• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP26: The Thief That Keeps on Thieving!

an Oddish could be able to defeat Yanmega in the current JP episode

Imagine Tyler calling his Empoleon Pippy?

Imagine Tyler calling his Empoleon Pippy?
Probably, that won't happen! :naughty:
I consider him one of the weaker trainers, compared to all the other ones Ash and Co. have encountered so far.

Give him a break, he said he only just started training a week ago. The episode was around him making his very first Pokémon catch for christ's sake!

Pokémon training may actually be alot harder then how it is portrayed in the games and the anime.

There isn't just capturing Pokémon and making them battle, there's also mantainence and caring for them, also bonding with them and taking care of yourself in the process.

It was ok I guess. I liked 3 things in this ep:

1. Pippy's sassiness was very cute. Something we dont see with the resident Piplup anymore.
2. If you watch closely, Delibird's tail unrolls! I always wondered about that thing
3. They kept Yanmega's scary voice!

Otherwise, meh, typical PUSA production.

Give him a break, he said he only just started training a week ago. The episode was around him making his very first Pokémon catch for christ's sake!

Pokémon training may actually be alot harder then how it is portrayed in the games and the anime.

There isn't just capturing Pokémon and making them battle, there's also mantainence and caring for them, also bonding with them and taking care of yourself in the process.

Although you have to grant him that he's still a beginner, I don't like the whole idea very much of making "newbies" turn up now and then, because especially Ash has already come too far to still have to deal with beginners after almost 550 episodes.
so, perhaps, it would be the best, if the writers left the "development aid"-part to Brock.

I partly agree with you, but there's still the problem with the unappropriate name of his Piplup

Could you imagine this guy being gym leader, for example, and calling his Prinplup or Empoleon "Pippy"? I don't want to think about how he would appear to his challengers. (btw. Would you respect him as a gym leader?)...Just imagine what Paul would say. :-| Not that Paul's opinion was that important, but let's just hope that Tyler will make something of himself, because, nevertheless, he's a likeable guy

Last edited:
DashingFox said:
^But when he scanned Yanma, didn't it already know the move? TR only assumed he taught it.
This is one of my favourite episodes. Pippy was as cute as ever.

I thought the grunt said it COULD learn those moves ... but I'm not sure ... I was only half paying attention. :p

^But when he scanned Yanma, didn't it already know the move? TR only assumed he taught it.
This is one of my favourite episodes. Pippy was as cute as ever.

I'm pretty sure TR's compy mentioned the moves that Yanma knew. The same kind of technology is in Pokédexes as well, since Paul uses his to determine what moves the Pokémon he caught knew as well.

I partly agree with you, but there's still the problem with the unappropriate name of his Piplup

Could you imagine this guy being gym leader, for example, and calling his Prinplup or Empoleon "Pippy"? I don't want to think about how he would seem to his challengers. (Would you respect him as a gym leader?)...Just imagine what Paul would say. :-| Not that Paul's opinion was that important, but let's just hope that he'll make something of himself, because, nevertheless, he's a likeable guy

Honestly, I don't see why you need to complain about that. Sure it's a silly name, but it's his Pokémon, and if he wants to call Pippy by that name, then it's his choice.

Besides, he could always change it since he's Pippy's original trainer ;)

If they ever do remake gold and silver like you keep hearing through the grapevine, then Team Rocket can become a force again...when they released Fire Red and Leaf Green Team Rocket was still present...and apparently those games were set in modern day time with Ruby/Sapphire.

So I still think a showdown with Giovanni can come...and even if Giovanni is defeated I don't see why Jessie and James wouldn't still follow them saying that they will do such and such to bring the boss back...

I still think that Jessie and James should have been affiliated with the new teams every season.

Has the boss shown up past this episode?

:banghead:

If it didn't happen in the games, what on earth makes you think that it'll be possible in the anime?

I'm not following. Lance had nothing to do with Aqua/Magma in the games--he didn't even come to Hoenn and was never once mentioned!--yet they had no trouble bringing him onto the show. Wallace has no connection to Sinnoh in the games and his being a Contest master seems to have originated in Special, yet there you have it. Oh yes, and a little place called the Orange Islands.

Alternately there's things that happened in the games that *didn't* happen on the show, such as anything involving Silph (which was HUGE in the games).

Team Rocket is no longer the main villainous force in Pokémon. It no longer needs focus since it's not associated at all with the new villans. Hell, they even introduced a new anime-exclusive villain that basically did the exact same thing Team Rocket was originally known for.

If you're refering to J, she's a bounty hunter who sells off to *others*. Her power is limited to her assignments and the function thereof. In short, she's beholden to whoever hires her. If anything, she's more like Vicious than Giovanni, only without the traitorous tendancies since she has no single person or employer to rebel against.

Also, why on earth are people still banking on them expanding on that goddamn movie clip? It was only there to show as an example of how humans can mistreat Pokémon.

I'm willing to bet that Rayquaza, if it really did get caught, somehow escaped and is still flying around.

Because it exists, that's why. They went out of their way to not only show someone *attempting* to capture it, but someone *succeeding*, and that "someone" being none other than Team Rocket.

They could have used any random character, make one up, whatever. They could have used any random pokemon. But they didn't. They had Team Rocket, and they had a Legendary.

And if you notice, I never once "banked on it". I said it would be cool. There's a huge difference.

Also I didn't see the ep but someone played a clip for me, and when Giovanni says "Let's see" he sounds exactly like Fat Tony. It was hilarious, especially since all things considered Giovanni at least doesn't *sound* stereotypically Italian.

I'm not following. Lance had nothing to do with Aqua/Magma in the games--he didn't even come to Hoenn and was never once mentioned!--yet they had no trouble bringing him onto the show. Wallace has no connection to Sinnoh in the games and his being a Contest master seems to have originated in Special, yet there you have it. Oh yes, and a little place called the Orange Islands.

Those are completely different things. The examples you just listed are single persons who really only appeared out of the blue, either at the very climax (Lance) or in a storyline that's completely unrelated (Wallace). Meanwhile, I'm refering to entire organizations who's very presence drives the evil villain plot.

They are certainly not going to shaft a new organization that's a big feature in the newest set of games in favour of low-aspiring thevies who don't even get a tiny cameo in said games.

If you're refering to J, she's a bounty hunter who sells off to *others*. Her power is limited to her assignments and the function thereof. In short, she's beholden to whoever hires her. If anything, she's more like Vicious than Giovanni, only without the traitorous tendancies since she has no single person or employer to rebel against.

Guh? How is that any different from what Team Rocket does? They both steal Pokémon for profit. It doesn't exactly matter what, why and how they achieve it, the goal's still the same for both Team Rocket and J's crew: Steal Pokémon using unfair methods and sell to the highest bidder.

Where do you think Team Rocket gets their funding from? What on earth would Team Rocket need thousands of Yanma or any other Pokémon they've gotten for?

I'm just utterly sick of the Team Rocket fan wanking. That's all.

They are a villianous force, yes, but they may *shock* not be the biggest one on the planet at this moment.

or perhaps not just in that region...what I'm more suprised about is that they had little to no apperances in the Battle Frontier saga if supposidly that was to take place in Indigo.

I don't even know why they made it take place there when they revisted NOTHING from the first season

Those are completely different things. The examples you just listed are single persons who really only appeared out of the blue, either at the very climax (Lance) or in a storyline that's completely unrelated (Wallace). Meanwhile, I'm refering to entire organizations who's very presence drives the evil villain plot.

They are certainly not going to shaft a new organization that's a big feature in the newest set of games in favour of low-aspiring thevies who don't even get a tiny cameo in said games.

Low-aspiring thieves? They're out to rule the world and that's a low aspiration? Sure compared to Galactic, but *anything* would be small compared to that.

Guh? How is that any different from what Team Rocket does? They both steal Pokémon for profit. It doesn't exactly matter what, why and how they achieve it, the goal's still the same for both Team Rocket and J's crew: Steal Pokémon using unfair methods and sell to the highest bidder.

See, there you're thinking only of the GAME Rockets, who were weak and pathetic. On the show they do that, but it's far from the ONLY thing they do.

Where do you think Team Rocket gets their funding from? What on earth would Team Rocket need thousands of Yanma or any other Pokémon they've gotten for?

Distribution to agents, test subjects in the lab...and who knows? They'll probably sell some. But you seem to be stuck *only* on the game version, and as SO MANY PEOPLE keep repeating, GAMES=/=ANIME.

I'm just utterly sick of the Team Rocket fan wanking. That's all.

They are a villianous force, yes, but they may *shock* not be the biggest one on the planet at this moment.

And no one's saying they are. Name me one person who says they are.
And given that we only see a very small part of that world, Galactic may not be either. It could be someone we haven't seen...or even someone we wouldn't suspect (for all we know, Miror B could rule all of North, Central, and South America by this point, but we wouldn't hear about it not because of lack of scope, but because it isn't part of Ash's story).

I don't even know why they made it take place there when they revisted NOTHING from the first season

My guess is that they didn't want to invent an entirely new "region" like they did with the Orange Islands.

Perhaps they could have set it on the Sevii Islands, but then people would complain that it would be too much like the Orange Islands.

Pokémon fans will take ANYTHING as canon and swear to it. Even if it's a direction that's not likely to be revisited.

Not likely doesn't mean impossible. Who expected to see Todd again, or Aya, or to hear anything more about the guy Jesse talked about liking way back in the Ditto episode?

Besides, you seem to be throwing a fit because I said it would be COOL if Giovanni got involved in the Galactic plot, not because I attributed any degree of possibility to it other than "it's not impossible".

Honestly, I don't see why you need to complain about that. Sure it's a silly name, but it's his Pokémon, and if he wants to call Pippy by that name, then it's his choice.

Does anyone else think that, instead of being "Pippy", the nickname could be "Pippi", like the girl's name, especially since this Piplup is obviously female? I think it does. That's what I thought was Tyler's Piplup's nickname, anyway-Pippi, not Pippy.

Anyways, yay Yanmega! It's too bad such a cool Pokemon went to Team Rocket, where it will be doomed to lose from now on. Wasted potential, right there.

Ah yes, not only is this the episode that Jessie gets a Yanmega (because that's what its really all about), but it's also the episode where Dawn's head is disproportional to her whole body. Good to see Yanma after a long time.

Okay, they didn't have to go help him. Isn't this out of the way of what they're supposed to go? I remember once in an episode where some kid needed some help, and Ash did so and went on his own way until something big came up again.

Oh gawd. I forgot that there was another Piplup. But this one's not bad sounding...I think. It seems like all the new trainers go for Piplup for some reason. Paul's starter is interesting though. That Torterra of his is very loyal to him, but I digress.

Ah, Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree! Shafted although it shouldn't have been...

Wow, this episode is so out of place. It's really unnessary, and it's only for Jessie to get this Yanmega. Thanks to TR for making this episode worthwhile, otherwise it would've been complete shit.

Ahahaha. The combined "what??" was awesome. Jessie just pwned that noob. That's the proper way, good work. And I love it how they go for another Yanma. This is fair too, because they didn't steal it. The group doesn't have to be so damn naive against TR about this.

Yes, more of Dawn's big head! I wonder how TR contacted Delibird...

Wow, this kid never camped out? He's livin' the good life, it seems. But then, all new kids would do that until they have more courage to camp outside. Yeah this episode is mostly boring, no matter how many times I repeat it.

Wow, did Giovanni actually give attention to that Pokemon for more than ten seconds? Are you serious?? No bigger plans than a Yanma? And his voice is not new either. Hehe, nice explanation Meowth. And I actually laughed cause this time it wasn't a wet dream of his. What's with this music during that battle with TR? It doesn't go well at all. More annoying and makes the whole thing stupid.

Chimchar sounded pissed when it got hit with Ancientpower. Whoa! What a scary voice for Yanmega! And it's just this very moment where TR beats the twerps just because Yanma just evolved. That voice is scary. Hah, Jessie said "e-mail"!!

Yeah this was definitely one for TR. Ignore anything that happened with the kid's quest to capture a Yanma, because it's so unimportant to anything that's insignificant in these episodes. Did I say the kid sounds like Zoey? Could be her brother or something...

Yes, grunt, all of you grunt at a shaking Pokeball...it helps with capturing...

Ugh, thank God that episode's over. Next up, Chimchar going apeshit.

I didn't expect Giovanni to have a laptop with a Poké ball scanner.[

He probably got it on e-Bay after all that time they didn't show him properly.

PDL said:
Pokémon fans will take ANYTHING as canon and swear to it. Even if it's a direction that's not likely to be revisited.

Don't count me in on this, because I have my own beliefs to say if it's canon or not.

Rosakai said:
Does anyone else think that, instead of being "Pippy", the nickname could be "Pippi", like the girl's name, especially since this Piplup is obviously female? I think it does. That's what I thought was Tyler's Piplup's nickname, anyway-Pippi, not Pippy.

Don't worry, soon it'll become "Pippin".

Pippi is Japanese Clefairy too.

And this reminds me of my old dog. We named her after a cartoon dog and we spelled it Pepie, and everyone thought it was Peppy. But in retrospect, the dog we named her after wasn't either--he was Pepe. But hey, I was like six.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom