie: "Go be losers somewhere else!"
Ash: "Oh yeah?! How are ya gonna make us do that?!"
Jessie: Sticks out tongue

On a shallow level, it is funny because the sound is completely unexpected and immature.
With further thought, it is really funny because if it were in real life, a person would probably do that if they knew they couldn't win but didn't want to admit it...like Jessie (probably)

Rating: B+

Meh, this episode further proves how much PUSA needs to get their fingers out of their ass*s and start dubbing the Japanese vocal songs. No Team Rocket song a'la Pappa Para Para Para Para! really sucked.

Things get dicey whenever you have to rewrite songs. Often times it's just easier and more cost effective to write a new song than use the existing one.

1) Was the first piece in the episode dub or Japanese?
PUSA.

2) Was the "silly" sounding piece that played when they battled team rocket the first time PUSA or Japanese?
PUSA. It's also the "Maemuki Rocket Dan"-esque piece.

For reference, here's what music was Japanese:
- The piece that plays during Tyler's battle against Yanma (before Jessie interferes).
- The Team Rocket motto pieces. There were three versions of the Sinnoh motto and two of the Kanto motto.
- The piece when Delibird flies off with Yanma.
- The piece at the end of the episode (this is a pretty fscking awesome piece, by the way)

Last edited:
Man, Tyler reminds me of all those little kids we've met in the past.

Was he suppose to be 10 years old? He looked younger than Ash and Dawn for some reason.

Man, I really miss Giovanni. Its a shame he can't appear more, just think about how awesome it would be if Team Rocket got involved with the Galactic story...

Man, I really miss Giovanni. Its a shame he can't appear more, just think about how awesome it would be if Team Rocket got involved with the Galactic story...

Nothing saying he can't. Heck, look at all the surprises we've had so far already. That would be like sweet sweet candy.

If they wanted to be REALLY fanservicey, they could include the Rayquaza in that story.

Nothing saying he can't. Heck, look at all the surprises we've had so far already. That would be like sweet sweet candy.

If they wanted to be REALLY fanservicey, they could include the Rayquaza in that story.

:banghead:

If it didn't happen in the games, what on earth makes you think that it'll be possible in the anime?

Team Rocket is no longer the main villainous force in Pokémon. It no longer needs focus since it's not associated at all with the new villans. Hell, they even introduced a new anime-exclusive villain that basically did the exact same thing Team Rocket was originally known for.

Also, why on earth are people still banking on them expanding on that goddamn movie clip? It was only there to show as an example of how humans can mistreat Pokémon.

I'm willing to bet that Rayquaza, if it really did get caught, somehow escaped and is still flying around.

Re: the people feeling sorry for J&J, since Gio apparently didn't like the gift...

Now, I came in about a minute or two late, so maybe I missed something (J&J had already stolen Yanma by then), but I don't see how J&J were THAT deluded this time around. The only reason Gio didn't seem to keep it was that they already had a bunch caught recently. If he truly didn't want it, he wouldn't have asked how many they had. He also (unless I'm mistaken) taught the little thing a decent move before he gave it back. Again, unless I'm missing something, Giovanni seemed to actually do his job in this ep. I'm hoping something is afoot. I know TR is "old news" ... but I can't help liking them more ... FAR more, actually ... then any of the other teams. Giovanni has rebuilt his HQ (and seems to be doing pretty well) after getting his behind handed to him (and losing his gym job) and he seemed interested in expanding into Hoenn (though I don't recall hearing anything about how that worked out after Aqua/Magma disbanded). I WANT to see Giovanni take back his awesomeness.

Re: the people feeling sorry for J&J, s He also (unless I'm mistaken) taught the little thing a decent move before he gave it back.
^But when he scanned Yanma, didn't it already know the move? TR only assumed he taught it.
This is one of my favourite episodes. Pippy was as cute as ever.

I'm content with this episode. As I've already said a few times before, I hate the word "filler", so let's call this one a normal Pokemon episode without special highlights but jazzed up with some neat and surprising elements. The latter made this episode entertaining and exciting and therefore a pleasure to watch.

Only two things bothered me a bit:
Firstly, there's Tylor, which, sorry for having to say that, was portrayed too wimp-like frankly. Although you have to grant him that he's still a beginner, I don't like the whole idea very much of making "newbies" turn up now and then, because especially Ash has already come too far to still have to deal with beginners after almost 550 episodes.
Please don't get me wrong, helping others is one of the most important duties both in our world and in the Pokemon world, but shouldn't the writers gradually portray Ash as a bit more "selfish" trainer who is pursuing his own goals?
On the other hand, just episodes with an epic plot wouldn't be possible either, so, perhaps, it would be the best, if the writers left the "development aid"-part to Brock.
Secondly, the name of Tylor's Piplup was inappropriate! "Pippy"...omg! Are we talking about Teletubbies? You don't call your best friend and battle partner like a baby!That guy, although being nice and likeable, should first of all become aware of what it needs to be a successful Pokemon Trainer.

Now, I wanna enumerate those aforementioned neat elements:

Giovanni finally appeared again and Team Rocket actually managed to send him their first caught Pokemon - after 548 episodes. What a success! :naughty:

btw. Could somebody tell me, what Team Rocket said while standing on top of the hill and looking after Delibird? Unfortunately, I didn't understand every word acoustically, because it was a bit unclear.

Also, Team Rocket's reverence for "the gift of the boss" was hilarious. Seeing their faces every time Yanmega was hit, was just priceless :XD2:

Moreover, Yanmega itself was surely kinda creepy. It didn't scare me, but I think it'll be Jessie's new powerhouse. From now on, Ash, Dawn and Brock will have to deal with a serious and quite powerful opponent. But what I didn't like at all: Yanmega made Chimchar look weak! NO!!! I don't wanna see that! Chimchar should have beaten the hell out of the insect-Pokemon!

The best aspect of today's episode was definitely Ash cheering up Tylor and, by doing so, serving as a shining example again! (This somehow reminds me of the Hoenn episode in which the boy with the Plusle and Minun modeled himself on Ash! I loved this "Master Ash" title :naughty:)

Apart from Tylor being a bit clumsy and having given his Pokemon an unacceptable name, this episode offered great surprises, featured awesome Pokemon and portrayed Ash as the Hero of the Day, just as he deserves it!

6,5 out of 10 points!

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom